Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Chronicles of Spellborn: Shutting Down in Asia?

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Massively is reporting that Frogster Asia (of Frogster Interactive) has announced plans to shut down the development studio working on The Chronicles of Spellborn as the result of an impasse between publisher Frogster and their dutch licensor Spellborn NV.

Spellborn has had a tumultuous history. The game's developer shut down, and players were hit with a big surprise when the game switched over from a "Freemium" subscription model to a full on Free to Play game only months after its launch. According to the Massively report, the game is still plagued with many internal issues such as corrupted patches, a broken downloader,  and even a bug that forces players to change their password each time they login.

While it sounds like The Chronicles of Spellborn will not be moving forward in Asia, we're still unsure of what Acclaim plans to do with the game here in the US and you can be sure we'll be following this story to find out!

via Massively.

Comments

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Even with the best ideas you can't build a good game without enough funding, says it all about the spellborn project.

I was one of the earliest beta testers and the game has the best combat system of any MMO...

But the game without a dedicated healer/tank mechanisme did not give enough reason for people to group up... 

Its a sad day

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• jawalijawali Member UncommonPosts: 195

there is "tank class" in spellborn ;)  I like this game but don't play it anymore cause of some bugs, but still hope aclaim redeveloped it and it will be good game

Originally posted by jawali

there is "tank class" in spellborn ;)  I like this game but don't play it anymore cause of some bugs, but still hope aclaim redeveloped it and it will be good game

I didn't say there was no "tank class" i said there was no dedicated healer/tank mechanisme which is the reason in all other MMO's that groups function as they do and become more powerfull then the individuals...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• dar_es_balatdar_es_balat Member Posts: 438

This is a really good game, but unfortunately lacks reasons to actually be a massively multiplayer game.   Guilds are just a name,  world items have little to no value, and aside from learning the story of the game theres nothing more to do.   In short, there's just not enough content.

The world itself though is amazing, as are the character classes.

Crappy, petty people breed and raise crappy, petty kids.

• felinemagicfelinemagic Member Posts: 26

The Chronicles of Spellborn IS closed down right?  I tried to download it and had problems, never could play it.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I didn't say there was no "tank class" i said there was no dedicated healer/tank mechanisme which is the reason in all other MMO's that groups function as they do and become more powerfull then the individuals...

I agree. I was also one of the earliest beta testers, and the group mechanics never worked, never felt right. Groups always felt chaotic, hectic, without purpose. The same with PVP - the only PVP that felt right was 1v1, and they didn't have a solid system regarding overall PVP even at launch.

I, too liked the combat  system in this game a lot; it also had beautiful visual design and nice music; and some of the quest text was hilarious... but in their entirety the gameplay systems themselves were always rough and incomplete. They didn't even know what to do with the houses until launch, which was a very bad sign and many peoples' cue out.

Quite some wasted potential, though - it's a pity.

• jawalijawali Member UncommonPosts: 195

Originally posted by felinemagic

The Chronicles of Spellborn IS closed down right?  I tried to download it and had problems, never could play it.

there is problem with download, you can search forum for more information. Game is up and there are some ppl playing it, so you can try it if you want

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977

Originally posted by solarine

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

They didn't even know what to do with the houses until launch, which was a very bad sign and many peoples' cue out.

Quite some wasted potential, though - it's a pity.

They knew what they were going to do with Houses since the EU launch, they just never got around to it. But it was well known that HvH PVP, and what that entailed, was at least mapped and planned out. 

I had such high hopes for this title. I followed it since right after launch, and finally got into the early NA testing. The game was gorgeous, the combat was fluid, but like others said, the grouping mechanics were weak, and there was no real point, or motivation to advance. Not to mention that there was virtually nothing, and I mean nothing to do at 50.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185

Played the game for a bit and loved the combat. I would have played it continuously had I been able to get my friends to play it. But without content updates it's hard to convince someone to play.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185

I truly hope they bring this game full circle and finish it. It has some of the most potential I've seen in a long time.

Originally posted by Kilrain

Played the game for a bit and loved the combat. I would have played it continuously had I been able to get my friends to play it. But without content updates it's hard to convince someone to play.

I am surprised no other developer picked up their combat system...

Rolling combat bar, and tactical chillchoices with an FPS style targetting mechanisme is an awesome feauture ............

• xbot7xbot7 Member Posts: 112

still playing it, still loving it,

its the best and most unique game in the whole scene.

there is nothing compareable.. 

give it marketing, and it would be good,

the game itself.. is not bugfre, but which game IS bugfree ;D ?

its the best, i cant find ANY alternative.

• xbot7xbot7 Member Posts: 112

even the artwork.. i play that game, for beeing part of that wounderful peace of art.

• MarlonBMarlonB Member UncommonPosts: 526

Like lord.bachus i was also an early beta tester and have been for 1.5 years.

The game had some major plusses and nice innovations, but they were overshadowed by some equally major minusses and really .... REALLY bad publishing and managment decisions. I'm very sorry for the developers that worked on this game, they are very talented and passionate, i hope they found a new home to unleash their stuff :)

I had huge hopes for this game and still can't find any game that has this level of atmosphere, style, music and a very fun combat system. A damn shame ....

• jheegojheego Member Posts: 60

Too bad, TCoS was actually pretty good fun. I loved the combat system.

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

I have to agree.

The combat system was awesome.

• KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414

Well htis is no surprise as the Beta test of the Japanese version with item mall and the new improved content was canceled after a few months (still some nice videos from testers out there on the Beta if you can find them).

They have tons of problems with this game the only hope I guess is if the developers once again have found money to finish it because as far as I know Akklaim is a small company with no development staff.

I like the game i play it occasionally but I think the Fat Lady sang here quite some time ago.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

• kingtommyboykingtommyboy Member Posts: 543

it isn't a bad game, the combat system is one of the best i've ever seen, this game sure has potential, they only have to work a bid more on it

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    waiting for ... nothing..

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

It's sad, really. It's quite a fun game, but trying to play it is a mission. Having to manually replace files etc. I keep getting blue screens trying to run it, so I've given up.

• neilh73neilh73 Member Posts: 239

Its a real shame to see TCoS in such a state :/ 

I came to the game midway through the Acclaim beta and instantly fell in love with it. 

I had just left AoC due to Funcom selling out to the WoW kiddies and pushing the largely player-skillbased combat in a far more gear dependant direction.

So when I discovered Spellborn I was delighted!  No more gear > skill crap - YAY! 

Unfortunately Acclaim's dreadfull servers were an absolute nightmare for me.  In PvE performance was passable, but in more than 1v1 PvP the game became a complete lagfest.  I stuck it out for about 4-5 months of retail, but in the end I just couldn't put up with it anymore.

I wish that the developers had went to different publishers as this game was a real gem.  What killed it was crappy  Acclaim and Frogster, two more inept publishers you will not find.  Another nail in the coffin was the stupid regional split, staggered releases due to different publishers in different locations, IP blocks... 

I could go on and on, the list is endless,  so many bad decisions made with this game.  I just wish that Spellborn SV had held out for a decent publisher, things could have been so different.

Why is it always the innovative and interesting games that die young, yet generic bollocks like WoW goes from strength to strength?!?

MMORPG History:
    Playing - EVE Online.
    Played (Retired) - AO, SWG, MxO, WoW, RFO, SoR, CoX, EQ2, GW, L2, Vanguard, LotRO, AoC, TCoS, Aion.
    Favourite MMO - Pre-CU SWG, 3 Years, 4 Accounts, 2 Pre-CU Jedi (1 Pre-9).
    Awaiting - Star Wars: The Old Republic, The Secret World, Earthrise.