Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cryptic to announce new MMO in late summer

Comments

• BetabooBetaboo Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by MikeB

Actually, the source is right here at MMORPG.com guys! I've received a number of tips "tipping us off" to this news, which I find a bit puzzling since all the articles are linking to the originating source -- our interview with Bill Roper!

MMORPG.com:

Do you have anything to say to the D&D Forgotten Realms MMO rumors?

Bill Roper:

I can't speak to the specifics of what we're doing, but it's true that we have another game in the works. We won't be making an announcement until late summer, and we're still a ways off from launch. I can say that this is a game and a franchise we're very excited about. I think people are going to pleased and a bit surprised with what we're doing in terms of the game, how we make it, and even how we sell and support it. The game is being developed around new design principles merged with Cryptic's community-first approach to ongoing development.

Translation:  They're going to develop another craptastic game that no one will play.

Wonderful.

qft

And Bill Roper is rumored to have a life-time membership plan for this soon-to-be-released failure so they come out of the gait, again, with another game that has a small audience of pre-determined puppets that can only feel compelled to support it for fear of being embarassed for truthfully saying it sucks.

I do not think it is fear i think it is more along the lines of trying not to look foolish and protecting their investment. But deep down they know the truth just go to the official forums and see all the blues who are ripping mad.

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

what surprise?  its gonna be another instance game with same engine and same graphic like we dont know.  Based on their last 2 mmo what kind of surprise can they pull off lol.

• Chile267Chile267 Member UncommonPosts: 141

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.... hahahahahahahahahaha...ahhhhhhhh...ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

...for a second there, hahahaha...ohhhh God wooooooooooooo, I thought you said that Cryptic is going to announce a new MMO in late summer.

Thank the good Lord for people who have a great sense of humor. Thanks for the laugh!

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

I paid for a lifetime for CO. I was hoping that it could at least compete with City of. After all, they had made the original City of, and it stood to figure that they'd make something comparable. Being wrong never hurt so much (well, except for that one time with that girl and the pudding fiasco, but I digress).

So, having been suckered out of $200, I did get to see what STO was like. Played a couple hours and then I uninstalled. Just a completely boring, hashed out experience for me. It soured me on Cryptic permanently. So I will not be purchasing any Cryptic game again, even if they launch Pretty Girl and the Pudding Factory MMO. The damage has been done.

It does concern me that they (Cryptic) keeps getting projects to create new MMO's. Are they really raking in that much on initial box sales to be able to turn around and spin it as a successful and thriving project? I can only assume so. Or, as so many others have opined, their business plan is to grab killer IPs, hype the ever lovin' pudding out of it, and then Take the Money and Run (sorry, Steve).

If there is a hell for MMOs, it is guarded by a two headed dog named COSTO. I can only hope that dog doesn't grow a third head.

-tal

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

I'm with most of the posters here. If this ends up being Forgotten Realms/NWN MMO I will be very upset, which is surprising since I want those MMOs in the worst way...

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

I have a huge feeling this new game will be a f2p with ad-support. And it will be based upon NWN. Only because they mentioned support and marketing.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

HAHAHA.... THIS is hilarious!! i don't want to hear any bitching when everyone gets ripped off again HAHAHA.

Originally posted by aleos

HAHAHA.... THIS is hilarious!! i don't want to hear any bitching when everyone gets ripped off again HAHAHA.

Wont hear anything from me about the new game. the Failboat only gets to set once with me and then my wallet becomes immune from further failboats from the company.

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351

I hope they make a game based off Twilight and all the Metrosexual looking vampires and werewolves die in fires! and it fails after 2 months live!

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

are you kidding me!!! not another one >.>

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• MelonCrazyMelonCrazy Member Posts: 55

Doesn't matter what new IP they announce for their next MMO if they keep using the same engine it will fail, and with the last 2 fails they call games there isn't a lot of people left that would never trust Craptic again.

• goldenkeygoldenkey Member UncommonPosts: 98

No dought it'll be another cheap rushed load of crap.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Great, another POS from Craptic. With the rate they're putting out MMOs, it's starting to make them seem like some F2P publishers or something.

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665

seriously?? thier business must be based on box sales alone, thier sub fees arent paying the bills thats for sure.

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • MeromorphMeromorph Member Posts: 75

Wow, I have a really different taste in games than you guys, because for me Champions Online is the best MMO I have played in years.   I do find it strange that you all have the same opinions, almost as if you were just following each other instead of thinking for yourselves.

Originally posted by Meromorph

Wow, I have a really different taste in games than you guys, because for me Champions Online is the best MMO I have played in years.   I do find it strange that you all have the same opinions, almost as if you were just following each other instead of thinking for yourselves.

Your right we are we have been assimilated into the collective and all come to the conclusion that we really dislike cryptic and do not want them to destroy another IP.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

After the disastrous results of CO and STO the only way this new game could be a pleasant surprise would be if it were a game called "Hit Bill Roper Repeatedly in the Nuts with a Baseball Bat." I  shudder to think what havoc this company could wreak on poor Forgotten Realms.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Isn't Cryptic's logo a factory? Well, that's what they are. An MMO factory. Too bad we can't control the quality of the products it produces, though.

• MeromorphMeromorph Member Posts: 75

Originally posted by Betaboo

Your right we are we have been assimilated into the collective and all come to the conclusion that we really dislike cryptic and do not want them to destroy another IP.

Haha, well I know that at least in your case you played at least one of the games.  What worries me is the folks who say things like "by all accounts their games have been terrible", or who bash Champions based on STO.   If I go into an MMO having heard so many bad things, then I will probably give up before giving the game a chance (MMOs have a steep learning curve, especially the complex open build system with Champions).

The thing that makes me puke the most is that if this continues all the small developers like Cryptic will be forced out of producing MMOs, and I will quit the genre because nothing pukes me out more than WoW and ToR type games that play it safe using game design from 30 years ago so that they can appeal to a mass audience.  Is that what you guys want?   WoW and ToR?  Because I promise that is what you are asking for, whether you know it or not.   You should think about what all this torch-burning is going to get you in the end:  mainstream games designed for TV-watching Facebook-using MTV-listening idiots.

Cryptic is a small developer, and at least with Champions they did several innovative things, like the open build system.   I am so tired of classes, and so ToR makes me puke with their WoW classes.   I want innovation, and to have that we need small developers.   You guys are helping to make sure that only the largest and most watered down mainstream games get produced in the future.  You aren't accomplishing anything good at all.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Haha, well I know that at least in your case you played at least one of the games.  What worries me is the folks who say things like "by all accounts their games have been terrible", or who bash Champions based on STO.   If I go into an MMO having heard so many bad things, then I will probably give up before giving the game a chance (MMOs have a steep learning curve, especially the complex open build system with Champions).

The thing that makes me puke the most is that if this continues all the small developers like Cryptic will be forced out of producing MMOs, and I will quit the genre because nothing pukes me out more than WoW and ToR type games that play it safe using game design from 30 years ago so that they can appeal to a mass audience.  Is that what you guys want?   WoW and ToR?  Because I promise that is what you are asking for, whether you know it or not.   You should think about what all this torch-burning is going to get you in the end:  mainstream games designed for TV-watching Facebook-using MTV-listening idiots.

Cryptic is a small developer, and at least with Champions they did several innovative things, like the open build system.   I am so tired of classes, and so ToR makes me puke with their WoW classes.   I want innovation, and to have that we need small developers.   You guys are helping to make sure that only the largest and most watered down mainstream games get produced in the future.  You aren't accomplishing anything good at all.

Quality > innovation.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Champions Online only needed to do two things to be a runaway success. Be more advanced than City of Heroes and incorporate the Hero System that they freaking purchased the license to into the game. CO did neither. And as to their wonderous open build system, yeah it worked out fantastically, let's see, melee toons were at a serious disadavantge vs ranged until when ... LAST WEEK?

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• SkullFighterSkullFighter Member UncommonPosts: 31

This is their master plan.   Use the Rapid Application Development tools to create cookie cutter games.   See how many suckers they can get to pay lifetime subs.  Create a new mmo twice a year. 

I cant comment or bash champions because i never played it i exclusivly bash cryptic because of STO . And i agree with some of your points and others I disagree. if Developers put out decent games and dont try to hoodwink the masses then they have nothing to worry about but when they become deceptive and shady then they do need to worry because in this age of instant communication the word spreads quick.

And as far as other companys i wouldnt worry to much good products sell bad products fail it is the nature of buisness. And think about it maybe their is a reason so many people are upset--have you ever seen this reaction to something other than the NGE? i havent.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Which, as you can see, your in the minority, not only here, but market-wise.  Glad to meet one of the few that support the less intelligent, more mundane.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Originally posted by jusomdude

Great, another POS from Craptic. With the rate they're putting out MMOs, it's starting to make them seem like some F2P publishers or something.

Hey now, that was an uncalled for and very severe insult to the majority of F2P game producers. image