Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: Updated Bright Wizard and Sorceress Balance Changes

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Patch 1.3.6 was set to bring a number of significant balance changes to WAR, however, several of these simply could not wait and have been pushed forward to go live with patch 1.3.5. The changes being pushed up address the issue of PBAOE "Bomb" groups, as the developers anticipated that this tactic would really throw off the new City Siege experience.

For the unfamiliar, PBAOE Bomb groups basically consist of several players supporting a single Bright Wizard or Sorceress as they run into groups of enemies and deal serious amounts of PBAOE damage. Normally, the Bright Wizard and Sorceress would suffer too much damage trying to do this due to their class mechanic, but with enough healing support they can trivialize the effects on the mechanic and wipe out entire groups of players.

Read below for the upcoming changes to Scorched Earth and Surging Pain:

• Bright Wizard:  Scorched Earth now costs 20 Combustion instead of Action Points.  Additionally, this ability no longer builds Combustion when used.

• Sorcerer:  Surging Pain now costs 20 Dark Magic instead of Action Points.  Additionally, this ability no longer builds Dark Magic when used.

In short, you won't be able to "charge your laser" as I call it by using Scorched Earth or Surging Pain anymore, and you'll only have up to five casts before you run out of mojo anyways. These are some pretty significant, but I bet many will agree, needed changes.

View the announcement here.

[Thanks Christopher8 for the tip!]

Comments

• Player_420Player_420 Member Posts: 686

This has been happening forever in this game, but usually its just 10 bright wizards, its not like order play any other classes. Just a bunch of bright wizard AOE spam ftw, I have seen groups of 15+ with a couple warrior priests. Plus isnt this literally the 5 millionth patch adressing these "aoe issues?"

I play all ghame

• cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445

Awesome! now that they balanced the bright wizard, finally they can release the other 2 capital cities that they promised at launch! Maybe they will even  fix the engine so we can play 200 v 200 like they promised at launch, at this rate this game will be awesome by 2017!

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

It's an interesting change.

Frankly, the main issue has always been an organized group vs PUGs. People who don't organize want organization nerfed to uselessness. Same deal with premades in instanced PvP.

ADDED:

What should have been done from the start is have combustion (and the Sorc analog) blowback (if it activates) as a chance to DIE - not just take some damage.

ALSO ADDED:

"the developers anticipated that this tactic would really throw off the new City Siege experience."

What? The devs anticipated an issue? New hires?

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

will probably level the chance a bit since the are having new content !that might abuse this thing(lol they probably always did but hopefully it should now be at a proper level

• GreenLanternFanGreenLanternFan Member Posts: 374

I know quite a few people that left Warhammer for that reason alone.

Your fail comment, failed.

• GreenLanternFanGreenLanternFan Member Posts: 374

I should clarity that I meant they left Warhammer because of the PBAoE bomb group exploit/problem.

Your fail comment, failed.

• XKhallusXXKhallusX Member Posts: 31

they should have just mirrored the classes LONG ago

• vonbose0vonbose0 Member UncommonPosts: 23

OH my god! Did Andy get fired? He would go around the office just daring anyone to say something bad about bright wizards and if they even looked at him wrong he would slap them in the face like a woman.

This is a nice balance the Bombhammer age of bright wizards.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by XKhallusX

they should have just mirrored the classes LONG ago

I completely agree.

Their notion of balancing realm vs realm was ridiculous. The only way it could have worked was to limit PvP to 12v12 - and limit it to one of each and every class. Even that would only have worked once the four missing classes were added.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• pktgumbypktgumby Member UncommonPosts: 2

This would have been an AWESOME balancing patch....had it occurred in September/October 2008.

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

I actually quit after leveling up a sorc and BW and seeing just how OP they were compared to everything else. My main had been a chosen i got to 40 before i tried this. I admit it was actually fun to play these classes but it was pretty much at the expense of every other class.

• HellbabeHellbabe Member UncommonPosts: 13

too late for this change.....and if they do it, like they wrote, i dont believe...sry but i quit this game too late, and have much more fun in other games... (and its the only game, were aoe have more dmg than a single spell....

• storm-dragonstorm-dragon Member Posts: 157

Too little too late.

Pamala Anderson couldn't blow life back into this game.

This sword here at my side dont act the way it should
    Keeps calling me its master, but I feel like its slave
    Hauling me faster and faster to an early, early grave
    And it howls! it howls like hell!

• Tingtong1Tingtong1 Member UncommonPosts: 22

time to close the WAR chapter and start making Dark Age of Camelot 2, or Camelot Reborn with updated engine and new content!

I would pay $30/month if the brought DAOC back from the dead.

• RedtahRedtah Member Posts: 23

basically i agree with ver post so far, just DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE ALREADY WARHAMMER AGE OF WORST BALANCE AND DEVELOPERS ONLINE

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Like many games we might not like it but, it is not going to die. Sure it never made the kinda money they wanted it to but, it has a similar subscriber base to games like SWG and COH. As long as they can turn even a moderate profit the game will limp along.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

1.5 years later???? LMAO!!

Leave it to Mythic. Too little, too late.

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448

Yeah... this has been going on since before the game launched. There was a well-known BW on my server named "Dissb", and he and his support group would dominate scenarios to the point that I would just stop playing. Eventually I just unsubbed because there was really no point in playing if that guy was online. UNBELIEVEABLE that Mythinc just now decided to fix this. Worst imbalance I have ever seen in an MMO.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

This had nothing to do with orginization or anything. This was grab a bunch of BWs, maybe A healer or two. Win.

Did sorc do a lot of damage? Yes. But the few extra mechancis that Sorc got made them better. Healing debuff? Debuff to the DAMAGE type they do?

Anyways, way to little, way to late. The game coulda been so much fun.

• gszebegszebe Member UncommonPosts: 214

I like this

• ComplicationComplication Member Posts: 209

i agree with everyone elses hatred for this game. it fuckin sucks. t1 is nothing but twink guilds raping pugs and every other tier is a ghosttown.

PULL THE PLUG!

and i played DAoC again for nostalgia. god damn mythic ass raped that game too. MYTHIC SUCKS

• vasilchovasilcho Member Posts: 42

yeah cause SE/SP is the biggest issue with mages, it might be a step in the right direction but balance will still be fcked up

• gszebegszebe Member UncommonPosts: 214

Originally posted by Complication

i agree with everyone elses hatred for this game. it fuckin sucks. t1 is nothing but twink guilds raping pugs and every other tier is a ghosttown.

PULL THE PLUG!

and i played DAoC again for nostalgia. god damn mythic ass raped that game too. MYTHIC SUCKS

You've apparently no idea what you are talking about...

• LazerouLazerou Member Posts: 202

Originally posted by gszebe

Originally posted by Complication

PULL THE PLUG!

You've apparently no idea what you are talking about...

Actually his argument is extremely cogent.

• ninjajucerninjajucer Member Posts: 219

I used to play WAR and unsubbed for the very fact that BWs could level a group of anything in a matter of seconds. Add to that all the other classes on order that used to be able to stun, knockdown, knockup, rinse and repeat til your dead, and the game became seriously not fun. No point in coming back at this point. Nearly 2 years and still have 4 missing capital cities, generic races (skaven would have been better), completely unbalanced classes, boring gameplay, and broken city raids. The game should be left to fade away.

As for DAoC, I will always treasure my memories of that game pre-SI edition. Now its just a mish mash of who has the best connections to get the best artifacts for their battleground twinks. What was a story driven MMO, rich in myths and legends, has devolved into a useless pvp fest in battlegrounds and little else.