Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best MMORPG end-game-content of all time! (vote)

Comments

• laglotuslaglotus Member Posts: 43

SWG pre-cu or UO. Both games had something that I haven't found in any of the newer mmo's.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by laglotus

SWG pre-cu or UO. Both games had something that I haven't found in any of the newer mmo's.

Originality is the word you're looking for here.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

Originality is the word you're looking for here.

True. It's kinda funny that those older mmo's had housing, meaningful crafting, were more social etc, and newer games seem to be much more simplistic.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Originally posted by Garvon3

But all the people picking junk like WoW and EQ and AoC aren't being objective at all about this. 

Seriously? Raids? That's it? WoW and EQ are one dimensional games with only one thing to do at the end of the game. DAoC had a robust crafting economy, as well as an extensive raiding system, AND RvR. There is no better end game content. 

I agree with this. People seem to equate raiding as the sole end game activity. As far as what game do I think had the best end game? Well Guild Wars has kept me entertained the longest so I guess I'll go with that. But really it's purely subjective as there is no "best" end game, the best is what each person prefers for the end game.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

SWG pre-cu

It's a very hard question to answer for me. In the end I went with the game that that had an 'end-game' that kept me playing the longest, who knows I may have still been playing it if it was around. Other than SWG I would have had to say Planetside, but that's not really an and game but it has kept me playing the longest.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• LaviticusLaviticus Member Posts: 33

You dont have to raid on EQ and WoW it's your choice you can do other things and technically why call it end-game? The game doesn't end.

Laviticus.

Originally posted by Laviticus

You dont have to raid on EQ and WoW it's your choice you can do other things and technically why call it end-game? The game doesn't end.

Not sure about EQ but right now in WoW all there is raiding at the end. It really is a raid or die game. PVP has practically been ignored, perhaps their new expansion will change that.

Please tell me what you can do in WoW beside grind for pvp gear or pve gear?

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Bounce around the AH?

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• Eve929Eve929 Member Posts: 2

DAoC

Originally posted by mrw0lf

Bounce around the AH?

I used to ride on my horse 100 times around the center of Dalaran.

• ryuga81ryuga81 Member UncommonPosts: 351

Eve Online

You don't really *have to* create a guided end-game to make it fun and entertaining. Just give the right tools to the players, and they'll make their own end-game themselves.

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

I would have to say EQ2 and WOW.  So far no other game has come close to end game content as those did for me.  Also EQ and AC come close to.

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

eve

endgame starts about 1 hour after you know how to use a ship

the rest is isk grinding to replace what you loose

politics to give you access to regions without getting a KOS from the locals

ressource management to have a steady supply of ships for your alliance/corporation

transportation of goods from central market to home base

• DaywolfDaywolf Member Posts: 749

Ok we are in the home stretch. I'll post finals tomorrow. About 24 hours left to vote. Thanks to those that have participated so far. Only a few votes left uncounted, for not even vaguely following the format request hehe

About 80 votes recorded thus far:

UO 7

FFXI 7

WoW 3

DAoC 13

EVE 18

SWG 7

Aion 1

AoC 1

AC1 4

EQ2 5

Shadowbane 2

EQ1 10

Guild Wars 1

CoH 1

M59, UO, EQ1, WWIIOL, PS, EnB, SL, SWG. MoM, EQ2, AO, SB, CoH, LOTRO, WoW, DDO+ f2p's, Demo’s & indie alpha's.

• ForbForb Member Posts: 1

DAoC, end of story

• LaviticusLaviticus Member Posts: 33

Add me as EQ2 Please. Or where do I vote at so  I can vote?

Laviticus.

Close enough :/ … I cut my browser down to make room for my word processor, only looking for the poster name and first word of the post mainly, not too far after that the words go off screen. After all, I’m spending the time counting as a human counts, I’m not a PHP script ;)

btw, what game is "Add"?

hehe :P

M59, UO, EQ1, WWIIOL, PS, EnB, SL, SWG. MoM, EQ2, AO, SB, CoH, LOTRO, WoW, DDO+ f2p's, Demo’s & indie alpha's.

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

Originally posted by Daywolf

Close enough :/ … I cut my browser down to make room for my word processor, only looking for the poster name and first word of the post mainly, not too far after that the words go off screen. After all, I’m spending the time counting as a human counts, I’m not a PHP script ;)

btw, what game is "Add"?

hehe :P

ADD = Attention Deficit Disorder Online best game ever, you can even play it while at school!

• LucziferLuczifer Member UncommonPosts: 155

Originally posted by Isane

AC1

Fantastic no real end game but just joyous to play. Sadly End Game content and MMOs are a little bit of an oxymoron.

You should really be talking an Arena Game if it's about end game. MMOs are all about persistancy and longevity, nice thread but just so wrong in so many ways.

Hard to say better, man :) That's exactly point - ideal end-game for MMO is NO end-game at all.

Neverending story, endless adventures, wide worlds etc. That we really want. And sure in some place on our explorations we can found a legendary lair of dragon battle with whom takes time and tactics, but that's not end.

If I mentioned EQ1 til PoP (incl.) then that was just the case:

When legendary heros broke borders with lands of gods, when they went step-by-step to more and more bigger, stronger gods... and when they reach at last god of gods, big Quarm, god of times.... and kill him too. That would be place to put dot on I.

But then expand game to next patch where 1-2 lil porcupines kill with ease and speed whole 54-men raid of previous god-killers - that was just obsolete and stupid.

Same thing happened in LOTRO when instead of developing nice story (they already have done very nice) in one stop there was seemly some break-down in brains of some devs. And they started to develope "end-game", meanless radiance-grind rally and stupid instances and more stupidier skirmishes. That killed game not only for me but many ppl I know and respect.

• LasastardLasastard Member Posts: 604

DAoC pre-ToA

RVR was the only thing in any MMO that kept me engage for any length of time. Could never really care for PvE raiding, but RVR was just a prefect system to challenge you and  confront you with an almost endless number of situations.

• bobbadudbobbadud Member Posts: 268

This thread shows the pitiful state mmorpg.com is in right now. Having a bad taste is one thing, but I didn't have such a good laugh in a very long time.

The fact MMo’s are stale and unbelievable badly designed is your fault guys. Do support these great ideas and make more wind please.  Mark Morhaime and Bobby Kotick are laughing at you all over the internet.

It’s embarrassing when an NPC compliments you in an MMo, the only relevant, cool and epic things come from players whispering you “Grtz, mate, we did it”. copyright Pilnkplonk

Originally posted by Luczifer

Hard to say better, man :) That's exactly point - ideal end-game for MMO is NO end-game at all.

*yawn* I never said end-game. Most people understand what end-game-content is regarding mmog's. Make it too hard to understand, winds up going nowhere. Just be happy I'm taking the time to count the votes heh

• BaffaBaffa Member Posts: 37

Star Trek Online

• AlysenMinaseAlysenMinase Member Posts: 361

FFXI. The most varied endgame and the most fun out of all MMO's I've played.

Playing - EVE, Wurm

Retired - Final Fantasy XI, Anarchy Online, Mabinogi

Waiting - ArcheAge, Salem