Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: Mythic Nixes Mixed Realm Servers, Announces Appearance Items

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

WAR Producer Carrie Gouskos recently penned the Producer's Letter for the month of May, which contained a number of revelations for the upcoming 1.3.6 update.

Carrie had previously mentioned that players would be able to create characters on both realms on a single server in 1.3.6, however, it turns out Mythic is nixing this plan as a result of "mixed" community feedback on the matter.

In previous months, Mythic also released sets of screenshots teasing an upcoming armor overhaul for Warhammer Online, which would introduce much higher resolution armor to the game and provide additional variety to players. As Carrie told us in an interview on 1.3.5, community feedback was also mixed on this, as many players are attached to their particular look, and didn't want to see that change with the new armor sets. Mythic has found the solution to making both sides of the issue happy: appearance items! In 1.3.6 players will be able to select the armor they wear for stats and the armor they wear for appearance. Wearing Invader gear but prefer the Sentinel look? No problem!

View the full Producer's Letter here.

Pretty exciting news for WAR players. What do you think of Mythic's solution to the armor issue? Let us know in the comments below!

[Thanks Piasek for the tip!]

Comments

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Don't care about the armour - it's a trivial issue, but very good news about the mixed servers. That was a horrible idea.

This is another reminder to people who say "don't complain - you can't change anything" that they are wrong.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• rerednawrerednaw Member Posts: 23

I think it would have been a better idea have a trial period for mixed servers.  Not all of them, just say a couple. 

• HersaintHersaint Member UncommonPosts: 366

I remember way back when that the characters were supposed to grow over time - like longer beards for dwarves or skulls on the shlukderpads for orcs? Anyone else remember something about appearences changing based on PvP wins? ANyways this is a long way from that. Too bad. Liked the idea of culturally specific renown appearence for victories and accomplishments.

• KorithianKorithian Member Posts: 243

I was expecting them to say they are going free to play.

Short of the introduction of skaven into the game landscape via an expansion I'm not to sure if a few changes to the armour look and 2 class balance passes is really going to bring people back to WAR.

Now most people think the game was awful, I found the RvR a lot of fun at least tiers 1 and 2 but sadly mystic don't seem to have the staff to make the full game this fun. At least not in the lifetime of this product. Which is a shame but I suspect may have more to do with EA's massive lay offs of staff than a lack of desire by the development team.

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Originally posted by Korithian

Short of the introduction of skaven into the game landscape via an expansion I'm not to sure if a few changes to the armour look and 2 class balance passes is really going to bring people back to WAR.

Now most people think the game was awful, I found the RvR a lot of fun at least tiers 1 and 2 but sadly mystic don't seem to have the staff to make the full game this fun. At least not in the lifetime of this product. Which is a shame but I suspect may have more to do with EA's massive lay offs of staff than a lack of desire by the development team.

I believe the appearance changes were supposed to be for the PvE 1-40, not the PvP. That was a feature that I was psyched about as well, and I felt brought the game down overall when they scrapped it.  People may say that it's a waste of time, but it'd give me a reason to keep playing just to watch my character change as I level, aside from just the usual gear upgrades. 

• teddy_bareteddy_bare Member UncommonPosts: 398

Originally posted by Hersaint

I remember way back when that the characters were supposed to grow over time - like longer beards for dwarves or skulls on the shlukderpads for orcs? Anyone else remember something about appearences changing based on PvP wins? ANyways this is a long way from that. Too bad. Liked the idea of culturally specific renown appearence for victories and accomplishments.

Yeah, I was a beta tester that got in very early on when this was still being discussed, it seemed like such an awesome idea and was one of, if not THE most disapointing feature to be dropped.

It was dropped b/c of time restraints, what happened was when we first got into testing the game, there was no outdoor PvP/RvR, it was all instanced, that was what caused that months long blackout when they stopped testing for awhile while they hastily threw the "RvR lakes" onto the existing maps. I personally think the whole "character growing" thing possibly would've made it in had they had not been caught off guard when we testers told them that not having open-world RvR was freakin lame. Maybe not, I don't know...

All I know is that if they had listened to what the community were saying they wanted as soon as the game was announced, which was an updated DAoC in the awesome Warhammer setting, the game would've been much better. Damn, I'm still really bitter about the whole thing, I just can't for the life of me figure out how they were thinking that PvE + Scenarios would be enough. Well, I guess I can, they tried to bite off WoW too much and it came around to bite them in ass...HARD.

Sorry I went so far off topic, I can't help it, WAR just had soo much freakin potential.

Originally posted by teddyboy420

Sorry I went so far off topic, I can't help it, WAR just had soo much freakin potential.

Amen, brother. I am right there with you.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

I like the changes.

To me, appearance is incredibly important because how I look is part of my own personal narrative.

I find it funny that in warhammer, if you dye your armor x amount of times you get a title that goes something like "the vain".

A title that I earned. image

I also agree with the changes to the servers. I understand their position but having a player play both sides on a server is not the way to go.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Originally posted by Sovrath

I like the changes.

To me, appearance is incredibly important because how I look is part of my own personal narrative.

I find it funny that in warhammer, if you dye your armor x amount of times you get a title that goes something like "the vain".

A title that I earned. image

You look fine! It's time to go! We're missing the coming attractions!

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

So much for the initial stament that

"you will be able to see in the siluett of a player what race and how powerfull he is. Not he can look like a t1 grunt and be carrying full end-game gear.

Oh well otoh not all gear will fall out of use in a flash.

This have been a good conversation

• SilverelSilverel Member UncommonPosts: 24

Originally posted by tawess

So much for the initial stament that

"you will be able to see in the siluett of a player what race and how powerfull he is. Not he can look like a t1 grunt and be carrying full end-game gear.

Oh well otoh not all gear will fall out of use in a flash.

It's not that hard to identify someone wearing Tyrant, Warlord, or Sovereign gear. Also, when you start recognizing peoples names based on how badass they are, it really starts to make a difference. There's got to be at least 50 players that I'll see and immediately know they're going to lay down the stomp. WAR is rolling along at it's own pace, but it's a good pace, and it's still the best PvP on the market, imho.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

I like appearence tabs and such in any game, it helps eliminate the "clone effect".

However WAR needs a much better variety of stuff if this is going to be really worth mentioning...I mean yay...you can switch between invader or sentiel for example...not exactly a big draw...

They are going to need to add a lot more vanity and armor variety if they want this to really take off.

Also, they need more trophies...a lot more trophies.

...and while we are at it...revamp that entire T4 experience...forget the appearence stuff for now...

They should wipe out the entire "tier world", make an open world map based on the actual game world map not cobbled together linear zones (WTF were they thinking? They had 20 or 30 years of GW material to draw on and they made this?), with capturable castles and fortresses on it, capturable resource areas, add a real crafting system, make each race it's own faction like the actual game LORE, re-scatter around the PQ's and dungeons and re-launch it again. Oh..and add in a proper "unit battle system" on the strategic level not shooter maps. I'll play an FPS for shooter style maps.

• scratch250scratch250 Member Posts: 17

they just need that third faction!! :P i would be so freakin awesome :D i was in the beta too and love the game but it really need that ekstra! :/ hope they "fix it"

• GreenLanternFanGreenLanternFan Member Posts: 374

Originally posted by Korithian

It's just a matter of time...

Your fail comment, failed.

• SidereusSidereus Member Posts: 316

I liked to new armors...old ones were ugly as hell

QUESTION:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xridnasa:
    -
    What's a "grocery store"? Is that like McDonald's?
    -
    ANSWER:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sidimazz:
    -
    Kind of, just without the rapist.

• AndarreusAndarreus Member UncommonPosts: 33

lol the new armor images look like they just set the graphic up high on one computer and lower on the other computer.

Originally posted by arustyrobot

lol the new armor images look like they just set the graphic up high on one computer and lower on the other computer.

Now, now! You don't think Mythic would do something like that, do you?

;)

• GreenWidowGreenWidow Member Posts: 157

Warhammer is one of my favorite IP's in existence.  I am not sure Mythic could do anything to make up for the travesty they created based on this IP.

This game could have been an MMO I would have enjoyed for decades literally.

They made a bad cartoon joke.

Too much to complain about, nothing to compliment. 

I hope they go bankrupt and another company gets the IP and starts over with an actual Warhammer game.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”The Iron Code"

• WhiteknightWhiteknight Member Posts: 82

I find this to be an interesting development for the game, though one that's probably far too late. When the game was first in development it's the low poly armor and characters that really drew me away from the game, though I did find the gameplay interesting and worth checking out further. So this does make trying out the game a bit more tempting as well. Though I am curious what they actually mean, are these higher resolution armors still going to be implemented? And in what capacity? Only for certain armors? If you can afford it? Some more information would be appreciated.

It's a good day to beleive

• Arch_RoyalArch_Royal Member Posts: 12

so they replace the cool looking bg invader chest with the crappy conq chest... least i can use the sent chest graphic since its the only cool one now.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Yeah, I actually do remember them saying that.  I can vaguely remember reading something like orks would grow in size and dwarves would have longer beards. 

Ah, Mythic.  Hyping up things that do not get delivered.

• SauronasSauronas Member Posts: 183

Originally posted by TheHavok

Yeah, I actually do remember them saying that.  I can vaguely remember reading something like orks would grow in size and dwarves would have longer beards. 

Ah, Mythic.  Hyping up things that do not get delivered.

Choppas and Slayers grow in size :P  Seriously though,  I highly doubt any of you war haters have actually played the game in the last 8 months.  There's a hand full of people on these forums that are just anti-mmo and can't move on with their lives.  You're like the Tea Party....

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I don't just tiny bugfixes and changes of looks in the game, I want at least the announcement of a huge content patch or something. :|

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Appearence items are great and all, and every mmo should have them, but really, wheres our non empire/chaos cities already?

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• SauronasSauronas Member Posts: 183

Originally posted by warmaster670

Appearence items are great and all, and every mmo should have them, but really, wheres our non empire/chaos cities already?

Name one that exists in the Warhammer world.  Possibly Mordheim.  I can understand why WAR wouldn't appeal to people that don't know the 30 year old Warhammer lore but they can't just make stuff up.  War was made for warhammer fans and potential warhammer fans.  If you thought it was a wow killer or a new daoc you're barking up the wrong tree.