Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cryptic to announce new MMO in late summer

bronecarbronecar Member Posts: 685

Source qj.net

Apparently not content with releasing two MMOs in the past seven months alone, Cryptic Games already has a new game in the works. While the studio isn't too keen on revealing too much yet, MMO fans will be treated to an announcement this summer.

Speaking to MMORPG.com, Cryptic design director Bill Roper said that this new game will be a pleasant surprise.

"I can't speak to the specifics of what we're doing, but it's true that we have another game in the works," he said. "We won't be making an announcement until late summer, and we're still a ways off from launch.

"I can say that this is a game and a franchise we're very excited about. I think people are going to pleased and a bit surprised with what we're doing in terms of the game, how we make it, and even how we sell and support it."

There have been rumors before that Cryptic is doing an MMO based on the Forgotten Realms franchise. I guess we'll find out if that's true or not by late summer.

Comments

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Well I can tell you it will have a very small player base. I cannot imagine many folks buying in again after STO. I know I won't.

• BetabooBetaboo Member Posts: 384

Well since i cant say anything good about that news i wont say anything at all except to say my wallet now has a chastity belt on with the cryptic logo and the words never again scarred into it's surface.

• striker09dxstriker09dx Member UncommonPosts: 197

Might be NWN mmo.... cryptic, please don't effin touch this frachise pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase.

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481

Cryptic to announce reskinned MMO in late summer.

^Fixed.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• ChaosIncChaosInc Member Posts: 112

They damned well better not be doing Forgotten Realms.  Last thing I wanna see is this lackluster company ruin another widely known and awesome IP.  If they do, they should be intelligent and hand it on over to Turbine like good little boys and girls.  Asides for NWN, Turbine has done the best book-to-game translation of rules/mechanics to date.  It was sad that they only had Eberron to work with at the time.

NEWS FLASH! PAYING THE SUB IN F2P = NO DIFFERENCE THAN P2P GAMES!

Why the hell can't the whiners comprehend this?

• rabid_sirabid_si Member Posts: 8

I never thought I'd say these words (and mean them), but, Dear God In Heaven, I hope it's a Twilight MMO.

~ Rabid_Si

"Not on your life, Sonny!"

• BetabooBetaboo Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by rabid_si

I never thought I'd say these words (and mean them), but, Dear God In Heaven, I hope it's a Twilight MMO.

Or better yet a gumby or muppet MMO they would probably work well with cryptics engine--everything else means another destroyed IP

• JadetoothJadetooth Member UncommonPosts: 372

Don't you dare touch the NWN franchise Cryptic, don't you dare!

------------------------------

• dzikundzikun Member Posts: 150

What are they going to ruin next? "Firefly"? sheesh...

I've been uplinked and downloaded, I've been inputted and outsourced. I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading.

I'm a high-tech low-life. A cutting-edge, state-of-the-art, bi-coastal multi-tasker, and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond.

I'm new-wave, but I'm old-school; and my inner child is outward-bound.

I'm a hot-wired, heat-seeking, warm-hearted cool customer; voice-activated and bio-degradable.

RIP George Carlin.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by rabid_si

LOL. That's mean.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• ArlettaArletta Member Posts: 63

The smurfs = Ideal Cryptic mmo

Promised myself I was going to stop trying to take the rip out of them, but it's too easy.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

"Cryptic design director Bill Roper said that this new game will be a pleasant surprise."

If that's not a set up for punch lines - I don't know what is.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Originally posted by dzikun

What are they going to ruin next? "Firefly"? sheesh...

Man dont jinx us. If anyone could ruin Firefly, they could...Cryptic doesnt even bother with painting their turds gold...

I thought SOE sucked back in the day when I the NGE came out, but Craptic is my new favorite example of how NOT to design a game.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Actually, the source is right here at MMORPG.com guys! I've received a number of tips "tipping us off" to this news, which I find a bit puzzling since all the articles are linking to the originating source -- our interview with Bill Roper!

MMORPG.com:

Do you have anything to say to the D&D Forgotten Realms MMO rumors?

Bill Roper:

I can't speak to the specifics of what we're doing, but it's true that we have another game in the works. We won't be making an announcement until late summer, and we're still a ways off from launch. I can say that this is a game and a franchise we're very excited about. I think people are going to pleased and a bit surprised with what we're doing in terms of the game, how we make it, and even how we sell and support it. The game is being developed around new design principles merged with Cryptic's community-first approach to ongoing development.

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Meh.

We've known they've been working on "something" since Dec 2008. They just aren't telling us what.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Originally posted by MikeB

Actually, the source is right here at MMORPG.com guys! I've received a number of tips "tipping us off" to this news, which I find a bit puzzling since all the articles are linking to the originating source -- our interview with Bill Roper!

MMORPG.com:

Bill Roper:

I can't speak to the specifics of what we're doing, but it's true that we have another game in the works. We won't be making an announcement until late summer, and we're still a ways off from launch. I can say that this is a game and a franchise we're very excited about. I think people are going to pleased and a bit surprised with what we're doing in terms of the game, how we make it, and even how we sell and support it. The game is being developed around new design principles merged with Cryptic's community-first approach to ongoing development.

Then it is Forgotten Realms image

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

MMORPG.com:

Bill Roper:

Translation:  They're going to develop another craptastic game that no one will play.

Wonderful.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

Originally posted by Kyleran

MMORPG.com:

Bill Roper:

Translation:  They're going to develop another craptastic game that no one will play.

Wonderful.

i love the over reactions and nerd rage when ever name Cryptic is mentioned. rofl..so damn funny.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Let me guess another recycled MMO using the CO engine, no thanks.

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

It'll be a Neverwinter Nights paint job over Champions Online with the DDO business model. The C Store will sell advanced content and exclusive classes and races... Probably a sparkle pony or two.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Originally posted by Shastra

MMORPG.com:

Bill Roper:

Wonderful.

i love the over reactions and nerd rage when ever name Cryptic is mentioned. rofl..so damn funny.

Hmm.... CO and STO.... yeah, over reactions and nerd rage.... right. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Shastra

MMORPG.com:

Bill Roper:

Wonderful.

Hmm.... CO and STO.... yeah, over reactions and nerd rage.... right. 

Indeed!

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

MMORPG.com:

Bill Roper:

Wonderful.

qft

And Bill Roper is rumored to have a life-time membership plan for this soon-to-be-released failure so they come out of the gait, again, with another game that has a small audience of pre-determined puppets that can only feel compelled to support it for fear of being embarassed for truthfully saying it sucks.

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

Cryptic's strategy now seems to be throw out garbage as fast as you can. Make initial sells off of the box and lifetime subs and then move the the next scam. I will not be touching any Cryptic products.

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

MMORPG.com:

Bill Roper:

Wonderful.

qft

And Bill Roper is rumored to have a life-time membership plan for this soon-to-be-released failure so they come out of the gait, again, with another game that has a small audience of pre-determined puppets that can only feel compelled to support it for fear of being embarassed for truthfully saying it sucks.

or it is just that some people really enjoy the casual fun games? not everyone has same taste you know. Thats what we call real world where people love different things. And who the hell will be embarrassed on internet to say that they are wrong? its not as if it matters. You don't know them personally and they don't know you. But i guess arrogant people just like to insult anyone who doesn't agree with their own taste.

In 8 years of gaming i still have to insult someone on the basis of what games they enjoy. I just do not get the mentality. Really childish imo.