Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark Age of Camelot: What if... Dark Age of Camelot 2

Comments

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

I agree with most of the posts, but one thing I don't understand is about the original post.

Why make leveling easier?  Has WoW ruined your view on MMOs?

Whatever happened to accomplishment?  Why do I want to be max level in a month?  Then again I come from the everquest days where it actually took hard work and much risk in order to acheive greatness, but the new generation wants everything handed to them within a month or so, otherwise the game is "fail".  That is a main problem I see with many mmos is that you are in a hurry to get to end game, then when you get there, and use up all the content, you whine and complain about the lack-there of.  But god forbid you have tons and tons of content getting to max level, but then you whine and moan about how long the level grind is.  Face it...any mmo is exactly that...a grind.  You spend time "grinding" whatever you are doing...leveling...crafting...pvp.  It is all the same, you do the same thing over and over, just diferent circumstances.

What happened to the adventure?  To the fun you have along the way of getting to the max level? 

I saw someone complaining about ToA brought raiding to DAoC, but like it had been said, there was raiding before ToA, and the raiding was incredibly fun.  Some may not think fun as pulling tons and tons of mobs, taunting/CC-ing/and aoe-ing them, but it was incredibly fun.

Others complain about the CC in PvP.  Personally, I loved it.  This is comming from a Blademaster, the absolute worst class in the game.  They implimented abilities to counter the CC, Purge, I beleive was one of them, as well as other classes had abilities to bring people out of CC.

Sure, some things were overpowered, especially initially, but I enjoyed the CC, not always of course, because I would die as a result of it, but I liked the concept.

Who can forget the great Lurikeen Uprising that effected mostly all servers of the game, mainly Guinevere(sp).  Many people from all servers came to Guinever to roll Hibernian Lurikeens in protest to Mythic in order to allow the Lurikeens to be Heroes, thus donning the age of "Mini-Moose".  Though I was albion on guinever and it brought much annoyance to me, the concept, the community, the whole idea is awesome in itself.

A revived daoc pre-toa would be great, but as it has been said, I don't like sequels so much, due to them trying to make it as glorious as the first one, and ending up making a sub par game.

Also - EA is involved, and well, everyone knows EA's track record and what is going on with them.  Maybe it will take a private investor to restore this classic hit, but until that happens, I doubt we will see a daoc:ressurection or daoc 2.

And before some sad grammar nazi who never got anywhere with their english degree bashes my spelling or grammar, I really don't care.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• VandarixVandarix Member UncommonPosts: 177

If only this would become reality. WAR was so fail.. I miss the good ol DAOC system.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by Dragim

I agree with most of the posts, but one thing I don't understand is about the original post.

Why make leveling easier?  Has WoW ruined your view on MMOs?

Whatever happened to accomplishment?  Why do I want to be max level in a month?  Then again I come from the everquest days where it actually took hard work and much risk in order to acheive greatness, but the new generation wants everything handed to them within a month or so, otherwise the game is "fail".  That is a main problem I see with many mmos is that you are in a hurry to get to end game, then when you get there, and use up all the content, you whine and complain about the lack-there of.  But god forbid you have tons and tons of content getting to max level, but then you whine and moan about how long the level grind is.  Face it...any mmo is exactly that...a grind.  You spend time "grinding" whatever you are doing...leveling...crafting...pvp.  It is all the same, you do the same thing over and over, just diferent circumstances.

What happened to the adventure?  To the fun you have along the way of getting to the max level? 

I saw someone complaining about ToA brought raiding to DAoC, but like it had been said, there was raiding before ToA, and the raiding was incredibly fun.  Some may not think fun as pulling tons and tons of mobs, taunting/CC-ing/and aoe-ing them, but it was incredibly fun.

Others complain about the CC in PvP.  Personally, I loved it.  This is comming from a Blademaster, the absolute worst class in the game.  They implimented abilities to counter the CC, Purge, I beleive was one of them, as well as other classes had abilities to bring people out of CC.

Sure, some things were overpowered, especially initially, but I enjoyed the CC, not always of course, because I would die as a result of it, but I liked the concept.

Who can forget the great Lurikeen Uprising that effected mostly all servers of the game, mainly Guinevere(sp).  Many people from all servers came to Guinever to roll Hibernian Lurikeens in protest to Mythic in order to allow the Lurikeens to be Heroes, thus donning the age of "Mini-Moose".  Though I was albion on guinever and it brought much annoyance to me, the concept, the community, the whole idea is awesome in itself.

A revived daoc pre-toa would be great, but as it has been said, I don't like sequels so much, due to them trying to make it as glorious as the first one, and ending up making a sub par game.

Also - EA is involved, and well, everyone knows EA's track record and what is going on with them.  Maybe it will take a private investor to restore this classic hit, but until that happens, I doubt we will see a daoc:ressurection or daoc 2.

And before some sad grammar nazi who never got anywhere with their english degree bashes my spelling or grammar, I really don't care.

Raiding was fun when it wasn't the only way to get good items, because it was done purely for fun.

And CC was a bit out of control, playing a tank after ToA was IMPOSSIBLE, absolutely impossible. Before purge could even go off you were dead most of the time. 

And leveling, eh, I don't mind slow leveling, but in a PvP game, many do. 

The ToA content was amazingly well done, it just... hurt the PvP, which was the core of the game. Would have been raved has revolutionary over in EQ. 

• VotanVotan Member UncommonPosts: 291

Mythic is now in the same league as Cryptic to me I would not touch a game from either of them.

• AmorienAmorien Member Posts: 142

hmm , i played daoc for 6 years almost. Toa was a bit of a pain , but it was an interesting concept. new frontiers to me was the Game killer. and the lvling system was just fine , why because when u hit 50 you were like BAM BOO YAH I GOT A 50.

• StrieferStriefer Member UncommonPosts: 62

The amount of time to level was fine to me. Don't carebear the game please!

If they could keep the same amount of classes, same music and sfx, and same type of gameplay to be almost exactly like DAoC1, then it would be perfect.  Too much change would just ruin it for me.

The original team would have to be the one working on it to make me interested. Too much change and i would say forget about it...

• VonambergVonamberg Member UncommonPosts: 16

If they would keep the gameplay the same and upgrade the graphics engine I would head back.

• malrodmalrod Member Posts: 87

i played daoc for over 4 years. if daoc 2 was this i would return:

1. keep the three factions-but increase the timers to stop realm jumpers

2.NO TOA- or at the least allow for non-toa servers

3. no instances or teleportation- yes i am old school, if you have to travel its by horse. i remember the anticipation of standing on the pod waiting for the druids to port you into the frontier.

4. focus on realm pride and commaderie-promote grouping as the way to level-bring back the epic areas of leveling- from an albion perspective-STONEHENGE, DARKNESS FALLS, AVALON CITY

5. maintain and enhance the crafting system- i was a legendary crafter in all areas- keep player crafted items in demand

6. keep the housing area-but have it centered around guild houses-as a member of a guild you can build a house near your guild

live long and prosper
    strength and honor

if urgent do it yourself
    if you have time-delegate it
    if you have forever-form a committee

• kiddyno071kiddyno071 Member Posts: 1,330

Originally posted by Vonamberg

If they would keep the gameplay the same and upgrade the graphics engine I would head back.

^ This

• kiddyno071kiddyno071 Member Posts: 1,330

Originally posted by malrod

3. no instances or teleportation- yes i am old school, if you have to travel its by horse. i remember the anticipation of standing on the pod waiting for the druids to port you into the frontier.

4. focus on realm pride and commaderie-promote grouping as the way to level-bring back the epic areas of leveling- from an albion perspective-STONEHENGE, DARKNESS FALLS, AVALON CITY

5. maintain and enhance the crafting system- i was a legendary crafter in all areas- keep player crafted items in demand

6. keep the housing area-but have it centered around guild houses-as a member of a guild you can build a house near your guild

^ and these, I esp like #6.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

*rofl* Realm jumpers, what a horrible game idea. I read they introduce that crap to WAR now too. Wasn't possible when I played DAoC.

There won't be a Daoc2. At least none which deserves that name. I played it for 2 years from release until ToA. It was one of those mmo's that forced you to group if you wanted to achieve anything viable. And it was great that way.

Nowadays every mmo in fact really is a mso game. At least all those published by major companies. You can achieve anything solo which a group can. At least till max level where some add some raid content. That way there is no chance for a real community to build.

There are some independant companies which still develop group focused mmo games. But those are few and usually they struggle concerning quality and content because of their limited budgets.

The only way to re-enjoy games like DAoC, EQ and so again would be a time warp into the past. The time of mmo's is gone. This is the era of massive single player games. ;)

• teddy_bareteddy_bare Member UncommonPosts: 398

Originally posted by kiddyno071

Originally posted by malrod

^ and these, I esp like #6.

Yeah, I agree. If a DAoC 2 was ever in serious development and the dev's followed this outline, they'd pull it off.

• Scorch6744Scorch6744 Member Posts: 1

While I only played DAOC for about a year shortly after launch this part really jumped out at me as something that I've known has been missing from MMO's these days but which I never could articulate until reading,

"In DAOC, not only did I know the top enemies I fought, I could tell you their names even today. This sort of thing is completely missing in MMOs today, having a sense of fame among your faction and even your enemies. Forget about a statue in town, people just want bragging rights. Another thing that benefited DAOC was keeping the servers small. Having the server numbers max out at five or ten thousand with three factions would mean only two to three thousand in a realm. The smaller numbers would give players a better social atmosphere to get to know each other."

So true.  I was very active in Asheron's call for a number of years and remember my time on Darktide (PvP server) well especially when I was a lower level character.  Given the fact that there were essentially no safe zones and you could be killed at any time some PK'ers (guys whod attack pretty much anybody they saw on sight) amassed some really infamous reputations in certain regions where they'd prowl for victims.  It was probably almost ten years ago and I must've been 12 or 13 at the oldest but I still remember the fear I'd feel when I'd see some of those players pop up on my radar and I fled in desperation for the safety of a level capped newb dungeon or tried to make it off to the woods before they noticed me.  I still remember the big names, Og, Fury of Napa Valley, Bill the Hill... man those were the days.  We used to have epic battles between the PK guilds and the anti-PK guilds made all the more exciting by fighting familiar enemies and nemesis' alongside your allies and clan mates.

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558

Originally posted by Torak

Totally disagree with the article. DAoC does NOT need a sequel, it needs a graphic / tech upgrade which is doable. Sequels have a HORRIBLE MMO track record

Fans do not want a new game, they want the old game with improvements and upgrades. EVE and City of Heroes are perfect examples of this. That has been made clear so many times it's not funny, only the MMO nomads want brand new sequels so they can rip them to pieces.

DAoC is made with Gamebryo engine, the newer versions of this engine have been used to make Fallout 3, Warhammer and Oblivion.

A new game would be corrupted by todays market expectations and nothing good will come of it. 

Upgrading DAoC would cost a fraction of a new title.

MMOs and sequels just don't work out that well. In the end we will end up with a buffoon game like Warhammer.

Have to agree with this 100%.  DOAC would be a goofball game when all it needs is to be modernized.  Can you imagine how bad an EVE2 would be?  CO was pretty much the COX 2 and look at how badly people responded to that.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Originally posted by Coldren

Good article.

However, I have to agree with the previous statements that a true DAoC sequel will never be done, because it can't survive in the modern MMO space.

You spoke of Warhammer's attempt to be more like WoW, and therein lies the issue. The majority of modern MMO players expect MMO's to be like WoW in 2 key areas - Community and PvE.

I don't agree at all. Most of us are not saying we don't think it will survive. DAoC 2 done right would flourish. DAoC made like WoW will fail, because there already is a WoW, and many games like it. Sadly, that is the only game that devs are willing to make, atm.

I'm not sure what the majority of MMO players want. I'm not one. I loved DAoC, and that put me into a minority(one that would meet or beat LOTRO sub numbers and crush others besides EVE). I do know we need community and balanced PVP that doesn't require raiding.

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780

Man, don't get my hopes up like this. I absolutely loved DAOC. It was my favorite game for a good 2-3 years.

• BioturnBioturn Member Posts: 20

Originally posted by Garvon3

I would love a DAoC 2, that returned to its roots. 

Sadly, Mythic has proven dozens of times over the past 5 years that they are simply incapable of returning to the roots that made it great. They keep piling more junk to fix the initial junk, and bury themselves with it. They don't KNOW what made the old game great it seems. I can almost promise DAOC 2 would be a giant mess, removing core ideas, and putting in WoW ideas. Hell, they already did that to original DAoC. 

The stupid archery system, RAMPS in castles, putting in a quest grind with glowing ! over NPC heads, destroying immersion and group cohesiveness, instancing the hell out of everything, again destroying the social side of PvE, too many battlegrounds, breaking the balance with every expansion so that people would buy it to play the new overpowered class, removing tanks from being viable, adding teleporters EVERYWHERE, added a /map,  I'm shocked at just how many bad ideas started flowing like water after the Trials of Atlantis expansion.

If they just rewound DAoC to the Shrouded Isles days, gave it a new coat of paint, polished up the leveling, added in public quests, tightened up the battlegrounds, removed /map (like it was at launch), removed all the teleporters, putting back in the necklace ceremony, improving upon the naval combat aspect, that'd be sequel worthy. 

Two things I felt were subtle, but great things in DAoC, both involve combat.

When you were in a good group, you KNEW it. In a decent group, you could of course, pull higher level monsters for more loot and experience, and handle a few of them. 

GREAT groups, you could almost nonstop pull WAVES of purple+++ monsters and kill them with ease. You truly felt unstoppable, because you were mowing these baddies down so quickly, and the exp ran in rivers. 

And the combat in that game, it was KINETIC. You had to be right up against your opponent to hit him, none of this, stand 10 feet away and melee the air stuff in LotRO and other modern MMOs. Your sword would actually look like it hit your enemy, the enemy would flinch, or it'd do a block animation. The recoil and animations were good enough that it almost didn't seem auto attack based, especially with the quick reactionary chains. 

So, while you were mowing down this large group of monsters, you really felt like you were smashing them. 

A few more things, when items dropped on the ground, they displayed in the world (same for decorating your house) so if the mob dropped a sword, there it was shiny on the ground. 

DAoC supported a healthy balance for those who liked PvE, crafting, AND PvP. Raiding was done as recreational fun usually, not a second job, cause most people were concerned with the frontier, and items gotten from raids weren't game changing, cause you could get comparable items from crafters, the crafted items just didn't glow and sparkle. 

I just KNOW if Mythic got their hands on DAoC too they'd make it a WoW knock off, a game with some instanced PvP, and not a virtual world like DAoC was. The vistas and atmosphere in Albion were so immersive. I know Mythic would add in junk like quest hubs, people standing around with big ! over their head, tellilng you exactly what your reward is gonna be in a cute little box, add in some silly xbox live achievement system that doesn't tie in with the lore at all, break the world into a series of linear instances, bleck. 

And for those that want to know what killed DAoC... 

/level 20 command for anyone with a level 50, killing the incoming newb population who had no one to group with, and bloated the battlegrounds. 

ToA killed off endless amounts of PvPers who didn't want to grind another 9 months to get gear to compete in RvR, after going through the 1-50 grind. 

And the ToA gear shifted balance to the caster classes and made it impossible to survive as anything else. 

Umm, dude, look at the italics underlined part, and do a face-palm, please? Mythic is the company that MADE DAoC! It's just that the team has changed since the early years. If the old crew were to make a new DAoC with a different name, under a different company, then I'm sure that we would have what everyone these days likes to call "WoW-Killer".

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by Bioturn

Originally posted by Garvon3

I would love a DAoC 2, that returned to its roots. 

Sadly, Mythic has proven dozens of times over the past 5 years that they are simply incapable of returning to the roots that made it great. They keep piling more junk to fix the initial junk, and bury themselves with it. They don't KNOW what made the old game great it seems. I can almost promise DAOC 2 would be a giant mess, removing core ideas, and putting in WoW ideas. Hell, they already did that to original DAoC. 

The stupid archery system, RAMPS in castles, putting in a quest grind with glowing ! over NPC heads, destroying immersion and group cohesiveness, instancing the hell out of everything, again destroying the social side of PvE, too many battlegrounds, breaking the balance with every expansion so that people would buy it to play the new overpowered class, removing tanks from being viable, adding teleporters EVERYWHERE, added a /map,  I'm shocked at just how many bad ideas started flowing like water after the Trials of Atlantis expansion.

If they just rewound DAoC to the Shrouded Isles days, gave it a new coat of paint, polished up the leveling, added in public quests, tightened up the battlegrounds, removed /map (like it was at launch), removed all the teleporters, putting back in the necklace ceremony, improving upon the naval combat aspect, that'd be sequel worthy. 

Two things I felt were subtle, but great things in DAoC, both involve combat.

When you were in a good group, you KNEW it. In a decent group, you could of course, pull higher level monsters for more loot and experience, and handle a few of them. 

GREAT groups, you could almost nonstop pull WAVES of purple+++ monsters and kill them with ease. You truly felt unstoppable, because you were mowing these baddies down so quickly, and the exp ran in rivers. 

And the combat in that game, it was KINETIC. You had to be right up against your opponent to hit him, none of this, stand 10 feet away and melee the air stuff in LotRO and other modern MMOs. Your sword would actually look like it hit your enemy, the enemy would flinch, or it'd do a block animation. The recoil and animations were good enough that it almost didn't seem auto attack based, especially with the quick reactionary chains. 

So, while you were mowing down this large group of monsters, you really felt like you were smashing them. 

A few more things, when items dropped on the ground, they displayed in the world (same for decorating your house) so if the mob dropped a sword, there it was shiny on the ground. 

DAoC supported a healthy balance for those who liked PvE, crafting, AND PvP. Raiding was done as recreational fun usually, not a second job, cause most people were concerned with the frontier, and items gotten from raids weren't game changing, cause you could get comparable items from crafters, the crafted items just didn't glow and sparkle. 

I just KNOW if Mythic got their hands on DAoC too they'd make it a WoW knock off, a game with some instanced PvP, and not a virtual world like DAoC was. The vistas and atmosphere in Albion were so immersive. I know Mythic would add in junk like quest hubs, people standing around with big ! over their head, tellilng you exactly what your reward is gonna be in a cute little box, add in some silly xbox live achievement system that doesn't tie in with the lore at all, break the world into a series of linear instances, bleck. 

And for those that want to know what killed DAoC... 

/level 20 command for anyone with a level 50, killing the incoming newb population who had no one to group with, and bloated the battlegrounds. 

ToA killed off endless amounts of PvPers who didn't want to grind another 9 months to get gear to compete in RvR, after going through the 1-50 grind. 

And the ToA gear shifted balance to the caster classes and made it impossible to survive as anything else. 

Umm, dude, look at the italics underlined part, and do a face-palm, please? Mythic is the company that MADE DAoC! It's just that the team has changed since the early years. If the old crew were to make a new DAoC with a different name, under a different company, then I'm sure that we would have what everyone these days likes to call "WoW-Killer".

Mythic is also the company that killed DAoC. Then killed it again. And again. And again. Sorry, I don't trust them to make a proper sequel, they'd WoW it up. 

And no, realm pride is not a myth, sorry if you're an exception. 

Originally posted by Vinterkrig

realm pride is a myth, get over it... its a video game

i've played 8 man squads on all 3 realms, i could care less what realm I played in as long as my squad wrecked face

What applies to you must certainly be true for everyone else.

P.S. - Viva La Hibernia!

• socialstatussocialstatus Member Posts: 72

Great article, and I agree DAOC's RvR was amazing hopefully they make DAOC 2 :D

Playing: Ever quest 2
    Played: MS,GW,EVE,LOTRO,WoW,Allods,Aion, CO,CoH,CoV,TQ Digital games, Darkfall,AoC,RS2.
    Liked: Dungeon fight online, GW, Darkfall and, Runescape.
    Waiting for: Link Realms(can't get my damn beta invite) KOTOR and, GW2

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

Originally posted by brostyn

I was an avid DAoC player, and I absolutely did quit due to ToA. One week after ToA I hit the cancel button. It was buggy, and it brought raiding into DAoC. The reason I left EQ!!

DAoC 2? It will never happen. Mythic is about as close to death as a studio can be. None of the original talent is there. Not that I would even trust the original team after the debacles of ToA and Labyrinth. Even if they started development I agree with Torak. We saw what happened with WAR. They would just try to WoW it up instead of sticking to what made DAoC great; community. Just look at WAR. They are still fumbling around trying to make it easier, instead of looking for ways to bring players together.

Focus on a game that builds community instead of making a game where one can get to max level as quickly and easily as possible. DAoC had that at one point.

DaoC had raiding before ToA was released. ToA didn't discourage me, in fact I liked the expansion. The expansion that burned me was SI. It was what my guild called the land of waste. Nobody went there, and when they did it was just to PL people. All the dungeons in SI were horrid and half of them had respawn rates nobody in the guild wanted to deal with. What I love and still love to this day about DaoC, is the way they designed there dungeons. Public dungeons are the best way to implement dungeons. DaoC dungeons were public and huge. I could walk into any dungeon and find a farming party. It was like they were all laid out like DF but without the other side taking over and no seals. Fun stuff and it allowed you to meet with new people. Housing and crafting to an extent was also done pretty well.

• StrieferStriefer Member UncommonPosts: 62

Originally posted by mackdawg19

I was an avid DAoC player, and I absolutely did quit due to ToA. One week after ToA I hit the cancel button. It was buggy, and it brought raiding into DAoC. The reason I left EQ!!

DAoC 2? It will never happen. Mythic is about as close to death as a studio can be. None of the original talent is there. Not that I would even trust the original team after the debacles of ToA and Labyrinth. Even if they started development I agree with Torak. We saw what happened with WAR. They would just try to WoW it up instead of sticking to what made DAoC great; community. Just look at WAR. They are still fumbling around trying to make it easier, instead of looking for ways to bring players together.

Focus on a game that builds community instead of making a game where one can get to max level as quickly and easily as possible. DAoC had that at one point.

DaoC had raiding before ToA was released. ToA didn't discourage me, in fact I liked the expansion. The expansion that burned me was SI. It was what my guild called the land of waste. Nobody went there, and when they did it was just to PL people. All the dungeons in SI were horrid and half of them had respawn rates nobody in the guild wanted to deal with. What I love and still love to this day about DaoC, is the way they designed there dungeons. Public dungeons are the best way to implement dungeons. DaoC dungeons were public and huge. I could walk into any dungeon and find a farming party. It was like they were all laid out like DF but without the other side taking over and no seals. Fun stuff and it allowed you to meet with new people. Housing and crafting to an extent was also done pretty well.

I agree, I'm so sick of instanced dungeons. It makes you dependant on finding a party before you head there. With it non-instanced you can meet people there and join their team. It also makes it feel a lot more alive and part of the game world.

I honestly just want a copy and paste of the original game, just modernized lol

• TelffTelff Member Posts: 1

Going to have to agree, I would love a DAOC sequel.. Or an upgrade at the least.. Or at least have them advertise it again because we need more people!! Also, from what I've seen, DAOC is going back up again.. I wish it would reach a population larger than WoW.. For me, WoW seemed good but when I tried it, and comparing to DAOC.. I hated it so much.. :s; DAOC so far for me has been the ONLY good MMO with PVP that could keep me playing for more than 2months straight.. I wish Mythic didn't sell to EA.. =/

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Originally posted by mackdawg19

You're right. I didn't participate in them, and they weren't required for progression. In no way did not raiding hinder one's performance in RvR until ToA.

This discussion has been closed.