Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: Play Order and Destruction on the Same Server in 1.3.6

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Carrie Gouskos recently released her April 2010 Producer's Letter which focused on the upcoming 1.3.5 changes, as well as a number of community initiatives the Mythic team are focusing on, including Ventrilo developer chats. The real standout of Carrie's letter, however, were new details on 1.3.6. Carrie revealed that come 1.3.6 players would be able to create both Order and Destruction characters on the same servers.

For those of you worried about rampant cross-realming, Carrie's assured us that the change would come with a massive lockout timer to prevent just that,  so don't get the pitchforks out just yet!

Read the full letter here.

We recently interviewed Carrie Gouskos on patch 1.3.5, where she also revealed to us some additional details on 1.3.6, so be sure to check it out!

Comments

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Prep for 1 NA and 1 EU server?

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• MMOrUSMMOrUS Member Posts: 414

I'm surprised that Blizzard hasn't done this for WoW, though it's probably in the pipeline and will added as a paid service to squeeze more cash out of it's members.

Originally posted by MMOrUS

I'm surprised that Blizzard hasn't done this for WoW, though it's probably in the pipeline and will added as a paid service to squeeze more cash out of it's members.

You can already play both factions on one server in WoW.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

The idea of having a few random people become something like large superheroes in a fight sounds like lots of fun. Sadly I haven't reactivated my WAR account for a looong time, and until some actually new content gets released, and not only tweaking existing one, I won't do so.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

what do you mean blizard havent done this? If your meaning that they havent allowed you to play both factions on the same server, well they have, several months back and it has totally ruined alot of servers. Many have paid to switch most of their characters to the opposite faction on the same server whilst keeping a low/hardly played character.

Alot of servers are now 90-95% 1 faction based, leaving the remaining players totally up the pipehole on those servers with some places never again obtainable to do. Some things like for the alliance/for the horde  (mainly alliance as most players are now horde on almost all servers) and what you have is people switchign factions and doing warning shouts so they can get rdy to stop them (usually 500 people waiting to kill 30-40 that are going for teh achievement).

Anyways, thats above the point, blizard have allowed you to play both factions on the same server and its ruined quite a few (but has brought in alot of revenue with people paying to switch servers or join the already overflowing faction population). Warhammer may suffer as they do not have a 10th of teh servers blizard has, so this could be the nail in the coffin.

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Not on a PvP server you can't

I should have been more clear, I meant on the PvP servers.

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

Is it only me who thinks this is very bad move and will only destroy PVP further? if destro is losing log on to your Order alt and when Order is losing hop onto your destruction alt?

Not on a PvP server you can't

At one time, you couldn't, but you can now.

Originally posted by Shastra

Is it only me who thinks this is very bad move and will only destroy PVP further? if destro is losing log on to your Order alt and when Order is losing hop onto your destruction alt?

It's not only you. It is a bad idea.

As I said - it appears that they are prepping for merging to one server on each side of the Atlantic.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

dunno, I'll always play an underdog faction.

scenarios pop more often, more red to kill..... from my experience it sucks to be in the overpopulated faction

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Hmm, I prefer MMO's where decisions mean something. At least I was only in trial yet. *shrug*

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

Yeah IMO this hastened the downfall of DAoC.

• GreenLanternFanGreenLanternFan Member Posts: 374

It's not only you. It is a bad idea.

As I said - it appears that they are prepping for merging to one server on each side of the Atlantic.

Agreed, I consider myself someone that likes to choose his words wisely but in this case all I can say is that it is quite evident that this game has had the most fn' incompetent monkeys driving the game into the ground since the very beginning. It's as if they've had a death wish like none other before it.

The fucktards making the decisions for this game just have to be secretly employed by a competitor. I refuse to believe otherwise. Only one company could be that stupid and SOE already holds that mantle.

Your fail comment, failed.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Another move away from what made DAOC a great game, and why this one is found to be so lacking.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• zaphorzaphor Member Posts: 20

What change I was not happy to see.

• zaphorzaphor Member Posts: 20

Originally posted by zaphor

What change I was not happy to see.

oops

One change I was not happy to see

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

As was said in the OP without having to read the full article, there will be significant lockout timers to prevent hopping on alts to help the other side. All theyre doing is allowing you 2 play both sides on the same server, rather than having to have toons on 2 seperate servers for opposing factions. You wont be allowed to just relog and switch instantly. I would expect it would be minimum 1-2 hour or so lockout timer. Thats more than enough time to cause any real impact to anything currently going on in order to give 1 side too much of an advantage.

Though i am kind of wondering exactly how that is going to work. Will you need to log off of 1 faction, tell the game you want to switch... and then just wait for the timer to switch over without being able to play? Or will you be able to tell it you want to switch, and continue playing your current toon until the switch actually takes place. Seems like a pretty bad move if in order to switch, youve got to logout and wait an extended period of time before being able to even play at all.

• LazerouLazerou Member Posts: 202

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Though i am kind of wondering exactly how that is going to work. Will you need to log off of 1 faction, tell the game you want to switch... and then just wait for the timer to switch over without being able to play? Or will you be able to tell it you want to switch, and continue playing your current toon until the switch actually takes place. Seems like a pretty bad move if in order to switch, youve got to logout and wait an extended period of time before being able to even play at all.

I would see it working like this:

You log in your Order char  - the lock out timer starts. For the next 2 hours you can only play your order characters. But after two hours the lockout time is open. Then you can choose to switch to Destruction. If you do switch, the lockout timer starts again. Now for the next two hours you can only play Destruction characters.

So this does in some way prevent you from switching one faction to see what they are doing and then immediately switching back to the other to participate in the prevention of any enemy plans within the next 2 hours. Of course it doesn't stop you telling the rest of your guild/alliance over voicechat, it's just that for the next 2 hours you are locked into having to inform on the enemy - but this allows you to keep feeding them accurate info right up to the point of the lockout expiring.

But really is there that much rivalry in the game these days? Do people really care? Is someone going to come out and shock me and say that "realm pride" exists in Warhammer?

• DracondisDracondis Member UncommonPosts: 177

Still waiting for Skavin.

• QrajberQrajber Member UncommonPosts: 40

if bugs /client stability and other numerous things didn`t killed this game this will for sure ......what a joke for all those who wanted to love theyeres class and realm how can you even create a solid guild or some tactics when people will flip sides as they like ?

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Prep for 1 NA and 1 EU server?

I don't see why not, given that WAR is more dependent on active and numerous population on any single server than other MMOs, thanks to it's RvR focus.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member Posts: 1,880

they shot themselves in the foot out of the gate with WAR. Sure AoC did the same thing and botched their launch but at least their game is starting to grow again and has a new expansion. WAR is just in a death dive. The thing is the game is really fun but to be honest they really never listened to the community about endgame. Also you can play both horde and alliance on the same pvp server now they changed that a while back.

• SenarusSenarus Member Posts: 11

Looks like EA Mythic is gonna stick the nail in this coffin.... R.I.P Warhammer

Originally posted by Senarus

Looks like EA Mythic is gonna stick the nail in this coffin.... R.I.P Warhammer

Time to nail that muffin.