Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: 1.3.5 Interview

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com's Michael Bitton recently sat down with Warhammer Online Producer Carrie Gouskos to talk about the game's upcoming 1.3.5 patch which changes endgame city sieges and a number of other game elements.

I recently got a chance to sit down with Warhammer Online Producer Carrie Gouskos to discuss WAR’s upcoming 1.3.5 patch that will be making some major changes to the game’s RvR campaign, among other things.

First on the agenda was the centerpiece of 1.3.5: the 100% RvR city sieges. Carrie explained that the whole idea of the city sieges was that they were meant to be an epic conclusion to the game’s RvR campaign, and serve to humiliate the other side for losing. The problem up to this point, however, was that the campaign essentially ended in a giant PvE raid, and the main goal of 1.3.5 was to address this issue.

Read the 1.3.5 Interview.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• ChachChach Member Posts: 69

Sounds like some good changes to the game.  I played the game for 6 months and had a blast while playing it.  The only thing that kept me from playing the game was the crazy amount of CC of AOE in the latters of T3 and T4. 

Can any current subscribers comment about this?  Would be cool to see some use for my old White Lion.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by Chach

Sounds like some good changes to the game.  I played the game for 6 months and had a blast while playing it.  The only thing that kept me from playing the game was the crazy amount of CC of AOE in the latters of T3 and T4. 

Can any current subscribers comment about this?  Would be cool to see some use for my old White Lion.

Totally agree.  Mythic has this love of CC like no other MMO.  Interesting fact, the designers of Wow based the limited amount of CC in their game because of their experiences with the overpowered CC in DAoC. 

I don't understand why Mythic is so oblivious to this problem.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Totally agree.  Mythic has this love of CC like no other MMO.  Interesting fact, the designers of Wow based the limited amount of CC in their game because of their experiences with the overpowered CC in DAoC. 

I don't understand why Mythic is so oblivious to this problem.

Because they don't PvP,  perhaps? Barnett at least admitted that he didn't PvP.

CC in PvE is fine. It allows groups to take large numbers which can make the battles more exciting.

WoW has some CC issues itself (stunlock and chain fear), but they did make a lot of the CC specific to certain mob types (beast, demons, undead, etc), making much of it useless in PvP, and most of the rest has drawbacks to limit the power (break on damage, make invulnerable, heal the target, etc).

Funny how things go, isn't it? I remember before release hearing that there were no mastery builds for CC ability, and thinking it was a great idea. You don't need to spec for it, though, as every class gets several forms of it.

24 classes with one or two abilities each level means a ton of abilities they have to put in the game. There are only so many good ideas for abilities.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

The ability to play both Order and Destro on the same server?.......lame

Not that I have played WoW in some time now, maybe a couple years, but when I found out you could play both alliance and horde on the same server, it made me not want to go back.

Not being able to play both sides on the same server promotes "side" unity.  Now that it is open borders, people can jump from bandwagon to bandwagon, assuming they want to reroll and level an opposing forces character.

Still, lame in my opinion.  Nice to see the game going in a good direction, but I feel this is not one of them.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• shylock1079shylock1079 Member Posts: 158

Yeah playing both Dest and Order on the same server is one of the worst decisions they could make.  The sides need to be separated or you'll just have people stalking or harassing one another.  This seems like a "lets just appeal to the wow crowd" move.  

I'm a fan of mythic...but this seems like a bad move.  I guess it's ideas like this that send people researching other games.  

• ShienShien Member Posts: 26

I guess they just don't get it.   Instead of mulling over cosmetic fixes and bending over backward trying to appeal to dwindling subscriptions base, they should address the #1 flaw in Warhmmer, they need to add a third faction to stir up the activities, for those of us that played DAoC, even with its many flaws, CC,  etc, one thing that worked was three factions PvP and the massive epic battles where three side clash together, win or lose that's what brought many of us to Warhammer, and the lack of it it's what drove many us away.  They just don't learn their lesson that well, DAoC start to decline when they introduced ToA and subsequently New frontier, new contents doesn't necessary needs to be in new zones, new PvE candies etc, if anything they need to reduce the zones or focus on existing zones (I dislike zones for PvP period) and tunnel people into concentrated area and MAGIC WILL HAPPEN.  I remembered hugging the zone wall going troll speed (we didn't have enough Skalds at first) with hundreds of mids trying to bypass Emain and the ensued siege where we get Albs trying to flank the relic and Hib trying to blockade us, I remembered when we encountered hundreds of Albs in Albion frontier and Hibs show up in force and the ensue carnage, I remember getting creamed by Alb and Hib alliance in our own frontier!  What do I remember from Warhmmer.......... Zones, zones and you cannot enter this zone due to population limit, PvE cities multiple times a day because other side got beaten so badly or lack of population decided not to defend.  Now they introduce 4v4?  What's next?  Talking about not learning their lessons, talking about EPIC FAIL.

• LordLeMoyneLordLeMoyne Member Posts: 26

Excuse me - game going in a good direction?  I guess we'll never find out how many people quit for good after the epic multi-charge billing mess up?  Have you guys been following what's been going on in WAR, in terms of account hacking and the aforementioned?

Seriously I used to think of MMORPG.com as more of unbias place where people that are into MMORPG can get some good info, but lately I'm seeing lot of write up on games that giving me the impressions rather than provide us with  unbias reviews they are in bed with MMORPG developer trying to sell us the game even with it's obvious problems. 

• ChaosIncChaosInc Member Posts: 112

[quote]The final stage is particularly interesting, as the Chaos and Empire kings are both fighting each other, and four players (one of each archetype) are randomly selected as their King’s champions and take part in the battle. The champions are then physically enlarged (almost comically, as you can see in the image below) and the real focus becomes basically a 4v4 between the two groups of players.[/quote]

So basically after hundreds of people are sieging and defending, it boils down to an 4v4 arena battle?  And people think this is good?!?!!?

No thanks.  I'll pass.

NEWS FLASH! PAYING THE SUB IN F2P = NO DIFFERENCE THAN P2P GAMES!

Why the hell can't the whiners comprehend this?

• ChaosIncChaosInc Member Posts: 112

[quote] tag fail.  This should be fixed/changed.

NEWS FLASH! PAYING THE SUB IN F2P = NO DIFFERENCE THAN P2P GAMES!

Why the hell can't the whiners comprehend this?

Originally posted by ChaosInc

[quote]The final stage is particularly interesting, as the Chaos and Empire kings are both fighting each other, and four players (one of each archetype) are randomly selected as their King’s champions and take part in the battle. The champions are then physically enlarged (almost comically, as you can see in the image below) and the real focus becomes basically a 4v4 between the two groups of players.[/quote]

So basically after hundreds of people are sieging and defending, it boils down to an 4v4 arena battle?  And people think this is good?!?!!?

No thanks.  I'll pass.

No. The 4v4 champions fight is mixed in with the other players fighting.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

Sounds like scenario......and we all know how that end up.

• RemainsRemains Member UncommonPosts: 375

Being able to have both destro and order characters on the same server sounds like a mistake to me.

Sure, they did it in WoW and it worked somewhat well, but in WoW the PvP wasnt the main focus, and overall the PvP didnt have any too serious consequenses. In Warhammer the PvP is the main focus, so its more important that its balanced/functional.

Originally posted by Shien

Yes, the most popular part of the game, by far.

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Yes, the most popular part of the game, by far.

Kinda sad isn't it?

Kinda sad isn't it?

Yes, but that was Mythic's original design for the game.

No epic warfare, just gimmicky fights for short periods with a leaderboard at the end.

• jotulljotull Member Posts: 256

Yeah 1.3.5  the final stupidity.  The red plague is coming and it completely guts the PVE game and any diversity that WAR once had.  Yeah those six counter strike kiddies were so worth listening to.  Really why would anyone want to play WAR when there are much better PVP centric MMO's avalible?  WARs main problems was balance, end game, and Broken crafting. Gutting the PVE game, and fostering division bewteen a once deverse player base is probably the most stupid idea  in the MMO industry since NGE.

My prediction WAR will close by December 2010, and I have former Mythic employees that agree with me.

• QrajberQrajber Member UncommonPosts: 40

was in WAR till 2-3 months back  I can say about european servers that they have constant lag spikes /crashes non responcive client etc . and those are facts .I apriciate that they want to create city siege more RVR based but what will that bring even more bugged NPC`s who will teleport from one player to another or charge over half of a map and port back....

I have waited a year that Mythic fix obvious things which are usualy fixed in beta but after a year of wanting to tactics /skills work as they are supossed to be and to paly my game I just gave up 

I still keep one eye on the game but tbh with every patch they made they have just created more troubles than benefit due to lousy provider /client stability and general bugs

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

Heartbreak after Heartbreak,

and to think the people who pull the strings here are making ToR....

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

The changes sounded promising until I read:

"general confusion mainly, the latter of which highlighted what Carrie admitted as one of Mythic’s general weaknesses when implementing things into the game"

How long has Mythic been a game company?   And they STILL can't figure out how to make intuitive game mechanics that don't confuse people?    They are still making needlessly complicated systems and expect players to figure them out?

I'm still reminded of that god-awful tower scenario with the jumppads that WAR introduced (and which has since been deleted from the game) where Jeff Hickman said that he *liked* needing to play it 7-8 times before figuring out what was going on.   That was when I realized that Mythic only sounded like they had any common sense during the development of WAR, that they had been concealing that at their heart they're still old-school, previous generation MMORPG developer.    

If they're getting feedback like in the quote then they're still clearly making needlessly complicated mechanics and expecting players to do the work of figuring them out.   That might have worked back when only hardcore basement dwellers played MMORPGs, but it has no place in the modern market.

And I have to agree with the comments on the annoying love Mythic seems to have for CC.   I did enjoy the PvP but constantly being rooted/frozen/stunned and sitting there watching my character take damage was the worst part of it (I don't include knockback in CC because that's actually entertaining - at least *something* is happening to your character rather than them just standing there like a lump).

I'm less worried that EA is holding the strings for this game and SWTOR, I'm more worried about potential creep between Mythic and Bioware.    It's even more worrying when I see the amount of CC where characters stand there frozen in various ways in early videos of SWTOR.     

• MaendauronMaendauron Member Posts: 118

So when will they develop a proper expansion pack for the game? Increase levels and areas to play in???

• SquishemSquishem Member UncommonPosts: 10

I returned 2 weeks ago to try the free 10 day renewal to my account just for laughs and thats what I had, laughs. Zones have players but NOT grand fighting like I used to see. Their system promotes players who currently pvp and not promote for players to return. So you have to grind away to start over again to be at the same level as most players there now. It wasn't worth it. I played roughly 3 hours and I was done. New system or not its still the same Subpar Looney Toons bunch of people running this game into the ground. Their just running it quietly now.

• gathgath Member Posts: 424

Yeah, it's quite sad to see how bad WAR is turning into... my account isnt renewing.

I'll keep playing a couple trial twinks sometime, but that isnt quite the objective of hte game, is it?

And on a small side note, above mentioned: even if i come back, sure as hell will NOT be to EURO servers... they are complete crap. I have much less latency and server lag, playing in USA servers (yes, i do live in europe...) then i do when actually playing the european servers. That's how much they suck...

Senhores da Guerra

• AmorienAmorien Member Posts: 142

i just resubbed for the month , i really have nothing else to play anymore. i have to admit im Fudgin bored.

ive been playing a shadow warrior. im alone most of the day i spend about 2 hours doing pve with some Scenarios inbetween when they actually pop. T2 is empty as all can be.

not sure how you could make daoc then just destroy your follow up.

but i Blame it on the players. To many QQ ers. its the new generation who have Destroyed the mmo's of our time.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

I keep waiting for some announcement or new information about WAR that brings about an overall upward turn for the game (there will always be negative feedback about anything from some people regardless). Yet it just seems this game is in a perpetual state of hot potato since it launched. Everything Mythic does to try and fix issues with the game just ends up bringing about another one.

I was psyched for this game all during its development and was really expecting something spectacular from the way it was described - yes I fell for the hype and Paul Barnett's animated antics.

What was released didn't even seem to capture what Barnett had described as 'war being everywhere, all the time'. I mean, I suppose you can consider windmills being on fire, and explosions going off in the Greenskin starting area as an area being "under constant attack", but it's mere background dressing. If it wasn't there at all, it would have made no difference.

Another issue I had/have with the game.... *way* too much handholding. It's as though they were afraid they'd offend their players were they expected to think *at all* virtually, or if they weren't rewarded for even the most menial task.

The game just felt "meh" to me from the word go and every time I've come back it hasn't seemed to improve. Seems they're still struggling to make the game more appealing.

Question... are the "guided arrows" still in game? I'd put up a vid once to show a friend what I meant... If you launch an arrow at a moving target, it'll behave like a homing missle... turning, zig-zagging, etc... The effect is magnified by the fact that the speed of projectiles seemed to change based on distance. They would move at full speed at full distance, but if you were running at the target as they flew, the projectiles actually slowed down. It seemed as though ranged attacks were coded to hit their target in a set amount of time, the distance being a non-factor. It's bad enough when it's an arrow... but I saw the same effect on my Witch Hunter when I'd fire a gun... you saw the bullet moving at very slow speed (especially for a bullet) and it would zig-zag and maneuver around to follow the target. It was like watching a Looney Toons show. Did they ever fix that?

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops