Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another huge blow has been dealt to TOR

Comments

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Except for the names of the game and company involved, the defenses offered here are little different than I have seen for half a dozen recent releases. This could honestly be the STO forum of 8 months ago, frankly.

Well since you seem to think Bioware owes you and only you something, why don't you go ahead and list what for you would make a great mmo, one that wouldn't suck in your eyes. Please be detailed as i would love to compare it to what Bioware has released as fact about TOR.

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

Originally posted by heerobya

When you resort to invoking faith, you`re running out of arguments. Faith has been shown to be misplaced with many recent releases.

At least I try using arguments rather then just trolling and adding NOTHING to the debate but misinformation and dissent for the sake of dissent.

Saying "SW:ToR will suck because I say it will suck" does nothing.

I have never made a post like that, so I guess you are talking to someone else. In that case, you shouldn`t have quoted me.

I have seen ``SWTOR will be good because I have faith in BioWare`posts, though.

Saying "SW:ToR will have playable races beyond just humans because.... and then showing evidence to support one's position adds to the discussion by eliminating misinformation. 

You see, red or green or blue skinned humans don`t count as alien, unless it`s the original series of Star Trek. WIth all the amazing lifeforms the IP has shown us, resorting to this is an insult.

So what races would have to be playable for it to count as being "alien" to you?  They're all going to be bipedal, like every other RPG ever made.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Since it has already been confirmed there are aliens which are playable and the first alien has already been revealed and this guide dated back to November.

I think it's safe to say you are wrong.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Rodian - humans with green skin, sucker hands, antennae, bug eyes.

Wookie - big humans with lots of hair.

Mon Calamari - humans with fish faces and webbed hands

Twi-lek - humans with pointy teeth and brain tails

Bothan - humans with dog faces and fur

I could go on...

How are those any different then:

Humans with blue skin and red eyes (Thrawn)

bald humans with Grey skin (whatever they race they did announce was called)

etc.

99% of sci-fi alien races are "humans with extra bits or different colors" at least VISUALLY

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by Darth_Osor

So what races would have to be playable for it to count as being "alien" to you?  They're all going to be bipedal, like every other RPG ever made.

Wookiees, for one, for sure. I`m not sure of the names of the others. There were a bunch of clearly non-human Jedi in the big arena scene in Àttack of the Clones. Some of those. Whatever Darth Maul was. Whatever Yoda was.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Wookiees, for one, for sure. I`m not sure of the names of the others. There were a bunch of clearly non-human Jedi in the big arena scene in Àttack of the Clones. Some of those. Whatever Darth Maul was. Whatever Yoda was.

Wookies very rarely left their home world of Kashyyk or however it's spelled unless they were slaves or (like Chewie) owed a life debt to a non-wookie.

Darth Maul was a humanoid with a couple extra spikes on his head and some tattoos. not very alien.

All the non-human Jedi in AotC and other prequel trilogy movies are all just "humans with extra bits or different colors" visually and as such not very "alien" either.

Yoda.. i actually don't know what race he's suppose to be but they'd NEVER let players be like Yoda or that's all you'd have on the server.

Also, many races (like wookies) would NEVER join the Sith unless they were slaves and are incapable of being Jedi I believe or so rarely develop talents for the force...

If you had wookies you'd have republic smugglers and troopers as wookies... and even that wouldn't make too much sense as (see above) wookies generally don't leave their world

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

Originally posted by heerobya

Rodian - humans with green skin, sucker hands, antennae, bug eyes.

Wookie - big humans with fur.

Mon Calamari - humans with fish faces and webbed hands

Twi-lek - humans with pointy teeth and brain tails

Bothan - humans with dog faces and fur

I could go on...

How are those any different then:

Humans with blue skin and red eyes (Thrawn)

bald humans with Grey skin (whatever they race they did announce was called)

etc.

99% of sci-fi alien races are "humans with extra bits or different colors"

Doesn't matter, this isn't even the definition of alien, every one of those species we call alien would refer to you just the same.

Earth is your home, if something that lives on mars visits earth it's an alien and vice versa.

Species on the other hand is totally different, what you listed are species. Now does ToR have other species, yes. Does appearance decide if they're alien or not, no.

• Though clearly, the thread contains misinformation, I'm amazed by the attitude some people show here.

If one negative word is said about STOR, you are a troll, hater, or should just go away. And people say those with that kind of mentality will make a good community? Instead of relying on facts, people are attacked and should "just stay away" to "not ruin the community"?

Although I am interested in STOR, I do have some things I don't like about it (judging from the few pieces of information we have so far).

But a bit of negativity is allowed, considering the series of bad releases we saw so far. I don't know enough yet to say if STOR will be amazing or another disaster, but people should be allowed to voice their opinions. So please let me (and others) also mention what we think COULD (I'm stressing the could) ruin STOR for us (as in personal preferences).

If STOR is really good, it will stand above that criticism and the release will nullify all the negativity. I'm really sick of seeing everyone who just dares to voice concern over something getting attacked by fans.

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

Wookiees might be out as PCs for several reasons...gear limitations and a 100 hours of "RAWR" subtitled dialog being the big two.

Darth Maul was a Zabrak or Iridonian.  Forgive me, but I get the feeling if they were the only other announced race besides humans, you would dismiss them as "humans with horns".

Yoda's race will not be playable because of a decree from GL.  Some of the other races like Togruta, Nautolans, and Twileks *probably* will be playable.  These races could be dismissed as "humans with head tentacles", etc.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Didn't you just get done saying that you wanted the game to be true to star wars?  I'm not a star wars fan but I know some things about the timeline.   Yodas species if very rare, seeing tons of those would not follow the star wars world.

Mike summed up why wookies wouldn't work here, not to mention they didn't leave their home world very often.

You can't want them just to want them and then turn around and say that games that don't follow the IP will fail.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

There is no possible way that only humans are a playable race. This is not some cheap asian f2p game.

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Didn't you just get done saying that you wanted the game to be true to star wars?  I'm not a star wars fan but I know some things about the timeline.   Yodas species if very rare, seeing tons of those would not follow the star wars world.

Fine.

Mike summed up why wookies wouldn't work here, not to mention they didn't leave their home world very often.

Tell it to Chewbacca.

You can't want them just to want them and then turn around and say that games that don't follow the IP will fail.

Stop putting words in my mouth. I have never said this game will fail. Not financially, at least. Others have. Not me.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

Originally posted by brostyn

There is no possible way that only humans are a playable race. This is not some cheap asian f2p game.

What about blue Humans, red humans, and green humans?

A green Human is not a human... Unless it's one affected by a severe case of sea-sickness (usually shades of grey and pink are more common in that case though, believe me); or one who has been fermenting for some time.

A blue Human is usually dead, depending on the shade of blue though.

Red humans have spend a bit too many hours in the sun, or are dead.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Fine.

Tell it to Chewbacca.

Stop putting words in my mouth. I have never said this game will fail. Not financially, at least. Others have. Not me.

I didn't say you said that exactly, that was paraphrasing an interpretation.  You said that we have to have to be true to the IP, but we can't be true to the IP by having races and then not be true to the IP by making those races do something that those races wouldn't do.

I'm not a star wars expert, and personally I don't care if there are wookie jedi's  ... but there are plenty of others that feel otherwise.

I didn't say you said that exactly, that was paraphrasing an interpretation.

Weasel words, dude.

You said that we have to have to be true to the IP, but we can't be true to the IP by having races and then not be true to the IP by making those races do something that those races wouldn't do.

I'm not a star wars expert, and personally I don't care if there are wookie jedi's  ... but there are plenty of others that feel otherwise.

Chewbacca was a smuggler.

Every race doesn`t have to have every class available.

BTW, you said you weren`t a SW fan. Interesting that people defending this design seem to share that viewpoint.

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

This is a ridicilous thread. Who ever thinks TOR will only have humans, the kind you see in the mirror every morning just doesn't get what Star Wars is all about. SW is about many humaniod species not alien races.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Fine.

Tell it to Chewbacca.

I didn't say you said that exactly, that was paraphrasing an interpretation.  You said that we have to have to be true to the IP, but we can't be true to the IP by having races and then not be true to the IP by making those races do something that those races wouldn't do.

Wookiee Jedi sounds like something someone would really crusade for.

"I want to be a mother ****in' WOOKIEE JEDI and there's no ****in' thing you can ****in' say that will change my ****in' mind, because it's a ****IN' WOOKIEE JEDI *****! *Insert Chewbacca's famous roar here*!"

Yeah.... no. It just doesn't seem that crazy to me for someone to really feel that way, y'know?

Getting a bit sad now.

Rattataki are from another planet, all born with the same features. Bald, chalky white skin.

Key words - Another Planet, all have same features.

Species

Defect

You're upsetting blue man.

I didn't say you said that exactly, that was paraphrasing an interpretation.

Weasel words, dude.

You said that we have to have to be true to the IP, but we can't be true to the IP by having races and then not be true to the IP by making those races do something that those races wouldn't do.

Chewbacca was a smuggler. 

Chewbacca was the companion of a smuggler first and foremost.

Every race doesn`t have to have every class available.

They don't leave their homeworld often, every race does need to wear armor and speak basic.

BTW, you said you weren`t a SW fan. Interesting that people defending this design seem to share that viewpoint.

He said: "Not an SW expert".

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Greed, two comments:

1) Rattataki do look very humanoid, which is why people are scoffing at the idea they're "aliens." In reality, 95% of Star Wars aliens are at least vaguely humanoid, so there's a big pool BioWare can still choose from. I guess it needs tentacles and horns and wins and claws and pincers and antennae and tails and helicopter hats and piercings and tattoos and multiple heads and multiple arms and everything else inbetween before it's an "alien." Pfft.

2) The blue man looks like my high school Oceanography teacher, except, well, he's not blue. That's damn scary, though.

Originally posted by Comnitus

Greed, two comments:

1) Rattataki do look very humanoid, which is why people are scoffing at the idea they're "aliens." In reality, 95% of Star Wars aliens are at least vaguely humanoid, so there's a big pool BioWare can still choose from.

2) The blue man looks like my high school Oceanography teacher, except, well, he's not blue. That's damn scary, though.

Alien - a form of life assumed to exist outside the Earth or its atmosphere

This is from our perspective, therefore we use "earth". Rattataki are not from earth. If you decide to play a Rattataki, humans are now the aliens.

Species is totally different

Rattataki is near human, Rattataki was born on Rattatak (not earth).

blue man is human, blue man was born on earth (I can't prove this).

Star Wars doesn't explain where humans came from. Most believe coruscant. That's irrelevant, the definition of alien holds truth. This all relates to where your home is.

Edit: Source on the Blue  Man if you're interested - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq8C0GknwAM

• DritheDrithe Member UncommonPosts: 55

Be careful of Blueman's power ...........   IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!

End of Line.

Originally posted by Drithe

Be careful of Blueman's power ...........   IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!

End of Line.

Tree Man Vs Blue man, go.

• MMOrUSMMOrUS Member Posts: 414

Originally posted by jiveturkey12

Well if the leaked guide is true, which it seems pretty legit...

No Races besides human in TOR.

Which in my opinion is just completely unacceptable. That was a fan want and need that seemed like a joke to not include a year ago.

Now people have just started to accept it going "O well they will add them in later" or "Who cares, id rather see more models for humans anyways."

The truth is, not having multiple races to choose from isnt going to help the game out in any way, its just plain lazy, thats all there is too it. But then again everything that has been coming from the TOR camp lately has seemed lazy, companions all being the same, talent tree style "Sub classes" (yea right!), not to mention no space to date or anything that even seems remotely star Wars like.

I mean thats what kills it for me, they keep saying all this stuff about how "Heroic" the game is going to be, but to be heroic do you really have to remove every race that wasnt a main character, and every class or proffesion that wasnt shown in gross detail in the movies?

Also just so you know, if the leaked guide is said to be fake or whatever, I still stand by all my comments, the leaked guide only made me speak out, it didnt determine every conclusion i have made.

Yet another poster making a shallow decision, and this time based on some "Leaked" info.

So what if there will be only humans come release, speaking from experience I have found the multitude of different races to choose from nothing but eye candy, they tend not to offer any real differences other than the look, and if all your concerned about is looking different well this obviously won't be the game for you.

I will certainly not base my opinion on the game on your post or any other shallow posters who only care about the eyecandy, graphics do not make a game, they help but they do not make a game, look at WoW for instance, many would say it's cartoony graphics are terrible, yet it's simple gameplay has over 11 million subs playing, goes to prove that graphics ain't everything.

So thats another free spot on the server, though I suspect that these ppl who claim all these "Game breakers" will actually still buy and play the game, just looking for a little drama.