Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallen Earth: Item Store Opens [UPDATED]

Comments

• MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814

the worrying thing is that icarus reduced their staff by 75% recently. that caused concerns that the future development of the game would be affected. now we see devedlopment going into fluff like this and mobile apps. it looks as though the few left developing at fe are spending their time on creating extra things to sell, rather than improve what we're already paying for. i can only assume that it's because the game is in big trouble and they need extra cash quick

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

We just wanted to take a moment and address the concerns surrounding the new Fallen Earth Store.  Although we know there is a lot of controversy with the introduction of the store we wanted to share our vision of where we are taking this. We primarily view the store as the means to deliver to you, our players, role-playing and social items.

For me the player, i primarily view the store as the means for you, the developer, to earn some more "easy" cash.  I have no problem with cash shop selling fluff items in games that have been online for years like WOW, games that are full of content.   But a game that's not even a year old (or is it), that has not have an expansion yet, player are waiting for content, they pay 15$ a month and the first thing you give player is a cash shop.  That's insulting. 

Its like saying, we know you want content, but we need cash, so just give us more money and we might add some later.

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

So very disappointed by this news.

My sub is now cancelled.

I was a big proponent of FE as it seemed they were doing everything right for the players initially.  Ever since Lee left, it's been one shot in the foot after another though.  Maybe this is why Lee leftin the first place.  He knew what was coming down the line and wanted no association with the bastardization of a once great game.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

*UPDATED* Hi, you are not trying to "provide" me the player any "great" benefit by "offering" this through an item shop. If you pay a sub fee, then this stuff should have been coming into my game already. Thanks for nothing, I don't want your "helpful" hand. Kiss off, if you want to milk your players that is one thing. Do not come here trying ot push it off as a great service you are providing.
  • crockopoopoocrockopoopoo Member Posts: 119

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Originally posted by Simsu

Their update changes nothing for me. I am paying a subscription to have access to all of the content. I don't care if its only cosmetic or fluff. Every single item in a store is something that players subscribers should have access to without having to pay a single dime more than the subscription.

Subs Plus should not be an acceptable payment method to anyone. Alternate (other than subs) payment methods are fine (ala DDO, LOTRO) but Subs Plus is strait adding content that requires you to pay a sub and then pay micro payments to get access. If you support companies that are going Subs Plus then you are basically volenteering to pay more money for the same content.

You sub entitles you to the service. Nothing elese. This is where most of the issue comes from, uninformed coustmers thinking they are entitled to more for nothing.

This is not where the issue comes from.

The issue comes from the fact that traditionally, a sub has bought you the ability to access all of the content in the game.  Game companies are now changing the playing field and saying in effect, yeah it used to be all-you-can-eat, now its a la carte.

It has nothing to do with 'uninformed customers,' it has to do with companies charging extra (referenced to historical norms) for assets that are either in the game already, or take next to no time to create, package, and sell.

It doesn't bother most people, which is why they're continually pushing to see how much they can get away with, but the people whom it does bother are not 'uninformed customers.'

Originally posted by crockopoopoo

Their update changes nothing for me. I am paying a subscription to have access to all of the content. I don't care if its only cosmetic or fluff. Every single item in a store is something that players subscribers should have access to without having to pay a single dime more than the subscription.

Subs Plus should not be an acceptable payment method to anyone. Alternate (other than subs) payment methods are fine (ala DDO, LOTRO) but Subs Plus is strait adding content that requires you to pay a sub and then pay micro payments to get access. If you support companies that are going Subs Plus then you are basically volenteering to pay more money for the same content.

You sub entitles you to the service. Nothing elese. This is where most of the issue comes from, uninformed coustmers thinking they are entitled to more for nothing.

Since when MrBloodworth did this become fact, and what book did you pull it from? Since the industry decided that they wanted more money on top of the sub and game purchases by milking their customers? Well I have to say, I wonder how much the companies are paying you to say this. No customer will fight so hard to pay more for what they always have gotten in the past for less.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by qombi

Since when MrBloodworth did this become fact, and what book did you pull it from? Since the industry decided that they wanted more money on top of the sub and game purchases by milking their customers? Well I have to say, I wonder how much the companies are paying you to say this. No customer will fight so hard to pay more for what they always have gotten in the past for less.

He's just playing devil's advocate due to the knee jerk responses seen lately on these forums for something that's been a long time coming (so its not new), is pretty much inevitable, and most of all, for the most part, does little to nothing to impact an individual player's enjoyment of their game of choice.

There's a time and place to have strong principals in many facets of life, but MMORPG payment options just isn't one of them.

As long as the game remains fun, play it, if the cash shops or alternate payment options start to degrade your fun, time to leave, simple as that.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by qombi

He's just playing devil's advocate due to the knee jerk responses seen lately on these forums for something that's been a long time coming (so its not new), is pretty much inevitable, and most of all, for the most part, does little to nothing to impact an individual player's enjoyment of their game of choice.

There's a time and place to have strong principals in many facets of life, but MMORPG payment options just isn't one of them.

As long as the game remains fun, play it, if the cash shops or alternate payment options start to degrade your fun, time to leave, simple as that.

I disagree, you must speak with your wallet with any purchase. There is a difference playing the devil's advocate and being paid by a company. I am not saying he is, but I do have my suspicions. Item shops will affect you no matter what people think. Things that once could have been obtained in game will end up in the shop, you will get less with your sub fee because as you seen from their update, all these things are not being produced to go in the game which could have been just as easy to do than sticking it in a cash shop.

You will get less for your sub if an item shop goes in a game, fact. Why add it to the game if you can add it to a shop where people have to pay extra? I am sorry, I am not against free to play games with an item shop for revenue, but I will never pay for games, expansions, sub fee, and on top of that a cash shop. Count me out. So explain to me why in the past with your sub fee and box purchases you got the entire game but now companies want to hold back and sell small parts of it for additional money? I will tell you and that is greed.

Only thing in a captalist society that keeps prices from risen is customers saying that's enough.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Originally posted by Kyleran

Why not??

This is our hobby...our chosen form of entertanment. Why should we lie down and just accept changes that have negative effects on how we choose to spend our time??

people are just entirely too willing to take things lying down, and this is how we've gotten to this point. If gaming companies think we are just stupid cash cows that can be milked in any way they see fit, then this is the way things will go.

I think it's been too long since the harsh lesson that SOE was dealt reminded game companies that WE have the power.

WE have the money. And if they change games in ways that we don't like, or conflict with our principles, we can simply stop paying them.

Shrugging your shoulders and saying "oh well", while sending them your sub fee doesn't do anything to curb this kind of thing.

Speak with your wallet.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I'll still play. If you don't want to support the Item Shop then don't buy from it. Getting upset over a pair of goggles that barely affect play. Attack a prairie chicken with goggles on...now..goggles off. Dare you to notice the difference. The Dogs cool though imo..the only thing I wish they would do is allow you to customize it's appearance for the (kinda steep) $10.00. Now it will look like everyone got their dog from the same litter...I know...it was the only dog d.n.a. they had on file.lol.   It seems most wont sub or keep playing because of the principle. What principle? You don't have to buy the damn item shop stuff...and none of it...I dont care what anyone says..will affect gameplay to any noticable degree. No one is going to lose in PvP because the other player has the brass goggle on. No one is going play the same amount of time as you and be 7 levels higher because of the brass googles or the ability to carry 4 more stacks of refuse.   So you bought the box set, pay montlhy, and have the option of extra frills through the shop..or not.  No one..at any point..put a  zip gun to your head.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Originally posted by BarCrow

I'll still play. If you don't want to support the Item Shop then don't buy from it. Getting upset over a pair of goggles that barely affect play. Attack a prairie chicken with goggles on...now..goggles off. Dare you to notice the difference. The Dogs cool though imo..the only thing I wish they would do is allow you to customize it's appearance for the (kinda steep) $10.00. Now it will look like everyone got their dog from the same litter...I know...it was the only dog d.n.a. they had on file.lol.   It seems most wont sub or keep playing because of the principle. What principle? You don't have to buy the damn item shop stuff...and none of it...I dont care what anyone says..will affect gameplay to any noticable degree. No one is going to lose in PvP because the other player has the brass goggle on. No one is going play the same amount of time as you and be 7 levels higher because of the brass googles or the ability to carry 4 more stacks of refuse.   So you bought the box set, pay montlhy, and have the option of extra frills through the shop..or not.  No one..at any point..put a  zip gun to your head.

ah, this might be a good argument IF they weren't planning on adding more items to the shop.

But we all know they are. No one has an item shop with only two items.

This is the tip of the iceberg. This is the candy-coating to make the pill easier to swallow.

Before you know it, there will be items that are "must have", and then the real problem will become apparent.

• WilliacWilliac Member Posts: 212

Cancelled sub

• St0rmtrooperSt0rmtrooper Member Posts: 8

Was actually on the fence of resubbing (bought the game upon release but never bought a subscription after the initial 30 days).

This time around I was mainly concerned about the size of the playerbase and I was also not pleased by the combat system (and specifically how fake shooting feels). But now I've read they are introducing an item shop, I made my decision and will not return.

The game does have potential to become something great though (and worthy of my time).

• ciupibzciupibz Member Posts: 6

Cancelled sub also.

I really liked FE. For me it was the only game i had a quarterly subscription plan. What a mistake that was.

All those RP stuff they are planning on adding to the store (cloths, customizations, etc) could have been a great addition to the game and would have attracted more players. But now.... pfff

• MechanicusMechanicus Member Posts: 77

Originally posted by Treekodar

Originally posted by Hashbrick

Shortly this game will be remembered in MMO hell as this was the final nail in it's coffin. It was already doing terrible, now with all these subs canceled the doors are going to close fast.

''All the subs canceled'' - source?

It takes a certain kind of stupidty to misquote something you not only just quoted yourself, but is also in a one-sentence post. It's not like it was hidden amongst a wall of text. He said "all THESE" subs, not "all THE" subs, referring to all the people above in this thread that have said they are cancelling or not resubbing.

I was a big FE fan. I was in the beta, played quite a bit afterwards, but then had a break. I came back during the Halloween trial, and then resubbed shortly afterwards. When I stopped playing, they essentially stole money from me (I cancelled my account, but they continued to take money from me, and when I complained, they wouldn't give it back). They 'graciously' put my account on hold, so I could use the month they had billed me for whenever I wanted. That will never be used now, because there is no way I'm touching this game with an item mall in it!

Current MMO: None
    Previous MMOs: WoW, Guild Wars, SWG, EQ2, LotrO, Vanguard, Matrix Online, AoC, Ultima Online, Fallen Earth, D&D Online, Champions Online, Aion, Rift.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Mahlo

the worrying thing is that icarus reduced their staff by 75% recently.

Can you list all the dev studios that didn't reduce or reassign staff shortly after release?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

I'm just of the opinion that no item are 'must have" . Just about all these games are set up to make items useless after a short time. Pets/mounts/cosmetic goods are one thing....but stat gear is useless to buy as there will always be the next  better version.  I guess I just don't look at it as a big deal . If all the people who claim  they quit..or think the gear is must have...just keep playing a game they like after the item shop is implemented....without buying anything ....I'd bet they wouldn't even notice the difference. Instead it's an immediate blaspheme to their mmo belief system  and they fly into a rage. We are not entitled to every creation any game  team comes up with...free of charge.. just because we bought  and subscribe to their game. We even agree to this to some degree whenever we read and check the EULA. Well..we all have our opinions and there is more than enough mmos out there. It is certainly a touchy subject for many...but if it is required to keep the game going...so be it. If the game sadly dies because of this decision.. then I'll be playing AoC more often.

• CzargioCzargio Member Posts: 183

People saying "just don't buy the items, it's not a big deal, lol stop overreacting" need to listen up.

I'm going to wiretap you. Are you ok with that? I'll listen in to all your email and phone conversations. If you protest, I'll just say "this shouldn't bother you if you have nothing to hide." 

Of course it bothers you! Even if you have nothing to hide, you don't want people listening in to you. Privacy matters.

The point is this, the thing in question, be an item mall or wiretap, doesn't have to directly affect you to piss you off. The existence of an item mall with non-fluff items in a p2p game is a huge deal to me. I can't choose not to be wiretapped, but I CAN choose to stop paying these guys money. And I did.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

When you're comparing the optional purchase of a pet dog in a video game to wiretaping phone, then it seems like it's time to step back, breathe and relax.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

Pretty big difference between wire tapping and item mall but in any case. I also dont see too big a deal in it. In fact the more people buy stuff in an item mall when you dont the more they are supporting the devs who might then afford to expand and create a better game because of it. Think of item shop people as subsdizing your game playing.

I think its pretty obvious they were not making enough money to otherwise keep the door open...its less an act of greed and more an act of desperation I would think. If you otherwise enjoyed the game I would think you might pray that tons of other people that also enjoy the game with lots of money to spare sink it into the cash shop to keep the game alive for you.

On the whole cash shops, F2P, etc are all signs of a game on the edge and are usually a last act of desperation.

• WardropWardrop Member Posts: 462

Ahh another title ill never resub to now.. I see item mail, my wallet says "Ohh hell no! "

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Most of you seem to forget one thing, Icarus is a small company, and without many subscribers they need all the money they can get their hands on..

Maybe they are doing this in hopes of saving the game, I find it hard to believe greed is the reason for selling 2 rather low level items(wich makes them fluff items)..

Instead of quitting you should support Icarus in the struggle to save this game and even buy these items from them.

The Googles look very cool :)

Yes Yes I know...Item shop is bad, but It's has also been shown that Item shops are here to stay, just look at DDO and what soon will happen to LOTRO....For what it's worth everyone can now play DDO and one day they might become subscribers.

/Junker

Originally posted by thark
    Most of you seem to forget one thing, Icarus is a small company, and without many subscribers they need all the money they can get their hands on..
    Maybe they are doing this in hopes of saving the game, I find it hard to believe greed is the reason for selling 2 rather low level items(wich makes them fluff items)..
    Instead of quitting you should support Icarus in the struggle to save this game and even buy these items from them.
    The Googles look very cool :)

Yes Yes I know...Item shop is bad, but It's has also been shown that Item shops are here to stay, just look at DDO and what soon will happen to LOTRO....For what it's worth everyone can now play DDO and one day they might become subscribers.

/Junker

Now these are going to be extreme examples but if we had this attitude about all things in life there would only be the Catholic church and USA would not be independent of Britain

They don't even have to be on the brink of closing down to add item malls. (though I think Icarus is pretty close). I can live my life comfortably...with just enough cash flow ...but I sure could use some more expendable income. I think anyone ...or any business ...enjoys a profitable existence.

Now..to make an extreme statement of my own...People are so incensed about this...it's like Icarus is the US government and the cash shop is the Patriot Act. Except the cash shop is ..in fact...giving us more choice/rights and not less. I wish this kind of passion existed for more important matters.

• ThrawlThrawl Member Posts: 271

I was seriously thinking about resubbing. No way in hell now.

Our spirit was here long before you

Long before us

And long will it be after your pride brings you to your end