Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it True about Devs getting involved with PvP

Evolution8Evolution8 Member Posts: 128

Heard allot of people complain about developers playing the game and using there powers and teleporting to the pkers and killing them if they get too out of hand, one guy said he got on his horse cause a shit load of people where after him for killing them, he rode off and nobody was behind him forever then out of knowhere a player appeared right in front of him armored horse with high level gear and weapons attacked him, hitting him for 45 damage. Then another person said the same thing but he attacked back and did 5 damage with his high level gear..If this is true talk about bullshit and a good way to run your game into the ground, also people where posting about this on the main boards but they get deleted within seconds, anyone experience this? I don't and won't play this game anymore as I can't stand it but had to post this here to see if anyone has had this problem

It really would not suprise me that the young devs are screwing with the game from there homes, thinking people wont notice

Comments

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

Wouldn't be surprised. I could see them trying to stealthily weed out "undesireables" who might drive new players away via shady means as I would imagine they're desperate to keep whoever they have. Of course, it could all be just the mournful crap spewing out of the mouth of a griefer who got a taste of his own medicine. The posts being deleted doesn't lend much credence, as the Mortal boards have always been sure to bury and censor anything that isn't glittering praise for Mortal.

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• funkmastaDfunkmastaD Member UncommonPosts: 647

I believe it... then again, I believe every rumor I read on the internet.   Because I'm incredibly gullible... or just a little stupid.

While we're on the subject:  Henrik not only plays his own game, he uses hacks.  Who wants to discuss this?

Edit:  Re-reading the OP, I believe he is actually claiming hacks.  Wow.  

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

It's pretty clear that the devs play the game, but I've seen no indication that they've been up to any hijinks.

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/925694-post18.html

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/928175-post2.html

Did either of those people give any indication that it was a developer that did that, or how they knew it was a developer?

How do we know the events described didn't happen by legitimate means?

@funkmasta:  You had to reread the OP?  The accusation seemed pretty blatant (and completely unsubstantiated)

@Kordesh: The topic of censorship has been pretty thoroughly discussed        http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/274828/Censorship.html

Posts critical of the game generally stay right where they are; Posts accusing specific people or guilds of cheating and links to hacking sites get deleted

Originally posted by Kuraphimaru

Originally posted by funkmastaD

I believe it... then again, I believe every rumor I read on the internet.   Because I'm incredibly gullible... or just a little stupid.

While we're on the subject:  Henrik not only plays his own game, he uses hacks.  Who wants to discuss this?

Your sarcasm aside, but OP does raise a good point. It isn't a new situation for MMOs where GM's help out their real life friends or abuse their powers and it would real interesting to see what the rest of the comunity has to say about this and if they saw or experienced anything similar.

No, OP does NOT raise a good point.  OP is throwing out baseless accusations under the guise of "This is the talk around town, let's discuss it".  Yes, if the devs were proven to abuse their powers to gank players, that would be a major problem... that doesn't change the fact that this claim has ZERO merit.

I haven't seen a single accusation like this, but OP claims this is because SV is censoring it... which begs the question, how does he  know about the rumors that were squashed so successfully?

In short, OP is rumor-mongering.   Fact is, he didn't cite a single shred of evidence (I'm not asking for proof, just more than "nameless players are talking about this").  He didn't name any characters (either victims or SV's supposed ganktoons) or anything.  

To clarify:  I'm not denying that SV devs are playing MO; they damn well better be.  But to claim that they're abusing their admin powers to gank players is a massive accusation... and yes, OP is trying to cultivate this rumor, make no mistake.

• VexeVexe Member Posts: 549

I haven't been able to play the game in a while (Working on getting my graphics cards fixed) so I don't know how the guard mechanic changed, but could he have run too close to city where someone was saying guards?

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Kuraphimaru

Your sarcasm aside, but OP does raise a good point. It isn't a new situation for MMOs where GM's help out their real life friends or abuse their powers and it would real interesting to see what the rest of the comunity has to say about this and if they saw or experienced anything similar.

No, OP does NOT raise a good point.  OP is throwing out baseless accusations under the guise of "This is the talk around town, let's discuss it".  Yes, if the devs were proven to abuse their powers to gank players, that would be a major problem... that doesn't change the fact that this claim has ZERO merit.

I haven't seen a single accusation like this, but OP claims this is because SV is censoring it... which begs the question, how does he  know about the rumors that were squashed so successfully?

In short, OP is rumor-mongering.   Fact is, he didn't cite a single shred of evidence (I'm not asking for proof, just more than "nameless players are talking about this").  He didn't name any characters (either victims or SV's supposed ganktoons) or anything.  

To clarify:  I'm not denying that SV devs are playing MO; they damn well better be.  But to claim that they're abusing their admin powers to gank players is a massive accusation... and yes, OP is trying to cultivate this rumor, make no mistake.

You make some exellent points.  This is a SERIOUS accusation. But thats all it is at this point.  It could be an attempt at starting a whisper campaign, or something else entirely.  Until some evidence is provided, all it is, is speculation.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985

Yes, if the devs were proven to abuse their powers to gank players, that would be a major problem... that doesn't change the fact that this claim has ZERO merit.

Personally I wouldn't be thrilled if they were ganking players but that (to me) would be a minor annoyance.  Just don't let them form special relationships or join guilds.   While I never played EvE I have read lots of stories about incestuous relationships there and it's a major reason that I never tried the game.   If they want to play they should form up their own StarVault guild and give the reds a target image

Edit to add:

Some of my greatest gaming memories come from playing against the developers of a game called FireTeam.  It was an amazing squadbased combat game with built in voice com.  They went with a plan of skipping a publisher and directly marketing the game to players.  The problem is that this was over 12 years ago and they were just WAAAY ahead of their time.  Anyhow.. the point is that the developers formed up their own Company (guild) and would join our tournaments.  It was a hell of a lot of fun to kick their ass.. and if they happened to win we got to whine about how we were playing on dialup and they were directly connected image

Bottom line is that it was fun.  One thing that was mandatory though.. was that no developer could join a player company and that rule made for a drama-free environment.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Yes, if the devs were proven to abuse their powers to gank players, that would be a major problem... that doesn't change the fact that this claim has ZERO merit.

If they want to play they should form up their own StarVault guild and give the reds a target image

lol, THAT would be awesome.  Hell, I'd probably take a few swings myself (and brag about it on the forums for the next month)

And yeah, I've always been uncomfortable with MMO devs getting too involved in the politics/guilds in their game... I think it's entirely possible to remain neutral and unbiased, but that's a tough line to walk and I'd rather devs didn't try.   I'm pretty sure T20 (iirc, the CCP dev (GM?) that helped out the BoB alliance) was an isolated incident, but the idea disturbs me a bit...

It's a tough situation though, because devs really should play their game somewhat actively for the same reason musicians should probably hear what they're composing, but they will inherently have access to information that makes the rest of us nervous...

• Evolution8Evolution8 Member Posts: 128

Whatever mister wise all knowing FunkymasterD, I asked a question if anyone heard of this happening, not pointing any fingers and the people who are saying this are pretty well know PKers from a guild called the Scary Bad Guys. I just asked not accused. I honestly do believe they abuse there powers, as a matter of fact I have no doubt in my mind as most of the developers are young & immature and have been noted for bashing players and talking shit. As for the people stating that they thought it was a developer, they said the armor was unique and the mount was also, plus having someone appear right in front of you could only mean 3 things, a Developer, GM or a hacker with some pretty damn good armor hack skills, don't take my word for it, was just a discussion, but i believe these guys are telling the truth

• RaythorRaythor Member Posts: 134

I once pvp'd David Bowman in AC2, man he could type fast (in chat). He could pvp alright, killed me a couple times, and I did the same to him. Sometimes I miss that game... sometimes, lol

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

Originally posted by Evolution8

Whatever mister wise all knowing FunkymasterD, I asked a question if anyone heard of this happening, not pointing any fingers and the people who are saying this are pretty well know PKers from a guild called the Scary Bad Guys.

Funkmasta gave no indication of being "all knowing", he just noted that you are throwing around a pretty hefty accusation with no substance.

I just asked not accused. I honestly do believe they abuse there powers, as a matter of fact I have no doubt in my mind as most of the developers are young & immature and have been noted for bashing players and talking shit.

Funny way you have of not accusing people

As for the people stating that they thought it was a developer, they said the armor was unique and the mount was also, plus having someone appear right in front of you could only mean 3 things, a Developer, GM or a hacker with some pretty damn good armor hack skills, don't take my word for it, was just a discussion, but i believe these guys are telling the truth  Or a fourth thing, they were preoccupied with running away from " a shit load of people" and didn't notice someone in front of him and in the heat of the moment failed to assess the situation accurately.

P.S. I would hardly call "Scary Bad Guys" pretty well known.  1) never heard of them  2) not on the mortal online guild list http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/30221-mortals-guild-list.html    |  http://fmshop.mmoguildsites.com/forums/109985   3) When you go to their website and forums http://www.scarybadguys.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0  the only thing I could find about Mortal Online was......the game selections are pretty terrible of late and look to be that way for a long time, we all have darkfall accounts but after 2 years of playing most of us got bored and are on extended hiatus.

have recently tried dawntide, all points bulletin and mortal online and they are all horrible games that either just suck all around or belong in an early alpha state. (curse you for making me look at their website)

Whatever mister wise all knowing FunkymasterD, I asked a question if anyone heard of this happening, not pointing any fingers and the people who are saying this are pretty well know PKers from a guild called the Scary Bad Guys. I just asked not accused. I honestly do believe they abuse there powers, as a matter of fact I have no doubt in my mind as most of the developers are young & immature and have been noted for bashing players and talking shit. As for the people stating that they thought it was a developer, they said the armor was unique and the mount was also, plus having someone appear right in front of you could only mean 3 things, a Developer, GM or a hacker with some pretty damn good armor hack skills, don't take my word for it, was just a discussion, but i believe these guys are telling the truth

This is an old tactic:  pose an accusation in the form of a question.  For example:

"Is it true that the rumors of SV's dev abuse are a complete fabrication, perpetuated by a competing game company in order to slander their competition?"

I'm not saying it's true, but that's the rumor I heard.

So now your claiming... excuse me, asking if we believe... that SV devs hacked their own game and then gave themselves visibly unique armor and mount while simultaneiously abusing players?  I know you're saying they're immature and stupid (apparently personal attacks are OK as long as the victim isn't  here to report it?), but they managed to launch a game that had a budget that must have exceeded a million dollars, so they can't be that stupid... 

Hell, is SGB even IN MO?  They're the kind of guild that makes their presence known, if I recall. 

also:  It looks like no one else has heard of this happening.  Come back in a week with some better trollbait, or at least some photoshopped screenshots.

• bcrankshawbcrankshaw Member Posts: 547

This is an old tactic:  pose an accusation in the form of a question.  For example:

"Is it true that the rumors of SV's dev abuse are a complete fabrication, perpetuated by a competing game company in order to slander their competition?"

I'm not saying it's true, but that's the rumor I heard.

So now your claiming... excuse me, asking if we believe... that SV devs hacked their own game and then gave themselves visibly unique armor and mount while simultaneiously abusing players?  I know you're saying they're immature and stupid (apparently personal attacks are OK as long as the victim isn't  here to report it?), but they managed to launch a game that had a budget that must have exceeded a million dollars, so they can't be that stupid... 

Hell, is SGB even IN MO?  They're the kind of guild that makes their presence known, if I recall. 

also:  It looks like no one else has heard of this happening.  Come back in a week with some better trollbait, or at least some photoshopped screenshots.

QFT

Well said ,of course its not true

The Devs have committed so much to get this game running and stable .They are still working towards this ,why would they sabotage there own game by doing this

[Mod Edit]

"after the time of dice came the day of mice "

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Diekfoo

Why haven't this thread been removed yet and the OP banned?

Perhaps because there is little evidence to support that position either?  The antidote to bad speech, is more speech, not censorship.  It has already been pointed out that this could be a ploy.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • Evolution8Evolution8 Member Posts: 128

Originally posted by Wraithone

Perhaps because there is little evidence to support that position either?  The antidote to bad speech, is more speech, not censorship.  It has already been pointed out that this could be a ploy.

A ploy ROFL!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Wraithone

A ploy ROFL!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, a ploy.

• BevoLJBevoLJ Member Posts: 3

and the people who are saying this are pretty well know PKers from a guild called the Scary Bad Guys. I just asked not accused.

Scary Bad Guys are a pretty well known group in a number of games, but not MO.  They have also been wrong about a large number of things that they have stated in many games about things don't understand.

I'm in no way defending SV here, but to me it is quite clear what happened.  Lag mixed with PVP happened.  9 time out of 10 when pvp gets laggy the looser runs of yelling hack, cheat, bla bla bla.  But leave it to Scarry Bad Guys to skip all of that typical false accusations and go straight to "Dev's!" accusations to account for them losing a fight or gear.

The Association [ASS]

• n00bitn00bit Member UncommonPosts: 345

There was an account where an in-game GM teleported an exploiting player into the guardless town. This may be what all the fuss is about.

• PlutonicwoesPlutonicwoes Member UncommonPosts: 343

I have yet to see a FOUNDED complaint.  I used to work as a GM and I know full well that when most people in a pvp game don't win when they think they should have it was either "OMG HAX" or "GM CORRUPTION" while both are possible, it's less than 1% of the time.

This is usually just a self defense mechanism.  I have seen it over and over all day for more than a year of GMing.

I do not mean to attack at the op at all, but I have always felt if you wish to bring this type of accusation (yes, you are accusing, you have more than once in this thread, if underhandedly)PROOF, or thread should be deleted.  It's nothing but trolling and libel.

Could it have been a Councellor or High Councellor?  Also.. is the attached post correct?  Is there only one GM and the rest are vollunteer (player) Councellors and High Councellors?  Can these volunteers actually ban other players?  I thought they were just there to give advice.  If players have (limited) GM powers that would be really... really bad.

Note that the person I am quoting is a former Mortal Online Moderator so I assume he has some clue about what he is stating,  but I am not stating the above are facts but rather am asking people for confirmation of what I have quoted below.

Old Yesterday, 19:44

Lachrymose vbmenu_register("postmenu_939403", true);

Veteran Member

Location: SC, United States Playstyle: PK/PvP Character(s): Lachrymose, Lakrimos, Lakrymos

Rep Power: 0 Lachrymose has a brilliant futureLachrymose has a brilliant futureLachrymose has a brilliant futureLachrymose has a brilliant futureLachrymose has a brilliant futureLachrymose has a brilliant futureLachrymose has a brilliant futureLachrymose has a brilliant futureLachrymose has a brilliant futureLachrymose has a brilliant futureLachrymose has a brilliant future

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icegoten View Post

Banned for 1000 days due to a bug I luckily reported the day before which just as they would have it they have ignored that too. I saw that in another thread they have different bans for different things and mine was automated by a GM in game. Tried to get help with this but I keep getting told that I need to talk to a GM and apparently Pompeii is the only one who answers but he hasn't answered back for 13 days.

There are counselors, high counselors, and GMs. It's likely you were banned by a counselor or high counselor who doesn't have the proper authority to deal with it. As far as I know, Pompeii is the only GM, while the others are counselors or high counselors. I haven't seen Pompeii in IRC for a few days, but you might have better luck catching him in there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villa View Post

I am a winner because I have achieved most things that kids can only dream about.

I am gainfully employed and I pay all my taxes.

Therefore, I am fully entitled to play any MMO I wish, and furthermore, I can pass judgement on the younger degenerate generations.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• PlutonicwoesPlutonicwoes Member UncommonPosts: 343

Slapshot: 

I have not been in the 'mo world' long so I won't presume to know everything.

I do know that any interaction I have had with these volunteer mods/gm's/whatever have always identified themselves as such and given advice.  When that advice turned above what you would offer anyone else you met in an online game and became more important, more in relation to the Terms or Service, etc etc they always directed you go directly to the paid support.

I do not know for certain the tools situation if they have any or not, so I am afraid I can't help there.  I have been told multiple times in the mortal IRC room though (by mods in there) that all mods are advice givers only and have no real powers.

I hope that somewhat helps!

Could it have been a Councellor or High Councellor?  Also.. is the attached post correct?  Is there only one GM and the rest are vollunteer (player) Councellors and High Councellors?  Can these volunteers actually ban other players?  I thought they were just there to give advice.  If players have (limited) GM powers that would be really... really bad.

Note that the person I am quoting is a former Mortal Online Moderator so I assume he has some clue about what he is stating,  but I am not stating the above are facts but rather am asking people for confirmation of what I have quoted below.

Am I missing something here?  Whose talking about improper banning, OP was accusing SV devs of ganking players with uber gear, not banning them.  As for the GM structure you posted, I have no idea if that's true, and it's clear the guy that's saying it doesn't know it's true either (he says it himself).   If he was indeed a GM at one time, it must have been in early beta (since that poster posts a lot on the forums, and he never had any special modifiers as far as I recall).  Obviously the GM staff will be skeleton-crew during beta, so I doubt his experience can safely carry over post-launch.  In any case, I haven't heard much about improper banning;  I have a feeling the volunteers only have teleport powers.

Pure speculation though 

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Originally posted by Plutonicwoes

I have yet to see a FOUNDED complaint.  I used to work as a GM and I know full well that when most people in a pvp game don't win when they think they should have it was either "OMG HAX" or "GM CORRUPTION" while both are possible, it's less than 1% of the time.

This is usually just a self defense mechanism.  I have seen it over and over all day for more than a year of GMing.

I do not mean to attack at the op at all, but I have always felt if you wish to bring this type of accusation (yes, you are accusing, you have more than once in this thread, if underhandedly)PROOF, or thread should be deleted.  It's nothing but trolling and libel.

Great post. While I would like to see proof of this empirical figure of 1%, I have to agree whole-heartedly with your statement. :)

Unfortunately forums such as these allow made-up accusations to foster support and generate "hits" in the form of replies and pages and more pages of arguements and slander with no definitive proof.

These individuals are purposely slandering games for their own personal gain despite sometimes being proven wrong in later replies. They bank on the simple fact that most people browsing forums (or even websites for that matter) have a short attention span and little patience for actual reading, so they come and only get as far as mid-paragraph of the original post, then leave only remembering the title, and the ridiculous accusations by the OP.

Am I missing something here?  Whose talking about improper banning, OP was accusing SV devs of ganking players with uber gear, not banning them.  As for the GM structure you posted, I have no idea if that's true, and it's clear the guy that's saying it doesn't know it's true either (he says it himself).   If he was indeed a GM at one time, it must have been in early beta (since that poster posts a lot on the forums, and he never had any special modifiers as far as I recall).  Obviously the GM staff will be skeleton-crew during beta, so I doubt his experience can safely carry over post-launch.  In any case, I haven't heard much about improper banning;  I have a feeling the volunteers only have teleport powers.

Pure speculation though 

No.. not a GM.. a Moderator. He was one from before the game went on sale last year until their mod shuffle a few months back.  That might be before you started following the game.

As for the powers.. I have no idea what powers a Councellor, High Councellor or GM has (well.. OK..we assume we know what a GM can do).  I always assumed that since they were vollunteers, that the Councellors and High Councellors were just there to give advice like in other games I had played.  If there is really only 1 GM as this guy states.. and the rest are vollunteers... that would be... umm.. interesting.   Have you seen GMs in game other than Pompeii?  If so, we can assume that his post was drivel.  

Pure speculation though 

No.. not a GM.. a Moderator. He was one from before the game went on sale last year until their mod shuffle a few months back.  That might be before you started following the game.

As for the powers.. I have no idea what powers a Councellor, High Councellor or GM has (well.. OK..we assume we know what a GM can do).  I always assumed that since they were vollunteers, that the Councellors and High Councellors were just there to give advice like in other games I had played.  If there is really only 1 GM as this guy states.. and the rest are vollunteers... that would be... umm.. interesting.   Have you seen GMs in game other than Pompeii?  If so, we can assume that his post was drivel.  

Yeah, I came in a bit later in OB so I missed a lot of that.

Anyway, to the best of my knowledge there's no in-game difference in appearance between GMs and councellors... They both have the same robes and I don't think there's different tags or anything, so it's tough for me to say how many GMs I've seen.

I remember Pompeii saying something along these lines though (not a real quote):

'Typically, if you see them answering questions in towns they're councellors;  You don't usually see GMs until they decide to show themselves"... or something ominous like that.

Sorry I couldn't be arsed to find a link, but it definitely implies more actual GMs than just pompeii.