Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: GOA Ceases Publishing WAR in Europe, Mythic to Take Over

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

European publishers of Warhammer Online, GOA, have announced today that they will cease publishing the game in Europe, and have begun transitioning the game's operation back over to Mythic Entertainment.

No further details are currently availalble, however, a comprehensive FAQ is said to be forthcoming.

This is the second game that GOA has ceased publishing for Mythic in Europe, as fans of Dark Age of Camelot may recall that GOA announced they would no longer be publishing DAOC in Europe back in January.

View the official announcement here.

[Thanks Rohn for the tip!]

Comments

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

Glad to ear. And has a former WAR player here in Europe I can seriously hope that GOA refrains from publishing anything from now on...

• ormstungaormstunga Member Posts: 736

Last couple of months before I left WAR they were doing a decent job at least. Perhaps coz there wasnt really much they could mess up at the time. But I remember launch with horror. I pre-ordered the special edition with promise of beta access and head start. Ya right. Both were cut by several days due to all kinds of screwups. I think what was suppose to be weeks of beta access and 5 days headstart eventually (for me and thousands of ppl judging by different forums) turned out to be 3 days of beta and 1 or 2 days headstart. Joy.

Anyways, I hope mythic will keep servers in europe and it will all be mirrored. If this means all servers will be US ones, thats a shame =)

• kosackosac Member UncommonPosts: 206

why not from beginning! GOA=France telecom.. was tragic :(

• OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568

When Mythic took over from GOA in DAoC, the Euro players were given the ability to transfer to US servers, and it greatly benefited everyone (our DAoC guild had a huge influx of good, fun players from Germany, Spain, Norway, England, etc).

Let's hope the same, good thing happens in WAR.  It's a good game that needs a helping hand.

• KorithianKorithian Member Posts: 243

This can only be a good thing. Though I wonder if this is the move to free to play.

After all if you go free to play you don't need a company to deal with the subscriptions. Though I fear a little too late to save the game, short of an expansion or major update the Dev team seems to have been depleted so much its unlikely much content will be seen any time soon. And what is there probably wont warrant a lot of trips to the shop.

• SilverelSilverel Member UncommonPosts: 24

Originally posted by Korithian

This can only be a good thing. Though I wonder if this is the move to free to play.

After all if you go free to play you don't need a company to deal with the subscriptions. Though I fear a little too late to save the game, short of an expansion or major update the Dev team seems to have been depleted so much its unlikely much content will be seen any time soon. And what is there probably wont warrant a lot of trips to the shop.

This is not a move to F2P, it's the end of their contract and Mythic is deciding not to renew, probably based on player feedback since yanno, Mythic actually listens to that kind of stuff.

Just take it as good news and relax a little.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

It is possible the GOA decided not to offer their service to Mythic since both games are a fraction of what they were.  Whatever the real story, less than 2 years is a very strange duration for a contract.  I'm guessing someone exercised an option to get out of the deal. 

Also if Mythic listened to their players, they wouldn't have signed up with GOA after the feedback about GOA from DAOC players.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by Daffid011

It is possible the GOA decided not to offer their service to Mythic since both games are a fraction of what they were.  Whatever the real story, less than 2 years is a very strange duration for a contract.  I'm guessing someone exercised an option to get out of the deal. 

Also if Mythic listened to their players, they wouldn't have signed up with GOA after the feedback about GOA from DAOC players.

In any event, given the past performance of GOA, this would seem to be a positive change for European players.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• DimensionalDimensional Member Posts: 79

This is excelleent news this would probably the crux to be me to resubribe as the major problem about WAR was it's lack of players.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Originally posted by Rohn

In any event, given the past performance of GOA, this would seem to be a positive change for European players.

Definitely! GOA did seem better in WAR than in DAoC but... I couldn't sub past my first month with my credit card. I was so put off by the experience of their sloppiness I opted out of subbing for the European version of the game all together. I played the American one a bit instead.

I can't say I'm surprised that Mythic are going this route considering what has happened with the GOA servers in DAoC. I hope it makes things better for the game and the players as a whole.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• GnazonGnazon Member Posts: 442

This is great new, it's a shame that it has taken Mythic this long to do it.

• EbanyEbany Member UncommonPosts: 56

Let this game die! I pre-ordered the collectors edition and have supported it till now, but no more.  I have very few fond memories, but many many regrets.