Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No levels & no classes; experience pts to buy powers!

chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

WOW!!

I mean, this sound like a dream too good to be true, right? I mean, no levels & no classes; experience points to buy powers. I so looking forward to this. So far, I havent yet seen any game that has done it the same. Fallen Earth had levels, but no classes as well as a system where you earned pts to develop your character. This just have to be the best... I truly hope so. As long as FC doesn't screw up with a too early release.

Thanks FunCom, for bringing back some faith into the MMO world!

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

Comments

• dmathewsfldmathewsfl Member Posts: 79

Originally posted by chrisel

WOW!!

I mean, this sound like a dream too good to be true, right? I mean, no levels & no classes; experience points to buy powers. I so looking forward to this. So far, I havent yet seen any game that has done it the same. Fallen Earth had levels, but no classes as well as a system where you earned pts to develop your character. This just have to be the best... I truly hope so. As long as FC doesn't screw up with a too early release.

im always scared when funcom tries to bring out a new game :( I really enjoy skill based games, from way back when i first started mmos w/ UO. Its one of the reasons im looking forward to Earthrise, no classes and skill based. Only reason im weary about TSW is because of the track record of funcom, so if i do follow it, it wont be as close as i normally would. I'll just check up on it every now and then, dont wanna get excited over something that might be a bust =/

spelling

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

im getting more optimistic about this one, so far, all i've heard/seen of the game is encouraging, it is good to see more games being released that arent level based though, in terms of PVP, i think levels are really incompatable with gameplay, and i've yet to see a single game that handles it well. Funcom, kind of going up in my estimation tbh, they really seem to be caring about their games!

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

I feel that FunCom got it quite right with Anarchy Online. They clearly messed alot up with Age of Conan for sure; trying to make it so damn special & unique killed that game.

With TSW I think FC has learnt their lessons. There seem to be game mechanics that is quite far from the Age of Conan, like reduced instancing and such. I am happy to say that I am truly encouraged by this release.

• IzorkIzork Member UncommonPosts: 381

"early release" for TSW, well they been making it for years. Before 2008. I dont know for how long, but its been in progress for some time now. So if we say they started on it in 2006 they have 5 years as release will prob be Q2 2011. I think it will be a big succes and will pewn SW:TOR which will be a huge dissapointment.

• dmathewsfldmathewsfl Member Posts: 79

I feel that FunCom got it quite right with Anarchy Online. They clearly messed alot up with Age of Conan for sure; trying to make it so damn special & unique killed that game.

With TSW I think FC has learnt their lessons. There seem to be game mechanics that is quite far from the Age of Conan, like reduced instancing and such. I am happy to say that I am truly encouraged by this release.

They didnt get it right w/ AO when it first came out, maybe now 100 yrs after release, im not sure i havent played in since a maybe a year after release. I cant even think of a game that had a worse launch, it was practically unplayable, maybe there is worse that someone can comment on, but nothing ive played. 

Im not worried about FC not getting it right and making TSW a good mmo 5 years from release, im worried about their shoddy track record on their game releases

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

It sounds decent, though to what extent we'll see.  No levels sounds great, but what they probably aren't going to tell you is that your skills will have levels, of course, so you'll still be gaining experience to get to the next tier ability.  Then its just a matter of, how can a new player compete when this guy has X ability 6 and he only has X ability 1.

Of course this is all supposition, but, lets face it, Funcom isn't much of an innovator.  

I'm still paying attention to this game, but SWTOR still ranks in my top spot for now.

I think so, that skills will have levels to reflect it's power. Which is fine by me. Same will prolly go for health. We need 'some' sort of measurement in the MMO world, as I dont think we would like 1 shots?

• B14cKs0LB14cKs0L Member UncommonPosts: 152

This is what made Asherons call such a great game. You had a set amount of points you could use to "Spec" into skills that would in turn give you more of that skill for less XP spent in it. After that just earn xp and spend the points to raise what skills you wanted.

To bad most people can't get past the dated gfx to give the game a shot.

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

There will inevtiably be some grind involved, most likely in building up skills.

I just hope we don't have another Darkfall where skill grind replaces level and gear grind and then makes it 10x worse. I'd rather see something like eve where someone can be nearly as effective as a vet in a specific role fairly quickly, but a vet will have many more roles to specialize in and therefore more options, and not necessarily far higher health/dammage output.

All I ask is that if there is pvp in the game, plz attempt try to keep it competiive for all players.

• goldenkeygoldenkey Member UncommonPosts: 98

I would like to point out that Anarchy online was the biggest screwup in MMO history. When it was released it was unplayable and to this day it still has the title of the most botched MMO release ever a title it has held for over 10 years now. AOC was no where near as bad at release one thing Funcom is good at tho is fixing what they broke thats for sure both AOC and Anarchy Online are stable MMO's with alot of unique content.

Lets just hope they take their time and spend the cash this time so we can have a smooth release with a reasonable amount of content.

Maybe I wasnt so picky about my MMO's when I started to play AO; it was my first MMO after all. I didnt have 'that' much problems with the game actually. No big deals. I would for sure find such a release totally unacceptable today.

Anyways. TSW is actually the ONLY game I am folding my hands for. I am fed up with crappy MMO's. I do not belive in any new MMO's. Whatsoever. Not until I tried them AFTER release. Will go ages before I pre-order any new MMO again for sure. I might pre-order TSW though. Time will see, when I read reports from BETA. I might even apply for a BETA key too, as I have never done that before, as I have been too eager to experience the 'finished' product.

• NueshaNuesha Member Posts: 41

wouldn't it somewhat come to the same?

Instead of leveling a character your leveling skills

And as for classes, I'm sure you'll still be looking for a "tank" or a "healer" or a "dps"

The game does look promissing but I think in the end it comes to the same :3

• Originally posted by maskedweasel
    It sounds decent, though to what extent we'll see.  No levels sounds great, but what they probably aren't going to tell you is that your skills will have levels, of course, so you'll still be gaining experience to get to the next tier ability.  Then its just a matter of, how can a new player compete when this guy has X ability 6 and he only has X ability 1.

Of course this is all supposition, but, lets face it, Funcom isn't much of an innovator.  

I'm still paying attention to this game, but SWTOR still ranks in my top spot for now.

Since this thread has "come back" some, let me say that FC in VERY innovative. The reason that AO went boom during release is because they tried some new tech and it took some time to work out the kinks. You may heard of this new tech ... it was called instancing. Yes, AO was the first to use instancing and they paid for it with a buggy release of AO.

This may be a very good game. I remember skill based games like UO and AC1 and they are much different than level based games. Level based game are bassivcally DIKU MUDS based around holy trinity of tank/healer/DPS. In skill based games that doesn't hold up as well since builds can be so different. Only time will tell if this title pans out.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Originally posted by Nihilist

There will inevtiably be some grind involved, most likely in building up skills.

I just hope we don't have another Darkfall where skill grind replaces level and gear grind and then makes it 10x worse. I'd rather see something like eve where someone can be nearly as effective as a vet in a specific role fairly quickly, but a vet will have many more roles to specialize in and therefore more options, and not necessarily far higher health/dammage output.

All I ask is that if there is pvp in the game, plz attempt try to keep it competiive for all players.

Definitely. One way to approximate the balance achieved by EVE is to have skill caps and inability to switch playstyles drastically on the fly.

I.e., in EVE you may have all level 5 skills relevant to a certain Assault Frigate setup, you may also have all relevant skills to fly a logistics ship (healer basically), but....you can't fly both at the same time, you have to dock and switch ships.

Could be approximated in a game like this by having realistic cool downs for switching weapons. and/or realistic weight limits, and stamina degradation. You might be able to carry a chain saw and a pistol and still run and jump full speed, but not a chainsaw and a rifle or grenade launcher. The backpack with nanotech cauterization bots for healing might be all you can carry.

In sum, a vet might be more versatile, might be able to better repair or craft their gear, and might be able to switch toles outside of battle, but a month old new player can still compete with one or two playstyles.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

There may be no visible character levels but there will be levels of some sort to seperate people into tiers of earned experience.There may not be classes but you cna also bet that there will be builds optimal to different combat roles that will become more indemand than random buidls.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

WOW!!

Asheron's Call uses a very similar system.

Originally posted by Nuesha

And as for classes, I'm sure you'll still be looking for a "tank" or a "healer" or a "dps"

No.

I am allercig to raiding, so I will not look for any of those out-of-date chartacters. Those are for the old fashioned games with old fashioned playstyle.

The Secret World will be something brand new, with SHOOH to 'the holy triade'!

• wolfingwolfing Member UncommonPosts: 149

I prefer class based MMOs. I like filling a particular role, and when I'm in a group, I like to think of members as a particular role. Otherwise it's just a bunch of same things (flavor of the month build)

• RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

Originally posted by Nuesha

No.

I am allercig to raiding, so I will not look for any of those out-of-date chartacters. Those are for the old fashioned games with old fashioned playstyle.
    The Secret World will be something brand new, with SHOOH to 'the holy triade'!

I sincerely hope you are correct. I too, have forever sworn off such old-fasioned games, using old-fashioned playing styles, and want something fresh, different and vibrant. The fact that TSW does not feature Elves or Orcs is a Good Thing; even better, is the removal of classes and levels in place of builds and their permutations.

It's refreshing to see a developer grow a pair - especially given development costs and that players have developed zero tolerance towards botched releases (even though some players are still subbed to STO - go figure) - and try a different direction; even though the safe course of action would be to release yet another Fantasy game.

Cheers!

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

I think TSW has one of the best themes and settings for a MMO all around, only for that I'd already be interested in it.

And they're certainly trying to do things differently from most other MMO's, with the no levels no classes thing and their combat with the State  system.

I like it how a number of the upcoming MMO's are taking another approach to several MMO gameplay mechanics, it's refreshing.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by Izork

"early release" for TSW, well they been making it for years. Before 2008. I dont know for how long, but its been in progress for some time now. So if we say they started on it in 2006 they have 5 years as release will prob be Q2 2011. I think it will be a big succes and will pewn SW:TOR which will be a huge dissapointment.

TSW has been in the works, at least conceptual wise, since before WoW was released. They showed us concept art and a few ingame screenshots on the Anarchy Online forums back around '03 ( unfortunately, the forums were wiped a few years back and i never saved those images, wish I had ).. They were using the same Anarchy Online version of the Dreamworld engine for "The World" at the time, so it looked like AO graphically, all the screens showed was an asian woman running with a katana sword, sort of like how the first teaser shots for the modern version were done.  Back then it was  titled "The World Online". It was put on hold when Gaute and the other bigwigs at Funcom got the IP for Conan and decided to roll with that instead.

Edit: In fact, you should all be happy they decided to do AoC first. Otherwise, TSW would not look or play anything like what you've seen of it now.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• zeidenzeiden Member Posts: 44

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

TSW has been in the works, at least conceptual wise, since before WoW was released. They showed us concept art and a few ingame screenshots on the Anarchy Online forums back around '03 ( unfortunately, the forums were wiped a few years back and i never saved those images, wish I had ).. They were using the same Anarchy Online version of the Dreamworld engine for "The World" at the time, so it looked like AO graphically, all the screens showed was an asian woman running with a katana sword, sort of like how the first teaser shots for the modern version were done.  Back then it was  titled "The World Online". It was put on hold when Gaute and the other bigwigs at Funcom got the IP for Conan and decided to roll with that instead.

Are these the screens you're talking about?

http://www.gamespot.com/users/katjajett/view_image_original?id=a9ULsk5z7hqZ5hvklQ&popup=1

http://www.gamespot.com/users/katjajett/view_image_original?id=OYRY5E8i7hqZ5hvklA&popup=1

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by zeiden

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Are these the screens you're talking about?

http://www.gamespot.com/users/katjajett/view_image_original?id=a9ULsk5z7hqZ5hvklQ&popup=1

http://www.gamespot.com/users/katjajett/view_image_original?id=OYRY5E8i7hqZ5hvklA&popup=1

Yes, those are a couple I believe, but there were even older screens that were "rougher" drafts than those. But even from those pics you posted there, you can see a huge difference between before it was put on hold and now. For instance, the first shot is from the original CGI and the second shot is an ingame screenshot. In fact, reminds you a bit of Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, doesn't it?

That's why I think it's a good thing they got AoC out of the way first, as they went all-out on the graphics and such for the "big IP", which now benefits TSW.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

I admit it. I squealed like a rabid fangirl when they mentioned in the video that there were no classes/levels. I've been waiting for a setup like this for a long time now. <3

<3

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Reminds me of Asheron's Call, except not even placeholder levels (which is all levels really were in AC1). It'll be interesting to see how important skill levels will be in terms of beginning content and "higher level" content.