Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Next MMO to cancel/close down

jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

My bet is on Vanguard.

What do you think it will be?

Comments

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Threads like this remind me of the South Park where Brittney Spears is sacrificed for Harvest, except it's with game developers. People at this site must really like their corn...

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

It's not a hard concept, post your thought of the next MMO to close down.

• jybgessjybgess Member Posts: 355

Im thinking CO or STO. 

Originally posted by jybgess

Im thinking CO or STO. 

Those are some good choices too. I wonder if they have more subs than Vanguard.

• rlmccoy1987rlmccoy1987 Member Posts: 1,722

Lets hope Mortal Online closes soon as that has been one giant disaster from the beginning.  You can't promise the world to your fans, have them blindly support you, while you do not know what your doing as you have no experience.  image

Originally posted by rlmccoy1987

Lets hope Mortal Online closes soon as that has been one giant disaster from the beginning.  You can't promise the world to your fans, have them blindly support you, while you do not know what your doing as you have no experience.  image

Ya, I'm pretty disappointed with MO too. Too bad Henrik hired some fail devs.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Warhammer Online. How the game survives now is beyond me.

Originally posted by SaintViktor

I hope it's not WAR, I just started playing the unlimited trial again lol. I agree that the game could be much better though.

• AngorimAngorim Member Posts: 466

Originally posted by SaintViktor

This.

It's rather surprising EA hasn't pulled the plug yet.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Random F2P game #9852, which will die a silent death we won't even hear about until months later.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Either STO, WAR, or sadly, Vanguard.

STO deserves it

WAR only kinda deserves it

and for Vanguard, it might be a godsend if it allows another company to pick it up and develop it. Out of all the games out there people waste money on, Vanguard has so much more potential if someone would pump money back into it. 

• jfenciljfencil Member Posts: 29

Vanguard, WAR, or Pirates of the Burning Sea if it hasn't been shut down yet.

• jotulljotull Member Posts: 256

Originally posted by Garvon3

Either STO, WAR, or sadly, Vanguard.

STO deserves it

WAR only kinda deserves it

and for Vanguard, it might be a godsend if it allows another company to pick it up and develop it. Out of all the games out there people waste money on, Vanguard has so much more potential if someone would pump money back into it. 

No Cryptic game is going to shut down any time soon as they are flush (as in filthy fucking rich) with venture capitol, and when that dries up they have Immigrant bank as a back up. Except for maybe Bioware and Blizzard every other developer would kill to have the liquid assets of Cryptic.

Just consider me the cold pimp slap of reality.

• BetabooBetaboo Member Posts: 384

As much as i despise craptic for the lousy job i feel they did on STO i do not see them closing down next. They have to fanatacial of a player base and they did rob...er collect alot of money from the lifers though the playerbase will remain small i think the game will limp along for at least another year.

Unless Atari goes belly up then everything i said becomes moot

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Star Wars Galaxies .  Don't see how it can survive SWTOR, seeing as its already on life-support.

STO isn't in any danger, it has a rabid fan base and ultimately the game isn't as terrible as people make it out to be.  It's a very sharp looking game, with lots of customization, and fun combat.  Sure... its about as deep as a rain puddle, but thats not going to keep the StarTrek fans away.  Most people are just pissed because a lot more should have been done with the IP.

CO is actually a really good game for what it tries to be.  They made some terrible choices at launch that pissed a lot of people off, but otherwise the game is pretty good at doing what it does.   I think it's ultimate fate depends on how good DC Online ends up being

Most MMORPG readers tend to be hardcore type gamers (otherwise why are you reading a forum about MMORPGs).  So Crytpic games are the anti-christ.  The reality is that there are a lot of gamers who enjoy those type of games... and they don't post on forums.

• beefaroniapbeefaroniap Member Posts: 78

allods online nobody even plays that on us server... im guessing one of the old ncsoft games no way any cryptic game will shut down they are a casual gamers wet dream.. forum people seem to forget that casual gamers dont read online post about flames of games sto and co will be going on for a while.. warhammer will die when 40k is realeased and only then

• AngorimAngorim Member Posts: 466

Originally posted by Draemos

Star Wars Galaxies

As much as I dislike SoE, I can't see this happening as long as it's a part of the station pass.

• KuatosuneKuatosune Member UncommonPosts: 219

My guess would be either Vanguard or SWG.  Don't hold your breath thinking that because a game is part of the SOE station pass will keep the game alive.

But one that deserves it is the epic fail of STO.  I can't even think of a way for them to redeem themselves to the gaming public at large.

• ElmarollyElmarolly Member Posts: 60

i would have to sadly say it wil be Alganon. With less then 80 people from 3 servers online at peak hours. The investors will finally write off the game as a tax write off.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Alganon, vanguard or SWG would be my guess and i really don't seen any of the cryptic games being shut down.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

WAR. It's dead, Jim. Which sucks because I was so amped about it pre-launch, then still giddy at launch, then shortly after very sad.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• BlistermixBlistermix Member Posts: 40

Don't think it will be SWG since the free month in Feb and the new content that is actually pretty good most severs have seen a big jump in population, relative to there numbers before the free month. Conan has a big new expansion comming out so I doubt it will be that game either, not sure on STO or MO. Vangaurd is also part of the station pass from SOE, that that might protect it as well.

• ShamiusShamius Member Posts: 99

The game that makes the most sense to me is WAR.  Yet another let down for me in the mmo world...

• Naturalist99Naturalist99 Member Posts: 182

MO no doubt, all SOE will stay alive due to station pass (why do you think vanguard is still alive) thew newest cryptic games (CO and STO) are still rather new so they have a good player base, yet diminishing. But since they are some of the newest mmos they get bored mmo gamers easy. WAR isn't doing terrible, it doesn't get many updates anymore or anything, but it's not dead. It has time. MO is a game released due to no money left, so they don't have any money to keep it alive unless people sub, which they won't due to it being broken.

MMOs played: Too many
    Watch List: FFXIV, CoH:GR, GW2, SWTOR, TERA, Earthrise

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

I would wager that Mortal Online folds fairly soon.  Since last year they have been claiming to have money troubles and they recently had to try and move the game to a new Unreal Engine.  This decision was made merely days before they were scheduled to release due to their inability to correct a huge "desync" issue that plagued the game for months.   They last postponed the game for "another month" in March...  They went to visit Epic Games in the US in the hopes that they could help and just yesterday released the long awaited "April Release" which was a full download of the new version of the game.  Unfortunately after the first few folks got  into the game, they started to report that the desync was still there.

If this isn't miraculously fixed ASAP I don't see what they can do other than fold...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018