Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why not a F2P try a permadeath server?

HeyMarceHeyMarce Member UncommonPosts: 86

Im wondering whats the reason about an almost dead F2P mmo ( yes, there re a lot of them dying) dont try a permadeath server.

I think it  could be great and maybe a revolution for the genre.

Regards

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Because no one (or very very few) will play and it is a waste of resources.

• GlaiveGlaive Member Posts: 10

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Unless the server has high exp and drop rates so player can level up quickly and get desired equipment. It could be a fun server to play. :)

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864

Originally posted by KinePs3

Im wondering whats the reason about an almost dead F2P mmo ( yes, there re a lot of them dying) dont try a permadeath server.

Regards

one of them did, cant remember the name but it was a very watered down lineage 2 clone

the funny part is how it did it:

- people could choose several levels, normal, advanced and perma death.

- the higher the mode, the more grind per level, but also more stats per level, access to better weapons/armors and new skills

- if you died in pve you had 5 minutes to be revived or else it was permadeath

so obviously it was fairly balanced, right? one single screup, one total wipe a bit too far from a cleric, and your powerful character would be wiped, right?

haha, thats where the greed of F2P games knocks on the door

- They were selliing items in the cash shop that you could use over yourself, even when already dead, to auto-res.

- after using that item, you had 60 minutes of "out of jail" buff so that upon death they could respawn just as normal, without losing their chars

- that item wasnt exactly cheap...cant remember exactly, but around 2-3 dollars a pop...

obviously the most loaded guys were running amok in that game, because they could solo their way to the top (not even needing a cleric friend, so they all could roll dps classes) and buy themselves into more stats, the top tier gear and the most powerful skills...

freeloaders and low spenders couldnt possibly dream of getting such chars ever...imagine playing a veeeeeeeeery grindy game from lvl 1 to max without 1 single screwup, tied constantly to a cleric friend which was online and close to you...now imagine when one of those loaded guys trained a lot of mobs into you and your friend...hilarity ensued

are you sure you want permadeath in a cash shop game? thats like the ultimate money grubbing opportunity for the dishonest f2p publishers

that is, every and each one of them...

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Originally posted by Glaive

Unless the server has high exp and drop rates so player can level up quickly and get desired equipment. It could be a fun server to play. :)

Nah .. then the hardcore will complain it has no challenge. If you think welfare epics is bad, this will be worse.

• DillingerEPDillingerEP Member UncommonPosts: 366

Originally posted by arcdevil

Originally posted by KinePs3

Regards

one of them did, cant remember the name but it was a very watered down lineage 2 clone

Shaiya

• HeyMarceHeyMarce Member UncommonPosts: 86

It could be a surprise to you to discover how many ppl will play that ;)

Shaiya did something like that, but not exactly I think..

• RaythorRaythor Member Posts: 134

Perma-death appeals to many players... on paper that is. Most would wither and /rage_quit if they ever lost a time invested character.

Just my opinion.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

You know what... I think F2P is the prime place to at least test it's popularity - why?

Because people are more likely to start over from scratch without the monetary investment pumped in prior. If you play for a year before your first permadeath you are likely to walk from it on the spot. Now that is incredibly unlikely, but even in the case of dying rapidly and rehashing the same content to reach the stuff you can never get to before dying... is what I imagine my personal hell as... and I have to play them with Michael Atkinson on a sofa made of empty beer cans... and my hands are taped to the controls while my butt itches... and Mike won't stop asking me if he can help with that.

The F2P arena is the best place to have either outlook though, whether you die late, or early (repeatedly), because there would most likely be ways to buy into increased progression (though the pratfall of that is obvious) and people can take a quick walk from it after getting frustrated - without having to cancel a sub or remove it from the hard drive (some people do this out of elevated levels of frustration that is refined into spite).

Edit - another key factor remains in having to tie CS bought items to the account or suffer the wrath of the players that lose 8$ on the spot after paying it. The devil on my shoulder says "do it, do it", but I know very well that it will be extremely detrimental, and right out of the gate.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture