Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Ragnar Tornquist Answers Community Questions, Part Two

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Part two of the three part community Q&A series with Funcom's Ragnar Tornquist is now available on the official The Secret World forums.

An interesting question from TSW community member Sambase asks Ragnar if the PvP-focused underworld of Agartha would consist simply of caves:

Q1: Will Agartha be a variety of environments or purely subterranean caves? (Samsbase)

Agartha will be something very surprising and fresh and different - inspired by the myths, built on plenty of research into hidden tomes and forgotten lore, and recreated in a way that's going to be intriguing both from a gameplay point of view and from a purely aesthetic point of view. We will, in essence, open the gates to one of the world's strangest, most arcane and most enduring mysteries. But the true nature of Agartha won't be revealed even at launch: we have much, much more in store.

The remaining questions run the gamut of topics, ranging from PvP to how skills are acquired, and even on the importance of traditional class roles when teaming. Read the full Q&A here.

[Thanks Piasek for the tip!]

Comments

• SebaliSebali Member UncommonPosts: 395

so...no real crafting?

sad

• Padre-AdamoPadre-Adamo Member Posts: 61

Finally. Sick and tired of crafting. You want crafting, go play Fallen Earth or Eve.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I'm not bummed about no crafting, but above poster needs to deal. Very few games have it as a necessity, while the vast majority just have it for looks. I say it's fine in this case, but only because there's no real complimentary use for it. You gonna make your own body armor and guns? Crafting falls short in a contemporary setting, at least for the most part.

Besides, the interview says;

There will be crafting - or something similar - but we haven't revealed any details yet.

~that could mean modding your guns/armor or something similar.

The thing I think might be a mistake is "mystical tattoos with stats". Who honestly played Fable and gravitated to a tattoo they like, instead of one with a bigger buff? I did, but I sure as hell won't with competitive PvP in mind. I hope they are not trying to mix spec and aesthetic in a bad way here.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Originally posted by Padre-Adamo

Finally. Sick and tired of crafting. You want crafting, go play Fallen Earth or Eve.

Every generation of games has been about making games more immersive and realistic on some level. Crafting is an important part of that because without it, you might as well be logging into a deathmatch, single-player, console game. If you don't like the immersion mmo's try to create, don't play mmo's. 

No society whether virtual or real would survive without crafted items of some sort. Otherwise we would all still be cave-men carrying tree limbs for clubs and certainly not have something as inventive as the internet, nevermind having an mmo to play.

• where is all this theres no crafting comming from?

Q5: Is there going to be crafting in TSW and how will it work? (Liliane)

There will be crafting - or something similar - but we haven't revealed any details yet.

That tells us there will be crafting. Sure they tacked on the or something similar, but still, it will be crafting. They might just call it something different like in FFXI we Synth, not craft :P

• okorokor Member Posts: 103

Achievements kind of disappoint me, I hate them as a mechanic in MMOs.

• KillSwitch69KillSwitch69 Member UncommonPosts: 36

City of Heroes/Villains didn't have crafting for the longest. It was still an enjoyable game nonetheless and wasn't deemed a neccessity.

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Crafting makes little sense in a modern setting.

Your average modern day human's only real skillset is bitching on the internet. They can't even sew rips in their designer pre-ripped jeans, let alone "craft" their own weapons and ammunition.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

I can do all those things.

• XianthosXianthos Member Posts: 723

Originally posted by okor

Achievements kind of disappoint me, I hate them as a mechanic in MMOs.

Isnt that bad. For instance in FallenEarth you can give a shit on them. It depends on game and design if it will be used as e-pen comparing tool.

EvE doors

See the best doors on EvE-on!

• GomoddedGomodded Member Posts: 8

Ah, Longest Journey-man. Good choice for a game director, Tornquist.

Only he needs to hurry, I want to hunt zombies and deep see creatures and giant squids and Bigfoot and all the other freaky stuff. Plus the chainsaw is gettin restless!

Who said there's no crafting? Didn't read that in his answers.

Why would there be no crafting possible, I want to make runes to stick on my weapons, and holy water ammunition, and spirit traps. Enough options for good old crafting.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Originally posted by pathiean

where is all this theres no crafting comming from?

Q5: Is there going to be crafting in TSW and how will it work? (Liliane)

That tells us there will be crafting. Sure they tacked on the or something similar, but still, it will be crafting. They might just call it something different like in FFXI we Synth, not craft :P

No that simply tells us that they haven't actually implemented crafting into the game they are developing, but that they have some non-coded concepts. Really, if you want my opinion, and after AoC, Funcom are best to steer clear of crafting unless they have well-though out and clear plans for it in a game from the outset. In AoC some of the crafting skills were broken on launch and you couldn't retrain...then some of the crafting skills were overpowered and better than all the tier sets they had on release...and finally Funcom realised their crafted armour was overpowered on launch so they nerfed it into near oblivion.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

Your average modern day human's only real skillset is bitching on the internet. They can't even sew rips in their designer pre-ripped jeans, let alone "craft" their own weapons and ammunition.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

THIS was one of the first things I read with my morning coffee!  O M G....great wake up, thank you! =D

edit: While this reply was hysterical and made me laugh....I still have to admit that I love crafting. However...in the game setting we're looking at here, there are probably new and innovative ways to give players "extra-curricular" activities"like" crafting that are NOT your traditional crafting. I don't know. I'm not going to mark the game off my list of anticipated games just because I love crafting and there may not BE any...or the KIND I'm used to...or whatever. I'm too huge of a fan of Ragnar's to write it off for any reason before I play it, for sure. Of all game creators, THIS one, in my opinion, certainly deserves a chance. Just to experience a story told by Tournquist...is reason enough for me to play this once it's out. Determining whether it's a "good game," is a LONG way off for me. But if I were a rich person....it's probably something I'd invest in. I believe in the man that much. :)

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258

Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

This.