Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More populated, Everquest II or Vanguard?

jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I'm thinking of re-subbing to one of these and don't want to play in a ghost town.

Comments

• NateArcadeNateArcade Member UncommonPosts: 83

Everquest II

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

While I don't play either of them, judging on the posts here about vanguard all the time, and the fact that everquest has a very loyal following that is quite large I'm about 99% sure that EQ2 has more subs currently.

• TelonTelon Member Posts: 81

EverQuest II.  Always hearing how empty Vanguard is and it's sad cause it's a pretty good game.

• ComplicationComplication Member Posts: 209

neither. they are both trash

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

If you like that style of game, why not LotR or DDO?

EQ2 & VG both have terminal pop issues compared to many other games IMHO.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Originally posted by Torak

Very odd for you to say this while advertising the DAOC trial.

IRT:  XFire seems to indicate EQ2 by a longshot:

• LOTRO, ~6000 hrs

• DDO, ~2200 hrs

• EQ2, ~1000 hrs

• DAOC, ~260 hrs

• Vanguard, ~110 hrs

Not that I'm saying you can't enjoy a good game with low pop as long as the servers aren't poorly spread out.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Originally posted by Axehilt

Originally posted by Torak

Very odd for you to say this while advertising the DAOC trial.

IRT:  XFire seems to indicate EQ2 by a longshot:

• LOTRO, ~6000 hrs

• DDO, ~2200 hrs

• EQ2, ~1000 hrs

• DAOC, ~260 hrs

• Vanguard, ~110 hrs

Not that I'm saying you can't enjoy a good game with low pop as long as the servers aren't poorly spread out.

This is true and that is why DAoC works with a low pop. The servers are all connected and they all tie into one RvR area. Basically you are all playing on one server.

VG...you try playing with a low pop in that huge world.

EQ2...same deal and on top of it most folks are high level leaving low levels alone.

Aside from that, I did not advocate the OP trying DAoC because it doesn't even come close to the playstyle he is looking for and IMHO Xfire isn't worth crap for tracking usage. It's maybe good for trending but thats about it.

I am more comfortable with NPD's survey in which EQ2 doesn't even show because it ranks so low on the list while DAoC does.

Why, does it bother you? Maybe suggest a game like the topic suggest and worry less about what I like. image image PM me if you feel the need to pursue this off topic question.

• eggbert20eggbert20 Member Posts: 11

Vanguard may feel more empty than other games like it because the world is so large. I've played both games (currently playing VG), and it's been hit or miss with both. I've had times with EQII where I've found tons of groups (in the 60's range) whenever I log in, and other times where I can't find any. With VG, before I resubbed, I never found a group and rarely found anyone talking in chat. Since I've come back, it seems like the population has picked up. There is always lively chatter in the general channels, and I joined the guild "After Hours", which is made up of mostly mmorpg.com users, and the conversations have been lively. In the guild there is anywhere from 10-15 players on at all times, even in off peak hours. I love both games. I've always been a HUGE EQII player, but I'm very happy with VG right now, and glad I decided to return. Just my two sense. Hope it helps.

• elusivexelusivex Member Posts: 86

Everquest 2 has a higher population.  Not like thats saying much but it does.    

A man or "gamer" should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.

• wildtalentwildtalent Member UncommonPosts: 380

I have recently played both and here is what I have to say.  EQ 2 has a higher population but it exists at the higher levels, so early on expect to go it alone.

Vangaurd has a MUCH smaller population but efforts here on MMORPG.COM have produced a guild on Seradon with over a hundred members most of whom are starting out.  This means you will have some folks to level with.

Both are great games.  But because of the current climate and the sheer number of amenities the game has I would have to recommend Vangaurd at the present.

BTW if you do decided to give it a try, start your character on the island, not your hometown and look up the guild After Hours.

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

Why wouldn't you want to play WoW?
    EQ2, Vanguard are very similar to WoW. Graphics are probably the biggest difference but WoW has the population. If you roll on one of the old servers, you're always going to be on with thousands of fellow players.
    LotRO is similar too, but it has low pop except for the max level zones.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Originally posted by uquipu

Why wouldn't you want to play WoW?

EQ2, Vanguard are very similar to WoW. Graphics are probably the biggest difference but WoW has the population. If you roll on one of the old servers, you're always going to be on with thousands of fellow players.

LotRO is similar too, but it has low pop except for the max level zones.

The main reason I want to play EQ2 or Vanguard is for the more involved crafting mechanics. WoWs crafting is pure crap, and LotR isn't that great either.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Vanguard has a very detailed crafting system that I don't know much about other than the fact that it's detailed.  EQ2's is a bit more complex than WoW, but it's mainly just node harvesting and combining harvested materials.  Every so often you will get a rare harvestable which you'll need in crafting the desirable items.  Personally, while EQ2's crafting system is easy to get a handle on, I find it annoying as you have to be at your keyboard and attentive during the crafting process as you're forced to play this little mini-game by clicking certain buttons on a hotbar in order to successfully create the item.  Some people like that, but I like my crafting to be a semi AFK activity. 

As for the population, in terms of total numbers, I would say EQ2 is far more populated.  That said, there are more servers, and you'll have a higher chance at picking a dead server, so pay attention to the server load when creating a character.  For a newbie, the Antonia Bayle has by far the largest population and the largest population spread by level.  Other servers like Mistmoore, Lucan D'Lere, and Nagafen may have a decent to high population, but the population may be concentrated further towards the end game.

Vanguard has three US servers and one European server.  There's one PvP server which averages little over a hundred players online at a time (or so I hear) and two relatively  populated PvE servers (Seradon and Xeth).  Vanguard sports a gigantic world that really thins out the population density especially at the lower levels, and it's a bit more difficult to advance through soloing in the game compared to EQ2's small, compact world and  plethora of solo content.  However,  Take a look at my signature.  VG's problems aside, it's a great game with an amazingly detailed world that should at least be experienced if not chosen as a main MMORPG.  Many of us here at mmorpg.com have decided to give Vanguard a first look/second chance and have created our own guild on the Seradon server called After Hours which is probably currently the best way for any new or returning player to experience the game.

• metalicosmetalicos Member Posts: 6

On the PvP servers:

EQ2 Nagafen has plenty of people

VG Sartok is pretty empty

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Vanguard is definitely a poor choice for PvP.

I dont know much about EQ2, but I could imagine its not exatly a top PvP title either, given that it was made in about the same spirit.

• MiffyMiffy Member Posts: 244

They're both ghost towns.

Vanguard you'll probably see one person every few days from my experience of it unless you're on that trial island.

Everquest 2 you'll see a few people in the city which was made to be packed lol. You'll then never find a group until you get to the way higher levels.

I saw more people in SWG the other month than I ever did in these two games lol. Everquest has far too many servers for it's own good, it only needs one PVE, one RP and one PVP. Vanguard is just dead because it isn't very good.

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

Originally posted by elusivex

Everquest 2 has a higher population.  Not like thats saying much but it does.    

I would have to agree - I am suprised that Vanguard is still running.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

That is easy to answer EQ2,  in vangaurd I could go for hours without seing anybody.  Its 6am im runing around sundered getting ore, and there are at least 10 other players taht I can see from my vantage point.

Why vangaurd is still up and going is beyond my understanding.

Oh and I played both, I loved the crafting in vangaurd, it was the general gameplay and lack of folks playing the game that turned me off on vangaurd.  Unlike Lotro where the currrent gating system kept you gating from doing 1/3 of the content  unless you were hard core raider.

• Why?