Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top 10 Most Populated MMORPGs?

FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515

I was just curious if anybody had a link to a site which shows the top 10 most populated/played MMORPGs.  If not a link then at least a 1-10 if you wouldn't mind typing it out.  I know WoW is number 1, but I'm curious to know what 2-10 is.

I also know there's Xfire rankings etc, but that isn't particularly accurate because it only counts the players who use Xfire whilst playing.  I'm looking for something more official to be honest.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• DaywolfDaywolf Member Posts: 749

Well there is mmochart.com but it’s not entirely accurate. It counts paying subs, not active log-ins. So some games, like SOE games where Station Access subs are not recorded, or SecondLife where most active players use the cash shop, well it does not get reflected on the chart. But it’ll give you a rough estimate.

M59, UO, EQ1, WWIIOL, PS, EnB, SL, SWG. MoM, EQ2, AO, SB, CoH, LOTRO, WoW, DDO+ f2p's, Demo’s & indie alpha's.

• BrifBrif Member UncommonPosts: 529

WoW is the most populated subscription based MMORPG, but not even close to the most populated MMORPG.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Originally posted by FuryV

I was just curious if anybody had a link to a site which shows the top 10 most populated/played MMORPGs.  If not a link then at least a 1-10 if you wouldn't mind typing it out.  I know WoW is number 1, but I'm curious to know what 2-10 is.

I also know there's Xfire rankings etc, but that isn't particularly accurate because it only counts the players who use Xfire whilst playing.  I'm looking for something more official to be honest.

Thanks in advance.

You probably should specify if you want Pay to Play MMOs, Free to Play or a combination of both. This distinction does make a difference as while WoW may be "#1" in Pay to Play it is not "#1" overall.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395

I'm just wondering, what is the most popular mmorpg overall?

• KaoRyxKaoRyx Member Posts: 68
    Farmville =P

Someday we'll all look back on the age of computers - and lol.

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395

That would just be sad :(

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

There is no accurate source for the information you want, no companies release enough information to put that type of list together.

On top of that there is the question of do you want the most played? the most subbed? the most hours logged by players over a month? There's a lot of ways to determine the most popular, and it's even more difficult when trying to compare different models like p2p and f2p.

• RogueSevenRogueSeven Member Posts: 321

well u got WoW with like 10mil. i think lineage has a bit more then that still.

i think LoTRO is still pretty populated...i think even, in terms of how many people on a server, is pretty good, just broke 60k on the server at the same time....in total i think they have like 500k subs....im not sure how many people guild wars still has playing but they have sold over 6 million boxes.

• FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515

OK I'll clear this up.  I'm looking for...

- P2P

- Most Populated on a daily basis.  For example, which game has the most players currently playing each day, so that if you log in you're always guaranteed to see a load of players in major towns/cities etc, such as Orgrimmar/Stormwind etc in WoW.

I think we're looking too much into this anyway... I just wanted a top 10 list of the most populated MMOs in general.  I guess that would count as the top 10 MMOs which have the most active subscriptions.  I know WoW is number 1 in this department with 11 million subscribers.

Surely there's a way of knowing which games are in position 2 to 10.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

- P2P

- Most Populated on a daily basis.  For example, which game has the most players currently playing each day, so that if you log in you're always guaranteed to see a load of players in major towns/cities etc, such as Orgrimmar/Stormwind etc in WoW.

I think we're looking too much into this anyway... I just wanted a top 10 list of the most populated MMOs in general.  I guess that would count as the top 10 MMOs which have the most active subscriptions.  I know WoW is number 1 in this department with 11 million subscribers.

Well, subscription based it's WoW. "In general" (which includes F2P) it isn't WoW. Aside from that, Snarlingwolf has given you about the most accurate answer you're going to get. The companies don't give out subscription numbers and noone can be verified as truly mining that information from all subscription based games. THe only Subscription based games I know that give numbers are WoW and EVE.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• dar_es_balatdar_es_balat Member Posts: 438

Just look at the 10 most recently released MMO's and put WOW at the top of the list for shits and giggles.

You'll have your top 10.  Of course in 3 months that list will change. :-)

Crappy, petty people breed and raise crappy, petty kids.

• ArentasArentas Member Posts: 76

- P2P

Aion is #2.  After that it gets pretty blurry.

If you want to get an accurate representation of game quality, you need to leave the Asian marketing numbers out of the equation.  They have a tendency to bloat active account numbers for games that the majority of the NA/European market consider subpar... much the same way F2P games do.

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

Im a fan(OP) lets make a topic asking obvious and between lines say what all wanne hear that wow is most popular lol.

At least when you make topic like this, show a charts even when its not accurate and just discus what you wanne know instead mention your beloved themepark:P

Not hard to google and find out whtas most populated mmo btw.

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

If you had to guess, what position would you say Warhammer Online was at, realistically?

Originally posted by Evasia

Im a fan(OP) lets make a topic asking obvious and between lines say what all wanne hear that wow is most popular lol.

At least when you make topic like this, show a charts even when its not accurate and just discus what you wanne know instead mention your beloved themepark:P

Not hard to google and find out whtas most populated mmo btw.

Sorry, I don't understand what you just said :S