Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torchlight: MMO Details Revealed in Latest PC Gamer

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Runic Games are revealing some details on the MMO rendition of the smash-hit dungeon crawler Torchlight in the newest issue of PC Gamer.

From what we can gather so far, the Torchlight MMO will be Free to Play (witn an item shop), and the design goal is to create an MMO that "feels like a singleplayer game". As Runic Games president Travis Baldree explains below:

"our vision is to have an MMO that plays as close to single player as we can get it. It will have the same focus on relatively fast action: carving your way through hordes of monsters with a large number of hugely devastating skills. The game has to be solo-able, but players will have to have skills that make them useful in a party and make them work together.”

Much more is promised to be revealed in the new PC Gamer that should be hitting store shelves this Thursday.

View the original article here.

[Thanks AmazingAvery for the tip!]

Comments

• Christopher8Christopher8 Member Posts: 134

Please be the same or similar graphic engine so I can play on Laptop...

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079

AKA lame. TOo bad!

• Necrite666Necrite666 Member UncommonPosts: 31

"The game has to be solo-able, but players will have to have skills that make them useful in a party"...

that useful-party-skill business must be the innovational part than.

cause there's not even one of those modern WoW-style and f2p MMOs out there that does not feel like a single player game.

I hate WoW and what it has done to the MMO genre.

• onelesslightonelesslight Member UncommonPosts: 161

Will it be appropriate to call it an MMO, I wonder

• AriocArioc Member Posts: 299

Sounds kinda like they're just taking the single player experience and adding multiplayer to it and calling it an MMO. I have my doubts, but I'll reserve judgement till I hear more.

Arioc Murkwood
    Environment Artist
    Sad but true.

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039

I suppose theyre aiming to recreate Torchlight the single player game but allow you to experience it with other players when you choose to, and have skills to enhance the fact you have another person with you. The single player game was great, so this still sounds good to me.

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Can't wait to test beta. :)

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

I wish they just wouldn't call it an MMO. It's more like a multiplayer function of an already awesome game; sort of silly to try and shoehorn-label it into something that it's not.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

Dungeon Runner 2?

too bad, i liked the Single player, too bad they gonna "all crap" at once.

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• BesttheiswowBesttheiswow Member Posts: 301

lol expect the exact same game with a multiplayer mode..and call it mmorpg..they will not make a game from beginning ...

• Sad_PandaSad_Panda Member Posts: 131

I could see the addition of multiplayer functionality having a one-time cost, but a subscription?  Wouldn't be justifiable IMO.

• SinbornSinborn Member Posts: 30

Eh, MMOs are sorta synonymous with multiplayer gaming with a lobby, inventory and trade system. Stop freaking out over the terminology, peeps.

That being said, this TL's got a lot of balancing to do. Game is fun because it is broken as all hell, but broken isn't fun in a MMO context because people have an intrinsic need to feel special with equity attached.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by Arioc

Sounds kinda like they're just taking the single player experience and adding multiplayer to it and calling it an MMO. I have my doubts, but I'll reserve judgement till I hear more.

Yes, there was another game that tried that and failed hard. It was called Hellgate: London. Bill Roper slapped the "MMO" moniker on it solely as a cash grab. Unfortunately, people wised up real quick when they realized they were paying a sub for a simple multiplayer addon, and the game ( and company ) tanked. We even have a new term because of that incident: flagshipped ( Flagship was the developer ).

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608

Originally posted by MikeB

... and the design goal is to create an MMO that "feels like a singleplayer game".

We have lots of games like this already.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• TyrranosaurTyrranosaur Member UncommonPosts: 284

Looking forward to this...agree it seems more likely it will be a MOG than an MMOG but hey, they might surprise us. I'd be pleasantly surprised if it was a game about huge dungeons with large populations of rampaging heroes moving about. As it is, even if it's just a conventional multiplayer enhancement (probably with hub towns like Guild Wars) to the Torchlight single player format I'll still be happy to at least get on and play with my wife and friends.

Current MMOs: Rift, GW2, Defiance
    Blog: http://realmsofchirak.blogspot.com (old school tabletop gaming and more)

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by Unreal024

Literally not one piece of new information in this article. For those wondering if it will be an MMO or not, if you played or read anything about Mythos before Flagship went down, and took Flagship Seattle with it, you can already guess exactly how this game will play.

Im still looking foward to it, really the only thing worth waiting on atm, IMO of course.

Mythos was designed as an mmo right from the beginning, Torchlight is a singleplayer game being "retrofitted". Big difference between the two.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• prototypoprototypo Member UncommonPosts: 179

I logged a good amount of time in the solo game and i just couldnt keep re-rolling alts when it felt so lonely, a simple multi player function would have made this game the one to beat for some time now but with this F2P coming out i guess i gotta stick with other RPG's for now cause i aint supporting no CS, especially considering the majority of them dont have the players interest at heart.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

Originally posted by prototypo

I logged a good amount of time in the solo game and i just couldnt keep re-rolling alts when it felt so lonely, a simple multi player function would have made this game the one to beat for some time now but with this F2P coming out i guess i gotta stick with other RPG's for now cause i aint supporting no CS, especially considering the majority of them dont have the players interest at heart.

No offense, but what business has a player or even a customers intrest at heart. People need to quit beleiving companies when they say they are interested in what the community has to say. Companies are about making a profit, always have always will be. So regardless of if this is a cash shop driven game or a Sub model game, they have to make there money or you simply dont get to play. As they say in the real world, nothing is free. And even when it says it's free, there is always the small print. And by the way, I play Allods and enjoy it. Not because of how much they want me to spend, but because I enjoy playing games. I don't make these game's my life, i just simply let them in for my enjoyment. Cheers :)

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

Originally posted by Sinborn

Eh, MMOs are sorta synonymous with multiplayer gaming with a lobby, inventory and trade system. Stop freaking out over the terminology, peeps.

That's not the case, actually.  The defining feature that makes a game an mmo is having a persistent world.  Matchmaking lobbies are not persistent worlds.  If this game ended up having 1 world where everyone played together, then it would fit the definition of an mmo.

• NithirNithir Member UncommonPosts: 74

Yeah, i hope not! that would just be lazy. Will we still see the open world game, with "dungeons" people can enter together, as they said they would have? So tired of watching game companies do a 180 on game directions, leaving almost nothing as what they said they would have.

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648

Yeah which isn't enough to compel me to play.

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

• DarthViktorDarthViktor Member Posts: 37

I am thinking more like in the spirit of mythos kind of mmo but much better.

• SolestranSolestran Member Posts: 342

Wow, the forced grouping crowd is out in force tonight.  If a game doesn't have forced grouping, then it's not a real grouping game, despite all of the grouping going on even in solo friendly games like World of Warcraft.  You just can't satisfy a forced groupie with anything short of mass slavery of the player base.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

For all the people saying they enjoyed the single player game but they're not even going to play this game: it's going to be F2P why wouldn't you at least give it a shot?  I try tons of F2P games just out of boredom.  I never stick around with any of them and never spend any money, but if it's F2P why not?  Especially since the single player game was awesome.

Steam: Neph

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648

Originally posted by Nephaerius

For all the people saying they enjoyed the single player game but they're not even going to play this game: it's going to be F2P why wouldn't you at least give it a shot?  I try tons of F2P games just out of boredom.  I never stick around with any of them and never spend any money, but if it's F2P why not?  Especially since the single player game was awesome.

I can't speak for others, but I guess I am just not that bored. I've only got so much time, money isn't the only finite resource being used here. I'd rather play something I really, truly enjoy with people I love playing with. So far, and it's relatively early still, I am not liking what I am hearing on this front, and neither are the other peeps I game with.

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.