Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: EVE Survivor Guy, Part Five

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com's Adam Tingle sets out on his fourth week of exploration in EVE Online as he writes about this adventures, good and bad, coming into the game for the first time.

EVE Online Screenshot

Survival is tough--especially in space. Eve Online is a game of depth and mystery, one wrong step and you will find yourself on the wrong side of a laser turret; go into this game unprepared and welcome a myriad of confusion and tender despair. My mission was simple; survive in Eve Online for eight weeks and report my trials and tribulations. I knew this would be hard but still I was unprepared. This is Eve Online Survivor Guy.

Week Five: Down and Out in New Eden

It has been five long weeks since I started my survival in Eve Online, I had enjoyed my experience but constantly tasted the bittersweet element of mind boggling depth the game offers. As I now stand in my survival I feel myself hitting a brick wall; I am now static, without purpose, unknowing of what I am to do next but scrabbling for my next hit of space adventure which the game dangles above like a metaphorical pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Most of my playing time had been cancelled down, invested in pursuits of knowledge on the Internet, a frantic search for some sort of hint or tip, helpful comments on previous posts seemingly have yielded more questions. I knew Eve Online was to be a difficult mistress, I had heard the tales of its murderous learning curve, now I bore witness to those foreboding scenes.

Read EVE Survivor Guy, Part Five.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• miscusmiscus Member Posts: 1

Eve was and will be tricky game. For certain kind of people, that are willing to participate in quite different and unique experience. Hate it or love it, I'm enjoying mself

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

I think the problem with the writer is that they need a paradigm shift.

He even says that games like EQ have always led him by the hand.

Like other sandbox games, EVE is more about actually being in that world and assuming a role. As the writer later says:

Week five had been a difficult week. I had carried on in my routine activities and had found this a little disparaging, I ultimately wanted to advance and progress but had found myself hitting a brick wall, I had become static and it was becoming the greatest threat to my survival. In many ways this week had become filler, just something I had to get through until hopefully my application to Eve University and others may be accepted. In order to satiate my despair I had indulged in the adventurous and devilish piracy that I had heard of, of course in a very minor scale but it was exciting and enjoyable. Still I found myself scrabbling and on the ropes, my survival in Eve Online was becoming tougher and now it had become a battle of will. Would I be able to continue if my fortunes didn't look up? Once thing is for sure, I had a hell of a lot of reading to be doing.

I don't view it as filler at all. I view it as relearning or reassessing old habits. It's as if he needed to break out of that mold of get quest/do quest/get another quest and start asserting himself into his own game play.

The game is hard for him because he so desperately is applying knowledge of other games to this game and wondering why it's not working.

Instead of making an assertion of what role he will fulfill and then fulfilling it he is looking to external ways to define himself rather than just defining himself based upon what he wants.

It's only at the end he makes a discovery that when you are proactive you get interesting game play. If anything this is probably one of the best things he could have done.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

Nice to see the author making progress toward joining Eve-U (or any feeder corp would be good as well I imagine).

If he feels stuck, he might try reading http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Main_Page and looking at the "For Rookies" section. Also, I don't recall if he mentioned it, but if he is looking for an objective to complete while waiting on his corp application to go through, why not look at Epic Mission arcs? It would certainly provide a short term goal and perhaps sense of accomplishment. Other then that, I haven't heard much about his efforts in exploration, so that might be another part of the game for him to investigate.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• LexingtonLexington Member Posts: 73

i cant remember what it was called exactly, but they had a minor high-security space PVP thing, I believe it was called Factional Warfare.  In this you would talk to a NPC, who would give you a mission to defend or attack, and when you get their, their would be other Humans in their ships waiting.(lots of frigates)

I cant say thats exactly how it goes, as i never did it, but i had always wished i had done it, becuase it actually sounded like fun.  whenever i had pvp'd, it was out in 0.0 space, and i usually lost more then frigates.

• LordmonkusLordmonkus Member Posts: 808

Keep climbing that learning wall, you are almost there. Once you reach the top you will be rewarded with far more than some epic purple pixels and same old same old dance routine raid boss.

• AristidesAristides Member Posts: 172

There's plenty to do in EVE... but the onus is on the player to choose.

• flydowntomeflydowntome Member Posts: 106

Join Red Vs Blue. They take anyone in usually a day or less, and it will get you some PvP action that you can do with cheap ships.

I wouldn't bother with many player run corps. You need a lot of SP to get in a decent one, and you'll do a lot more waiting then, unless you want to mine rocks for your EVE career. Especially since you did what  I did and spread skills rather than focusing.

People talk a lot of crap about EVE though, there really isn't all that much beyond what you are doing. Just doing it with a group makes the boring a little less boring.

• ClattucClattuc Member UncommonPosts: 163

No offense but this is one of the more pointless article series I have run across on this site.  For one thing, unless you delete your character/account, you will always "Survive" in EVE Online.  You may be podded, you may be impoverished, you may do nothing but sit in station and QQ on the chat channels, but you will "survive."  So essentially the whoie premise is questionable.

What matters in EVE is not whether you "survive" but whether you enjoy your gameplay.  There are many ways to enjoy MMO's: you can simply immerse yourself in the gorgeous universe and not worry so much about wealth and kills and such; you can socialize with other players; or you can set some particular goals towards character advancement and work towards those goals.

Not bothering to learn what your goals are, or what a reasonable set of goals might be, virtually guarantees frustration - and if you write it up as an article series, it guarantees reader frustration.

I think of MMORPG.COM as catering to smart players.  Smart players know to research your game before you plunge blindly in.  Smart players know to take a break if you hit a brick wall - or if your starter corp has a 5 day wait list.

If this writer decides to lose the fake-naive attitude and make a serious effort to improve in EVE, it might make an interesting read.

• nightbird305nightbird305 Member UncommonPosts: 272

Originally posted by Clattuc

No offense but this is one of the more pointless article series I have run across on this site.  For one thing, unless you delete your character/account, you will always "Survive" in EVE Online. 

By "survive" I think he means continuing to play (aka staying subbed to) this game.

• EveeldourEveeldour Member UncommonPosts: 143

Yar!!! Now set destination to rancer and gogog :)

• WeredexisWeredexis Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by Eveeldour

Yar!!! Now set destination to rancer and gogog :)

Heh, now that he has commited piraty acts, he'll be chased down by the Rancer Defence League.

Jokes aside, as other posters pointed out:

You need to talk to people in space and make friends. EvE can be played as a single-player game with incredible AI, but I think it's better to consider EvE a social game with many opportunities to have fun. I loathed mining, but enjoyed going on mining ops with people from my rookie corp. I have run missions with people that worked for the same agent as I did, allthough they where in different corps. We used to congratulate each other everytime we had achieved a new skill-level. The few people that had worked together like this formed a player run corporation and we eventually formed an alliance. We had a short stay in 0.0, until the owner of the systems we lived was overthrown. At each step the game played slightly differently. That's what makes people play after 7 years of EvE.

The post about faction warfare is slightly misleading. Faction warfare missions are only a part of what you can do in faction warfare. While it's possible to get fights in frigates against pilots of similar age and experience as one self, and faction warfare is indeed less harsh then 0.0, we do see carriers and battleship-fleet deployments. Faction warfare is not Kindergarten, it's a permanent wardec taking full effect in low-sec and semi-sheltered in high-sec.

Hope this helps.

• sjp117sjp117 Member Posts: 3

5 days for an application isn't really a big draw back. Sooner or later you will be waiting for a skill to train for 5 days to play with a new skill because you feel like you don't want to do anything until you get to play with a new ship or module. As I said on my previous comment on part 4. You will not survive EVE in a short time frame and don't worry. If you feel like taking a break for a few days, take it. EVE in not the type of game that tries to be fun for you. The fun part of EVE I think is when you get to the end and you look back at all the hardship you went through. And when I mean "the end" I don't mean when you go to 0.0 and fly a titan (even I didn't get there) I mean when ever a long time passed on a problem and you find yourself on a boring day and have nothing special to do but to look back and think of what just happened. And the way you can enjoy this even more is when you have someone to share stories. Once you get into a corp like EVE University, you will meet people who played EVE for years and when you hear their stories you will most likely find them enjoyable and wish you were there when it happened. The fun don't always come from playing with your space ship either. The most fun I had was with people, some people are just really funny and sometimes stupid. Even listening to your enemy talk trash at you is funny sometimes (my corp had a rule to never reply to trash talks unless we were officers in the corp).

I never played games like EverQuest, but if there is anything I think makes EVE strange from other MMO's I played is that, EVE dose not always try to be fun when you play it, but it becomes fun after a period of time. Its as if a day of game play is only a fragment of the actual fun that you realize later when its all over. 5 weeks of game play is almost nothing, EVE has no day and life cycle if you haven't noticed, the day and night cycle is the real life cycle so it will take as long as your life (well maybe not as much, but you get the picture) so things can be very slow, but you'll get use to it and get use to using your time more efficiently. 

Some one said here that you have to be a smart player to survive and you have to research before playing and search the internet while playing like you are, but I would personally save the questions until you get into a corp. Once your in you can ask all the questions in your mind specially since your getting into EVE University. Asking = talking = bigger attention and you'll get to learn a lot without actually researching yourself. You think asking too much will give you a negative impression? Don't always talk to one person. You can even ask your peers and start a discussion (even better if your corp has a forum and voice chat). Looking back, I think I spent more time talking than I actually played. I was a once a noob and asked questions (well I was a bit of an anti-social kind so I just listened, but I changed) and later on I became an instructor in our recruitment corp and I enjoyed answering anyone's questions, so don't worry about asking a lot to your instructors in EVE University. 

Important thing here!

You have to use voice communication. I'm not just saying this. I'm sure EVE University has a ventrilo server, team speak server or EVE Voice so get yourself a mice and start talking, literally, talk with your voice and listen to people's voice. Voice communication will change the whole game from a silent empty space with only boom bang and text to such a more colorful experience. The game changes the moment you use voice communication. Even if you are not comfortable with voice chatting at least listen to people's voice and sooner or later you will not play another game without voice chat. Maybe people know this already, but just to let more people know about voice chat.

I knew sooner or later you will write a part about having nothing to do :) There is nothing strange about this. It is completely normal. Boredom is the probably the only thing that can kill an immortal. There was an alien race in Star Trek who became so advanced that they can no longer die and after doing everything the universe can offer them, they decided to suicide after taking the form of a human in the Voyager (I think it was star trek voyager) and there is an old story about witches who were immortal and the only way they die was for them to be bored of life. In every story about immortals like you who ingame is a capsulear, an immortal, dies only when they are bored. So to survive is to not be bored, to have fun, no matter what. To kill your enemy is to make them bored and for you to have fun. The amount of ships you lose means nothing if you are still having fun, the amount of ship you destroy means nothing if your not having fun, the amount of money you make means nothing if your not having fun. So remember, to survive is to have fun. Go where the fun takes you. (I bet any gamer knows this already, but oh well)

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

the seach for corp is something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1203clOZt4  :D:D:D if you wamnt quality corp ......

BestSigEver :P

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

Originally posted by sjp30

EVE in not the type of game that tries to be fun for you. The fun part of EVE I think is when you get to the end and you look back at all the hardship you went through.

Almost right.  You look back and wonder why the hell you just spent that much of your life on something that made you miserable and "in a funk" for so long.   Shoot rocks or shoot guys shooting rocks.  Lots and lots of week 5's in the future.

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

Originally posted by choujiofkono

EVE in not the type of game that tries to be fun for you. The fun part of EVE I think is when you get to the end and you look back at all the hardship you went through.

Almost right.  You look back and wonder why the hell you just spent that much of your life on something that made you miserable and "in a funk" for so long.   Shoot rocks or shoot guys shooting rocks.  Lots and lots of week 5's in the future.

Seriously troll give it up, clearly you don't have a game to play because you suck so bad at all of them you feel compelled to make up shit about Eve because it's where you failed the most. You have already been proven wrong on the shooting rocks thing now please just go crawl in a hole somewhere. Need I remind you of the fact I am an '03 player that has not mined a single rock since launch ? Oh you just ignore that fact because it does in fact prove what you say to be completely false.

• DerrialDerrial Member Posts: 250

Sounds to me like this article could be subtitled "EVE Online Gets Boring After Four Weeks."

• AngorimAngorim Member Posts: 466

Ahh, another person who has absolutely no idea what they're talking about with a personal vendetta on a game that is obviously too complex for them to grasp.

That's never been seen before!

• HatedbyallHatedbyall Member Posts: 31

Looks like you having it worse then I did in the Game..after two weeks flying and doing missons i joined a little corp that with about 10 active ppl, all in the military/ police force it was fun for a little longer made some isk. Got a hauler and crusier after 3 more weeks but still felt like this game wasn't for me...I never did try being a small time pirate tho...maybe i should of tryed but i sure did like to screw with the ppl stealing my stuff...might give it a other try when i get back tho

Played:TheRealm,FFXI,WoW,FE,Eve
    Playing: Nothing( stuck on a ship)
    Future play: FFXIV,SW:TOR

Originally posted by Lordmonkus

Seriously troll give it up, clearly you don't have a game to play because you suck so bad at all of them you feel compelled to make up shit about Eve because it's where you failed the most. You have already been proven wrong on the shooting rocks thing now please just go crawl in a hole somewhere. Need I remind you of the fact I am an '03 player that has not mined a single rock since launch ? Oh you just ignore that fact because it does in fact prove what you say to be completely false.

03? wow i feel sorry for you.  Go go gadget fanboi. 

No offense but at this point you'll defend all that time you spent on it even if it was a complete was of time.  Which it is.  I can't even stand thinking of the months I wasted on it.  It make me puke in my mouth a little. 

03? wow i feel sorry for you.  Go go gadget fanboi. 

No offense but at this point you'll defend all that time you spent on it even if it was a complete was of time.  Which it is.  I can't even stand thinking of the months I wasted on it.  It make me puke in my mouth a little. 

Still doesn't change the fact you are a troll and a liar.

• LifePositiveLifePositive Member UncommonPosts: 130

I can't help but get the impression that you're overblowing this first impression. Or you're doing something wrong. I was in a corporation with active members, voice chat, an alliance, and a wardec in my first week of the free trial. I was flying Cruisers and doing some PvP-ops before I even had an active account. I still haven't hit the brick wall of boredom you're waxing melodramatic about. I've lost some ships, sure, but losing a ship because your corp is wardeced by hardened vets with superior firepower, or because you wandered through a wormhole and got fracked by Sleepers, or because you went toe-to-toe with pirates and didn't come out on top... well, there is an element of raw, visceral excitement even in losing. And winning? Polishing off an Epic Story Arc, wasting people in low-sec with your corp, or going exploring solo and fending off pirates are all bloody awesome!

“How do you kill that which has no life

• HatedbyallHatedbyall Member Posts: 31

Originally posted by Manveru

I can't help but get the impression that you're overblowing this first impression. Or you're doing something wrong. I was in a corporation with active members, voice chat, an alliance, and a wardec in my first week of the free trial. I was flying Cruisers and doing some PvP-ops before I even had an active account. I still haven't hit the brick wall of boredom you're waxing melodramatic about. I've lost some ships, sure, but losing a ship because your corp is wardeced by hardened vets with superior firepower, or because you wandered through a wormhole and got fracked by Sleepers, or because you went toe-to-toe with pirates and didn't come out on top... well, there is an element of raw, visceral excitement even in losing. And winning? Polishing off an Epic Story Arc, wasting people in low-sec with your corp, or going exploring solo and fending off pirates are all bloody awesome!

His having a hard time because of the type of person he is...when given no limits when your used to that hand guiding you can be hard to understand for some....also it could be how he plays games...I for one am not the biggest risk taker...i perfer to think things out and then apply what I beleive would be the best thing to do which at time can make slow game play in a game like EVE...As for you...one either got lucky getting that corp or you just like to get into things and think about it later/ or right then and there...it really makes all the difference one how you play any game....

Played:TheRealm,FFXI,WoW,FE,Eve
    Playing: Nothing( stuck on a ship)
    Future play: FFXIV,SW:TOR

Everyone that voices dissent on this game is lableled a troll or a liar.  People that defend the game and ignore it's glaring faults are labeled as fanbois. 

It's never going to change so lets skip the drama and just let people know the nuts and bolts of the game.  For every post that's made claiming this game is a "good game" there is going to be an answer to that post saying how much the game is a "bad game".

these are not lies

a.  takes forever to do any serious pvp (questionable if this is even worth doing)

b.  almost impossible to play the game without shooting rocks (the vast majority either shoot rocks for their cash or "bot" mine which is just stupid.)  There are countless posts on the official site which cleary point this out. 

c.  missions in eve are boring and drain your soul from your body after you spend the time jumping

Since this is the information i give people when they ask about the game it neither makes me a troll or a liar.  Just becuase someone doesn't like the game doesn't make them a troll.  A troll has nothing of value to add to the post.  Helping new players avoid a craptastic game is of huge value to people that don't want to waste the money = everyone.

• LifePositiveLifePositive Member UncommonPosts: 130

Originally posted by Hatedbyall

Originally posted by Manveru

His having a hard time because of the type of person he is...when given no limits when your used to that hand guiding you can be hard to understand for some....also it could be how he plays games...I for one am not the biggest risk taker...i perfer to think things out and then apply what I beleive would be the best thing to do which at time can make slow game play in a game like EVE...As for you...one either got lucky getting that corp or you just like to get into things and think about it later/ or right then and there...it really makes all the difference one how you play any game....

I suppose that's true. I have that sort of expansive personality type that is more interested in the pursuit of a thing than actually having the thing. I tend to lose interest with accomplishments once they are complete, and promptly move on to something new. Environments that facilitate extreme freedom are generally pretty comfortable for me.

“How do you kill that which has no life

Everyone that voices dissent on this game is lableled a troll or a liar.  People that defend the game and ignore it's glaring faults are labeled as fanbois. 

It's never going to change so lets skip the drama and just let people know the nuts and bolts of the game.  For every post that's made claiming this game is a "good game" there is going to be an answer to that post saying how much the game is a "bad game".

these are not lies

a.  takes forever to do any serious pvp (questionable if this is even worth doing)

Lies. I have seen many players come into Eve and be involved in all levels of PvP within a week. It's all up to the player and their menyal attitude towards the game.

b.  almost impossible to play the game without shooting rocks (the vast majority either shoot rocks for their cash or "bot" mine which is just stupid.)  There are countless posts on the official site which cleary point this out. 

Lies. I never mined after I found to be boring as hell in beta and I do not bot and I make plenty of money in game.

c.  missions in eve are boring and drain your soul from your body after you spend the time jumping

Jumping that 1 jump sometimes is so rough, most missions are in the same system as the agent . Don't do it if you dont like it, that's the beauty of this game you can do whatever you want. Just because you can't think beyond mining and missioning this does not mean there isn't something else to do.

Since this is the information i give people when they ask about the game it neither makes me a troll or a liar.  Just becuase someone doesn't like the game doesn't make them a troll.  A troll has nothing of value to add to the post.  Helping new players avoid a craptastic game is of huge value to people that don't want to waste the money = everyone.

Umm yes it does, telling people things are not true does make you a liar and repeatedly posting lies about a game is indeed trolling.

After some thought I wanted to say yes, yes I am a fanboi. Why woudn't I be a fan of the most immersive MMO gameworld on the market today ? I don't need to defend it at all, I am proud to say that I have the mental capacity to have learned this game and to see what makes it so damn good.

I love the fact Eve has a learning wall and not a curve, it keeps the windowlicking fools out of this game. If you can't read this game is not for you. If you can't think for yourself this game is not for you. If you aren't a greedy lootwhore this game is not for you. If you need to be told what to do and when to do it this game is not for you.

Eve is a game for the intellectually superior, those of us that get and understand this game we wouldn't want it any other way. Do I think I am better than everyone else ? No I don't  think this, but I am better than the people like you who have nothing better to do than to bash a game repeatedly with bullshit lies.

Are you sad that Fisher Price toys are too complex for you ?