Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why no Mechwarrior/Battletech MMO ??

voiicuvoiicu Member Posts: 37

Other then the obvious hurdles, liscensing and trademarks. 

Why on earth has there been no effort to make a MMO based on this franchise ?

The literature is soo deep and robust, there is multiple points of entry in the timeline. 

Player progression is obvious. Crafting is obvious. Even make trader professions. 

I dunno, its such an easy fit for such an amazing experience. 

Comments

• SkyebaneSkyebane Member Posts: 14

At one time there was a Battletech I gues youd proably call it an MMORPGFPS. You didnt reall advance your characterother than getting new mechs, and more money and new Tech. But was back in the days when most people needed services like compuserve with I belive is the company that hosted it.

Skyebane

• NekrataalNekrataal Member Posts: 557

Front Mission would be awesome too!

Yup, I'm with you man. A deep Mech centered world would be tons of fun.

::crossfingers::

We will probably see it made in a few years. It's  too big & interesting to let it go.

• paulrgodpaulrgod Member UncommonPosts: 240

While is isnt Mechwarrior and may not exactly be what you guys are looking for; It is  Mech based MMORPG.  Currently in CB - have a look :-

http://www.perpetuum-online.com/

I've had a go in CB and it's looking really good so far - it kind of reminded me of EVE but with mechs.  It was a little too complex for me to really get into but looked really polished.

Cheers

Paul

• AryasAryas Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 337

There is a game coming out that is along the lines of Mechwarrior called Perpetuum:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/438/Perpetuum.html

It looks similar, but I'm not following it closely so can't say much more.

Aryas

Playing: Ableton Live 8
    ~ ragequitcancelsubdeletegamesmashcomputerkillself ~

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I was thinking about this the other day. My first experience with online gaming was playing Mechwarrior 2 with a clan on the Grand Council over Kali in the mid 90s. I was the first Khan of clan Fire Mandril and we had many great wars with the other clans. It was an absolute blast and it really began my love for online gaming before I ever got into my first MMO...

I think the concept could work really well in an MMO if it was done correctly. Unfortunately I have lost faith in most game developers' abilities to make a quality MMO at this point.

• DaywolfDaywolf Member Posts: 749

Planetside? Anarchy Online? Then some mech games from the Orient, but never played those, anime style. Mech warrior Franchise would be good, but would probably need to be something like Planetside being pvp based but more of a sim as mech warrior is.

M59, UO, EQ1, WWIIOL, PS, EnB, SL, SWG. MoM, EQ2, AO, SB, CoH, LOTRO, WoW, DDO+ f2p's, Demo’s & indie alpha's.

• ScalperOneScalperOne Member Posts: 281

I loved mechwarrior. I think making it like the sp game would be a bit too difficult for the mainstream crowd to get into it, to be succesfull it would have to be geared at the specific group that likes these games and the company making it would have to expect NOT making 100 millions of dollars but be content with a small profit.

I think for it to work it should be war based. Two or three big conflicts fought over. Cities that can be conquered, whole countries/planets that can be conquered/destroyed. It would be epic.

Advancment could be done with merrit, merrit you gain by repairin/building/scouting and combat. More merrit the bigger mechs one can use etc etc.

It would be awesome. I hope somebody makes a game like this based on mechwarrior.

• AristidesAristides Member Posts: 172

My possibly incorrect understanding from third-hand rumor is that the key license is being sat upon by some holding company or other.  So it really does come down to the intellectual property rights standing in the way.

• dirtyhippy1dirtyhippy1 Member Posts: 45

im close personal friends with a CEO of a very large game development company.  Their company has not yet taken on an mmo but are considering it.  I believe the reason he said there isnt a Btech mmo at this time is because the IP has been flipfloping between microsoft, FASA, and Smith and Tinker so other than sell offs/legal battles/and start up toy companies trying to get into the industry theres been no real movement of the IP.  (other than Piranha Games/Smith and Tinker collaboration on the new mechwarrior5)

Battletech mmo would be epic though...i toot my horn every chance i can about this to my buddy.  he just laughs...

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Hm pretty sure i've seen this topic a few times, but i'm all for a MechWarrior game, not so much BattleTech.

Mechwarrior already has some simple factions, mechs, and lore to do it, whereas BattlesTech is just too deep and expansive to make an mmo that is balanced and true to it's fans.

Though if I remember correctly there is/was one in the making called Perpetum (not sure on the spelling), but it was either canceled or P2P, it's been awhile so I don't quite remember.

In the meantime there is Exsteel, but it is basically Gundam (sigh).

• Jester47Jester47 Member Posts: 90

I'd rather have a Crimson Skies MMO.

• voiicuvoiicu Member Posts: 37

Ok so i should have stated that i have played every single giant robot game on the market. I even owned Steel Battalions for the original Xbox (Giant controller with twin sticks and foot pedals, and like 50 or so buttons/switches). 

All of these have never captured my interest as much as the Battletech and Mechawarrior franchise has. 

I think i was watching perpetum when it was under a different name. Back then it was just not enough to interest me, i will do a more looking into it now.

Oh, if there is a MMO made, i demand it have ejections and players who can run around on foot with an inferno launcher :) For you super old school guys Crescent Hawks inception.

Also, i did play Multiplayer BattleTech on....ugh America Online. But that game had so many copyright issues it was sad.

Smith and Tinker need to get there crap sorted and figure out what is happening with MW5 (yes thats MECHWARRIOR 5 not Modern Warfare 5).

Originally posted by Jester47

I'd rather have a Crimson Skies MMO.

You know what, i just want a Dang good FASA based MMO made. 

Shadowrun would even fit MMO's more so then Mechwarrior/Battletech.

Chummer.

• Zen_BladeZen_Blade Member UncommonPosts: 106

I think a BT/MW MMOG is inevitable and would be excellent if done well.  I believe there are some IP (Intellectual Property) issues going on still that are preventing this, but hopefully that gets worked out in the not to distant future.

Think EVE style space with drop ships and fighters that battle in space and then you have said drop ships deploy their mechs on other worlds where the conflicts are to do ground based combat.  Mix in some healthy House/Clan lore and storyline and even some player missions outside of mech/ships and you could flesh out a killer Sci-Fi universe full of story, drama, politics, economic diversity, and of course combat.  There is so much potential for this IP in a MMOG, I only hope they do it justice when the time comes.

• zantaxzantax Member Posts: 254

Not sure if I would want Battletech, I am kinda partial to Robotech.  I think the backround and IP would be great in an MMO personally.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

rf online in asia is uber and i believe its prety much mechwarrior battleteck stuff if im not mistaken!

• Zen_BladeZen_Blade Member UncommonPosts: 106

Originally posted by drbaltazar

rf online in asia is uber and i believe its prety much mechwarrior battleteck stuff if im not mistaken!

RF Online is nowhere near Battletech/Mechwarrior in style, lore, combat, or otherwise.

Originally posted by drbaltazar

Umm sorry but RF online is a lame cash shop game with three races and one of those has large pilotable robots... that suck.

i think recently there  was a 4th race added.

While i am here, i love Robotech, but i am looking more towards Piloting mecha not sitting in one and becoming it. 

MEchwarrior you pilot the mechs...Robotech and Gundam and several others are more of like a giant suit of armor.

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

I have often wondered this myself.  Along with Traveller and Space Opera.  No clue why those do not seem to work themselves into some form of MMO.

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• DaywolfDaywolf Member Posts: 749

Originally posted by voiicu but i am looking more towards Piloting mecha not sitting in one and becoming it. 

Yep, where you can jump out and repair it. have full sim hud, Exit and enter your base... or infiltrate an enemy base where your mech would not fit (like to grab secret plans out of a room). Hand rig explosives. Take on passengers/gunners. There was an indie project going on in Multiverse, but last I checked month or two ago, it wasn't ready, and I don't know much byond it's a mech game and a mix of eastern and western style mechs. Force of Arms, seems to have a page here at mmorpg: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/286/Force-of-Arms.html

M59, UO, EQ1, WWIIOL, PS, EnB, SL, SWG. MoM, EQ2, AO, SB, CoH, LOTRO, WoW, DDO+ f2p's, Demo’s & indie alpha's.

Originally posted by Daywolf

Originally posted by voiicu but i am looking more towards Piloting mecha not sitting in one and becoming it. 

Yep, where you can jump out and repair it. have full sim hud, Exit and enter your base... or infiltrate an enemy base where your mech would not fit (like to grab secret plans out of a room). Hand rig explosives. Take on passengers/gunners. There was an indie project going on in Multiverse, but last I checked month or two ago, it wasn't ready, and I don't know much byond it's a mech game and a mix of eastern and western style mechs. Force of Arms, seems to have a page here at mmorpg: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/286/Force-of-Arms.html

Ahh thats the game i was following like 4 years ago. Heres hoping its seen more advances.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

A mmo based of off Appleseed ex machinima would be awesome or Big O

• ChuckanarChuckanar Member UncommonPosts: 210

I would buy it if done decently. Loved Mechwarrior. Spent way to much back when they had the pods you could sit in and play with really bad graphics.

Originally posted by Chuckanar

I would buy it if done decently. Loved Mechwarrior. Spent way to much back when they had the pods you could sit in and play with really bad graphics.

OMg those pods were like a dream of mine, i read that some billionaire purchased 4 of them for home use.

• NekrataalNekrataal Member Posts: 557

Perpetuum being like EVE kills it in the bud for me. Real time skill trainning is the worst concept to ever emerge in the MMO world. I bet they'll even go as far as copy there P2P + RMT bullshit. Thanks, but no thanks.

Being able to get in early  to be on top of the game wont change the fact that its a bad game design imo. I wont trample what I believe in to be on top & thats called integrety. Thats too bad, because I really want to play a Mech MMO...