Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AdventureQuest Worlds: AdventureQuest Worlds Review

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com's Carolyn Koh took a recent look at the browser-based MMORPG AdventureQuest Worlds, a game which she describes as a "fun little casual MMO".

AdventureQuest Worlds by Artix Entertainment is the MMO version of their grindy but addictive little flash based on-line game Adventure Quest. Using the same technology, AdventureQuest Worlds has actually attracted players who were not previously players of either AdventureQuest, or the company's previous foray into the MMO world, Dragon Fable.

Simple, simplistic, grindy, yet engaging. It is definitely a casual MMO and one advantage of the game as it was in Adventure Quest, is that it is completely flash-based. Unlike some other browser-based games that still require a small client to be installed; you can play AdventureQuest Worlds on any PC with an internet connection and a web browser with a Java client. Yes, you can play it on an office computer during break and get a few hundred experience points.

The game FAQ tells you how many points are needed for each rank and level. As is usual in many MMOs, a player character can defeat a monster several levels higher and they very quickly learn what they can take on as Mob hit points are displayed when targeted - although you can't tell how hard they will hit.

Read the AdventureQuest Worlds Review

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357

I find this review very accurate, if you take the game for what it is, which is a casual MMO made for kids and teenagers, or even older people who just want a break and dont feel like downloading something.

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/

• djFEVAdjFEVA Member Posts: 48

The draw of this game for me was that it's entirely web based (no download/instalation), and it doesn't limit the amount of time you can play with regen "energy".

However, it can get a bit boring after you are through with the first chapter of the story, because it would seem like there's very little for you to do without upgrading to member; aka member only area or member only items.

I am very glad to learn that whatever items you purchase while you are a member you get to keep forever... hmm, maybe I'll finally get that pet that's been just sitting in my bag slot ;-)

The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.

• naphertanapherta Member Posts: 1

I think the fact that it is a casual MMO is the draw to the game.even though my draw to the game was the chance to get a founder title one one of the artix entertainment games, im upgraded in 4 of the 5 games including a mem in AQW)

• GeneralY3kGeneralY3k Member Posts: 4

I beleive Artix's Games have hit a homerun with this one. The quirky jokes, to the hilarious weapons and hairstyles. In a overall review i believe this is the one, I'm not much to putting much effort but I give This Review a [5 out of 5] and the game a overall score little higher than most but a [4 out of 5 (8/10)]

Congratulations Artix

General... That's right come back to that one.

• NecroniKNecroniK Member UncommonPosts: 1

AE are money hungry bastards. This is supposed to be a free browser based game, but all their releases are 90% member only. They also selling a pet which you have to buy for 70 dollars to get a certain ingame pet. If paying members is not enough, they also have to buy certain items and bagspace for AC which cost even more money. The review is wrong in the aspect that once your membership runs out, you cant equip the member items anymore unless you upgrade again.

• DragoonariaDragoonaria Member Posts: 7

I like AE games. I reckon their games are pretty good.

I don't think AE is money - hungry. In fact, they made new equips for free players that at first glance, may look like only for those that are members only. But they are not. Well problem is most of them may be hard to obtain, but some are usually not. I guess they are doing so for the sake of the free players who support AQW but couldn't buy or just can't be bothered. Anyway important thing here is that it's free, play it, like it or not, that's just the way it is. The developers needed to earn anyway for their hard work on the games they make. It's worth it. 

xxXDragoonariaXxx

• Fox_YoukaiFox_Youkai Member Posts: 5

this game has an "awful awful" community.. kids as you might have imagined..

just a word of advice if anyone wants to begin playing.."never use the chat to ask something in public" "don't try to talk unless you really need to" unless you want to hear some foul language.

yes..even asking for direction will most likely get you no answer..or an answer that you'll never want to hear.

• TreadLightTreadLight Member UncommonPosts: 1

Decent game, but certainly not the best that you can find from Artix Entertainment. Games like AdventureQuest and MechQuest have a more mature feel to it, but are single player. Even if single player, the community makes up for that, as the forums are (or maybe were) some of the most highly populated, active, and fun you can use. You can easily get in touch with the very friendly and cooperative staff, as even the lead programmers take much of their time to hear directly from the fans. Take it from me, I used to be a moderator for EpicDuel, their newly adopted game, but left to pursue creation of a new Flash RPG title. By the way, this is their first attempt at a MMO environment, as DragonFable is solely single player as well.

• TajwallTajwall Member Posts: 4

I played it for a day, and here's what I observed:

They restrict most things to members, or .. What did they refer to it as again? DragonKings?

Most weps are 'virtually' expensive, thus making the virtual money thing more of a con. (10K FOR A LV 4 WEP?!?!)

Limited skills. I only unlocked 2 (out of 4) skills and got bored.

Corny jokes, sort of like the Leisure Suit Larry reference in AQ. "Lounge. No lizards allowed".

It's more of an at schol game, because post people are the kind that talk "wike diz"

read it. love it.

• Captain231Captain231 Member Posts: 19
    I enjoy the game a lot. True it is for the Casual MMO types. It is what it is and its fun too play..

Only Rugby releases the stress of Life.

• AleeacerixAleeacerix Member UncommonPosts: 12

Ae is one of the greatest companies ever. They provide games with weekly update, cool quest, items, monster, bosses, storyline and features. They have more connection with their players than other browser games companies. They give equally to their free players and members.

If you add a RTS game in an MMORPG site, we are going to delete it!

• cgmonkeycgmonkey Member Posts: 1

Your a douche. I have gotten max level cool armor and weps. And guess what? i am a non-mem i may have upgraded once, but they do give u ur moneys worth, and this company is not money grubbing. Once the creater of the game was gonna get a lot of money for putting ad in the game, that said "free" in it when it wasnt and he just said he would not put it. Explain that if he was money grubbing........douche.

And P.S

they is WAY more non mem content then mem content