Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Possible Playable Races, Part One

Comments

• MandaloreMandalore Member UncommonPosts: 131

Originally posted by reillan

Originally posted by Mandalore

I think  Wookies and Twi'leks are a safe bet, they are iconic and human-like enough. Its a kind of "orcs" and "elves" ^^

Some of these races i hope will make it into the game:

Noghri are extremely unlikely, as they were completely non-technological until Thrawn came on the scene (similar to Ewok as a playable race).  Since this is many thousands of years before that, I doubt we'll see them.

Most of the rest of those would be fine.  #1 on the list is #1 in highest probability, too, since that race was at least mentioned in the movies.

Details ^^ - but i think your right ... thats it - no noghri bounty hunter ^^

Originally posted by alkarionlog

no one want mandalorians? I guess it still would exist some of then for this timeline

Right, but mandalorians aren't a race or species, so i dont see them as a race ingame. The way of the mandalorians is a decision you make by yourself and not your DNA.

Maybe they will add them as a joinable faction? ...

In general the have to split the human races too. Ther should be a diffference in a corillan or a courouscanti.

-------------------------------------
     Playing: Overwatch, Genshin Impact, Black Desert Mobile, Hundred Soul, Cyberpunk 2077
     Inactive: WAR, DAoC, RIFT, GW1/2, TSW, Age of Wulin, Black Desert, Blade & Soul, Skyforge

• ZerakusZerakus Member Posts: 19

Originally posted by Methos12

I have to admit I'm a little bit perplexed right now... why Rattataki? Is there something special about them that I'm missing or are they a clear marketing choice because of Ventress and her role in The Clone Wars cartoon? Other than that, they seem like a very bland almost-human race.

I think it's related to the planet choices so far, alot of obscure, little known, or almost entirely unknown planets chosen... or it might just be that they want alot of different species... adding this species shouldn't take that much of their time, as they can share alot of customization with humans and other near-humans.

Was abit of an odd species to start with tho, but it might be best to get the less interesting and more humanlike ones out first, and go upwards. Going down to this again after a myriad of exotic ones might make people disinterested in the species. Similar reason they started with the non-force users when it came to classes, come to think of it.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

Supposedly, all races are going to need to be able to speak galactic basic, which some believe will rule out many of the species that cannot physically speak galactic basic like Wookies.

Twi-Leks are almost a given,  they are one of the most iconic races that can speak basic.

Togrutas seem to be another species that I feel are a pretty decent chance of appearing.  

I think Mike hit the spot with the Cathar, I'm sure we'll be seeing them.

Mon Calamari also have a good shot at being in too.

• KorithianKorithian Member Posts: 243

Its a good list. But as mentioned with the choice of the first revealed race being a little known Clone Wars Cartoon tie in I'm not expecting we will see much.

If you have Trandoshian or Mon Cal or any of the more exotic or well known races in the game, it seems strange to lead with hears a grey skinned bald human! So sadly I think BW was planning on just having humans and when there was a great deal of demand for multiple species on the forums they looked at ways to tick the multiple species box with as little work as possible. So we can look forward to red, blue and oranged skinned humans.

• FraxtureFraxture Member UncommonPosts: 121

I heard Wookies were out as a playable race. Beacuse they didn't fit in with the offered classes.

• BrifBrif Member UncommonPosts: 529

Sith Wookie ftw

• fcazaresfcazares Member Posts: 190

I think Wookies would do fine on the Republic side.. they can be Jedi, they make fine troopers (special armor though I'm sure), and we know at least one that worked as a smuggler. =) Now they dont make sense on the Imperial side really though. I'm sure there would be class restrictions, but they have to have Wookies.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by fcazares

I think Wookies would do fine on the Republic side.. they can be Jedi, they make fine troopers (special armor though I'm sure), and we know at least one that worked as a smuggler. =) Now they dont make sense on the Imperial side really though. I'm sure there would be class restrictions, but they have to have Wookies.

Supposedly George Lucas has said there can no longer be any more Wookiee Jedi, though I can never seem to find a source on this.

• DaredentDaredent Member UncommonPosts: 14

races won't matter if they make this entire game instances.   please don't do it!

• FraxtureFraxture Member UncommonPosts: 121

Originally posted by MikeB

Originally posted by fcazares

Supposedly George Lucas has said there can no longer be any more Wookiee Jedi, though I can never seem to find a source on this.

Exactly, he hates the idea of a Wookiee being a Jedi. So that also rules out Jedi Counselor.

Plus they can't wear armor, so a Trooper is out.

If they offered Wookiees at all, they could only be smugglers in the scheme of things.

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

I wanna be a Smurf Inquisitor.

Two apples high of pure evil.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by Fraxture

I heard Wookies were out as a playable race. Beacuse they didn't fit in with the offered classes.

DLC, as someone else suggested. That's my bet.

Play as an alien - pay extra?

Fly in space - pay extra?

New classes - pay extra?

Maybe.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

I bet wookies won't be playable, but they can be companions.

Originally posted by fansede

Not good enough.

In any case - I thought companions actually took part in those 'flashpoint' cutscenes. Which means talking, which means no Wookiees?

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Not good enough.

In any case - I thought companions actually took part in those 'flashpoint' cutscenes. Which means talking, which means no Wookiees?

Oh thats easy. Bioware will implement a Wookie language skill you toon can take. When the cut scenes happen - your Wookie companion sounds like the GEICO gecko. 

What your groupmates hear from your Wookie  "Grrr gurgle grrrahhah"

What you hear from your Wookie "Surely , MMO Doubter, there is an alternative than melting their faces with your lightsaber."

• upsilonmercupsilonmerc Member Posts: 23

Hoping for Kel Dor too

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Originally posted by reillan

There are really only a few races that people will really *want* to play, and they are based largely on what main characters existed in the movies.  You can bet that we will have:

1. Wookies

2. Twi'leks

3. Sullustans

4. Mon Calamari

We may even see Jar-Jar's race in there, but I seriously hope not.

What races we probably won't have:

1. Ewoks (since most of the republic didn't meet them until RotJ)

2. Jawas (since there's no character customization)

3. Tuskens (ditto)

4. Yoda's race, whatever the heck that is

It's already been stated by LA and BW that there will be no playable Wookie races in SWTOR due to the fact that all characters have voiceovers...and George Lucas dislikes wookies in a heroic role anyhow. That was one of his pet peeves about SWG when SOE allowed Wookies to not only be a playable race but jedis as well which is severely non-canon. 

On another note, to me it won't matter how many races they add because Istaria(formerly Horizons) has something like 14 playable races and that didn't make it a box-office hit either. SWTOR is sadly just turning into the biggest carbon copy of WoW since WoW itself. If I continued to play any SW-based mmo, it would be SWG because at least it is a sandbox type that has turned itself around and begun to improve on their bugs and content finally.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

Not good enough.

Companions can "talk" but supposedly only the main character needs to be able to speak and/or understand galactic basic.  That would also open up your companion to not only wookies, but droids like an R4 unit etc.  I think we'd be more apt to see a wookie companion then a wookie playable race.  

• TransmetTransmet Member UncommonPosts: 5

So...what about Miraluka? Too unexotic/generic (meaning that they only differ from humans, facial-wise, by having no eyes) ?

"The point is, the only real tools we have are our eyes and our heads. It's not the act of seeing with our own eyes alone; it's correctly comprehending what we see." - Spider Jerusalem (Transmetropolitan)

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Let's take a look at the revealed race. It's basically a bald, grey-skinned human. The half-sith, which may or may not be a race (some believe that it will be because it's in the comic) is basically a red-skinned human.

I'm not too familiar with most of the Star Wars species but based on the above observation, I'd venture a guess that most races will be some form of human variant. So Twileks are a possibility, they are basically humans with tentacles on their heads, while species like the wookies and the ithorians are probably not going to happen.

Ithorians are pacifists anyway, so the most action they'll get in TOR is as NPCs, probably in a park playing with flowers or whatever else they do all day long.

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by Mandalore

I think  Wookies and Twi'leks are a safe bet, they are iconic and human-like enough. Its a kind of "orcs" and "elves" ^^

Some of these races i hope will make it into the game:

Most of them are humanoid and i think that this is very important for BioWare - so the more unusual races have no real chance ;)

Edit: Added links to pictures of the races (source: jedipedia.de), that may help those that are not so familar with the expanded SW universe :)

Chagrians  will be there i am calling it now

Originally posted by Czanrei

It's already been stated by LA and BW that there will be no playable Wookie races in SWTOR due to the fact that all characters have voiceovers...and George Lucas dislikes wookies in a heroic role anyhow. That was one of his pet peeves about SWG when SOE allowed Wookies to not only be a playable race but jedis as well which is severely non-canon.

So, who else would prefer playable wookiees over voice acting? The bad design choices seem to be adding up.

As for WoW - it does seem to have more racial diversity than SWTOR is likely to.

Ecellent quote, BTW. That Yoda line was the best thing from TPM.

• safetysafety Member Posts: 219

So, who else would prefer playable wookiees over voice acting? The bad design choices seem to be adding up.

As for WoW - it does seem to have more racial diversity than SWTOR is likely to.

One of the things that the old SWG did pull off really well was playable races - Wookie, Bothan, Mon Calamari etc

• safetysafety Member Posts: 219

One of the things that the old SWG did pull off really well was playable races - Wookie, Bothan, Mon Calamari etc

I think it's time for another poll.