Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you want the bad news first or the bad news?

safetysafety Member Posts: 219

Apparently the SOE Developer Matt Boudreaux, known as AdeptStrain, has left the team working on SWG.

He was the developer responsible for the 'new jedi system', the melee animations and, of course, the craptcular addition of zombie-stormtroopers into the game.

By any conventional standards, this would make him an instant 'shoot on sight'. However, to give him his pitifully small due, he seems to have been the last SWG Developer who was actually adding anything to the game - the rest seem to have been dedicated to, well, nothing really. Maintainance, maybe? Who can tell?

It is reported by massively.com that his role at SWG will not be filled by anyone else.

So that, ladies and gentlemen, is a strong implication that SOE is definitely winding-down SWG, putting it into mothballs until final closure... when? It can't be too far off.

All in all, that is bad news because it means that SOE and LA have finally washed their hands of SWG - and that it has no future in any shape or form, certainly not a pre-CU version.

And now here's the second bit of bad news - you remember SOE Developer Matt Boudreaux, known as AdeptStrain? The kid who gave us 'new jedi', zombie-stomtroppers etc? Guess where he's ended up?

That's right. He's just been signed on by Bioware to work on the SWTOR project.

You know, I begin to wonder if Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is going to be a hundred percent successful...

http://www.massively.com/2010/06/04/a-favored-swg-developer-moves-to-swtor/http://www.massively.com/2010/06/04/a-favored-swg-developer-moves-to-swtor/

Comments

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284

In all fairness, he did not invent the zombies. A lolzy EU novelist did that. That's the EU for you: some good ideas, and tons of fanwanks and WTFs. EU is a very mixed bag.

BTW, this dev also implemented the appearance items option into the game. I'd say his impact on the game was a positive one. The zombies are the singular exception, but he was probably told to do that as a tie in for the novel by higher-ups.

• EchobeEchobe Member Posts: 262

If/when they finally shut off SWG, maybe the code will be easier to get ahold of for the unmentionables. They provide a valuable service.

• safetysafety Member Posts: 219

Originally posted by Echobe

If/when they finally shut off SWG, maybe the code will be easier to get ahold of for the unmentionables. They provide a valuable service.

I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that the moment 'the valuable service' became generally playable, whatever Smedley has said in the past, SOE and LA would send round their lawyers immediately not only to enforce a 'cease and desist' order but also to claim some horrendous amount in damages for some made-up civil offence. I'd bet my house on that.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I'm sure that SOE will be focusing on the soon to be released Clone Wars MMO. Free realms and Star Wars all in one....cha ..f@cking CHING!!!

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    so.........................what your saying is SWTOR isnt going to be the sandbox you thought it was going to be?
  • IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Hurah, maybe they can finally put this trash to rest and we can all forget this game ever happened.

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

Originally posted by safety

Originally posted by Echobe

I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that the moment 'the valuable service' became generally playable, whatever Smedley has said in the past, SOE and LA would send round their lawyers immediately not only to enforce a 'cease and desist' order but also to claim some horrendous amount in damages for some made-up civil offence. I'd bet my house on that.

You would probably win that bet, only because they would be in a long line of companies that have "sent round their lawyers...".

However, them sending out their lawyers would spell doom for the handful of unmentionables that gets shut down.  If one knew whereabouts to look they would find unmentionable valuable services being offered for nearly every mmo out there that isn't f2p.  WoW, Lineage 2, Ultima Online are a couple being offered from what I remember last time I looked into it.  oooo wonder if there is an aion one lol

• safetysafety Member Posts: 219

Originally posted by aleos

so.........................what your saying is SWTOR isnt going to be the sandbox you thought it was going to be?

I think every sane person knew SWTOR wasn't going to be a sandbox way back in 2009 when Gordon Walton introduced the EA. LA and Bioware team behind the project and the first speaker was Dallas Dickinson who announced that the game was going to be the 'iconic, star-warsy experience' for which the world had apparently been waiting.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Well, who wouldn't want the iconic, movielike Star Wars experience?

Would you rather have the " I'm a regular guy living on a faraway planet where nothing ever happens and nothing will, and it could have been any scifi like MMO" experience?

Be my guest, but not me. I want the genuine look & feel of the Star Wars movies when I play a Star Wars MMO. That means recognizable Star Wars archetypes, Jedi and Sith fights, recognizable planets and immersive gameplay and combat that with the storylines and fighting and traveling its worlds can give that Star Wars vibe.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

I think every sane person knew SWTOR wasn't going to be a sandbox way back in 2009 when Gordon Walton introduced the EA. LA and Bioware team behind the project and the first speaker was Dallas Dickinson who announced that the game was going to be the 'iconic, star-warsy experience' for which the world had apparently been waiting.

So..............................then there is no bad news. just news all the same.
  • CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Wasn't there a huge game update to SWG in late April? Even going so far as to add space content for the first time since space launched years ago?

Why do people act like SWG hasnt had any work done on it in years?

I don't understand. I mean, I realize people hate the game and want it to go away because people are irrationally vindictive by nature, but whats the reason for completely untrue angles?

Eh, whatever.

SWG, even in its current incarnation, still offers more freedom in the Real Star Wars timeline, than SW:TOR ever will. People will see that someday soon.

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Wasn't there a huge game update to SWG in late April? Even going so far as to add space content for the first time since space launched years ago?

I don't understand. I mean, I realize people hate the game and want it to go away because people are irrationally vindictive by nature, but whats the reason for completely untrue angles?

Eh, whatever.

SWG, even in its current incarnation, still offers more freedom in the Real Star Wars timeline, than SW:TOR ever will. People will see that someday soon.

people hate this game who cares. If you weren't there then no one really cares if you don't understand or not either. no one can possibly explain it to you. So you don't understand why people hate SWG well i don't understand how people can slam games with pure speculation as if they are right.

Eh, whatever.

people hate this game who cares. If you weren't there then no one really cares if you don't understand or not either. no one can possibly explain it to you. So you don't understand why people hate SWG well i don't understand how people can slam games with pure speculation as if they are right.

I played Star Wars Galaxies since it launched. And you clearly have little ability to understand what someone is writing.

I full well understand why people hate SWG. I DON'T understand why people act like the game has been stagnant for eons.

And as for my "speculations" about SW:TOR, they're based on the simple fact that every Bioware game (Aside from different graphics) is exactly the same. Period.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I played Star Wars Galaxies since it launched.

Were you on intrepid? I remember a PA where all the members had anime names like Vash, etc, with AoA at the end.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

Originally posted by GTwander

I played Star Wars Galaxies since it launched.

Were you on intrepid? I remember a PA where all the members had anime names like Vash, etc, with AoA at the end.

Yes, I was on Intrepid. I don't remember if I used an "AoA" at the end, but I might've.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by smugglapro

Eh, whatever.

For that, and other things that have been listed in full on this forum before, I hope they all die in a fire.

Sounds like you need to see a therapist, bad.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• smugglaprosmugglapro Member UncommonPosts: 47

Nah.  I can hope.  That's legal.

MAKING IT HAPPEN, however, that's bad. 

Yes, I have anger issues.  They taste like chocolate bunnies. :P

Yes, I have anger issues. They taste like chocolate bunnies.

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

Let the game die, become abandonware so players can have a crack at it and fix what SOE has been messing up for ages now. Honestly not anything left to point out or say. SOE has been going down the slope for ages now and making there own grave. Real question is, how deep do they plan to make it when it comes to SWG?

With all that said. Give me back my god damn ep4-6 world. I wanna feel like I'm living in SW with none of these retarded pvp infested morons who only care about being a glow bat wielding retard Stormie zombie.

Personally this game turned into the biggest insult to Joseph Campbell's work The Hero With The Thousand Faces. Lucas "creative inspiration" is just an insult to the once world leading mythologist. For shame.

Honestly, all I can say now is awesome. Let the biggest turd made by LA and SOE finally go down the toilet. Been stinking and festering long enough. Sum this all up.

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• smugglaprosmugglapro Member UncommonPosts: 47

Originally posted by Erstok I wanna feel like I'm living in SW with none of these retarded pvp infested morons who only care about being a glow bat wielding retard Stormie zombie.

Heh, like they wouldn't just become combat medics with poison that can go through solid walls, or TKAs that can charge a ranged character from 100yards directly in front of you and and live to stomp a mud hole in you, or riflemen that do unique damage that can only be healed by going to an AFK grinding center (ie: cantina), or any sort of crafter that see to it that you're ill-prepared to deal with combat because you're broke from buffs, armor, weapons, etc that aren't bottom-of-the-barrel crap that'll break if you use it to scratch an itch on your ass, or...if you're special and a pistoleer...being killed almost instantly by ANYONE OR THING IN THE ENTIRE GAME.

Living in SW?  More like "developing a case of justifiable suicide" in SW.  :P

Yes, I have anger issues. They taste like chocolate bunnies.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Apparently the SOE Developer Matt Boudreaux, known as AdeptStrain, has left the team working on SWG.

He was the developer responsible for the 'new jedi system', the melee animations and, of course, the craptcular addition of zombie-stormtroopers into the game.

By any conventional standards, this would make him an instant 'shoot on sight'. However, to give him his pitifully small due, he seems to have been the last SWG Developer who was actually adding anything to the game - the rest seem to have been dedicated to, well, nothing really. Maintainance, maybe? Who can tell?

It is reported by massively.com that his role at SWG will not be filled by anyone else.

So that, ladies and gentlemen, is a strong implication that SOE is definitely winding-down SWG, putting it into mothballs until final closure... when? It can't be too far off.

All in all, that is bad news because it means that SOE and LA have finally washed their hands of SWG - and that it has no future in any shape or form, certainly not a pre-CU version.

And now here's the second bit of bad news - you remember SOE Developer Matt Boudreaux, known as AdeptStrain? The kid who gave us 'new jedi', zombie-stomtroppers etc? Guess where he's ended up?

That's right. He's just been signed on by Bioware to work on the SWTOR project.

You know, I begin to wonder if Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is going to be a hundred percent successful...

http://www.massively.com/2010/06/04/a-favored-swg-developer-moves-to-swtor/http://www.massively.com/2010/06/04/a-favored-swg-developer-moves-to-swtor/

Adepstrain was one of the few real coders left at SWG. Appearance tab, ingame webbrowser and storyteller system kind of stuff has been coded by him. Also several new user interface windows are done by him. Adepstrain also worked on tools for the other devs to work with to create new content.

He didnt just work on the things you list. He also wasnt responsible for chosing Deathtrooper content to be added. I think that was when Dotanuki had the lead or Blixtev.

You are flaming the wrong dev :/ He was a coder, not a decision maker for SWG.

This also doesnt say anything about the direction that SW:TOR will go in. That has been set long before Adepstrain was even in the picture of that company. He will be just one of the many coders there.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by someforumguy

Adepstrain was one of the few real coders left at SWG. Appearance tab, ingame webbrowser and storyteller system kind of stuff has been coded by him. Also several new user interface windows are done by him. Adepstrain also worked on tools for the other devs to work with to create new content.

He didnt just work on the things you list. He also wasnt responsible for chosing Deathtrooper content to be added. I think that was when Dotanuki had the lead or Blixtev.

You are flaming the wrong dev :/ He was a coder, not a decision maker for SWG.

This also doesnt say anything about the direction that SW:TOR will go in. That has been set long before Adepstrain was even in the picture of that company. He will be just one of the many coders there.

QFFE!!!

Adept was the BEST Developer that game has ever had! He will never be "just another Dev" IMO.

Dotanuki is the douchebag that gave us pink flying Ewoks with purple hearts, fairy wings, and flipping zombies...not Adept.

Adept leaving the game will have a HUGE impact because he was one of the few (only?!) Devs that actually listened to the players, interacted with the players, worked on his OWN time to fill player requests (A-Tab was a side/home project of HIS) and gave the players what they asked for...not to even mention that with him went the one guy who knew how the SWG engine worked. Add the transparent overhead map to his list of valuable additions.

Adept going to Bioware is anything but negative...unless you're a SWG fan...Bioware got the best Developer SoE will ever have, if not the best in the industry. It's great news for anyone waiting for SWTOR and a brilliant move for him where he goes from a game with maybe 10k subs to one with the potential to have over a million.

SWTOR fans rejoice. SWG fans, prepare for the end.

Eh, whatever.

I played Star Wars Galaxies since it launched. And you clearly have little ability to understand what someone is writing.

I full well understand why people hate SWG. I DON'T understand why people act like the game has been stagnant for eons.

And as for my "speculations" about SW:TOR, they're based on the simple fact that every Bioware game (Aside from different graphics) is exactly the same. Period.

I comprehend quite well usually. But the point you're trying to make came out of left field. No one was even talking about if the game was stagnant or how far its even come since NGE. So no one is acting like the game is stagnant they just simply don't give a shit. Sure we all know that there's been some addons here and there but no one cares. You threw up a wall of defense in an area that wasn't under attack. Hell even the matrix online was still popping out episodes before it was shut down.

In the sense of you saying that every game by bioware is no different than the last one is just not true. and no previous bioware game is an mmorpg. Sure we will see lists of dialog to choose from, a story, and whatever the hell else. Doesn't mean it'll be the same game you've played 100 times before.

Eh, whatever.

Well, first off, schmucktard, most of us don't hate the game...we hate SOE and it's practices in regards to us and that game.

Secondy, all that freedom you so dearly clutch to?  You can keep it.  It sucked ass in it's previous forms, and hanging a new UI, core system, and a ton of bullshit nobody wanted doesn't change that. 

I'm an old tabletop RPer.  Therefore, making my own fun in a world supplied to me by others isn't strange to me.  However, asking me to pay a monthly fee to do so while a those asking do little to actually EARN that money while shoving their heads up their asses doesn't smack of "fun" to me.

Asking me to do so when they've lied to me since beta is another.  They spent the entire time prior to the NGE lying to a significant portion of their consumer base.

For that, and other things that have been listed in full on this forum before, I hope they all die in a fire.

This guy got out when he could.  Bravo.  I, for one, congratulate him and wish him well with BioWare.  Sometimes, we can't chose the toilet we crap in.

Everything you said has gone unread the second that you stooped to childish name-calling.

Congratulations, you have no idea how to be a mature adult and hold a mature adult conversation.

Jog off.

• magnutsmagnuts Member UncommonPosts: 79

They should go F2P, like Dungeon and Dragons Online, and Lord of the Rings Online.

• jotulljotull Member Posts: 256

See this was the scary attitude that was being discussed over at companyofthewolf.org last week, natuarlly the owners of that blog got lambasted, but they are right..there are some whackjobs out there and one day one of these twisted people are going to do more than just talk.