Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do people really hate Paladin Classes because WoW has Paladins?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Do people really hate Paladin Classes because WoW has Paladins?

I am finding this interesting. The hatred that the MMORPG community has towards Paladins, all because WoW has a class called Paladins.

What bother me most about this, is that most of the people here also claim to be MMORPG Old School vets,

Yet you resent idea concepts WoW has, but that reason alone (Because WoW has it).

Correct Me if I am wrong, But doesnt Everquest, a game much older then WoW, also have Paladins?

What about Dungeons and Dragons? Does that have Paladins?

What spike my interest on this subject, was a thread I read here http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/paladin-knight-speculation-p198687.html#post198687

by raspberry jam

What makes a Warrior and Assassin not a cliche, but the Paladin a cliche?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do People truely recent ideas that WoW has? Even if they were taken from older games before it?

How about you, MMO Vets? Do you also perform in this action of bashing ideas and concepts, for the sole reason that WoW Has it?

If So, how can you expect newer MMORPG to come out, with similar concepts to your older MMO games, if WoW decides to take another old concept.

If you dont believe such a thing can happen, just take a look at many of the newer MMORPG games.

Let me post an example.

Back before WoW's first expansion, TBC, People would complain about the long travel times in WoW.

So from this outcome, many WoW haters, began to encourage Developers of new MMORPGs, not to go down this path. And Hence the Tier Load Screen Zones were born.

Warhammer, Guild Wars, AoC.

And more will come in time, because the Old School vets decided to ally with WoW haters just to bash WoW, but failed to realize these same WoW haters were bashing the very concept that you enjoyed from your pass MMORPG.

So now you can kill Seamless Persistent Worlds goodbye.

_--------------------------

many people like this, have doomed the MMORPG genre.

You choose the pride of being a WoW Hater

over the pride of being the community to encourage developers to making Good Games.

Well GG people. 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

I dislike Paladins because they were the douche-bag class in EQ1.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Did not like them in EQ either.

DDO is just...just...so not D&D.

As for WoW, it is not just because of Paladins - it is Blood Elf Paladins.

The idea of the "Holy Knight" generally goes over well with many folks, since so many various religious orders aside from Chrisianity have had them - you will find them in all sorts of "genres" of games, books, etc.

So in the end, it is pretty much just a case that Blood Elf Paladins are that annoying...

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

I don't hate paladins.  I even have roled some.  Paladins can make for a good offtank, I think.  Is a bit of hibrid class. we have to admit. 

I don't know how play in a game like WoW, because is a very simplitic MMORPG,   wow is like a tutorial to enter people to the mmorpg world, but on most games a paladin is a mele class with some anti-evil or self-healing powers. 

• BesttheiswowBesttheiswow Member Posts: 301

What you saying?? I love paladins..i allways roll paladin in mmorpgs, but yeat i think in wow only humans / allies should have paladins...thats when Blizzard started fuck!ng up wow...there are some things that should never change.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I don't let one game affect how I think of similar elements in another.

I also don't let people's unanimous choice of a class affect how I think of a class.

Essentially the only opinon that matters is my own regardless of how that element or class is depicted or treated by others and I let that element or class speak for itself.

Otherwise I'm letting other people dictate what I should think and feel.

and that would be just plain nutty. image

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by VirusDancer

Did not like them in EQ either.

DDO is just...just...so not D&D.

As for WoW, it is not just because of Paladins - it is Blood Elf Paladins.

The idea of the "Holy Knight" generally goes over well with many folks, since so many various religious orders aside from Chrisianity have had them - you will find them in all sorts of "genres" of games, books, etc.

So in the end, it is pretty much just a case that Blood Elf Paladins are that annoying...

But religon can be whatever you make it in your IP.

And what does Blood Elf Paladins have to do with another game's IP?

So you recent Paladins concept, because of a race in WoW?

What other Ideas and concepts do you hate because WoW has it?

Let me guess,,,,, Seamless world?

Originally posted by MMOExposed

But religon can be whatever you make it in your IP.

And what does Blood Elf Paladins have to do with another game's IP?

So you recent Paladins concept, because of a race in WoW?

What other Ideas and concepts do you hate because WoW has it?

Let me guess,,,,, Seamless world?

Nah, have always enjoyed seamless worlds - long before WoW had them.

But yeah, Blood Elf Paladins really are that annoying - that I would have a difficult time not visualizing them, even though I have stated that the concept started long before WoW and it is generally pretty cool that the concept of a "Holy Knight" transends so many religions...

But... I mean... c'mon... Blood Elf Paladins.  They really are just that freaking annoying.

• LatellaLatella Member Posts: 189

Yes.

After about 2 years of being ninjalooted off my warrior gear back in vanilla WoW by "dps" paladins, and many other  blizzard screw ups featuring the wanna be hero teen´s favorite class, i can´t but get a bad  vibe everytime i see a  holy knight, no matter the game i am playing.

That does not mean i refuse to talk to / play with paladins, so  i guess i do not HATE them, but i can´t deny i do feel unconfortable when i have one in my party, at least until i know him better.

Rawr.

Originally posted by Latella

Yes.

After about 2 years of being ninjalooted off my warrior gear back in vanilla WoW by "dps" paladins, and many other  blizzard screw ups featuring the wanna be hero teen´s favorite class, i can´t but get a bad  vibe everytime i see a  holy knight, no matter the game i am playing.

That does not mean i refuse to talk to / play with paladins, so  i guess i do not HATE them, but i can´t deny i do feel unconfortable when i have one in my party, at least until i know him better.

What other features you hate because WoW has it?

Seamless world perhaps? Large Scale PvE?

come on,, come on out with it, so new MMO developers can make games that cater to the WoW haters, basically destroying all concepts older MMORPGs made into a legacy,

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864

No

I dont like hybrid classes, and I wholeheartly hate the implications that a holier-than-thoub knight character represents to my roleplaying...

What other features you hate because WoW has it?

Seamless world perhaps? Large Scale PvE?

come on,, come on out with it, so new MMO developers can make games that cater to the WoW haters, basically destroying all concepts older MMORPGs made into a legacy,

What other features of life do you hate because some people hate Paladin classes because of WoW?

Pretty girls perhaps?  Sporty looking cars?

Come on, come on out with it, so people that have their own opinions know better than to reply to your troll posts, basically wasting the couple of minutes of their lives in contributing to your legacy...

• EbonheartEbonheart Member Posts: 138

I hate Paladins because no one ever acknowledges the fact that DAoC had Paladins.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I love the Pally class.  In my own application, I have them gimped so that if tanking, their dps blows... if dpsing they aren't armored well enough to tank properly, and if healing they have to give up both in order to have a decent mana pool and + heal stats.

Works out fine in my eyes.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Originally posted by arcdevil

No

I dont like hybrid classes, and I wholeheartly hate the implications that a holier-than-thoub knight character represents to my roleplaying...

WHO SAID IT HAD TO BE A HYBRID

STOP BASING SHIT OFF OF WOW

• KwanseiKwansei Member UncommonPosts: 334

No I just hate elves. Since long long ago back in the days of Basic D&D, back when folks kept on the borderlands and D4s were responsible for a majority of gamer foot injuries elves have almost always been to roleplaying as Twilight is to "literature".  Not that there aren't a few good elf Rpers out there just not 99% of em.

Now if only they would make D&D the animated series online.. Then we could all complain about Uni

• SabralaSabrala Member Posts: 4

Pallys existed long before WoW

No

pallies have been an hybrid class since the early days of D&D, armored guys with limited divine spells (heal buffs and such). imo someone that didnt know this is so absolutly imbecile that he should be forbidden breathing...or at least banned from online gaming forum discussions, because obviously he has the same gaming knowledge of a jelly and any opinion he could voice will be wrong by default ...

btw your obsession with WoW is staggering....

No

pallies have been an hybrid class since the early days of D&D. imo someone that didnt know this is so absolutly imbecile that he should be forbidden breathing...

btw your obssesion with WoW is staggering....

• TrunksZTrunksZ Member Posts: 263

Kudos to the OP !

I also think that this "WoW Haters" are killing the genre too, by saying that everything that is in WoW sucks yet WoW have everything that is in any other MMO, so wtf do you want ? another genre ?

@ Arch

Just because its a Hybrid in one game doesnt mean it has to be that in all other games.

In some MMORPG, the Paladin is a Main Tank and not a healer.

I will even use WoW in this example of how concepts change.

In Everquest, Paladins were a tank, but in Vanilla WoW, Paladins were a Off Healer since they couldnt Tank endgame.

Same Concept Name is it not?

Originally posted by TrunksZ

Kudos to the OP !

I also think that this "WoW Haters" are killing the genre too, by saying that everything that is in WoW sucks yet WoW have everything that is in any other MMO, so wtf do you want ? another genre ?

Salt does not quite work on cereal.  Salt works pretty well on french fries.  Saying that salt does not work on cereal does not say that salt does not work on french fries.

Can see why you might have offered kudos to the OP on this...

People that hate things in WoW or WoW's implementation of things does not mean they hate them elsewhere.  Stating that what WoW did with Paladins has left a bad taste in people's mouths - basically says not to do what Blizzard did with them - not to do anything with them at all.

The quesiton is quite clear - do you hate Paladins because of WoW?  If the answer was no, then the person would be saying that they hate Paladins in general.  If the answer was yes, then that the person may otherwise like Paladins if they did not follow what Blizzard did with them.

So no, not really, no kudos to the OP - and just my condolences that you offered them to the OP.

Kudos to the OP !

Thanks very much, least somebody is getting it

Kudos to the OP !

nice strawman you got there buddy, disliking one thing in WoW or more specifically WoW's approach on one thing doesnt mean you dislike MMOs in general.

and WoW is far from having everything that is in any other MMO, that kind of bold statement only certifies that you have never played other MMOs besides WoW...EvE? Tribes? FFXI? have you ever heard of this games?

you are right on something tho, someone who hates EVERYTHING in WoW (that meaning he cannot find a SINGLE redeeming quality in WoW) should consider that MMORPGs are not for him...

• describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407

WoW Paladins aren't really paladins though... as they were originally clerics who ended up wearing armour after most of them got wiped out, then got the dwarfs in on the action. Making blood elfs and tauren paladins in the WoW world is just an insult to the paladin genre.... (the fact WoW paladins can exorcise ANYTHING and at one point couldn't exorcise forsaken was just pure ****)

Whereas in real life paladins were the foremost warriors of Charlemagne's court although some of their exploits are largely later merely fictional inventions...

D&D Paladins are based upon the medieval romance paladin knights rather than any type of cleric, they are at base a fighter for good and virtue.... but usually, ALTHOUGH not always, imbued with godly powers.

Paladins have appeared in many games, a lot of which have been MMO's such as Lineage 2, FF11 or Vanguard.

The differences with Paladins in all RPGs (from baldurs gate to mmo's) is the basis of their fighters and can use some healing magic. They are usually orientated to be offensive (FF11) or defensive (vanguard).

Although ONLY in WoW (especially in Vanilla) have Paladins been known to specilise in purely Healing.

I don't hate Paladins, my favourite class in most RPGs... i do dislike what WoW have done to them over the years, but they're in a far better shape gameplay wise than well... patch 1.9; class wise - the so called "paladin patch". Blood Elf Paladins started off fine, they were evil bending the light to their will.... even going as far as draining a narru. It fitted. Now it's more of a joke.... and with the taurens joining in... urgh.

yeah. WoW Paladins are becoming a joke. But that's only ONE game (2 if you include blizzards diablo 2 i guess) ... but considering how many games Paladins have been in...  it's just a small tip of the iceberg.

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

@ Arch

Just because its a Hybrid in one game doesnt mean it has to be that in all other games.

In some MMORPG, the Paladin is a Main Tank and not a healer.

I will even use WoW in this example of how concepts change.

In Everquest, Paladins were a tank, but in Vanilla WoW, Paladins were a Off Healer since they couldnt Tank endgame.

Same Concept Name is it not?

Um, they were hybrids in EQ.

With WoW, yes - they started off as buffers/healers - that cloth wearing plate class.  BC added tanking.  WotLK basically eventually added DPS - leaving them as T/OT/H/OH/DPS.  Yet, even in Vanilla - they were still Hybrids, even if some of their specs were pretty sad in the end.

D&D which added the class back in '75 did so as a...Hybrid.

Yes, there are some games that use Paladins as if they were Cavaliers - but the classical sense of the character in both Western and Eastern games is that of the Holy Knight... a Hybrid.  That has nothing to do with WoW.