Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wurm Online voted top 20 game ever

ronssonronsson Member UncommonPosts: 20

The readers of PC Gamer recently voted Wurm Online to be the top 20 game ever on their top 100 game list. The MMO's that got better ranking are Eve Online (3) and WoW (14).

My name is Rolf Jansson and I am the main developer of that game and am very interested in your thoughts about that rank.

I know some of you have tried it out and of hate it for various reasons but we also do have a score of 7.4 here which means quite a few here also appreciate it. Many of those votes are from years ago when the game was a lot less developed.

Also, welcome to come see why it received that spot. Free download, free to try out for as long as you wish. Excuse the unpolished tutorial. Also please do rate it here. Maybe keep in mind that I don't consider us to be at version 1.0 yet.

In short:

Large interactive, living breathing fantasy world where plants and trees grow. You can terraform most parts of it.

You mine tunnels and caverns where creatures spawn. You build roads. You build settlements and can form alliances.

You can become ruler of a kingdom and appoint a court. Mysterious deities and religions you can join.

Optional full loot pvp in the kingdom versus kingdom wars. Basically trying to be all you ever wished for:)

Comments

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

Sounds like some good old fashion ballot stuffing.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• ronssonronsson Member UncommonPosts: 20

Yes it does, doesn't it?

I haven't found any proof of that though. In any case the magazine writes quite a lot about Wurm and have a pretty active community in the game. And of course, every game with different versions and expansions had their own vote which spreads it out.

• ScalperOneScalperOne Member Posts: 281

I browsed your website and it looks good enough to try out, so when my dear beloved wife gives me some free time I will check it out. ;)

• WilliacWilliac Member Posts: 212

Wurm has many ideas that could make it a top 10 game! However, when i tried it a few months ago i was turned off by the graphics and how difficult it was to get started. I remember something about the controls that bugged me a bit and the UI, but i can't remember what part of it. I may just go back to check it out!

Great ideas though! Would deff. be playing if the graphics were improved! (graphic whore!)

• bobblerbobbler Member UncommonPosts: 810

I use to play that game...But I still don't like that someone who obviously lied was put into a position as GM.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Top 20 MMO's of all time, maybe, Top 20 game of all time, not even sure EVE deserves to be on that list, (esp with WOW at #14) so I'd have to say the ratings are suspect unless of course, it was done by PC Gamer staff members voting rather than by the public.

Never have tried out WURM, steered clear of it due to its reputation as a good, but quite unfinished game.  OP's confirms this somewwhat by stating that its not at version 1.0 yet.  I have a low tolerance for shenanigans so I really don't test beta's or join games at launch these days if I can help it. (and I certainly don't pay for incomplete products)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

[quote] [i]Originally posted by Kyleran[/i] [b]Top 20 MMO's of all time, maybe, Top 20 game of all time, not even sure EVE deserves to be on that list, (esp with WOW at #14) so I'd have to say the ratings are suspect unless of course, it was done by PC Gamer staff members voting rather than by the public.[/b] [b]Never have tried out WURM, steered clear of it due to its reputation as a good, but quite unfinished game.  OP's confirms this somewwhat by stating that its not at version 1.0 yet.  I have a low tolerance for shenanigans so I really don't test beta's or join games at launch these days if I can help it. (and I certainly don't pay for incomplete products)[/b] [/quote]

Agreed....this would have to be a PC Gamer employee poll thing, or MMO related. More than likely I would think it is a concerted effort by some fans utilizing multiple votes.

I see no way this would be for all PC games for all time. That covers too much ground.

GameInformer magazine recently did their top 200 games of all time....covering MMOs, PC and console games....Wurm sure wasnt there. Although it was heavy in FPS titles, it also payed homage to EQ/WoW, and games of the past such as Zelda/Pac-man/FF/Super Mario/Baldur's Gate 2/Diablo 2/StarCraft/Warcraft 3/ etc.

Newer entries such as Oblivion/Fallout 3/GTA were also there as well. As I indicated, too many games over the years to see this as an all time top 20, especially considering how niche it is.

Which is not to say that Wurm is not a good game....as I dont know one way or another. When you start talking top 20 all time PC game, you best be talking about 400k NA subs plus to even think about making the list. Cause IMO, even though I didnt make it past 2 weeks at launch, WoW would be the only MMO game to think about being there(perhaps my native EQ1 due to its time as "EverCrack").

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• ronssonronsson Member UncommonPosts: 20

Not sure what or who you refer to Bobbler. The GMs are very restricted and supervised and they discuss a lot internally about pretty much every sensitive situation. But yes we've had to fire GM's as well as the head GM once for various reasons.

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Originally posted by ronsson
    In any case the magazine writes quite a lot about Wurm and have a pretty active community in the game.

Which is probably the explanation. Wurm doesn't have enough active players to really influence votes. We had less than 2300 accounts in total on freedom..including inactives. So even an overly optimistic player count would be less than 10k in total, of which only a tiny fraction would even vote.

My guess is that Wurm mostly made it on that list because of PcGamerUK, since they had coverage of Wurm and while neither graphics nor polish are very impressive, it's still the only game out there to feature terrain deformation and extensive housing. In essence, it's not Wurm that made it, but the idea of Wurm.