Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Possible Playable Races, Part One

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Based on yesterday's announcement of The Old Republic's first non-human race, MMORPG.com's Michael Bitton kicks off a series that examines what some of the other possibilities might be.

Yesterday saw the unveiling of the first playable species to be featured in Star Wars: The Old Republic: the Rattataki. You might be asking yourself, “Rattawhatti?” even if you’ve seen all the movies and read a few of the Expanded Universe books. The Rattataki are a race of bald-headed alabaster skinned humanoids whose most notable example is Asajj Ventress from Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

For Star Wars fans, I’d argue this is a fairly odd and obscure choice to include in the game as a playable race and it has given me some pause, as I can’t think of any reason to include the race other than to tie-in to the new-ish Clone Wars series and film, however, that is neither here nor there, so let’s take a look at some of the races we’d like to see in Star Wars: The Old Republic and examine their likelihood of appearing within the game.

Read Possible Playable Races, Part One.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• reillanreillan Member UncommonPosts: 247

There are really only a few races that people will really *want* to play, and they are based largely on what main characters existed in the movies.  You can bet that we will have:

1. Wookies

2. Twi'leks

3. Sullustans

4. Mon Calamari

We may even see Jar-Jar's race in there, but I seriously hope not.

What races we probably won't have:

1. Ewoks (since most of the republic didn't meet them until RotJ)

2. Jawas (since there's no character customization)

3. Tuskens (ditto)

4. Yoda's race, whatever the heck that is
  • MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by reillan

There are really only a few races that people will really *want* to play, and they are based largely on what main characters existed in the movies.  You can bet that we will have:

1. Wookies

2. Twi'leks

3. Sullustans

4. Mon Calamari

We may even see Jar-Jar's race in there, but I seriously hope not.

I have no issue with Gungans in general - just Jar Jar. He gives Gungans a bad name.

What races we probably won't have:

1. Ewoks (since most of the republic didn't meet them until RotJ)

2. Jawas (since there's no character customization)

3. Tuskens (ditto)

4. Yoda's race, whatever the heck that is

Yeah. I was wondering about that, too.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

Why wouldn't I want race variety even if it does turn out to be what you say Izure?

• MandaloreMandalore Member UncommonPosts: 131

I think  Wookies and Twi'leks are a safe bet, they are iconic and human-like enough. Its a kind of "orcs" and "elves" ^^

Some of these races i hope will make it into the game:

Most of them are humanoid and i think that this is very important for BioWare - so the more unusual races have no real chance ;)

Edit: Added links to pictures of the races (source: jedipedia.de), that may help those that are not so familar with the expanded SW universe :)

-------------------------------------
     Playing: Overwatch, Genshin Impact, Black Desert Mobile, Hundred Soul, Cyberpunk 2077
     Inactive: WAR, DAoC, RIFT, GW1/2, TSW, Age of Wulin, Black Desert, Blade & Soul, Skyforge

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

no one want mandalorians? I guess it still would exist some of then for this timeline

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • VladanVladan Member UncommonPosts: 36

Originally posted by Mandalore

Most of them are humanoid and i think that this is very important for BioWare - so the more unusual races have no real chance ;)

Which unfortunately means that we probably won't be getting Ithorians :(

Originally posted by Vladan

Which unfortunately means that we probably won't be getting Ithorians :(

"This deal is getting worse all the time." - Lando Calrissian

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by alkarionlog

no one want mandalorians? I guess it still would exist some of then for this timeline

I have 21 races planned out, seven of which you saw today, there will be more! Stay tuned next week!

• ZerakusZerakus Member Posts: 19

Kel Dor is my favourite, their look is quite awesome.. and look.. well.. alien, it's pretty hard to classify them, andthey've had several appearances in TOR-related material.

Originally posted by MikeB

I have 21 races planned out, seven of which you saw today, there will be more! Stay tuned next week!

You could be a lead MMO dev with lines like that, Mike.

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

You could be a lead MMO dev with lines like that, Mike.

ROFL. Wow, now you're scaring me. I seriously do have more for you though! This won't be vaporware, I promise!

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

Currently hoping for one species and I believe there is a good chance they will be added:

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

ROFL. Wow, now you're scaring me. I seriously do have more for you though! This won't be vaporware, I promise!

I guess I should stay subbed, then.

;)

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

My top three choices are:

3. Wookies (cause Chewie and Zalbar are both kewl.)

2. Chiss (Grand Admiral Thrawn in da hizouse.)

1. Twi'lek (which I'm pretty sure will be in the game, 100% guarenteed.)

Mandalorians are pretty much humans. I bet you can get Mandalorian armour in the game at the very least.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Can you say... STO-style race DLCs? :D

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Originally posted by Methos12

Please no...

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Originally posted by Xondar123

Mandalorians are pretty much humans. I bet you can get Mandalorian armour in the game at the very least.

yes looks like one but have better stamina and strenght, also they use implants to heal then over time or augment another atribute, but in any case we will see XD

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • ConjureOneConjureOne Member UncommonPosts: 233

I, for one, would love to play a MANDALORIAN, they are BADASS :}

• ZouronZouron Member Posts: 2

Ohh I guess I am the only one who wants to play a Jawa, they are simply too cute!

• safetysafety Member Posts: 219

Is this what the mmorpg.com had descended to? Fanboi wishlists? This used to be the go-to site for real journalism about real news in the gaming industry and then real discussions that didn't get closed down just because they criticised a game in which the Community Manager was emotionally invested.

SAVE US, JON WOOD! YOU'RE OUR ONLY HOPE!

Originally posted by Xondar123

Please no...

I'm inclined to agree, but SW really has a wealth of races, and given how BioWare's lately been fixated on DLCs when it comes to ME2 and DAO, I see this as a possible path they could take to get some more money. After all, haven't there already been some talks about  "alternate payment methods" to maybe be used in TOR?

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • reillanreillan Member UncommonPosts: 247

I think  Wookies and Twi'leks are a safe bet, they are iconic and human-like enough. Its a kind of "orcs" and "elves" ^^

Some of these races i hope will make it into the game:

Noghri are extremely unlikely, as they were completely non-technological until Thrawn came on the scene (similar to Ewok as a playable race).  Since this is many thousands of years before that, I doubt we'll see them.

Most of the rest of those would be fine.  #1 on the list is #1 in highest probability, too, since that race was at least mentioned in the movies.

I have to admit I'm a little bit perplexed right now... why Rattataki? Is there something special about them that I'm missing or are they a clear marketing choice because of Ventress and her role in The Clone Wars cartoon? Other than that, they seem like a very bland almost-human race.

I have to admit I'm a little bit perplexed right now... why Rattataki? Is there something special about them that I'm missing or are they a clear marketing choice because of Ventress and her role in The Clone Wars cartoon? Other than that, they seem like a very bland almost-human race.

Yep. I felt it was just a random marketing choice -- which doesn't really bode well for me given the history of Star Wars Galaxies and all the odd marketing choice tie-ins.