Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best F2P Crafting?

jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

What F2P has the best crafting? As in variety of items to craft, items that are actually useful, is worth doing.

Comments

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I'd say Wurm Online's free trial server, but for a game that is fully F2P you are going to be hard-pressed to find something. Any game that dependant on crafting is not going to do well when nothing is limitin players from having infinite alts and becoming self-sufficient. Not to mention the data-load involved with tons of unique items flooding a server when the majority of those players are paying squat. Wurm does it only in the hopes people will go on to prem, which they rarely do, because you get a lot for free as is.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I tried WURM, and let's just say it's not the game for me. It's rediculous to have every little action take upwards of a minute or more to complete.

That's funny, most actions take me 4 seconds. It's called skillgain. Also enchanted tools, which cannot be found on the free server - so this is why everything seems to take forever there.

So how long do I have to wait until things take 4 seconds? Days? Weeks? Months? Well, I guess never since I need the enchanted tools.

Let's just forget about WURM, way too time consuming to get anything done.

I guess Shin Megami Tensei Online: Imagine has interesting crafting. You basically run around and do a small timing mini-game on floating/glowy orbs for various junk (cans, newspaper, etc). That is broken down to a base material (aluminum, paper) and used to craft with. I never messed with it, but supposedly the best gear in the game can be crafted, it just comes with major chances of loss through failure if you don't buy a CS item to prevent it. You'll find the majority of F2P games have 'craft failure prevention' items, another reason I say you shouldn't look to F2P for your craft fix.

Also, Face of Mankind has a completely free-to-play side to it, on top of a subbed version. All items in the game are craftable, but the usage depends. The only thing that really sells on the market is ammo/meds, and sometimes drugs (if you are BoS faction and have people-skills). It's hard to make it rich in that game through crafting, because the economy-mission structure while grouped allows for faster gain. Also, the act of harvesting/producing is boring as all hell, you just stand around and cannot leave a planet, or die, because it will kill your queues.

Crafting in the first one sounds kinda cool, but it seems like I'd go nuts with a high failure chance, and it goes against the point of playing a F2P game for me to pay for cash shop items.

I guess it was kind of a pipe dream to find good crafting in a F2P when even most P2P crafting sucks.

Guess I'll have to hold off on crafting for now, thanks anyways.

A Tale in the Desert, I never played it, but people swear by it. May be a bit too much like Wurm for your tastes, but I hear there is a 24 hour free trial (in-game hours) before you decide to sub or not.

Oh yeah, and Ryzom is an amazing game when it comes to damn near everything, especially crafting. There is a 2-week free trial for that one, and I'd be paying for sub if they had an easier method, like paypal or simply CC# exchange. Great game.

None are F2P, but that's how it be.

~Also, Mortal Online is in a 'free state' for the moment while it gets it's act straight. If there is anything that game nailed, it's the crafting.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Check Mabinogi. You can craft nearly all items in the games, a decent amount of materials to craft with. Some Craft skills such as Tailoring requires you to play a mini-game to "Finish" your item, etc.

• DaywolfDaywolf Member Posts: 749

Secondlife? You can build w/o paying into it. Lots of free textures in-game, you sell what you make to other players. Take the currency you make and use it for texture uploads, make better things and sell those for more currency. I'm not talking about quitting your job and getting rich, talking about a working crafting system that is actually fun to use and create your own imagination of things. With all the time you put into other games to spawn their items on their workbench, you could learn how to use a graphics editor and maybe even a regular modeling app. f2p :)

M59, UO, EQ1, WWIIOL, PS, EnB, SL, SWG. MoM, EQ2, AO, SB, CoH, LOTRO, WoW, DDO+ f2p's, Demo’s & indie alpha's.

Originally posted by Daywolf

Secondlife? You can build w/o paying into it. Lots of free textures in-game, you sell what you make to other players. Take the currency you make and use it for texture uploads, make better things and sell those for more currency. I'm not talking about quitting your job and getting rich, talking about a working crafting system that is actually fun to use and create your own imagination of things. With all the time you put into other games to spawn their items on their workbench, you could learn how to use a graphics editor and maybe even a regular modeling app. f2p :)

I agree with this guy. I noticed a post by the OP in hte dev corner saying he has actively worked on an MMO, but has scaled down to attempting a single-player game. SL has it's own scripting tools, and many 'worlds' and objects are created in-game, for various reasons. The best rundown is prolly in a thread I brought up about a week ago;

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/277531/Questions-on-Second-Life-and-Project-Entropias-financials.html

The functionality stuff is more towards the end, whereas I figured SL to be nothing more than a virtual chat-room, and then I was proven quite wrong. i have still yet to make the jump and try it out myself though.

• DaywolfDaywolf Member Posts: 749

Originally posted by GTwander

Originally posted by Daywolf

I agree with this guy. I noticed a post by the OP in hte dev corner saying he has actively worked on an MMO, but has scaled down to attempting a single-player game. SL has it's own scripting tools, and many 'worlds' and objects are created in-game, for various reasons. The best rundown is prolly in a thread I brought up about a week ago;

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/277531/Questions-on-Second-Life-and-Project-Entropias-financials.html

The functionality stuff is more towards the end, whereas I figured SL to be nothing more than a virtual chat-room, and then I was proven quite wrong. i have still yet to make the jump and try it out myself though.

Oh yeah, that's reason enough, that's why I do it too. I've been using development tools for years and years, working on indie game projects, SL is defiantly a draw for that. Lots of builder groups in-game that are the same way, doing stuff in SL on the side. Even if he has modeling exp, the in-game tools are fine, but good news is they are about to allow regular mesh uploads, and I'm looking forward to that more than anything in any game. That'll pretty much change the face of SL in a big way. And scripting jobs will most likely be in high demand as that happens. Interesting times.

M59, UO, EQ1, WWIIOL, PS, EnB, SL, SWG. MoM, EQ2, AO, SB, CoH, LOTRO, WoW, DDO+ f2p's, Demo’s & indie alpha's.