Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How good is NWN (1 or 2) for small group online play?

PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

I've got a couple of friends I play online sports or flight sims pretty regularly with. However you know the type - ancient computers, and they have almost certainly never played an RPG in their lives. I'm wondering if NWN would be any fun for them/us, or if it might even convert them into MMORPG players eventually.

I'm trying to think of something like Baldur's Gate (which I did play myself years ago) in multiplayer mode, but I'm having a little trouble picturing just how good that really might be online. I'd appreciate any opinions. Thanks.

- Is there a best version/and or mod for 3 players (no dungeon master)?

- It's turn based combat on a grid, right?

- Could the player characters temporarily go to different places in the game if they wanted to?

Etc. Thanks again.

Comments

• akhevaakheva Member UncommonPosts: 7

While NWN and BG are amazingly good games, I wouldn't make them my choice for intro to RPG games. If your main intent is to get them into MMOs.. then do so right off the bat.. WoW is insanly popular especially among those that haven't even played a game none the less a rpg. Its simplistic and straight foward game play is appealing to all levels of gamers, and hey.. with over 11 million subscribers you can't go wrong. If you really think you need to ease them into RPGs, some nice console style, aka "Easternized" RPGs are really good.. ala final fantasy. Can't go wrong with FFX or something simular.

I just think that NWN with its hidden die rolls and low magic system is off putting to alot of people. Even KOTOR is a beter choice imo..  just my 2 cents.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by Pynda

I've got a couple of friends I play online sports or flight sims pretty regularly with. However you know the type - ancient computers, and they have almost certainly never played an RPG in their lives. I'm wondering if NWN would be any fun for them/us, or if it might even convert them into MMORPG players eventually.

I'm trying to think of something like Baldur's Gate (which I did play myself years ago) in multiplayer mode, but I'm having a little trouble picturing just how good that really might be online. I'd appreciate any opinions. Thanks.

- Could the player characters temporarily go to different places in the game if they wanted to?

Etc. Thanks again.

Here's an idea.

All of you download Dungeons and Dragons Online.

It's free and you can do all the dungeons together. It has great quality and a decent population. You can also pay a sub if you want but you really don't need to.

http://www.ddo.com/

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • u18bu2sa0ku18bu2sa0k Member Posts: 144

yeah i think NWN is a good choice,the attacks are roll based but most importantly its not turn based (aka wont take ages to acomplish something)

the online content is about 90 times bigger then singleplayer (doesnt mean you should miss the SP) thanks to Bioware tools and the communitty you will find Servers (online persistent worlds) that are tottally custom made and diferent then the single player campagin (often with 50+ more people online on single shard) with thier own rules and backstorry.

the online content is about 90 times of the singleplayer

you can pick up Diamond edition now a days very cheap it contains everything NWN.

Originally posted by Sovrath

Etc. Thanks again.

Here's an idea.

It's free and you can do all the dungeons together. It has great quality and a decent population. You can also pay a sub if you want but you really don't need to.

good idea but they dont have good PC s

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by u18bu2sa0k

Originally posted by Sovrath

Etc. Thanks again.

Here's an idea.

good idea but they dont have good PC s

I suppose that's a very good point. Depends on what bad pc's are. Neverwinter Nights 2 was sort of hard on my older system with the bells and whistles turned up. But ran better when turned down (of course)

I imagine if they turned ddo's settings down that it could be very doable.

Here are the system requirements for the op just in case:

Minimum System Requirements

Processor: P4 1.6 GHz or AMD equivalent with SSE

Memory512 MB RAM

GraphicsCard 64 MB Hardware T&L -compatible video card

NetworkConnection 56.6 K modem

SoftwareWindows XP, DIrectX 9

DiscSpace 3GB, 5GB for high resolution

Recommended System Requirements

Processor P4 3.0GHz or AMD equivalent with SSE

Memory 1GB RAM

Graphics Card GeForce FX or better with 128MB of memory

Network Connection Cable Modem or DSL connection

Software Windows XP, DirectX 9

Disc Space 3GB 5GB for high resolution

If you are running below any of these requirements, you may encounter graphical issues or poor overall performance which Turbine will be unable to troubleshoot. 

Is Windows ME a supported operating system?

No.

Is Windows 98 a supported operating system?

No.

Is Windows 95 a supported operating system?

No.

Windows 2000 a supported operating system for DDO?

No. Windows 2000 is not a supported operating system for DDO.

Can I play Dungeons and Dragons Online on my Macintosh?

There are no plans at this time to make a Macintosh compatible version of DDO. Please check the DDO Forums for player communication on this matter.

Can I play Dungeons and Dragons Online on Linux or UNIX?

There are no plans at this time to make a Linux or UNIX compatible version.

Can I play Dungeons and Dragons Online on my Playstation 2 or Playstation 3?

Currently, DDO only supports Windows XP and Vista.

There are no plans at this time to make a Playstation compatible version.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

one thing i learned in past that minimum sys requirements turned into Marketing.

it helps the box sales and its just and indicator for saying: you can start the game dont say i didnt told you(but most of the time it wont be playable).

• all3xxall3xx Member Posts: 2
    i didnt tryied this game but sound interesting.
    is there any refference system and person who invite me will get a reward?
    i want start this game and if someone want send me a buzzer i will join in it
  • SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Etc. Thanks again.

Absoultey do not go near Neverwinter Nights 2 with an older PC, but multiplayer Neverwinter Nights 1 is amazing as is the perfect entry point to MMORPGs.  In fact, many of the persistant world servers (which I advise you play on) are exactly like mini-MMORPGs.

• drake_hounddrake_hound Member Posts: 773

I would definetly recommend NWN 1 cause the system is very easy to understand , and tons of community adons or hackpacks to create your own envoirement .

Infact i think persistant servers or world created are already out there , so all you have to do is download one.

Its infact like a mmo , just with a game master .

NWN 1 any shitty computer can play it . while nwn 2 still has a high amount of requirement .

So its more understanding on time reaction (nwn is not 100% turnbaed when you run a persistent server , no action means you forfeit your round)

While continueing bashing your buttons might get you one more attack a round . (based on server client lag)

So thats basical principal that get people into mmorpg .

• sfly2000sfly2000 Member Posts: 168

Neverwinter Nights 1 is the best game for this sort of thing.

NWN2 was just a bad sequel.

I have played NWN1 for 6 years now and I definately don't see it as an entry point to any other MMORPG at this moment. I mean why should I? This game is better. There is a bette feeling and the game is designed with roleplaying in mind. Low magic..hmm...that depends on what server you're playing at...but yes...if you go for more roleplaying it kind of feels logical not to be loaded up with loads of high end magic gear already at the start of the game....

I mean...what if Frodo got the "Wand of destroying Mordor with one click" from the start? Would have been a really short movie/book right?

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Excellent game.

Very good tools for creating your own stuff.

Terrible graphics.

As long as graphics aren't your prime concern, NWN1 is outstanding.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• sfly2000sfly2000 Member Posts: 168

Just posting some of the supposed "terrible" graphics from NWN1 here. This is just one example from one random server.

http://www.nwnwake.com/gallery/gallery.html

As you can see it is not "terrible" at all. I mean if some people are even considering playing text or web versions of roleplaying games or indeed terribly looking games like Ultima Online I guess this is years ahead....

Not clanking down on Ultima Online. It is probably a good game. It is nowhere near NWN1 in graphics though.

WoW which is the leading game in the genre doesn't look ALL that much better than NWN1 if you look at theese screenshots. I think it is more the psychology of people. Like "It is an old game so it has to be ugly...." go back to Aion in that case....

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by sfly2000

Just posting some of the supposed "terrible" graphics from NWN1 here. This is just one example from one random server.

http://www.nwnwake.com/gallery/gallery.html

As you can see it is not "terrible" at all. I mean if some people are even considering playing text or web versions of roleplaying games or indeed terribly looking games like Ultima Online I guess this is years ahead....

Not clanking down on Ultima Online. It is probably a good game. It is nowhere near NWN1 in graphics though.

WoW which is the leading game in the genre doesn't look ALL that much better than NWN1 if you look at theese screenshots. I think it is more the psychology of people. Like "It is an old game so it has to be ugly...." go back to Aion in that case....

Outdoor areas in NWN1 never looked like that when I was playing it.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

No his screenshot was from nwn 1 , i was first doubting too , thinking its 2 .

But its stacked up objects , that a lot of people were using , that old comps couldn´t handle .

ITs a bit like COH base building , we sack up objects in a way that is not meant to happen .

But we simply did . put enough objects that doesn´t collide the place looks wonderfull .

Just back then old comps couldn´t handle it well , and causes huge amount of lag.

Dont forget NWN 1 was playable on a pentium 3 333mhz .

• ReiyReiy Member Posts: 9

you guys should give ultima online a shot, can run it on pretty low end comps

Sorry reiy , not going trough that route again , once i close down a mmo/online game (thats more UO), i close it down forever.

And i played UO trough the mad house mage phases .

That was when most of the community were mature and terrific :)

Sadly not going to do it again , once i close down wow , i ain´t looking back either .