Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark Age of Camelot: What if... Dark Age of Camelot 2

Comments

• TharkisTharkis Member CommonPosts: 20

Originally posted by Garvon3

Originally posted by Polarisation

Originally posted by Garvon3

Originally posted by Polarisation

TOA never killed DAOC, WOW did. Various records of player stats clearly show this. DAOC simply got old.

Every time I go back to DAOC to check it out, I always end up quitting not because of the game, rather the old/kludgey UI and movement controls.

You seem to be the only one that thinks that.

The UI is fully customizable (and has absolutely everything you could ever need, I have no idea what's clunky about the vanilla UI). In fact, it was the first MMO to have this, not WoW. 

And the controls are also completely customizable as well, and more reponsive combat wise than any MMO I've played since (especially LotRO, ugh) 

WoW is not even remotely the same kind of game that DAoC is, and frankly, at launch it didn't do anything better than DAoC did either. 

It's very clear that /level 20 made the population stop increasing, ToA made the veterans leave/become disgruntled, they tried it, they didn't like it. Then New Frontiers launched, and that was the last straw. DAoC has been in a downward spiral since. 

Most people that I know that did leave for WoW just came right back, as they'd been there and done that already. 

Who cares what (stupid) people think? Evidence is what matters.

TOA came out in Oct, 2003. Subs then went up and plateaud (as in - did not go down at all) for over one whole year until WOW came out at the end of 2004, which then caused DAOC's subs to plummet like a stone.

DAOC UI and movement mechanics are horrid. You can't bind arbitrary keys/mouse controls to arbitrary actions, base character movement is horrid (even after having buffed the hell out of when WOW came out), character movement lag is so common that using it to your advantage is part of standard gameplay (lag-casting, spiralling).

Man, I'm starting to wonder if you ever played DAoC. 

Yes, ToA wasn't a big deal at all, I mean, it's not like Mythic launched classic servers excluding the entire Trials of Atlantis expansion pack due to public outcry, its not like these servers were the most populated for years. 

Know what else launched in late 2004 that most people didn't like? 

New Frontiers. 

Know what New Frontiers emphasized? How unbalanced the game had become with the ToA items. 

Check mate. 

And I still have no idea what's wrong with the UI, its FULLY CUSTOMIZABLE. The ENTIRE thing, not that you even need it, there's nothing WRONG with it. 

As for the controls, funny, DAoC had a long list of control setups, one is the EXACT same setup used for WoW. Guess WoW controls suck too. 

I beg to differ. You can't customize the way windows work, such as combining your inventory into 1 window. You can't change the functionality of any part of the ui. Sure you can move it around, color it, give it prettier graphics but you can't actually get rid of the annoying aspects of the UI. You can't add much to it, and to be honest they started allowing what customization you can do a bit too late. By then half the people (myself included, because I released one of the first skin packs) were fed up with TOA and the game in general.. Good players like us left because we got sick of a lot of the crap that mythic forced down our throats. TOA, NF, /level, etc..

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

Ahh yes... SWG... I was playing both SWG and Daoc at one point ...

I never left after TOA ... I stayed until Lab came out ... Second one on my server with a level 50 Mauler thanks to Moderna ... after SC'ing on my MP armor set and was still getting raped after testing and respecing like 4 times.... I gave up ... I hated the fact that all 3 realms got Mino's ... not very creative. I know its dumb.. staying through all the BS with ToA just to leave over something Cosmetic

I also stayed after the CU in SWG... just couldnt grind the jedi

• TharkisTharkis Member CommonPosts: 20

Originally posted by stormtide

Originally posted by aaclayton

A reboot of DAoC would be a great day for MMO gaming, but it would be tricky for it to avoid the same pitfalls that hurt it and other games. I think there are alot of good mechanisms from newer games that might be worth including, but also alot of freshly popular game concepts that I think DAoC was, and still would be well enough without. If I were in charge of the project's direction, I would envision it in this way:

General:

Keep:

* The same class/race combinations as original daoc, no expansion classes or races (yet?).

* Original character customization (different races have different stats, players can allocate stat points at creation).

Get Rid Of: 

* Everything that came after original DAoC, examine each expansion individually, and incorporate only the best elements from each.

Add:

* A graphics overhaul, updating DAoC's beautiful mechanics with an equally pretty facade.

* Highly customizable skill trees, with rewards that scale with depth of investment.

* Controllable mounts

* Collision detection

PvE:

Keep:

* The world of DAoC vanilla, including different starting villages, horse routes, and iconic dungeons. 

* The dragon fights as a source of endgame equipment.

* Class based epic quests; doing these every 5 levels was a fun and guaranteed way to meaningfully upgrade an inventory slot. 

* Unique class specific epic armor sets in endgame. Make them a bit more powerful to be competitive with player crafted. 

* Dynamic XP bonuses (group, camp, etc..)

Get Rid Of: 

* The clunky conversation interface and quest journal. Replace it with a simple user friendly one. Alot of players avoided quests simply because keeping track of what to do was such a hassle, and almost required looking up quest spoilers online. DON'T switch to the other end of the spectrum, where you put a red circle on the map showing exactly where to go. Keep the mystery there, but make it clear enough that you can figure it out on your own. 

* Tasks. There is enough content in the world that the player doesn't need to let an NPC tell him what to farm. 

* Instances. 

Add:

* A second meaningful raid or group encounter (dungeon?) in previously underutilized zones like Llyn Barfog, Vanern Swamp, and the Cursed Forest. 

* Public Quests in wilderness areas and dungeons. 

* Boss monsters with unique abilities, rather than simply mobs that hit harder and have more HP. 

* In game maps

* Something similar to WAR's Tome of Knowledge that tracks the player's accomplishments and stats. 

RvR

Keep:

* A world similar to the original frontiers.

* Milegates and other non-objective fortifications (ruins, towers, etc..)

* Darkness Falls and the keep control system

* Relics

* Improvements in CC resistance (charge, determination, purge)

* Meaningful realm abilities

* Player stat tracking

* Low level battlegrounds (non-instanced).

Get Rid Of:

* New Frontier's emphasis on keep siege, make keeps important, but not paramount. 

Add: 

* Better siege mechanics.

Social

Keep: 

* Player and guild housing. 

Get Rid Of: 

* Having to run to someone's house to buy an item.

Add: 

* Simple, but functional looking for group, and looking for guild panels.

* Guild levels with perks (banners, easier crafting, guild hall...)

* Guild experience mechanics that scale with size to not discourage small guilds while rewarding zergers. 

This is by no means comprehensive, but it's what immediately springs to mind when I think about what I would want to see in a DAoC rebirth. I really hope that some day this vision comes to fruition, but I'm a bit jaded by the trends of recent MMO releases to be overly optimistic. 

I can't be bothered to look it up specifically, but someone earlier in this discussion noted that ex-DAOC players are the most difficult group of MMO gamers to satisfy. I think that's probably true. Those of us who loved DAoC experienced the best MMO that has been made to date, and unfortunately we had to watch it be suffocated by poor design decisions, and the WoW hype machine. I'm sure there are thousands of gamers like me who would leap at the chance to relive the glory of DAoC. 

I hope that Mythic recognizes what a gem they have in Dark Age of Camelot, and can convince the powers that be at EA and BioWare to let them reincarnate it into the game we all want to see. 

This x100000000000

If I could give this post a +20 I would.. I wholeheartedly agree with 99.9% of what you said.. The only thing I dissagree with is the map hints. I think many of the quest texts from the original system were either wrong, incomplete or outright vague in thier descriptions of where to find a certain mob to kill.. I remember several instances of having to look online only to find a hint that said, "the mob is somewhere else the quest text is wrong".

I miss the old days of DAOC, and yes I judge every MMO I play by the standards DAOC set. I considered Warhammer to be the successor of DAOC since it was being developed by Mythic. (That and you don't hear anything about Imperator anymore). I am highly suspect anything will become of DAOC2.. I'm not even sure I'd be ok with a "fixing" of DAOC unless they started with the original game and updated the functionality and kept the graphical updates.

• AngorimAngorim Member Posts: 466

Originally posted by Tharkis

Originally posted by stormtide

Originally posted by aaclayton

A reboot of DAoC would be a great day for MMO gaming, but it would be tricky for it to avoid the same pitfalls that hurt it and other games. I think there are alot of good mechanisms from newer games that might be worth including, but also alot of freshly popular game concepts that I think DAoC was, and still would be well enough without. If I were in charge of the project's direction, I would envision it in this way:

General:

Keep:

* The same class/race combinations as original daoc, no expansion classes or races (yet?).

* Original character customization (different races have different stats, players can allocate stat points at creation).

Get Rid Of: 

* Everything that came after original DAoC, examine each expansion individually, and incorporate only the best elements from each.

Add:

* A graphics overhaul, updating DAoC's beautiful mechanics with an equally pretty facade.

* Highly customizable skill trees, with rewards that scale with depth of investment.

* Controllable mounts

* Collision detection

PvE:

Keep:

* The world of DAoC vanilla, including different starting villages, horse routes, and iconic dungeons. 

* The dragon fights as a source of endgame equipment.

* Class based epic quests; doing these every 5 levels was a fun and guaranteed way to meaningfully upgrade an inventory slot. 

* Unique class specific epic armor sets in endgame. Make them a bit more powerful to be competitive with player crafted. 

* Dynamic XP bonuses (group, camp, etc..)

Get Rid Of: 

* The clunky conversation interface and quest journal. Replace it with a simple user friendly one. Alot of players avoided quests simply because keeping track of what to do was such a hassle, and almost required looking up quest spoilers online. DON'T switch to the other end of the spectrum, where you put a red circle on the map showing exactly where to go. Keep the mystery there, but make it clear enough that you can figure it out on your own. 

* Tasks. There is enough content in the world that the player doesn't need to let an NPC tell him what to farm. 

* Instances. 

Add:

* A second meaningful raid or group encounter (dungeon?) in previously underutilized zones like Llyn Barfog, Vanern Swamp, and the Cursed Forest. 

* Public Quests in wilderness areas and dungeons. 

* Boss monsters with unique abilities, rather than simply mobs that hit harder and have more HP. 

* In game maps

* Something similar to WAR's Tome of Knowledge that tracks the player's accomplishments and stats. 

RvR

Keep:

* A world similar to the original frontiers.

* Milegates and other non-objective fortifications (ruins, towers, etc..)

* Darkness Falls and the keep control system

* Relics

* Improvements in CC resistance (charge, determination, purge)

* Meaningful realm abilities

* Player stat tracking

* Low level battlegrounds (non-instanced).

Get Rid Of:

* New Frontier's emphasis on keep siege, make keeps important, but not paramount. 

Add: 

* Better siege mechanics.

Social

Keep: 

* Player and guild housing. 

Get Rid Of: 

* Having to run to someone's house to buy an item.

Add: 

* Simple, but functional looking for group, and looking for guild panels.

* Guild levels with perks (banners, easier crafting, guild hall...)

* Guild experience mechanics that scale with size to not discourage small guilds while rewarding zergers. 

This is by no means comprehensive, but it's what immediately springs to mind when I think about what I would want to see in a DAoC rebirth. I really hope that some day this vision comes to fruition, but I'm a bit jaded by the trends of recent MMO releases to be overly optimistic. 

I can't be bothered to look it up specifically, but someone earlier in this discussion noted that ex-DAOC players are the most difficult group of MMO gamers to satisfy. I think that's probably true. Those of us who loved DAoC experienced the best MMO that has been made to date, and unfortunately we had to watch it be suffocated by poor design decisions, and the WoW hype machine. I'm sure there are thousands of gamers like me who would leap at the chance to relive the glory of DAoC. 

I hope that Mythic recognizes what a gem they have in Dark Age of Camelot, and can convince the powers that be at EA and BioWare to let them reincarnate it into the game we all want to see. 

This x100000000000

If I could give this post a +20 I would.. I wholeheartedly agree with 99.9% of what you said.. The only thing I dissagree with is the map hints. I think many of the quest texts from the original system were either wrong, incomplete or outright vague in thier descriptions of where to find a certain mob to kill.. I remember several instances of having to look online only to find a hint that said, "the mob is somewhere else the quest text is wrong".

I miss the old days of DAOC, and yes I judge every MMO I play by the standards DAOC set. I considered Warhammer to be the successor of DAOC since it was being developed by Mythic. (That and you don't hear anything about Imperator anymore). I am highly suspect anything will become of DAOC2.. I'm not even sure I'd be ok with a "fixing" of DAOC unless they started with the original game and updated the functionality and kept the graphical updates.

I agree almost whole-heartedly, with a an exception or two.

They added controllable horse mounts in game.  The only thing I would add to this list would be faster action to character response, including movement and overhauling (see: smoothing out and streamlining) both combat and movement.

Otherwise, thinking of these changes made me smile only to realize it'll never happen.

• SensaiSensai Member UncommonPosts: 220

I have to disagree with the digs on the combat in DAoC.  I loved the combat and still prefer it to any mmorpg on the market.  WHile WoW "feels" better and is easier to get into, DAoC combat and controls took you some time to adjust or readjust to.  But once you did, it was very precise which I loved.  And actually knowing when you blocked or parried because you clearly saw the animation and heard the metal of your shield or weapon clack to fend-off a blow . . . priceless.  And the heavy use of reactionary skills were great, it made the game more reactionary and fluid.  In the WoW era, most every class has a skill/style progression where everyone is using the exact same skills at the same time.

And while the ToA argument doesnt matter really, the mix of ToA, NF, and WoW together killed DAoC.  And using subscription numbers does not prove anyone's point as 1. Not all of those numbers were official and 2. Those numbers did not account for lagging subscriptions and multi-term (month) subscriptions that kept going though no one was playing.  WoW would have killed the game regardless, but without NF and ToA, it would have taken at least a year longer.

Also, the huge number of classes were part of what made the game great.  While you had mirrors for the most part in the other two realms, every class was unique enough to make it a completely different experience.  And having 3 separate realms made rerolling fun as each realm was very different and took on an "attitude" of its own.  This transfered to RvR as well, for better or worse.

Finally, a graphics update of sort has already been played with: http://mharjula.blogspot.com/  All the screenshots on that site are a rendering of existing DAoC zones using the Crysis engine.  Clearly, the game can look pretty damn good with the right settings and engine.  Making it stable and accommodating for hundreds of people in one area is another matter, but it goes to show you what just one person came up with in his spare time.  Imagine a competent development team.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

Okay, I had to get in on this discussion.  I played DAoC for over 5 years and LOVED IT.  I joined with 4 friends and continued to play LONG after they had moved on.  I finally left after the populations was going way down and I felt as though I had already done everything and there wasn't much left to do.

That being said, I still remember that game very very fondly.  I loved Mythic so much back then that I wanted to marry them and have little lepruchan babies that would play in our Hibernian backyard.  When Warhammer came out, what I wanted badly was DAoC 2, but that never happened.

Recently, a friend of mine was so bored that he pressured me to go back and play DAoC, which is still running.  I hadn't played in so long that I was against ruining all of the good memories that I had, but he was insistent.  The servers have been condensed and combined to the point where the population feels extremely close now to what it did back in the day.  The gameplay is extremely dated by today's standards though and after wandering around through the misty water colored memories for a while, I logged off again, saddened that I could never really go back.  Some aspects still hold up really well, while others just seem very out of date.

A few things I would NOT want in DAoC 2 would be the RIDICULOUS crowd control.  The most frustrating part of the game is that many many fights in the frontier ended without you being able to take a single swing at the enemy because they would time their CC so that you were completely unable to fight.

Also, casters that can't cast once melee reaches you.  Basically, you were helpless once melee got up to you and stealthers always started right next to you.  It was a lesson in frustration that never ended.

I loved the variety of classes, but like the author stated, there were so many that balancing them all was just plain impossible.  Also, the stealthers were so overpowered that they had to be nerfed just to bring them down to ridiculous.

Combat was so lethal that a 1v1 fight would often be over in only a few seconds.  When I think of how much running and jumping and crap I do in WoW, the stand in one place and do your combos style seems like it's time is past.

One thing that I really loved was the reactive combo styles, though.  You would queue a primary and secondary combat move and if the first one failed, your second one was an anytime move.  Nothing else seems to match the fun and skill of that combat system these days.

Well, i could go on forever, but I at least wanted to add my comment, seeing as DAoC was the first game I truly loved.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

I too read those forums once in a while, but never subscribed until i saw this topic.

Funny because i called last week to EA/Mythic to get my username for my account, i intend to go back for that 10 days, just because i miss DAoC too much, i also compare any MMORPG to DAoC, and none come close to it.

Would i buy DAoC2 or even return to DAoC ? Yes absolutely.

(off topic, i was Bowbow, a hunter on merlin/midgard so if any old friends see this post, or if any of you want to discuss DAoC for fun, or like my points of view, feel free to contact me via email

Before i keep going, i just want to mention that being french, i'll do my best to explain what i mean or feel, it just might take more words for it :)

DAoC was and still is my favorite game of all times, MMO and solo games altogether. Here are my reasons why i so loved DAoC.

It had basically a good mix of everything, you could do PvE solo, or in group, both were good, and both had their charms. being a human, i have different moods, so sometimes i'd prefer to go solo, sometimes i'd prefer being grouped. crafting was long, but it was fun too, housing was great Battlegrounds, was SO fun ( still remember my 1st one, i was litterally shaking with excitement). Scouting RvR to report any activities was so cool, everyone on FOOT was great too ( i love mounts in WAR, but still, gotta hate when you run on feet to escape, a destro pops out a mount from his back pocket and chase you down lol....nonsense)

Leveling was indeed a bit too long at times, but it wasnt a big deal, i mean come on, one of the main aspect of an RPG is leveling, and i remember that above 40, when you said "DING 43" in public chat or guild chat, you were HAPPY ! you were one step closer to be 50 and be an RVR grown-up lol. It could be around 15% faster it wouldnt hurt, but i wouldnt mind if it stayed long as it is.

Buffbots ? i didnt really mind

RvR, IMHO, was absolutely perfect, before NF. even tho i didnt like NF, i have to admit that i got used to it after a while, although i would have prefered they never made it the way it was. It had some good features, but the main reason i think i didnt like it was that it made realm population imbalances more flagrant.

Gank or being Ganked, thats all about RPGs and MMOs. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. My main was a kobold hunter, and for quite sometimes, a lot of people considered this class to be one of the weakest, but i loved playing it. i don't think that anyone should (although i respect and understand those who do), complain about imbalances in classes. If every human on the planet is different, we like different things, we hate different things, but in MMORPGs the big factor is that we play differently. So lets talk about classes and classes imbalances...

DAoC had the best variety of classes, ever. although my favorite one was the hunter, i also loved to play my troll warrior,my 2 shamans (one buff shaman and the other was with the poison dot spec line) my SM, of course my fire wizard, and some of the classes on the alb side. overall there was about 30-40 classes on DAoC and i can honestly say that i absolutely loved 8-10 of them, like quite a few others, and didnt like to play 10 or so. On WAR, i like (not love) 2 classes, period: Bright Wizard and White lion.

Important point here. CLASSES were basically ALL DIFFERENT ! i dont recall that there was a counter-attack for every other class when you played one, it is totally normal to not be able to fight and win agaisnt every other classes. You had to choose your battle, know your terrain. A lot of people complains (not bithcing anyone here, just stating facts)about classes imbalances when they cant win agaisnt that class, most of the time. The way i see it, in DAoC at least, when you met a certain player that really knew how to play his character, it seemed indeed imbalanced, because of one factor that i think isnt there in WAR or WoW; the human factor... DAoC left room to the human factor, the talent, the FEELING ! Battles took time (often anyways) for many reasons, but nonetheless was far more better than WAR is. DAoC was the last true MMORPG, now its only MMO/action games. i mean come on, MMORPG has RPG in it, and i'm not talking about the role playing part itself (talking someone else and all), but the feeling attached to the tabletop RPGs where fighting was long, where you had time to think (at least a little time sometimes lol), the excitement, the expectation, the adrenaline rush etc. i never found that again in any other game since DAoC...ever. WAR REALLY disappointed me... i played DAOC nearly 4 years, stopped due to change IRL, not because any of the good/bad changes they made. i played WAR for 2...maybe 3 months, and the last month was trying some classes, hoping that i d learn to like the game...it didnt work.

One other thing about your characters in DAoC...you could PERSONALISE them :) you had the basic stats set to a certaint amount, (according to your class and race), but after that you had points you could put wherever you liked! and same thing at each level afterward. Other games nowadays basically offers 1 character per class, cloned for everyone. PQs and quests offer same item for everyone. Characters were different because people are different, that left room for personalisation, and personality. (realising right now that i prefer to take time to talk about DAoC then play WAR atm, wich says alot). Each character was TRULY unique, even tho you would see alot of people asking on public chat "how should i spec my ?", the way you played your toon, the items it had the stat you had made them all different after that, it was up to you to tune it the way you like, play it the way you like.

CC was ok, it made it, like alot of people mentionned, more strategic to play, although you didnt need to be a brain surgeon to play DAoC, strategy felt more real in it than other MMOs.

UI was good too, it did the job, and imho i dont need (heck i dont like) to have to have 20 windows on my screen, i in fact also miss the DAoC UI, it was good for me at least.

The Lore was great, there was a feel to it, WAR has a nice polish, but the raw material underneath seems....well, even though WARHAMMER rpg was there for 25 years+, the online version just don't show that.

Now the flaws, as to why (my opinion only, just sharing my thoughts here, i aint no messiah lol) as to why it almost died:

WoW of course came around when DAoC had problems, maybe Mythic got nervous before WoW came out, and reacted nervously and did wrong moves, like ToA and NF.

ToA isnt the direct cause or at least not the same way ( or not totally the way) that other people mention; many things have to put in consideration:

- population : at only about 2200 people per server(i remember that Merlin server reached 3000 most of the times), you dont go add MORE grounds to cover, that only spread out the people, wich diminish the density of the population, you instead should add more stuff to explore in the already existing land. DAoC had LOTS of empty spots, so the expansions only gave us more empty spots :/ The more expansion they came out with (expansions that gave us new territories to explore) only spreaded us out more. Expansions that happens WITHIN the already existing grounds are ok, (i.e Darkness falls) was perfect, evne though it was "elsewhere" (had to load DF to get in) it was, on the main map, inside the main and first existing land, thus people had to converge toward that spot to get in, and since it wasnt always opened to your realm, you could only go there at certain moments, thus making it a popular destination for lot of people when you could get in.

Spreading players across more land made (sadly), teleportation an almost must, since people were all spreaded apart, it was necessary to give them faster means of transportation to get together wich is good, , but it also killed a part of what made DAoC great: When it first came out, organising a RVR raid needed time and coordination, and acting fast and smart was a factor...the other realm/realms had to also react fast to save their land from invaders. I remember how i felt when i was so far from the RvR zone and someone yelled in public chat " 10 + groups of albs just crossed the MG !" you d run like a crazy mad man, take all the shortcuts you knew to get to a horse, then while rifing on the horse, i'dgo  to the bathroom for a bio break, to the kitchen to refill my glass ( heck even brought the whole 2L of pepsi with me lol), grab some food, cuz you knew you wouldn dare to go afk for a while after that, not until your keeps were safe. Teleportation killed that (RvR call = suicide, teleport and be on site in a flash), No matter how long and well you prepared your RvR raid, the other realms simply could be there WAY too fast. Of course you want to have a battle, meaning you want your ennemy to be there, but not at the cost of annihilating the time and energy put in place to prepare your raid, you want the excitement to not know when or where you will have a fight, what you will be able to capture before they arrive, etc.

NF changed the RvR that people were used to play for many years. Not necessarly in open field battles, but in and around keeps and such. Most of RPG players DONT like major changes. they feel confortable in what they know. Take that away from them, and give them something TOTALLY different, and the reaction will rarely be good. Those 2 things arrived around the time WoW was announced or came out, wich added to the exodus of players.

When Mythic announced WAR, i was SO excited...when it came out i was so disappointed. Maybe Mythic lost control of the content they could put in WAR when they joined EA, maybe they wanted too much to compete to WoW that they tried to make a WoW 2 named WAR, maybe maybe maybe...Not trying to find out who's fault it is, its pointless.

BUT...if most of the decision made toward WAR were taken by EA, then i suggest or want to point out a few things thing...Leave the MMORPG creation in MMORPG and RPG people that plays it, like it, love it, live for it. RPG and MMORPG players are not common video gamers they seek something else, something that only MMO players can understand...sometimes disagree totally lol, but understand. No one would ask to an accountant to create a new recipe, they'd ask a chef. You guys want to make an MMORPG ? hire MMORPG lovers. MMORPG players, are much like LARP players, they complain all the time, they always have something to say, but give them a good game that has a feeling, that allows them to have a unique char, that respect their change of moods by offering lots of classes as in DAoC, balanced or not, they will play...tools to bond with other players that fit their styles, little changes at a time (smart and small), so they can adapt and they ll follow you till death.

If WoW is popular today, cuz its mostly teens that plays it (and are not seeking that same sparkle), those teens will grow older and look for something else, so start making a DAoC2 now, or rework DAoC, then you will have that big piece of the market that you look for.

And trying to make a WoWlike game with WAR was a mistake, for a reason that i mention earlier. RPG players dont like big changes, and WAR isnt very different then WoW, but then again, its not working...why ? cuz its not another game, it looks like another version of the game, so its better for them to stay where they are comfortable then to switch to something thats not different enough to be appealing to them.

A lot of time, money and energy were put in the wrong places in WAR (imo at least). having tome unlocks for winning 10 battles naked is funny, having 1,000 titles choices is cute, but both are pretty damn useless. PvE is too easy, PvP battles are too fast, too expeditive. Getting to places is too easy, too fast, WAR is almost a MMOFPS

DAoC2 or rework DAoC ? absolutely

Why not try something...offer a 3 month free to all ex DAoC players or even to everyone this fall ? you got everyone's email in your database, copy the servers for that time, with a pre ToA/NF version...10 or 14 days is not enuff to get addicted or to learn the ropes enuff for new players to switch to DAoC. when that 3 months is over, send a poll or a list of questions to those who have played during that 3 months, get their opinion (mostly the good points). I mean Mythic, their DAoC fans need it, want it, deserve it :)

Heck i'd join the team if you ask me to :)

Ok, its late, i'm stopping now, even tho i feel like i forgot quite a few things i wanted to talk about,

G'nite everyone, hope to see you all somewhere in the future in a DAoC land, friend or ennemy :)

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

Okay, what I really WOULD love to see in DAoC 2:

Reactive combat styles!!!  Like I said previously, those were so great.  You could queue a reactive combat style and an anytime style to be safe, or queue 2 reactives to take a risk that you were gonna get a big combo off.

COMBOS!!!  I played a Valewalker primarily and my most powerful combo was like 5 moves long.  If I actually got the full thing off it did so much damage that I would be STOKED!!

Seige warfare that was EXCITING!!!  God, I remember defending keeps and sniping through windows to try to keep the Albs and the Mids from capping our keep was so fun.  You could see the door health going down and someone would be trying to repair it and I would be trying to kill the enemies on seige.  It truly was some of the most fun in an MMO.

DARKNESS FALLS!!!!  I remember the excitement of being in DF and seeing the message that the enemy had taken control of it.  You KNEW that they would be sending an extermination squad immediately to our side of the dungeon to wipe us all out.  We had to immediately group together to try to hold them off as long as we could, even though we knew, ultimately, we would all be killed.

CHAMPION LEVELS!!!!  When Mythic introduced Champion Levels instead of just increasing the level cap, it was a great idea.  Funcom is doing the same thing or something similar with the AoC expansion.  Those, combined with all the RVR abilities you got made you feel like you were badass, not because you were just a higher level, but because  you were MORE BADASS!!!

Oh, and this has been said before, but THREE FACTIONS instead of the usual 2.  Out on the frontier fighting your enemy and then suddenly having your OTHER enemy take advantage of the situation by blindsighting whoever was losing or teaming up with you against the hated Albs to wipe them out before shaking your hand and then trying to cut it off when you were the only enemy left.

HOUSING!!  Having my own house that I decorated myself and collected trophies for, where I could work on my crafting.  Wow, that really did feel like home. 

Ah, good times.  I'm sure there are more things, but these are a few.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    World of Warcraft, AoC

After going back and reading all of the posts, I wanted to add a few more things.  Almost everyone hated ToA it seems.  While I wasn't a fan either, the reason I didn't care for it was because of how much of a pain it was to get in on the raids and how long they took.  From the sounds of it, I am in the minority, because I generally prefer to adventure solo and join groups only to accomplish something.  Generally, I like to level alone and then go pvp with everyone else.  That is why ToA annoyed me, you had to sit around waiting for a huge group then go on a giant raid that took soooo long.  That being said, I loved almost every expansion Mythic put out through Labrynth of the Minotaur.  ToA was my least favorite though.

Of the ideas people posted the most intriguing one to me is DAoC REBORN!!!  Instead of a new game, as in, DAoC 2, how about DAoC REBORN, where they take the best aspects of the game, throw the worst crap in the garbage, and pimp the graphics and UI.  Now THAT would make everyone happy I think.  Not only that, but it would be a fraction of the cost of developing from scratch, since most of the legwork has been done already.  That would leave them more time to really do a fantastic job on the details.

The worst problem that surfaced in DAoC was mentioned in passing, but that is diluting the players.  Every MMO thinks that every expansion has to add more new areas and more and more zones.  That makes the old areas ghost towns and the players keep getting spread further and further apart.  I would like to see DAoC Reborn avoid that altogether by keeping the popular areas and throwing the rest in the garbage.  Any expansions that come along would add detail to the popular areas instead of adding more and more new zones to spread people out.

Yes, get rid of instancing; no battlegrounds or instanced dungeons.  You meet a lot of people by chance while working the same dungeon or out wandering around the frontier looking for people to kill.  Being forced to come up with a group before you can even attempt a dungeon makes it a pain, whereas wandering in, pulling some mobs and maybe joining up with some other players who also happen to be there makes it just part of the fun.

Those are my thoughts for now.  DAoC REBORN, people!!!!   Think about it!!!

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• shylock1079shylock1079 Member Posts: 158

I wanted to comment really fast on some of the negativity towards Mythic.  Yes, most didn't like ToA and Frontiers.  But when SI came out..man...it was buggy but they nailed it.  I remember the first time I rode through those giant houses on my autohorse.  My imagination hadn't been captured like that since my first day on Eq's first day.  

And don't get me started about the awesomely arduous (yes at the same time) housing.  

• Hobson101Hobson101 Member Posts: 16

What an utterly exhausting and yet exhilarating read this is.

I was very young when i started playing my first real MMO (Meridian 59) but DAoC was my first true love. I think the ex-girlfriend analogy is very fitting - having slowly grown apart as your goals in life took different paths and wishing things could go back to how it was.

As a player situated in Europe, playing on the US servers was quite a hassle at times (Hib/Perc!) but having beta tested, I fell madly deeply in love with the game and stuck to it.

It was a game that nursed and really awarded realm co-operation and pride. For all its flaws (looking back) it is to date my favourite game ever and I too find myself missing and hoping for many many of the things that made it great.

Allthough the hard interrupts were perhaps one of the bigger flaws in the combat system it put a lot more emphasis on positioning and tactics, even strategy in larger scale warfare than most games to today. The positional an reactionary styles for melee was involving and exciting allthough i wish similar systems were put in use for casters (Aion chains, Warhammer shaman comes to mind)

Having to put effort as a realm to defend the frontiers, or conquer your enemies working for a common goal not just as a guild created a strong sense of community and pride and the non-instanced raids made the world feel alive and exciting. Our first dragon kill is still one of my proudest moments, having massed 250 people at first and finally killing Cuuldrach with 200 people.

While in conlcusion utterly dissapointing, WAR made some great advances in doing the same. Public quests, tome of knowledge and contributing to zone control even at low levels was genious.

In conclusion, a remake or sequel to DAoC, if done right, would in my mind have the prospect of being a huge success, building on three very notable and familiar mythologies as well as sporting some of the absolute best PvP (RvR) gameplay to date.

Since the invention of the internet the worlds rotation has been solely propelled by English teachers rolling over in their graves.

MMO player since Meridian 59

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

Don't think there will be a DAoC 2 but DAoC 1 with graphics of WAR +  and frequent updates would definately bring in new and old players alike. I support the idea of a DAoC 2. It's been said so many times though so won't go into any great details. Basicly anything with RvRvR and no good or evil and pvp with purpose  is something which is a great option in any game. But seriously, the old game + graphics / tech update with frequent updates is all anyone really wants.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Krendor23Krendor23 Member Posts: 4

Incase anyone hasn't seen this, some neat stuff with a guy that imported DAoC maps to the Crysis engine. It's from a few months ago, but cool none the less.

http://mharjula.blogspot.com/

• Ragnar66Ragnar66 Member Posts: 1

i still love DAoC !!  if there will be DAoC2 it will be my next game !!!

• WarspineWarspine Member Posts: 105

I LOVE THIS NEWS ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I Hope you manage to keep the feeling of sucess when you get a sidestyle or a backstyle in. So it's not just a fontain of numbers flying arounds in different colors. I realy do not like that.

I want a clean hit! 

You sidestyle for 666 damage and the weakass lurries ribs crush like crispbread beneath a bowlingball!

• WarspineWarspine Member Posts: 105

He accualy tryes to redo them himself. I saw them and it was pretty cool But then i realized that DaaaMn thidranki looks small ^^

• LasastardLasastard Member Posts: 604

Well, in conclusion I think most agree that DAoC is one of the best MMOs to date - even if it may not have such a broad appeal as e.g. WOW. Sadly, I don't think that EA Mythic is going to invest another dime into the game, seeing how they struggle to keep WAR afloat. The feeling that I have is that MMOs these days need to foremost make a lot of cash upon release (hypehype) and everything that comes after that is just a bonus. A re-release of DAoC would probably not make huge amounts of money, unless aggressively advertised. And that would mean EA competing against itself (WAR). Some interesting novel ideas aside, DAOC is a much more solid game than WAR ever was (and probably ever will be) - for all the reasons mentioned in this thread. I am actually half-considering buying an account  again... But the game feels somewhat tired to me, the publisher is not really supporting it anymore and it is therefore only a matter of time until the last server will eventually be shut down. So I say "Give DAoC:Reborn!" ...

Originally posted by Krendor23

Incase anyone hasn't seen this, some neat stuff with a guy that imported DAoC maps to the Crysis engine. It's from a few months ago, but cool none the less.

http://mharjula.blogspot.com/

That is pretty damn cool.  To be honest, even with the graphics upgrade, the old, flat terrain still looks a bit dated though.  Seriously though, if some guy is doing this for fun, a small team of 30 like Mythic had back in the day could do wonders with a DAoC Reborn release. 

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• LasastardLasastard Member Posts: 604

There is a difference between converting some maps into something the crytec sandbox can render and changing the engine on which a game is running. The best we could hope for is face-lift using the Warhammer engine (which is, I believe, a somewhat advanced version of the DAoC one).

Just imagine 200vs200 keep fights using the crytec engine... and now add exploding computers and melting gfx cards to that mental picture.

• PedrobPedrob Member UncommonPosts: 172

Originally posted by Torak

Totally disagree with the article. DAoC does NOT need a sequel, it needs a graphic / tech upgrade which is doable. Sequels have a HORRIBLE MMO track record

Fans do not want a new game, they want the old game with improvements and upgrades. EVE and City of Heroes are perfect examples of this. That has been made clear so many times it's not funny, only the MMO nomads want brand new sequels so they can rip them to pieces.

DAoC is made with Gamebryo engine, the newer versions of this engine have been used to make Fallout 3, Warhammer and Oblivion.

A new game would be corrupted by todays market expectations and nothing good will come of it. 

Upgrading DAoC would cost a fraction of a new title.

MMOs and sequels just don't work out that well. In the end we will end up with a buffoon game like Warhammer.

I'll have to agree with Torak here.

Also as painful as ToA was, it was doable, those that gave up early missed on a lot, ToA became an after thought when dedicated PvE'ers would run entire ML raids in primetime with everything ready and holding all items needed, heck I remember co-hosting with Lyli (Hib-Kay) a ML8 and we capped the BG at 200, this made it go so much faster when everything died oh so fast.

As for NF, yes I was also one of those Emain open RvR players, in those days I was in Alb as a Cleric, and yes the change from OF to NF was overwhelming, at first. And while NF was more centered toward keeps, there were still "hot spots" that were used for open RvR, specially around all the Towers in the 3 realms that were surrounded by ruins. And the keep sieges was actually quite fun from a melee point of view (I ended up spending most of my years as a Mid Zerk in Gareth), and all that led to Relic Raids which by themselves they are fun because once you open the Relic Gates, it's all open RvR all over the map, from the main force clashing with the main defenders, to defender groups running blocking reinforcements, setting traps, etc.

It's a shame all the ones that jumped ship after NF released, had they given it the chance, they would have liked it. I for one have to say I was lucky to have an active guild with active RvR leaders that always took whoever was on, regardless of group balance, and go out there and fight (Thanks Mystchivious - Skald) :)

For the CC complainers, it's part of the game, part of the mechanic, can't be pure straight fight all the time, good PvP has tactics, takes longer than 5mins, CC helped in doing that, yes we all banged our desk when we saw the ZzZZz, but we all had ways to deal with it, ToA added all kind of artifacts that dealth with CC, and those of us in the Classic servers we knew that our first 5 RP were for Purge 1, pure tanks didn't worry too much about CC with stoicism and some determination RA. It was all about finding the balance with your RA's and some items and could avoid CC all together. Does CC have a long duration? yes, but somehow as I look back at all the big fights that we won and lost because of CC, I wouldn't change a thing!.

Pedro - 50 Berserker RR7 Gareth - Myth

Hanamichi - 50 Cleric RR8 Kay - The Forsaken

Pedrob - 50 Bard RR4 Iseult - Storm's Fury

• lttexxanlttexxan Member UncommonPosts: 429

What if....fluffy bunnies fell out of the sky and we were able to kill and eat them at will?

If we are gonna dream....we should dream big.

It's better to lurk in forums and be thought a fool...than to endlessly "Quote" and remove all doubts.

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

Originally posted by Lasastard

There is a difference between converting some maps into something the crytec sandbox can render and changing the engine on which a game is running. The best we could hope for is face-lift using the Warhammer engine (which is, I believe, a somewhat advanced version of the DAoC one).

Just imagine 200vs200 keep fights using the crytec engine... and now add exploding computers and melting gfx cards to that mental picture.

I definetly agree with this.  I would prefer more "dated" graphics as people call them, than the best graphics available and having everyone crash all the time.

I would rather have low graphic 200v200 than high graphic 50v50

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• Krendor23Krendor23 Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by Dragim

Originally posted by Lasastard

I definetly agree with this.  I would prefer more "dated" graphics as people call them, than the best graphics available and having everyone crash all the time.

I would rather have low graphic 200v200 than high graphic 50v50

I didn't post the link to hint that his was a solution to updating the graphics in DAoC. Just thought some people might find the work he was doing interesting. 

On that note, you are right. Although, 200 vs 200 fights would take down a DAoC server anyway. We managed that plenty of times in the early days of relic raids.

• k2y2k4k2y2k4 Member Posts: 40

Definitely bring DAOC2 to the table.  I haven't found a game yet that parallels its complexities.  PvP, RvR, PvE, hell even crafting was difficult.  But it was all fun because of the sense of community.  Games since then have lost that. 

• DojenDojen Member UncommonPosts: 134

Update the graphics, take out the stuuuupid mez spells, take out the mindless grinding, make the game unhackable (I left because of the hack and the mez spell), add some other creative things, and I'll play DAoC again.

So, to repeat: No mindless grind, no mez spell that renders your character unplayable for 10 seconds (idiotic idea--like who wants to lose control of their character?) and a hack-proof client.

Kapeesh, lol?

This discussion has been closed.