Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: More Layoffs at Mythic

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Continuing the tumultuous series of events that have plagued Mythic since the launch of Warhammer Online in 2008, it appears that EA Mythic has been hit with a new round of layoffs this morning. Josh Drescher, a key player in the development of WAR and well known to fans, is no longer employed with EA Mythic as of 11AM this morning according to a tweet posted on his personal Twitter account.

The news left many of his followers on Twitter wondering if he had been fired, but a more recent post confirms that this was indeed another round of layoffs:

FYI: I can't get into details (and, in fact, don't HAVE many more details), but it was a layoff. I wasn't fired and I still love Mythic. 22 minutes ago via web

We'll have more information as this story develops. Josh previously served as a senior designer at Mythic.

Comments

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Jesus christ. WAR dying, dying, gone.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Im 100% certain that all the former Mythic workers wished they never got in bed with EA.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

I feel for the guy. To be layed off during financial crisis is bad.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I see this so many times (and in my own personal experience as wel).

Large company buys smaller company, initial round of layoffs to get rid of redundant people and eventually there are more layoffs if the main company needs to save money.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • maidethmaideth Member UncommonPosts: 5

what's the difference between lay off and fired? 

• JadetoothJadetooth Member UncommonPosts: 372

Originally posted by maideth

When he gets laid off the position he filled wont be filled again. There's simply no need for one like him on the team anymore. Where as had he been fired they would be looking to refill that position again.

Afaik >_>

------------------------------

• LorkLork Member Posts: 338

Originally posted by skinnys

Originally posted by maideth

When he gets laid off the position he filled wont be filled again. There's simply no need for one like him on the team anymore. Where as had he been fired they would be looking to refill that position again.

Afaik >_>

When you are laid-off, the company is looking to reduce staff in order to stay in the green, but the position may be filled in the future if the company's bottom line is met. When you are fired, you are typically being replaced because you are at fault for some reason.

Also, if one is laid off one can (in this country) receive unemployment benefits and there might also be a severance package.

If you are fired "not so much".

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

It's time to face facts. EA isn't pumping any more money into Mythic and any activity with WAR is nothing more than shuffling deck chairs as the ship sinks into the briney. Jacobs and his crew talked a line of crap to both EA and their customer base and  couldn't meet deadlines. Releasing WAR in the state it was in killed the game before it even got off the ground. They should have spent less time jetting all over the world promoting and actually working on releasing a finished product. Warhammer could have been great, but what it needed was a different development team.

I have a feeling that Vigil is going to show these guys how it's done.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• AmphysvenaAmphysvena Member Posts: 12

Originally posted by parrotpholk

Good company is slowly dying before our eyes. WAR was a clusterfuck but I blame EA for rushing it out the door more than Mythic. Tis a shame they accepted the buyout from EA...shortsighted.

This.

• MandaloreMandalore Member UncommonPosts: 131

He should go to Trion Wolrlds an work on Rift ^^

-------------------------------------
     Playing: Overwatch, Genshin Impact, Black Desert Mobile, Hundred Soul, Cyberpunk 2077
     Inactive: WAR, DAoC, RIFT, GW1/2, TSW, Age of Wulin, Black Desert, Blade & Soul, Skyforge

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864

Good company is slowly dying before our eyes. WAR was a clusterfuck but I blame EA for rushing it out the door more than Mythic. Tis a shame they accepted the buyout from EA...shortsighted.

in what paralel universe of rainbows and lollipops do you live?

EA allowed Mythic to delay WAR twice, and we could presume each time they had to inject more money than budgeted into the project.

there comes a time when investors want to see a return, and no one but Mythic can be blamed for failing to meet deadlines and not adjusting to budget.

No many companies in the real world would be given such out-of-jail cards, and STILL they failed at epic levels with what amounted to be a horrible, horrible game in all aspects.

how can you blame EA? Mythic brought this shitstorm onto themselves alone...

• NoobkilarNoobkilar Member Posts: 175

You can notice the slow and painful demise of WAR, Some of Mystic was working with bioware last i heard for SW:TOR. Ironic enough you hear " in the face " and other commonly used ref. in the new bioware tweets/news. Then you got "pvp lakes" shows they might try to do what WAR did wrong.........Give content to a game ontop of a good pvp expenence.

I'd imagine they are just trying to keep it in the green for a final end of the year shut down or sell off to sony online. AS once Swtor hits and Rift WAR will be down to 5k subs. My sub ended today, not even gonna bother to renew as I lost interest now i see this thread and it's sad.

Atleast he gets unemployment!

• AmorienAmorien Member Posts: 142

its so sad so see such a great company just five bomb , YOU SHOULD HAVE WORKED ON DAOC. instead they took the easy way out and it has had its consequense.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

This game is on life support, EA is tossing all its eggs into one basket (SWTOR) everything else will be lucky to stay running.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by arcdevil

in what paralel universe of rainbows and lollipops do you live?

EA allowed Mythic to delay WAR twice, and we could presume each time they had to inject more money than budgeted into the project.

there comes a time when investors want to see a return, and no one but Mythic can be blamed for failing to meet deadlines and not adjusting to budget.

No many companies in the real world would be given such out-of-jail cards, and STILL they failed at epic levels with what amounted to be a horrible, horrible game in all aspects.

how can you blame EA? Mythic brought this shitstorm onto themselves alone...

This, people love to scapegoat EA but they have to face the facts, mythic made this game what it is.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• SilverelSilverel Member UncommonPosts: 24

Alas, another piece of negative news to pile on the rest of the negative news, further obscuring how GOOD THE GAME ACTUALLY IS.

Seriously...

• NytakitoNytakito Member Posts: 381

You sleep in the bed you made...  WAR could have been awesome, they botched it, and now they are paying the price for it.  Hopefully other companies will learn from EA/Mythic's mistakes.

"If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." - Henry Ford

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

So I'm guessing from now on WAR patch updates will be written by two janitors and the kid who delivers the sandwiches.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

I had a lot of fun in WAR, and it's a shame to see the layoffs come so soon on the heels of the previous round. Hopefully it will survive in limbo the way Vangaurd currently does (though perhaps that's not the greatest comparison to make...)

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

The game wasn't/isn't great, but I never thought it horrible, just not for me. Such a shame that a talented company can fall so far, so fast. It just sucks that once again, the lower-level employees have to take the brunt of a backlash due to decisions by morons in upper management. That's the corporate world for you.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

I feel bad for EA.

They thought they were acquiring a leader in the MMO genre and what they got was a one hit wonder has been crap factory.

The only good MMO Mythic has made was the orginal DAoC in 2001 which they themselves ruined with yearly crappy expansions.

EA wasted tens of millions on this bait and switch lame duck company.

Originally posted by Rednecksith

It just sucks that once again, the lower-level employees have to take the brunt of a backlash due to decisions by morons in upper management. That's the corporate world for you.

Amen to that brutha! image

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

They were steadily improving with the last couple of patches, too. I don't know if Josh had any input on them, but he certainly was one of the more recognizable faces amongst the WAR staff.

Shame.

• SelenicaSelenica Member Posts: 183

Take a close look people. This same thing is going to happen to Bioware.