Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An MMO with NO LEVEL CAP! Please.

EgaoNoGenkiEgaoNoGenki Member Posts: 397

Last I've heard, Asheron's Call's max level is 275, and World of Warcraft's is 80.

I think that if I've maxed out my character, I've "finished" the game. But I took on the MMORPG genre to play games that NEVER finish, did I?

Max levels kind of defeat that idea.

Therefore, what MMOs do not have a level cap in which I can keep leveling and progressing on for the rest of my life?

(And even forever, should I program and commit a bot-script to play the game just before I die... ;) )

By the way, what have your experiences been with games that have unlimited progress like this?

Comments

• IzorkIzork Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by shultz

Last I've heard, Asheron's Call's max level is 275, and World of Warcraft's is 80.

I think that if I've maxed out my character, I've "finished" the game. But I took on the MMORPG genre to play games that NEVER finish, did I?

Therefore, what MMOs do not have a level cap in which I can keep leveling and progressing on for the rest of my life?

(And even forever, should I program and commit a bot-script to play the game just before I die... ;) )

By the way, what have your experiences been with games that have unlimited progress like this?

EvE Online.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Saga of Ryzom has no cap either.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• JazqaJazqa Member Posts: 465

Saga of Ryzom indeed. Awesome game and nice and small community. There may be cap but no player has got there yet and the game has been running for few years.

• seigardseigard Member UncommonPosts: 286

I can suggest mu online even tho it sucks.I dont know much about it my friend was playing it but as he said you can reset your level after you get to cap and cap was something hundredish.After you reset you are powerful as you were before and you get like 2x100 levels power like prestige in cod with gaining more power! POWER!

• jrs77jrs77 Member Posts: 419

Earthrise will have no cap.

• miekomieko Member UncommonPosts: 78

Mabinogi has no real cap other than the skill levels, but I've never heard of anyone with ever skill maxed out.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

Technically eve has a level cap...just takes a long long long time to get there.  Unless they keep adding skills you could technically max out.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I think the original Lineage doesn't have a cap. Or, if it does have a cap, from what I understand, no one has never reached it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • brezelbrezel Member Posts: 202

eve online has no cap... but you will never have the same amount of skillpoints as an older player. 

• EgaoNoGenkiEgaoNoGenki Member Posts: 397

Originally posted by Horusra

Technically eve has a level cap...just takes a long long long time to get there.  Unless they keep adding skills you could technically max out.

Yes, EVE does have an ultra-high level cap. I played there from Spring 2007 to Spring 2009 (and plan to come back once we can walk out of our spaceships.)

I asked someone (in Help Chat, I believe?) how long it would take to max out all the skills in the game. They said it would take something to the tune of 26 years to finish.

But every now and then, they keep adding new skills. I guess as long as they keep that up, then EVE is not going to be max-outable.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

but in another way you can say it is.  i can make a ship and max out all the skills for that ship and every mod on that ship.  Nothing I can do short of them making a new mod or skill will make that ship better.  then as in any game it comes down to my skill as a player getting better.

I would contest that Eve has maxable classes.  While the classes are BS, BC, Carrier...etc.  At some point you will max out that "class".  This is also the reason that a person have more skill points (being in the game longer) does not really matter.  In a matter of a few months you can max out every skill for a frigate and be as good, skill wise, as someone playing the game for years is.  So they "you will be behind if you start not" is a red herring when it comes to Eve. 

I am making a mining alts brand new and from Evemon it says 82 days to have a hulk pilot with all T2 equipment.  That is from scratch.  Even T2 drones.  So the idea that you can not "catch up" is bull.

But anyway I am rambling.

• dar_es_balatdar_es_balat Member Posts: 438

Entropia Universe essentially goes on forever.

The game is nearing 11 years old, and only a handful of players have reached professional level 100 in one or two classes, let alone the 72 classes so far that I have unlocked (there may be more I havnt checked.)  Not even the over hyped John NEVERDIE Jacobs has reached more than a handful of level 100 skills.

People complain about the pay model, but tbh the pay model has completely disposed of bots within the game (there are none).  The game remains fair for everyone involved, and to be honest has the depth of Ultima Online or Asheron's Call and then some... on a much larger world than Darkfall presents (with more mobs too).

Crappy, petty people breed and raise crappy, petty kids.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Beat me to it.

Entropia is a good bet sure you need to transfer real money to ingame money but if you keep it to a normal monthly sub and play abit smart you will have no problem to keep your self entertained.

This have been a good conversation

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

Redstone is one of the ones with a level cap, but it will take you so long to hit it that it feel like there isn't one.

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Tibia has no level cap...

• GwendleGwendle Member UncommonPosts: 48

Originally posted by shultz

Even though most MMO's have level caps, if your xp bar is your only meter for progression, then you're missing something. Most games have other things to do at and even before level cap to keep your character advancing. Everquest (1 & 2) have alternate advancement, which gives you additional skills or increases the power of existing skills. Plus there's always the quest for better gear.  You can spend more time perfecting your character(s) at level cap than the amount of time it took you to get to the level cap. Plus there's always more game content that wasn't even available to you until you max your level.

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

go play darkfall, will take years to reach lvl cap, once you do bet they add even more skills to lvl....

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

Originally posted by Mad+Dog

go play darkfall, will take years to reach lvl cap, once you do bet they add even more skills to lvl....

lol...

Currently Playing Path of Exile

• debuggftwdebuggftw Member Posts: 1

Eve-online.... 

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by Gonodar

Plus there's always the quest for better gear.

I threw up in my mouth, a little.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• Perdition_ukPerdition_uk Member Posts: 181

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Originally posted by Gonodar

Plus there's always the quest for better gear.

I threw up in my mouth, a little.

ROFL

• IcegotenIcegoten Member UncommonPosts: 138

Mortal Online

It is in open beta now and soon to be released but the game doesn't have levels. Everything is about player skill and your interaction with others who play the game. You can work on all your skills and stuff until you run out of points to use but you can always unlearn something to do another thing. 

An example would be getting wood cutting to 100 just so you can gather extra wood. When you run out of points to put into wood cutting at 70 points you could unlearn mining from 100 to about 80 so you can put 20 points into wood cutting getting you 90 wood cutting.

The players will be shaping the game and the world like having different religions, who is going to make good weapons, merchanting, building our own little cities, and many other things like finding and defeating a giant dragon that once it is killed it doesn't "respawn." when it's dead it is never coming back! (Unless of course some group of mages in game or something want to find a way to ressurect the monster which I would imagine the devs would let be possible)