Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Why isn't there a jump feature?" {answered}

KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Question was asked by the folks over at FFXIV ZAM... in this video interview!

Hiromichi Tanaka laughing as he answers this question:

The main reason is because we don't think its important to have the functions in the game, we don't need to have the functions in the game.  So even if you jump around and nothing is gonna happen anyway {....last part is garbled cause the guy is laughing....post what else is said if you can understand it!}

Yay, another chapter closed in all the whining why there isn't a jump feature, and that many of us FFXI vets already tried to explain, "because there is no damned reason or need to jump from the way its designed" 

Comments

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

I think that it's something everyone wants on a subconsciences level...

• chromekatanachromekatana Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by Swanea

I guess  it would seem to give more freedom without, 'ya know, the freedom. But seriously, What would jumping really give you? And this isn't tomb raider were you need to jump a a spike pit trap,lol.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

OMG THEY MUST BE LYING!!!1

Or not. Now that even the producer has said it, shut up or get out. 

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • eburneburn Member Posts: 740

Originally posted by chromekatana

Originally posted by Swanea

I guess  it would seem to give more freedom without, 'ya know, the freedom. But seriously, What would jumping really give you? And this isn't tomb raider were you need to jump a a spike pit trap,lol.

Well some MMOs have picked up on some platforming elements. But unless the game designers were to go to the lengths as say.. God of War's designers or Mario Galaxy's designers, then it wouldn't be worth it.

Just add a ton of dance emotes.

Those same people will be happy.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Jumping is such an easy feature to implement, I don't know why they wouldn't implement it even if it serves no purpose.

To be honest, if I can't jump in a free roaming game, I feel limited.

Look at other MMOs that have jumping... it's rarely ever necessary to jump but they still have it, as they should.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Thank you. Now I'll run all the way around the fence instead of jumping over it. Or is there a mantle feature like Call of Duty (which I've always thought was more realistic anyways)?

This game just flew off my radar.

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448

Who cares? Not that Final Fantasy is some kind of bastion of realism, but who the hell jumps around fighting with a sword, while wearing plate armor? When was the last time you saw ANYONE ANYWHERE jump during a combat situation? How often do you jump during your daily life, when you are not participating in an activity who's purpose it is to jump?

WHO THE HELL CARES?

• soap46soap46 Member Posts: 169

Originally posted by jusomdude

Jumping is such an easy feature to implement, I don't know why they wouldn't implement it even if it serves no purpose.

Look at other MMOs that have jumping... it's rarely ever necessary to jump but they still have it, as they should.

Yeah, it feels REALLY limiting.  My mage character can destroy a dragon with a glance, but is stopped dead in his tracks by a 2 foot fence.  But no matter what the players want, I doubt SE will implement anything they don't want to.  They're too busy enjoying the smell of their own flatulence and trying to shove their heads even further up their own asses.  (In case you didn't notice I'm not a fan of FF games in general.  I just think they all feel 10 years behind the curve.)

Originally posted by jusomdude

Well, it only makes you "feel" limited. Kinda like how you would feel naked if you lost your eyebrows.

NOTE: I have never lost my eyebrows so I don't know if you wold really feel this way. 

Originally posted by ironhelix

Who cares? Not that Final Fantasy is some kind of bastion of realism, but who the hell jumps around fighting with a sword, while wearing plate armor? When was the last time you saw ANYONE ANYWHERE jump during a combat situation? How often do you jump during your daily life, when you are not participating in an activity who's purpose it is to jump?

WHO THE HELL CARES?

[Mod Edit]

Jumping does have a purpose - not in combat, but in movement. As evidenced by my fence example. I mean really, who wants to run all the way around the freakin' farm to talk to Farmer Bob inside when you can just jump over the fence? Jumping really is such an easy feature that to not have it is kind of lazy, if you ask me.

I think that some of you are working off of the assumption that they are just leaving jumping out for the hell of it. It's not like they are going to design the game to require jumping, and then not include the ability to do so. I mean, even in the real world it's pretty safe to assume that when you go to the mall, you're not going to be required to jump over a fence, or leap over a flaming chasm. If it helps you, just imagine that the designers of Final Fantasy had the common courtesy that any modern day mall-designer might have.

I think that some of you are working off of the assumption that they are just leaving jumping out for the hell of it. It's not like they are going to design the game to require jumping, and then not include the ability to do so. I mean, even in the real world it's pretty safe to assume that when you go to the mall, you're not going to be required to jump over a fence, or leap over a flaming chasm. If it helps you, just imagine that the designers of Final Fantasy had the common courtesy that any modern day mall-designer might have.

So the world will be a giant empty plane with a couple of escalators? Thanks, that really makes it exciting. You should talk to freerunners (parkour? Whatever, same thing) and tell them what they do is pointless.

Besides, don't you think that it'd be less effort to make the world realistic and give people the tools to more easily traverse obstacles instead of tailoring the world to be obstacle-free, because you won't put in the very easy feature of jumping? It'd kind of like masochism, they enjoy hurting themselves.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

*wonders how many of you have ever played FFXI extensively and understand that there isn't a fence or wall anywhere that is imposing enough that jumping would be required...* 

<La Theine Plateau> comes to mind having a few short fences and stone walls, but they have never been an issue or are ever in the way of me enjoying the game...

Originally posted by Comnitus

So the world will be a giant empty plane with a couple of escalators? Thanks, that really makes it exciting. You should talk to freerunners (parkour? Whatever, same thing) and tell them what they do is pointless.

Look, I promise you that you won't miss the jumping. In fact, after a while you might come to appreciate the obvious lack of pogo-sticking idiots that infest other games. 

Then again, if it's REALLY that important that you are able to perform an utterly meaningless action that amounts nothing more than a glorified emote, then maybe this game isn't for you.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Since there's no jumping, I'm guessing it's safe to assume that you won't be able to drop off 5 foot ledges either, or any other cliff for that matter.

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

Besides, don't you think that it'd be less effort to make the world realistic and give people the tools to more easily traverse obstacles instead of tailoring the world to be obstacle-free, because you won't put in the very easy feature of jumping? It'd kind of like masochism, they enjoy hurting themselves.

Hey Freerunners. What you do is pointless. It seems to me like you wanted to be good at skateboarding, but never got the hang of it. So you're like "Look at me guys, I can fall and not break both my kneecaps.. Usually."

There.

And yeah, when's the last time you jumped around in a Final Fantasy game? They generally design areas with simple point A to B travel in mind anyway.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

Look, I promise you that you won't miss the jumping. In fact, after a while you might come to appreciate the obvious lack of pogo-sticking idiots that infest other games. 

Then again, if it's REALLY that important that you are able to perform an utterly meaningless action that amounts nothing more than a glorified emote, then maybe this game isn't for you.

/dance is an utterly meaningless action. Jumping is not, unless the developers decide to be lazy and make the ENTIRE WORLD a collage of flat planes or perhaps gently rolling hills. Seems like the case is the latter.

Lazy.

Lol I sound like an old MMO vet now. I can get crotchety about some things, too, I suppose.

I am in the military, and have spent quite a bit of time in the field. I have camped and hiked extensively. I honestly can't remember the last time I had to jump over something.

You have been playing video games for so long that the line between them and reality has started to blur.

• negentropynegentropy Member Posts: 241

Originally posted by Khrymson

The main reason is because we don't think its important to have the functions in the game, we don't need to have the functions in the game.  So even if you jump around and nothing is gonna happen anyway {....last part is garbled cause the guy is laughing....post what else is said if you can understand it!}

Yay, another chapter closed in all the whining why there isn't a jump feature, and that many of us FFXI vets already tried to explain, "because there is no damned reason or need to jump from the way its designed" 

Any game that doesn't allow a bunch of WoW babies to run around hopping like rabbits is good in my book!

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -Winston Churchill
  • VyavaVyava Member Posts: 893

You seem unable to separate the real world from a game world, you might want to have a professional sort that out for you.

It is a game world and game worlds need rules. What one person considers practical rules vs another person will vary, but rules are very important to making a functioning game. With FFXI and FFIV they decided that short temporary vertical movements (aka jumps) would not have a direct effect on the game world. This means no jumping but also means no jumping into clipping planes to talk to an NPC (a common problem with NPCs across the jumping MMO experience). It may sound like an exclusion of a real world feature, but that exclusion also means technical issues will be avoided. It also means that numerous problems can be eliminated and that less data needs to be synced allowing more players in a smaller area with less lag.

Honestly I have only seen jumping used for anything beyond generic fluff a few times in MMOs. Most of the times in games like WoW or WAR skill jumping sections to secret areas or hidden mobs only lead to a lot of downtime waiting for the people unable to get past the jumping bridge the first time. Waiting 45+ minutes just to get the vital memebers of a group up 3 logs and a short wall is not fun and not necessary   in the slightest.

/dance is an utterly meaningless action. Jumping is not, unless the developers decide to be lazy and make the ENTIRE WORLD a collage of flat planes or perhaps gently rolling hills. Seems like the case is the latter.

Lazy.

He could be talking about free jumping.

Maybe they will have jumping like,off a ledge of a cliff. See Monster Hunter of Legend of Zelda for what I mean.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by negentropy

Any game that doesn't allow a bunch of WoW babies to run around hopping like rabbits is good in my book!

Touche...

I am in the military, and have spent quite a bit of time in the field. I have camped and hiked extensively. I honestly can't remember the last time I had to jump over something.

You have been playing video games for so long that the line between them and reality has started to blur.

That's what I said first off. Climbing/mantling over objects is more realistic than WEEE bunny-hopping over them. Don't tell me you've never had to get over a fallen tree, rock, or some other object. You didn't jump, but you still got over it. If FFXIV removed jumping and put in a mantle system like Call of Duty, I'd be more than happy because then I could traverse that fence in my way.

MMO travel is about getting from point A to point B as quickly as possible. If they don't have jump or any other way of getting over obstacles, they better make the world flat and boring, as you said they usually do.

• BurnthebedBurnthebed Member Posts: 443

*wonders how many of you have ever played FFXI extensively and understand that there isn't a fence or wall anywhere that is imposing enough that jumping would be required...* 

<La Theine Plateau> comes to mind having a few short fences and stone walls, but they have never been an issue or are ever in the way of me enjoying the game...

I played FFXI for a bit, but I couldn't get past the fact that you had to fight little tiny bunnies for most of the first 20 levels...I mean seriously why would a giant Galkan guy need to kill a rabbit with cartoonishly long ears?

Also, I couldn't stand that all of my armor looked like S&M attire.

The sleeper awakes...and rides his dirtbike to the mall.

Originally posted by Vyava

You seem unable to separate the real world from a game world, you might want to have a professional sort that out for you.

It is a game world and game worlds need rules. What one person considers practical rules vs another person will vary, but rules are very important to making a functioning game. With FFXI and FFIV they decided that short temporary vertical movements (aka jumps) would not have a direct effect on the game world. This means no jumping but also means no jumping into clipping planes to talk to an NPC (a common problem with NPCs across the jumping MMO experience). It may sound like an exclusion of a real world feature, but that exclusion also means technical issues will be avoided. It also means that numerous problems can be eliminated and that less data needs to be synced allowing more players in a smaller area with less lag.

Honestly I have only seen jumping used for anything beyond generic fluff a few times in MMOs. Most of the times in games like WoW or WAR skill jumping sections to secret areas or hidden mobs only lead to a lot of downtime waiting for the people unable to get past the jumping bridge the first time. Waiting 45+ minutes just to get the vital memebers of a group up 3 logs and a short wall is not fun and not necessary   in the slightest.

If they let me get over that hypothetical fence in my way quickly, and it's not jumping, I'm all for it. Getting rid of the action itself is not a problem, as long as they fill the actual purpose that action has (which is easier movement/access to otherwise inaccessible areas).