Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The MMO memories that make you cringe...

Azen77Azen77 Member UncommonPosts: 125

Ever been thinking of going back to some beloved game? Reveling with a buddy over the nostalgia of how awesome it was, and how games aren't like they used to be, when suddenly you remember one of the ACTUAL tasks and are like, "OMG NOOOO!",throw up a little in your mouth, and say screw it because you remember some gameplay mechanic/experience that just turned you off forever?

Thought it would be interesting to see what people absolutely hated/despised about their MMO games to the point it makes your brain scramble to GTFO of your skull before being made to do that again. Here's some of mine off the top of my head.

• EQ2: Heritage Quests...

• EQ1: Camping specific species of animal to extinction, or at least what should have been extinction.

• AC1: The death animation and sound effect followed by the portal...permanaently scarred with both the humour of it and the pain of knowing I had no idea where I died...oh and finding my last taper...

• WoW: Quest hubs...I swear to god I'm never playing another game where I have to run around mindlessly clicking ! people to then just follow waypoints.

• Allods: Bag raid...! hubs...

• LoTR: Killing wolves...in every...freaking...zone...

• DaoC: c...r...a...f...t...i...n...g.......b...a...r...........

UO,AC1&2,EQ1&2,DAOC,SB,SWG,FFXI, Horizons,EvE,E&B,AO,WoW,VG, Lineage,GW,TR,LotR,AoC,CoH,DDO a myriad of FtP...and still looking...

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

"Corp Por"

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

EQ: It's a tossup between the camping that ensued in that game and the level of downtime for mana regen.  The regen time it took in that game was really ridiculous even with things like kei, regen items, etc.

WoW: Watching the community take a downward slide over the course of the first few months of the game.  In the beginning it was like most other communities far as how people treated each other but it slowly changed into a group that was more intent on seeing how many people they could offend, insult, or annoy rather than providing assistance or helpful info to players especially in the global channels.

AoC: Worst launch I've ever participated in and worst customer service (or lack there of) outside of NcSoft's version of customer service with Aion.  Whether it's fair or not between my experience and what happened to others during the first few months of that game has pretty much ensured I will never deal with Funcom again.

EQ2:  The original crafting system - Proof that just because something sounds good in theory does not mean it will actually be good in practice.  This system had to be one of the most ridiulous timsinks ever conceived in an mmo.  It took forever to make anything and considering that the only weay to get the best version of skills or spells was through crafting it was made all the worse.  The best part is that it was received so poorly by most that you couldn't even rely on trying to purchase your skills/spells from others because only a few were doing the crafting so prices were outrageous for the items. It's no wonder for those that experienced this why Sony ended up having to revamp the whole system.

Plenty more but those are a few that stand out to me.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

Originally posted by Azen77

• AC1: The death animation and sound effect followed by the portal...permanaently scarred with both the humour of it and the pain of knowing I had no idea where I died...oh and finding my last taper...

Doh! I used to have nightmares about that sound. But to be honest the thrill of losing all of my equipment, yet again, was one of the things I really liked about that game. My best friend played the game too and was my vassal. When things were going good for me I'd hook him up with some nice weapons and armor. Then a week later or so I'd come back to him and be like: So dude, that stuff I gave you, I need it back. He'd laugh, and other than the time I had given him a full set of black amuli which he refused to part with, he'd give it back and within a couple of days I'd either return it or set him up with something better.

Good times man.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by Azen77
    Ever been thinking of going back to some beloved game? Reveling with a buddy over the nostalgia of how awesome it was, and how games aren't like they used to be, when suddenly you remember one of the ACTUAL tasks and are like, "OMG NOOOO!",throw up a little in your mouth, and say screw it because you remember some gameplay mechanic/experience that just turned you off forever?
    Thought it would be interesting to see what people absolutely hated/despised about their MMO games to the point it makes your brain scramble to GTFO of your skull before being made to do that again. Here's some of mine off the top of my head.
    EQ2: Heritage Quests... EQ1: Camping specific species of animal to extinction, or at least what should have been extinction. AC1: The death animation and sound effect followed by the portal...permanaently scarred with both the humour of it and the pain of knowing I had no idea where I died...oh and finding my last taper... WoW: Quest hubs...I swear to god I'm never playing another game where I have to run around mindlessly clicking ! people to then just follow waypoints. Allods: Bag raid...! hubs... LoTR: Killing wolves...in every...freaking...zone... DaoC: c...r...a...f...t...i...n...g.......b...a...r...........

Hehehe. I personally like the HQ quests in EQ2 and WoW quest hubs. I do agree with the LOTRO thing, although for me it seemed more boars then wolves, rofl, but I guess there was both.

Let me think.

SWG - Leveling just sucks. Pre NGE and post.
    Eve - Mining. So boring.
    Lotro - Grinding deeds. If combat was faster and a bit more fun, this wouldn't be an issue.
    WoW - running dungeons more than 20 times at end game.
    EVERY MMO that I can think of - running back and forth to the same stinking area to turn in quests and get new ones all killing the same mob or a mob in the same location. Just load me up and send me to a spot ONE time please.
    AoC - zoning.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

In before SWG. Oops. Too late.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by heerobya

"Corp Por"

"An Ex Por"

"Vas Ort Flam"

"Corp Por"

"Corp Por"

"You are dead"

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Member UncommonPosts: 342

SWG -- NGE  -- Doesn't really need an explanation

LOTRO -- While I am really enjoying the game still and rolled a hunter alt, I can't stand spiders anymore.  I'll take all the bears, boars and wolves just please no more spiders.

Vanguard -- Want to try this game, but not really comfortable with giving SOE anymore of my money

CO -- Liked the game for about 2 months and then just got bored.  Want to back, but afraid of boredom setting in again.  Plus my experience with STO has me leery of Cryptic.

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

Oh I just remembered one!

Portal ganking in AC2.

• ChaosIncChaosInc Member Posts: 112

EVE - The perfect "once behind, always behind" game.  You can never catch up to those who have been playing for years.  It's like trying to chase the end of a rainbow.

WoW - I jump in and out of it.  Nevertheless, the things that turn me off are a) running the same dungeons 200+ times to get enough badges for gear/heirlooms, b) getting 2 shot by FotM classes, c) the fact that at every expansion the gear you just spent months getting is replaced by the first green quest reward, d) the arena ruining PvP forever and finally e) the fact the game has become easy mode.  Besides for the endgame dungeons (which only last a few months), there is nothing challenging anymore to this game.

LOTR - I liked the books/movies, but I just can't get into this.  Feels.... artificial.

WAR - Game started out great, but failed to deliver past lvl 30.  That and constant server crashes on capital city raids which is what killed it entirely for me.

DDO - I still like it, but after running for a while the game begins to feel too confined.  Plus the dungeons never actually change, so once you've run it enough times you'll have it memorized for traps and such, taking away half the difficulty.  Game would vastly be improved with an "on-the-spot" dungeon generator.  Hell, they even had a system for this in the books....

STO - Great space combat.  Then I got on the ground.  End of story there.

CoH/CoV - Game was ok, but didn't have enough to keep me interested.

FFXI - I came to the party way too late on this one after being spoiled by better graphics and faster gameplay.

Aion - GRRRRIIIIIIINNNNNNNNDDDDDDDD.  Never even made it to 30 before I felt exhausted by grinding.

MXO - Enough said.

PotBS - Again, great ship battles, avatar battles were lame.

SotNW - Great concept, great graphics.... too bad it was ruined by trying to keep up with 3 characters at the same time.

Think that about covers them all that I've played.

NEWS FLASH! PAYING THE SUB IN F2P = NO DIFFERENCE THAN P2P GAMES!

Why the hell can't the whiners comprehend this?

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

8 hours getting an ability point in Umbral Plains......

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

WoW - The quest chain to get the Paladin Charger.  Long, tedius, expensive and frustrating. Just when you thought it was over the quest giver would find another 1800 things for you to do. Hardley got any of the mats from the auction house, farmed everything I could. Solo'd the scarlet mobs. Took me weeks and the by the end of it i was ready to quit and if not quit then definatly write Blizz a strongly worded letter.

LOTRO - Slayer deeds. Never again.

• Kungaloosh1Kungaloosh1 Member Posts: 260

Eq1-Fizzle fizzle fizzle fizzle fizzle....oom.....

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

• Lineage 2 - spawncamping mobs, terrible rubberbanding, getting stuck in terrain, boring abilites

• Risk Your Life - more spawncamping, grinding...

• Fall of Mankind - spawncamping players also known among role players as "patrolling" or "keeping the peace"

• Eve - POS bashing, gate camping, station games, mining, hi-sec wars, canflipping...

• Anarchy Online - getting stuck in the map

• Auto Assault - the horrible lag

• Tabula Rasa - boring combat

• Guild Wars - the sometimes hour long waits between GvG before they improved the matchmaking

• Vanguard - the grind, the grindy quests, respawning mobs in dungeons, traveltime

• Dungeons & Dragons Online - market buffs, veteran players with their inv full of potions blitzing to the finish, dungeon grinding

• AoC - the reduced quality of the content after Tortage

• Pirates of the Burning Sea - sea battles were good and land battles were anything but

• so on and so forth

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Lord of the Rings Online - Combat system where I can only tell if I've blocked if the floating text says so. Killing the same boars at level 30 that I was killing at level 1. Mindless quest hubs and invisible walls. Mobs and bandits IN the Shire.

WoW - "!" Over every head railroading you along a linear dumbed down path. Having so few features. The battlegrounds. 

DAoC - Getting scrolls to unlock my artifact underwater. 9 second casted stuns from virtually every caster. 

WAR - Having no actual game world, just a series of tiers. 

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

Some of you have some trivial pet peeves.
    WoW's hunter epic bow quest FAQ.
    This quest was in vanilla WoW, it involves raid bosses, mobs who don't get damaged, forced solo encounters, etc.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Lineage 1 - Nerfing my mage w/o offering respecs, right after I paid almost a million in hard earned Adena for a spell that dropped to about 30K after the 'rebalance'

DAOC - TOA. TOA. TOA.  The one single factor that introduced raiding into my life for the first time, which I hated right from the start and the gear grinding eventually drove me from the game.

Shadowbane - the 'swell' mechanic where another guild could attack your player built city and burn most of it to the ground while everyone was offline.

Lineage 2 - Grinding, and more grinding, and yet again more grinding.  Never did I face a game where despite my 3-4 hours of daily play the level cap seemed so far off (like 1.5 years)

City of Heroes/Villians - Repetition.  After a while it seemed like every mission was the exact same mission, no matter how they skinned it.

Guild Wars - 20 levels?  Sounds great in theory, if there is actually something fun to do afterwards.  No, I didn't care for GW's PVP system, I prefer open world combat to instances.

WOW - Where to start. Raiding and more raiding, which is an extension of running lower level dungeons ad nausem in hopes that one sought after piece of gear will drop and that you'll win the roll over the loot ninja in your pug.  Faction grinding, really despised it, and they kept adding more and more.

LoTRO - Fun at first, but by level 30 I felt like I had done this all before, see WOW. Run quests, level up character, raiding waiting for me at the end. 

Vanguard - Sinking through the world, dying and losing exp and no way to recover grave marker.  Come to think of it, recovering grave markers sort of sucked anywhere they were, which was frequently in some place you could never get back to.

Age of Conan - Craptacular launch that ruined what could be a decent game.  The over use of instances did not help.  Its one thing to instance a zone, but within certain dungeons they had instances which were easily exploitable to avoid combat. Lame.

WAR - Too much like WOW, not enough like DAOC, enough said about that.

DDO - Where's the open world to explore?  Nothing but a linked set of dungeons from a waiting room.

Aion - who thought that adding more mindless grinding to an MMO was a good idea. Rampant botting and gold spamming at launch.

EVE - Most grating thing is that a ship geared for PVE is pretty much helpless if attacked by someone set up for PVP.  Wish it could have been a bit more balanced so that the attackers aren't so heavily favored.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

We'll start at the beginning of my MMO career and work forwards -

1. UO pre-trammel - seeing a few blocks of Red text when carrying anything other then a death robe and spell book.

2. UO post-trammel - Liches!  Also Tamer herds around Brittania bank bringing server performance to a crawl. And Blade Flurries.

3. Earth and Beyond - The XP bar.

4. SWG - Missions, patch notes.

5. FFXI - Playonline.

6. Classic WoW - Post-wipe Molten Core corpse runs.

7. WoW : Burning Crusade - Fel Reavers, reputation grinds.

8. WAR - Class "balance" and bad PQ loot rolls.

9. WoW : Wrath of the Lich Kings - Death Knight Tanks in PUGs

10. EvE online - Missions. Gate campers, training times.

• JSchindlerJSchindler Member Posts: 87

EVE - Being reduced to a pod before the loading screen ends by squads of zone-in campers.

WoW - Repeating instances I hated for my only missing set-piece that just .. did .. not .. drop.

LOTRO - Chasing "the Undying" deed only to die thanks to a client crash at level 19.

SWG - Being unable to solo the Corellian Corvette. And the NGE.

UO - Being unable to place a small house due to all the castles for sale on eBay.

• OclloOcllo Member Posts: 52

1. When EA Games destroyed classic Ultima Online.

2. Shadowbane, when they removed blue dots and /tar.

• SinviperSinviper Member Posts: 169

WoW - The same old grind every expansion. Community of retards.

Aion - Not enough quests, grind after grind after grind.

Lotro - Feels fake, almost depressing. Horrible animations. Same old forumla of random quest after random quest.

And yet, for me and even though I don't play it anymore after 4 years, WoW is still the best out of all...sad really.

Originally posted by --Name edited out--

EX-PRO PLAYER IN WOW HERE.THIS GAME IS GOOD! TRUST ME IM USED TO BE THE BEST IN WOW BUT JUST A N00B IN AION. ITS CHALLENGEING , TRY IT!

[Sigh, watch out guys, this dude's pro.]

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

When someone commented in Aion about my very high PvP PK score for a low level....and realizing that out of a few hundred kills only a handful were fair fights and a good portion were bots I rifted.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618

L2 - Farming for hours to buy a spear only to have someone 20 lvls higher then me pk me and take it within an hour :(

RF - The fact gear meant everything in pvp and I still enjoyed it

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

I'm seeing a lot of not so bad things people are listing but I guess some people cringe at the slightest things.

PT- leveling centered around killing thousands of mobs daily for XP. For special events GMs would spawn masses of hard mobs on you. I died so many times I lost a weeks worth of XP.

On another special event they gave away some decent prizes to people that started a new character and leveled the highest in a week. You pretty much had to have no life of constant playing and friends that would take over when you needed to sleep.

• LotosSlayerLotosSlayer Member Posts: 247

Grinding VP in Anarchy Online PvP battlegrounds while being Omni which was the team that ALWAYS lost. >_<

Questing in any WoW clone like WAR, LotR, AoC, EQ2, etc. I mean, questing in WoW is alright.. atleast until level 50 when I had to force myself to get to the end-game, but questing in those games are just second rate versions of the same exact thing.

• dirtyjoe78dirtyjoe78 Member Posts: 400

Lineage 2 the 76-80 grind, all the class change quests, the subclass quest.  Loved the game but those were the worst parts i think the class change quests were the worst because they took forever and there was little to no reward.