Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does Posting about SWG Make Us Want to Go Back?

As are many of you, I'm a former SWG'r, I played from nearly the start (before the CU and long before the NGE).  I don't have any plans to ever subscribe to SWG again (although I did attempt to login when I heard about the free month, but turns out that it was only for post-NGE subscribers), but when I see all of these posts about how terrible SOE is and how they really missed the boat with all of the changes, I wonder if this actually helps them in some ways?  I find myself constantly having to resist re-subscribing just to see what's going on and who might be there that I knew from before.  If I never saw a post complaining about SWG, I'm pretty sure I probably would assume it was shutdown all together.

Just an observation, I'm not against or for slamming SOE or SWG, it's all interesting reading :-).

Comments

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

I post about SWG from time to time but I have no desire to ever go back. I've downloaded the game a couple of times over the past 5 years and all it takes for me to realize I dont want to play again is seeing that my Doctor/Combat Medic no longer exists as well as my sons Creature Handler/Bio Engineer.

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295

Short answer, YES.

But when that desire gets to strong, I resume the work with the emulator until the desire goes away.

Even though I know that my work with a private emulator probably only will be used by me and some friends.

At least I have fun when getting my SWG fix. :)

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410

Not really most of the posts are from people that logged on for a day and from ones that played like you and still think its 2003.     But ya its  interesting to see how much SOE messed these people up, kinda like watching a car accident.

• whpshwhpsh Member Posts: 199

As with all things, as time goes by, you forget some of the things that made you quit in the first place.

I played the game probably 75% for the JTL content even when it was pre-nge. And TOR would be doing itself a HUGE favor if it copied JTL to the letter. But the other 25% of the time, I was trying other things. And, eventually, that 25% becomes the reason I leave.

I still have the desire to back from time to time. But after the last time I went back and had the above realization, it is unlikely I'll return. I still, obviously, love snooping the SWG forums though, to see what's going on.

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

Does Posting about SWG Make Us Want to Go Back? I would hope that we are not that weak of mind.

The reasons why most of us left are still there. SOE realizes that - Ask them why they limited this past month free play to NGE vets only.

SOE realizes that you can not go back home especially since they know that your home has been blown up - leveled and turn into a General Grievous Wheel Bike Test Track (MY Idea SOE - I best not hear that you used it).

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• Tenbwen1Tenbwen1 Member UncommonPosts: 50

I have been back from time to time just to realize i didn't want to be there with me being a Master Arctitect and everything i use to sell doesn't sell anymore i will just stay away. And have fond memories of years gone bye.

Tenbwen

• ErythrocyteErythrocyte Member Posts: 103
    Originally posted by whpsh

I played the game probably 75% for the JTL content ...

Agreed, it would be nice if some resemblance of what was included with JTL was in SWTOR.  So far from what we've seen with SWTOR, it doesn't appear that will be the case though (if it is anyway, they're not talking about it).

I didn't personally spend that much time in space doing quests, but I felt like SWG peaked at around the time JTL came-out.  Just the fact that you could go out into space and basically have a whole other game was pretty impressive.  I always wished you could actually take off and land (and actually have control over it and see it), it would have been cool to hover over the ground, similar to a flying mount in WoW.

• EchobeEchobe Member Posts: 262

No desire to return. I am just a nostalgic holdout who misses the days when SWG had potential.

• uofa13luofa13l Member Posts: 29

SWG was a classic game; visionary, complex, deep, and intelligent. Unfortunately it launched in America where most gamers detest these properties. SOE's biggest flaw was not understanding the MMO genre itself. Catering to what u think is your playerbase can be deadly. I still remember all the complaints; combat was too confusing, melee stackers were unbeatable, why arent there classes?

The end result..they destroy the system that gave you 126 different combat trees that could be mixed and matched any way the player chose. This lead to approx 100 different "combat stats". PPL thought melee stacker was the end all be all (or jedi) but my roomie and I both built chars that would own any jedi or melee stacker 1 vs 1 (sucked vs a few things but no1 ever stepped).

The only real problem original SWG had was ppl being too pansy to be overt. I wish there were certain actions or perks that required u to be overt for a long period of time.

Im a graphics/tech whore who sometimes chooses graphics over gameplay but I would drop everygame i am playing and quit my job if a server ever went live with the original game.

• SkeeSkeeSkeeSkee Member UncommonPosts: 129

Yes it does.  Like it or not, those who post and even view these forums do so because at one point in time this game was one of the best games they ever played.  You don't keep talking about a game you hate for 5 YEARS after you left, or 7 YEARS after you started playing if it didn't have a profound effect on your life.   Posting about certain aspects conjure up memories of great times past, and it's human nature to want to re create these good times.  However, like with most things in life, experiences in ones past are only great in memories.  

I played from a couple months after launch, until 3 years into the NGE before I finally through in the towel out of shear boredom.  Since then I would occasionally find myself reminiscing about good times in game with good people and the desire to log back in.   However I waited until a free trial rolled around and logged back in.  After 15 minutes, I logged back with a fresh reminder of why I left in the first place.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Yes, in fact I logged in last night.

Oh, wait... That wasn't NGE, that was real SWG. Anyway, I wasn't on for long, just checking my bazaar sales. Hard to believe that some people were actually charging 20k for 100 units of Fiberplast. Sure it was Tatooinian, needed for advanced med crafting, but those stats just sucked.

• TaoMcDohlTaoMcDohl Member UncommonPosts: 103

All it does for me is make me irritated at how much fun SWG could've been, and how my entire community and guild fell to pieces because of the NGE.  It doesn't make me want to play SWG today, it makes me want to weep and pour a lil' beer on the ground for SWG.  

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

I don't think so...that's like suggesting that me saying my poop had corn in it, makes people wanna have corn for dinner.

• NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452

I used to want to play. But I tried the NGE and it wasn't the same game. I don't want a new game. I want the old game that I liked in the first place.

Going back and finding the millions in assests I had reduced to worthless clutter ruined it for me.

I guess many of the paintings I had would still be valueable. I had most of those.

But no more. My short, fat imperial trando won't walk the face of that game again.

• slowbusslowbus Member UncommonPosts: 14

Originally posted by SkeeSkee

Yes it does.  Like it or not, those who post and even view these forums do so because at one point in time this game was one of the best games they ever played.  You don't keep talking about a game you hate for 5 YEARS after you left, or 7 YEARS after you started playing if it didn't have a profound effect on your life.   Posting about certain aspects conjure up memories of great times past, and it's human nature to want to re create these good times.  However, like with most things in life, experiences in ones past are only great in memories.  

I played from a couple months after launch, until 3 years into the NGE before I finally through in the towel out of shear boredom.  Since then I would occasionally find myself reminiscing about good times in game with good people and the desire to log back in.   However I waited until a free trial rolled around and logged back in.  After 15 minutes, I logged back with a fresh reminder of why I left in the first place.

SWG was my first major MMO, I started playing it from Launch when I was 14 and immediately left a couple days into the combat upgrade when I realized how poorly they executed it. It almost hurt to leave SWG, it was my first 'magical' experience..The day Jump to Lightspeed was released I purchased it(FROM THE STORE because I was so excited, I didn't want to waste time digitally downloading it), and I remember the hours I spent trying to get my ship going and do space missions, that was fun. The magic from SWG happened not because of the game but because of the community..Waiting in lines for doc buffs before solo partying at coronet or dantooine just shooting the sh*t with your friends in game, or chilling out in the cantina while entertainers do their thing and you wait for buffs socializing, or even pitching tents out while hunting krayts with your guild with the starry backdrop in the sky. It sounds corny too some but I just remember how fascinated I was with the whole concept..SWG was my first reality away from reality and the game that got me hooked on MMO's. I am hoping SWGEMU will attract a lot of the player base back because what I listed above is something that I am positive I do not feel alone about.

I'm dope that was cut from the ki

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

It doesn't make me want to go back. I was with the game from beta up til NGE. I enjoyed my time, more so than all but 1 or maybe 2 other MMOs that I have played. That said, SOE made their choice in that they didn't want me as a player or consumer. I accepted that and have since made the decision not to purchase any Sony product. Such is the way of business and buyer/seller relations. Choices get made.

When I post and SWG is the topic, yes, I remember the good times and am thankful for them. That said, if SOE opened a "classic" server today I wouldn't go back.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

I enjoy SWG despite $OE image

Waiting for finalizing the original features and laugh at those $OE retards who would get all the sub money from me all the years  but they decided to not respect my wish and take back the NGE the time it was possible to take that shit back.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Depends on who reads it, and how it's written- like that echolynfan's post, "I came back and ooooh what a wonderful game". Badgers has a new friend.

It's been said over and over and over and over, people that has played this game since launch and has taken in as many vet trials as they received knows the state of the game. The ones that hasn't played the game for years or the ones that are just picking up the game for the first time would easily fall for echolynfan's post.

It's that simple.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Nope.

I played about 20 minutes of my vet month.  The game plays like a Harley Davidson rides... if it had a VW Bug chassis on it.

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

It doesn't make me want to go back. I was with the game from beta up til NGE. I enjoyed my time, more so than all but 1 or maybe 2 other MMOs that I have played. That said, SOE made their choice in that they didn't want me as a player or consumer. I accepted that and have since made the decision not to purchase any Sony product. Such is the way of business and buyer/seller relations. Choices get made.

When I post and SWG is the topic, yes, I remember the good times and am thankful for them. That said, if SOE opened a "classic" server today I wouldn't go back.

This pretty much sums up my thinking as well.  I'd also add that anything I'd want to go back to is no longer there: the skill system, all of the professions I had mastered or was working on, the huge player population, one of my favourite servers, the sense of being immersed in an open-ended StarWars universe. 

It's simply not the game or the community atmosphere I enjoyed being part of.  Actually, when I've been tempted to return, a lot of the posts here served as a reality-check, and a welcome one.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

I've accepted the fact that the game is gone and never coming back. Therefor i have no reason to login. i played from the beginning until quite some time after NGE. Game is dead to me.

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

Originally posted by sookster54

Depends on who reads it, and how it's written- like that echolynfan's post, "I came back and ooooh what a wonderful game". Badgers has a new friend.

Oddly enough, those types of posts always seem to coincide with posts on the OBoards that where the lonely playerbase decides they need to convince others to play the game through making posts on other forums about how great the game is, how much it has improved, and how the only people who don't agree that the game is just great haven't logged into it in years.  Purely a coincidence I'm sure...

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by Obee

Oddly enough, those types of posts always seem to coincide with posts on the OBoards that where the lonely playerbase decides they need to convince others to play the game through making posts on other forums about how great the game is, how much it has improved, and how the only people who don't agree that the game is just great haven't logged into it in years.  Purely a coincidence I'm sure...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices that lol. Just last week players were discussing how they need to start their own marketing campaign on youtube with "kewl player made vids". Which I guess is fine, but damn...some people are so pleased to pay $15/mo to do al the stuff SoE fails to do.

FYI...free month coming shortly :)

edit: Found the thread on the o-boards I mentioned.

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

Originally posted by TUX426

Originally posted by Obee

I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices that lol. Just last week players were discussing how they need to start their own marketing campaign on youtube with "kewl player made vids". Which I guess is fine, but damn...some people are so pleased to pay $15/mo to do al the stuff SoE fails to do.

FYI...free month coming shortly :)

edit: Found the thread on the o-boards I mentioned.

It happens about every six months or so, usually a few weeks following a vet trial promotion ends.  That has always made the 'The only reason you make negative comments about the game is because you haven't tried it recently' extra humorous.  It is always proceeded by a thread on the OBoard wondering how to increase the number of players, which is eventually blamed on former players, which leads to the idea to spam other forums with glowing praise for SWG.

There are at least two other threads on the OBoard pushing the same idea as the one you linked.

• B14cKs0LB14cKs0L Member UncommonPosts: 152

I played swg from day one! The class system was awesome. The crafting was top notch, I think I was the 3rd ever jedi unlocked. I say this because I remember reading about some chick that was the 1st unlock. The I remember My friend unlocking about 1 week after and I came about 1 week after him unlocking on the ID class. At that point jedi sucked so much it was not funny.  Stacked TKA was whooping ass! THe worst thing SOE ever did was put holocrons in the game.

I dunno if the dev would have stuck to the game and supported it. But I guess they were losing a lot of players so in comes the NGE. What ever...