Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which MMORPG has the Worst Community ?(Excluding WoW)

Comments

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I will have to go with cryptic for that answer.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Originally posted by VirusDancer

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Blizzard's new unannounced mmo will be the worst.

No way, Cryptic's new unannounced mmo will be the worst.

edit:  Because like WoW, Blizzard's new unannounced mmo will have no community.

This might be true.

• Oli-StardustOli-Stardust Member Posts: 42

Dead Frontier

A Old Friend Once told me " I'll Make ya Famous"

• Cpt_PicardCpt_Picard Member Posts: 300

LOTRO in a few months...

Make it so...

• ZarcobZarcob Member Posts: 207

Originally posted by negentropy

Eve Online.

Sadly I will have to agree.  I've probably asked more than my share of stupid questions in games but I've never gotten anywhere near the acidic responses I have from Eve, or seen the same responses for others.  The smallest things usually get the average newbie lambasted with a generous helping of "go back to WoW" retorts as the nicest responses.  I'm also no stranger to reading nerd rage after getting ganked, but I typically expect that type of childish arguing in an FPS title or on XBox live, it's destructive to read so much of the vitrol in public channels.

I'm fairly sure anyone left in the game that isn't a total a** long ago stopped reading local chat in favor of just scanning it for pirates.  That, or they carefully avoid the newbie regions - and apparently for good reason.

The morning sun has vanquished the horrible night.

• TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524

Originally posted by Zarcob

Eve Online.

Sadly I will have to agree.  I've probably asked more than my share of stupid questions in games but I've never gotten anywhere near the acidic responses I have from Eve, or seen the same responses for others.  The smallest things usually get the average newbie lambasted with a generous helping of "go back to WoW" retorts as the nicest responses.  I'm also no stranger to reading nerd rage after getting ganked, but I typically expect that type of childish arguing in an FPS title or on XBox live, it's destructive to read so much of the vitrol in public channels.

I'm fairly sure anyone left in the game that isn't a total a** long ago stopped reading local chat in favor of just scanning it for pirates.  That, or they carefully avoid the newbie regions - and apparently for good reason.

I have to strongly disagree.

I asked for help and got it, and within a day I got invited to a corporation that lasted me over half a year. During that time I got ships worth hundreds of millions ISK - for free.

If anything, the community in EVE is the best I've ever seen.

Eleanor Rigby.

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

PvE games have no communities.

I would have to disagree with this statement.  It may be true for some games, but not LotRO and CoH.  Both have very helpful communities.  The communites of both of these games is one reason why I have stayed with the games for long periods of time.  (CoH = 4 years, LotRO = 1 1/2 years)

• ThebozzThebozz Member UncommonPosts: 117

Originally posted by arenasb

After you have played XBox Live Halo you'll think that mmorpg communties are rather tame.

I had to laugh at this because it is so true.

• negentropynegentropy Member Posts: 241

Originally posted by Cpt_Picard

LOTRO in a few months...

Not exactly. LOTRO's Landroval server in a few months.

Since I'm finally sick and tired of the elitist snobbery of the RPers over there, I have made a concentrated effort to recommend the Landroval server to every snot-nosed little brat who shows interest in LOTRO.

As the Goons say, "I'm not out to destroy the game, just their game,"

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -Winston Churchill
  • VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Eve Online.

Hrmm, I lost patience answering stupid questions in EVE years ago.  I lost patience wth other people answering stupid questions in EVE not long after that.

Perhaps it is because of how the game was when I started.  You could not make the craptastic character I had when I started if you tried now.  You did not land on gates while warping.  Things were slower.  Perhaps with that, I had more time and I put that time to good use.  I read through descriptions in the market (descriptions that are better now).  I paid attention in Rookie Help for those first 30 days that I was in there to what other people were asking so I did not ask the same questions.  When I got into regular Help, I did the same thing.  I tried to figure out things on my own.  I put in some effort.

There were not the tutorials they have today - not the great beginning experience that CCP offers compared to so many other games.

So yeah, when somebody asks a question that would have been answered had they done the tutorials - they are going to be asked if they did the tutorials.  They will say no.  They will be told to go do them - becasue so many of their questions will be answered there.  If they ask a question that could be answered by looking at the market and doing a little reading, they will be told to do so - cause knowledge is power.

EVE is not some cupcake game where you should expect everything to be handed to you.  Players offer a lot of help, and a lot of new people bitch about that help - cause it is not being handed to them on a silver platter.  The number of players that ask how to do something - that are asked if they have right clicked - and they say no... you know?  Screw them, if they are going to put in zero effort - literally, screw them - let them go back to WoW - go play Maple Story - or just sit in front of the TV to watch Spongebob - cause EVE is going to be too hard for them.

There are plenty of questions that are not answered by the tutorials, the market, etc... and for many of them, guess what - somebody has put a guide out there somewhere - so they will be directed to that guide.  The players you want to stay in the game say thanks and go read it - when somebody else asks - they direct them to the same guide.

The players that cry about it...screw them....

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

Originally posted by junzo316

PvE games have no communities.

I would have to disagree with this statement.  It may be true for some games, but not LotRO and CoH.  Both have very helpful communities.  The communites of both of these games is one reason why I have stayed with the games for long periods of time.  (CoH = 4 years, LotRO = 1 1/2 years)

I quit CoH because most of the zones were empty on the typically crowded servers while trying to level a toon.  Yet you could almost always find folks standing around for some random costume contest, because they were bored with nothing else to do.  Even the AE folks dried up.

CoH...I remember all but fighting over trying to do the arrest x of y missions...lol, now you can hear a pin drop.

• negentropynegentropy Member Posts: 241

Eve Online.

Hrmm, I lost patience answering stupid questions in EVE years ago.  I lost patience wth other people answering stupid questions in EVE not long after that.

Perhaps it is because of how the game was when I started.  You could not make the craptastic character I had when I started if you tried now.  You did not land on gates while warping.  Things were slower.  Perhaps with that, I had more time and I put that time to good use.  I read through descriptions in the market (descriptions that are better now).  I paid attention in Rookie Help for those first 30 days that I was in there to what other people were asking so I did not ask the same questions.  When I got into regular Help, I did the same thing.  I tried to figure out things on my own.  I put in some effort.

There were not the tutorials they have today - not the great beginning experience that CCP offers compared to so many other games.

So yeah, when somebody asks a question that would have been answered had they done the tutorials - they are going to be asked if they did the tutorials.  They will say no.  They will be told to go do them - becasue so many of their questions will be answered there.  If they ask a question that could be answered by looking at the market and doing a little reading, they will be told to do so - cause knowledge is power.

EVE is not some cupcake game where you should expect everything to be handed to you.  Players offer a lot of help, and a lot of new people bitch about that help - cause it is not being handed to them on a silver platter.  The number of players that ask how to do something - that are asked if they have right clicked - and they say no... you know?  Screw them, if they are going to put in zero effort - literally, screw them - let them go back to WoW - go play Maple Story - or just sit in front of the TV to watch Spongebob - cause EVE is going to be too hard for them.

There are plenty of questions that are not answered by the tutorials, the market, etc... and for many of them, guess what - somebody has put a guide out there somewhere - so they will be directed to that guide.  The players you want to stay in the game say thanks and go read it - when somebody else asks - they direct them to the same guide.

The players that cry about it...screw them....

And you, sir, are the exact reason people don't like the Eve community (if you can call it that).

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -Winston Churchill
  • lectrocudalectrocuda Member Posts: 604

AoC PvP server   

To the caterpillar it is the end of the world, to the master, it is a butterfly.

And you, sir, are the exact reason people don't like the Eve community (if you can call it that).

If a person puts in the least bit of effort in EVE, they will find more people than they could dream of that are willing to help them.

If they are lazy, stupid, do not give a rat's ass... well, how exactly is that a loss to the EVE community if they leave?

Everything that I said, was helpful.  Have a question that can be answered by the tutorials?  Do the tutorials.  Have a questiont hat can be answered by looking at the market?  Look at the market.  Suggesting that folks spend their spare time watching what is being said in Help is a bad thing?  Not sure how to do something that can be done by right-clicking?  Try right-clicking.  Asking something that somebody has taken a lot of time to write out a guide for to answer?  Check out the guide.  Have something else not answered by any of that?  Ask away...

So...where exactly is that not helpful?

Do you see how you and others that complain about the EVE community...uh...look?

Go play WoW...

If a person puts in the least bit of effort in EVE, they will find more people than they could dream of that are willing to help them.

If they are lazy, stupid, do not give a rat's ass... well, how exactly is that a loss to the EVE community if they leave?

Replace every Eve with CoH, and you have my retort to your response.  When I was playing, I never had a hard time finding a group in zones (til the AE, that's why I left) .  So, my original assertion that PvE communities exist (and I think are way better than pvp communities) still stands.

Replace every Eve with CoH, and you have my retort to your response.  When I was playing, I never had a hard time finding a group in zones (til the AE, that's why I left) .  So, my original assertion that PvE communities exist (and I think are way better than pvp communities) still stands.

With your stating that you quit with AE because of having a hard time finding a group in zones... how was I wrong about the PvE game not having a community - in this case, CoH?

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Blizzard's new unannounced mmo will be the worst.

No way, Cryptic's new unannounced mmo will be the worst.

edit:  Because like WoW, Blizzard's new unannounced mmo will have no community.

heh actually no, Ive seen plenty come with this comment go along the lines,   I ll never leave WoW or when I do it will be for Blizzard´s next MMO

so yes...unannounced MMOs can have a fanbase, then there is super secret upcoming(unannounced games like World of darkness.

With your stating that you quit with AE because of having a hard time finding a group in zones... how was I wrong about the PvE game not having a community - in this case, CoH?

You kind of answered your own question.  I played before the AE.  There was a community.  Which proves the statement that PvE games have no community wrong.  I'm sure with the upcoming expansion and the "newness" of AE worn off, that the community is still there. 

My main point is that your statement (below) could be held true to any game (with a fairly good pop) not just eve.  Becareful with your response, your prejudice is starting to show through your responses.  =)

"If a person puts in the least bit of effort in EVE, they will find more people than they could dream of that are willing to help them.

If they are lazy, stupid, do not give a rat's ass... well, how exactly is that a loss to the EVE community if they leave?"

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by elocke

Age of Conan, worst chat ever.

Followed by Darkfall Online.

Followed by Warhammer Online.

hmm, notice the trend here? PVP centric games....

Yes, PvP-centric games seem to be cesspools for social misfits, don't they.

I concur.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Age of Conan and Warhammer Online also the Darkfall community transformed into something pretty bad since last patch.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• RaythorRaythor Member Posts: 134

Originally posted by DerWotan

Age of Conan and Warhammer Online also the Darkfall community transformed into something pretty bad since last patch.

At least in AoC and DF you can kill those that offend you!

And in DF's case, take their lootz  /flex!

You kind of answered your own question.  I played before the AE.  There was a community.  Which proves the statement that PvE games have no community wrong.  I'm sure with the upcoming expansion and the "newness" of AE worn off, that the community is still there. 

My main point is that your statement (below) could be held true to any game (with a fairly good pop) not just eve.  Becareful with your response, your prejudice is starting to show through your responses.  =)

"If a person puts in the least bit of effort in EVE, they will find more people than they could dream of that are willing to help them.

If they are lazy, stupid, do not give a rat's ass... well, how exactly is that a loss to the EVE community if they leave?"

I was not arguing that CoH never had a community nor that PvE games never had a community.  Heck, I did beta with CoH - preordered from CUSA - and enjoyed the game until they deployed /boombox and suddenly the game became about standing around and dancing instead of doing anything.  I figured that would wear off, and it did.  CoH is one of the games in my rotation that I generally sub to for a month or two each year.

It was more a case of stating that as game's stand today, there is very little community in PvE games - none in some.  There may be cliques running around, but that is not community.

Also, but not to put too fine a point on it... but you do realize what you have said about yourself with your statements and what you have quoted that I said...eh?

My prejudice?  My prejudice was that PvP games have bad communities, PvE games have no communities, P2P games have players that do not want to be bothered by anybody else (which translates into PvP games having bad communities and PvE games having no communities), and F2P games have communities one probably does not want to be bothered with...

The only prejudice there might be with the Fool2Play games...but generally speaking, aside from games that converted from P2P to F2P... F2P games tend to attract pretty bad communities.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I am going out in left field with SRO.The reason is rather simple,it is because when botters and cheats started to take over the game,rather than leave the game to show the developer you mean business,they ALL turned to botting and cheating,it became an accepted stance in the game.For that reason i left because i knew it had no hope at all,when you cannot even get the players on the right page.

A VERY close second is the community in CODMW ,full of cheats and kids begging,praising the cheats because they thought it was something brilliant to be able to cheat or create your own cheat.

The BEST community will always be in games where cheating means less or is totally out of the design.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

Eve... for sure.   I agree with the poster who said as bad as they are in-game, they are even worse in forums.

• ZarcobZarcob Member Posts: 207

Everything that I said, was helpful.  Have a question that can be answered by the tutorials?  Do the tutorials.  Have a questiont hat can be answered by looking at the market?  Look at the market.  Suggesting that folks spend their spare time watching what is being said in Help is a bad thing?  Not sure how to do something that can be done by right-clicking?  Try right-clicking.  Asking something that somebody has taken a lot of time to write out a guide for to answer?  Check out the guide.  Have something else not answered by any of that?  Ask away...

So...where exactly is that not helpful?

Do you see how you and others that complain about the EVE community...uh...look?

Go play WoW...

Maybe they'd just rather make a friend by asking in chat?

I suppose I'm being too hard on Eve, because I know exactly what prompts your type of "go find it out for yourself" response.  It's not because Eve fills some "hard-line" niche game market and it's not because the new player is lazy / stupid / republican or any other categorization (although I'm certain the mere thought might annoy you as well).  The issue is that you get tired of seeing the same damn questions day in and day out in chat.

I'd say it's really about veteran gamers investing ridiculous amounts of time into a game and losing tolerance for simple things.   They remove the individual and all newbies become the same faceless mass of nonsense and repetitive stupidity.  Honestly, would anyone in their right mind tell someone to "Use the damn phonebook noob" if they were stopped on the street and asked directions?  Of course not, because it's harder to dehumanize someone looking right at you and it's unlikely you'll be tired of getting asked that same question unless you work as a toll booth collector.

So if that explains the behavior, why do I think I'm being too easy on Eve?  Well, this will blow your mind but, I've seen the same exact responses in every MMO I've played where players invest hundreds of days of played time to master every aspect of the content.  Veteran players just get bored and tired of the reptition of human interaction - a mystifying stance given their addiction to an MMO.  It's a sad state of affairs and happens most often with the older games, but I suppose it doesn't really reveal anything specific about Eve's community as much as it does Eve's age.

The morning sun has vanquished the horrible night.

This discussion has been closed.