Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures: Godslayer Beta: Early Impressions

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com's Bill Murphy got his hands on the beta for the Age of Conan expansion, Rise of the Godslayer. Today, he brings us his very early impressions with a more detailed report to come later.

Age of Conan launched with a tidal wave of hype back in May of 2008. Churning up an image of a highly action-oriented PvP dominated universe with lots of blood and breasts, it's little wonder the title shipped over a million copies to store shelves and sold over 500,000 copies to consumers in its first two weeks of existence. But the celebratory period didn't last long as glaring holes in the titles content and functionality began to show through all of the pre-launch hubbub. Age of Conan was yet another title filled with promise that simply wasn't in development long enough.

With luck for the patient gamer however, Funcom never stopped trying to make AoC a game the studio could really and truly be proud of. As they did with Anarchy Online, in the time since launch Funcom has seemingly begun to turn things around for the land of Hyboria. Winning a slew of "Most Improved" awards from the gaming press, Age of Conan has slowly been revamping the negative image that it may have portrayed to consumers early on in its life. And with the forthcoming release of their first major expansion The Rise of the Godslayer, Funcom aims to solidify AoC as one of the top MMORPGs available today... or at the very least convince its detractors that the game is worth a second look. I've recently had the chance to delve into the beta for the expansion, and the following is my overview on just what all the added content will do for Age of Conan and what it means for players new and old.

Read Godslayer Beta: Early Impressions.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• unknownunknown Member Posts: 12

I think you did your best to show what this game has for offer or how it has changed but in all honestly i am not convinced this is a good game yet. The main core problems, like PvP, Siege, Raiding etc not addressed yet even in this expansion and it has been long time since the release, Slow developing games are just not worth a 2nd look IMO.

I made Tempest of Set and Bear Shaman level cap both of them in under 10 days when game was initially lunched and every review i hear from you guys is that they added new content this or that for leveling but the thing is. leveling is easy in this game it dose not need that. what it needs is new Raids that are acctully challenging, a Seige System that works like it was promised before release. a PvP system that works or atleast gives an illusion of some sort of balance. Crafting system vs Item reward gaind from Raids needs to be adressed. I remember i made Evasion set for my ToS and no one could hit me while no gear from Raiding coul ever match that.

I dont remember which one it was but if you double tab forward or back you get added evasion and with right items you end up with like 75+% evasion. Then there is the problem of walking under the walls and floors the Siege walls are used as barrier but there is glitch that lets you walk under them; same can be used in some raids.

I mean i can go on forever but the thing is. it all comes down to this. The game has good and griping story and nice graphics but beauty is only skin deep as they say. it needs to find a soul and it lacks that for me.

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

As a recent resubber I love the direction the game has gone since launch.  It's a much more fun experience from what it was 2 years ago.  I am looking forward to the new content but I believe they should have filtered the lower level content into the game over time as people who bought the game originally and payed the subs were starved for content.  It's kind of a low blow for them to take peoples money over time on an unfinished game and then make them pay again for the content to flesh out those same levels.  It's sad I had to wait 2 years for the money I spent on the initial purchase to be worth the cost.  I have more patience with them though than the average cartoony elephant MMO based on the sheer amount of detail in everything in the game (amazing).  I hope the content in the expansion is massive and really fleshes out the game lore nicely. 

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714

Originally posted by unknown

I think you did your best to show what this game has for offer or how it has changed but in all honestly i am not convinced this is a good game yet. The main core problems, like PvP, Siege, Raiding etc not addressed yet even in this expansion and it has been long time since the release, Slow developing games are just not worth a 2nd look IMO.

I made Tempest of Set and Bear Shaman level cap both of them in under 10 days when game was initially lunched and every review i hear from you guys is that they added new content this or that for leveling but the thing is. leveling is easy in this game it dose not need that. what it needs is new Raids that are acctully challenging, a Seige System that works like it was promised before release. a PvP system that works or atleast gives an illusion of some sort of balance. Crafting system vs Item reward gaind from Raids needs to be adressed. I remember i made Evasion set for my ToS and no one could hit me while no gear from Raiding coul ever match that.

I dont remember which one it was but if you double tab forward or back you get added evasion and with right items you end up with like 75+% evasion. Then there is the problem of walking under the walls and floors the Siege walls are used as barrier but there is glitch that lets you walk under them; same can be used in some raids.

I mean i can go on forever but the thing is. it all comes down to this. The game has good and griping story and nice graphics but beauty is only skin deep as they say. it needs to find a soul and it lacks that for me.

Obviously a jaded MMO player who just wants to run through everything quickly just to toss it out, throw some insults and move on to the next thing. Seriously, who wnats to play through an MMO for the first time in 10 days? What a waste of time and money.

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

I wish they would do away with, or at least shorten the time in Tortage. Every time I try to get back into this game, I get bored of it in Tortage because it SUCKS so much there... :(

They should speed up the 1-20 game there so it's not such a pain.

• unknownunknown Member Posts: 12

Ozreth:

There was no insult in my post so dont make things up that i didnt say. Also there are different ways of playing a game. yes for me it is all up rushing to end  and doing end game content. if you think that is what makes a player "Jaded" as you say then you are wrong. one key point of any succesful design for game now days is the End-Game. i am sure MMORPG done few articles about it them self.

What i was trying to point out is that, AoC is not a grinding game. it takes very little effort to hit the level cap. so all this effort trying to improve the low level game is good but the main focuse needs to be else where. they need content where it matters the most and that is at End Game, Improving the system that dont work correctly those sort of things.

Look at it this way, how many days will you spend at low level range? And how many days will you spend at end game range? you cant stay low level for ever eventully you will move on and want more. I hate to compare it to WoW but that is one clear example of what i am talking about. they constantly add new content, new items new raids etc. that is the sort of thing AoC could use.

Otherwise the only way to enjoy AoC is to make loads of Alts and keep doing 1-30 range. which is ok fun 1st few times but then what?

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Originally posted by Gajari

I wish they would do away with, or at least shorten the time in Tortage. Every time I try to get back into this game, I get bored of it in Tortage because it SUCKS so much there... :(

I hope your kidding.  Tortage is the best part of Age of Conan.  It is the only good part of the game.  Well though out, voiced over, fun and involved quests.  Once I left Tortage is when the game started to suck.

Sooner or Later

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

It only takes a few hours as it is. If you've run Tort that many times, you should have at least one character out of it by now. Besides after your first few quests you are able to leave tort. You just talk to the Tavern owner and he gives you the option to skip ahead as long as you are lvl 13 or something like that. Which takes no time at all to reach.

I also disagree that tort sucks, that's my opinion though. Comparing it to other MMO starter areas, I'd say Tort has little competition.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Lol. People complaining there's too little grind while leveling :-)

To those, I'd recommend trying out Aion, that'll keep you busy, trying to hit L50.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Otherwise the only way to enjoy AoC is to make loads of Alts and keep doing 1-30 range. which is ok fun 1st few times but then what?

It depends on your playstyle really, keep in mind it's entirely possible AOC just isn't the game for you. I will probably never make a single alt, aside from my free 50 which I never play. I have fun doing guild related activities, running dungeons, PVPing etc.. Haven't felt the need to play another character yet.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

I agree 

I feel the game has broken mmo core features that can never be fixed. It is missing that soul feeling. it has a great story, great graphics , and great lore, but that doesnt save the game. Its to much like an online hack and slash game. I personally cant stand alts. especially when I would be doing 95% of the same content that I had already done. 

Some of you will not agree with me, and I realize that some of you like AoC, and I repsect that. I am not saying my opinion of the game should be everyones opinion. Its just one gamers opinion.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• ChudzUKChudzUK Member UncommonPosts: 38

They have made it a PvE game?

Would love to hear about the PvP :)

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member Posts: 1,880

You can skip half of tortage now.

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452

I came back a couple Months ago and started re-leveling a few of My Toons...So far so good...But I always like this Game anyway...I'm a little disappointed to hear the expansion may lack in the Mid-Game considering My Main is CL 50 right now...Oh well...Nonetheless I've already purchased and I'm looking forward to rolling a toon through the lower level part of Khitai while I get My Main to the meat of it...I know AoC has had it's share of problems, and it's never going to be for everyone no matter what Funcom does...But I do think it's rounding out to be a solid MMO...And the new approach towards PvE can only help build back the Community...We'll see I guess...

• peacekraftpeacekraft Member Posts: 189

Really excited to try this.

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

Originally posted by cyphers

Lol. People complaining there's too little grind while leveling :-)

To those, I'd recommend trying out Aion, that'll keep you busy, trying to hit L50.

Heaven forbid someone wants to actually spend some time playing the game they bought and pay monthly for. What is funny is people that beg for a game they purchase and pay monthly for to have less content and go by very quickly.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

I've just gone through a tour of five or 6 major MMOs, doing free intros and the first month's worth of content.   Age of Conan was the most enjoyable for me.   Games that came after it in the tour suffered greatly from comparison.   I know it had a terrible release, but some MMO players unwillingness to re-consider games after further development is unfortunate.  I like the way the devs have taken the game. Of course, ymmv. 

And I must say that the art department has gotten me killed gawking at the scenary more times in AoC than any other game I've played.

I am certainly going to pony up for Godslayer.  And good to see the commitment the game.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

Originally posted by Malickie

It depends on your playstyle really, keep in mind it's entirely possible AOC just isn't the game for you. I will probably never make a single alt, aside from my free 50 which I never play. I have fun doing guild related activities, running dungeons, PVPing etc.. Haven't felt the need to play another character yet.

As much as I wanted to love AoC I finally came to this conclusion. I'm one of those who also hated every minute I spent in Tortage and cursed the devs for only having one starting area. I was really hoping to see some improvements made to the midlevels, or maybe do something to encourage grouping while leveling. The addition of 9 more solo instances showed me the path FC wants us to take to the top so I won't be resubscribing. It really is a shame too because after playing around on the test server and running some of the lvl 80 dungeons I am really going to miss some aspects of the game and the expansion.

Keep fixing the core bugs and encourage grouping prior to lvl 75 and I will gladly give it another try.

Originally posted by Murashu

Originally posted by Malickie

As much as I wanted to love AoC I finally came to this conclusion. I'm one of those who also hated every minute I spent in Tortage and cursed the devs for only having one starting area. I was really hoping to see some improvements made to the midlevels, or maybe do something to encourage grouping while leveling. The addition of 9 more solo instances showed me the path FC wants us to take to the top so I won't be resubscribing. It really is a shame too because after playing around on the test server and running some of the lvl 80 dungeons I am really going to miss some aspects of the game and the expansion.

Keep fixing the core bugs and encourage grouping prior to lvl 75 and I will gladly give it another try.

Yeah grouping while unguilded is a pain in AOC at mid range levels, as most players tend to be guilded (atleast on PVP servers). Which means they're geared already (usually). I will correct you in that open grouping actually seems to start at the 50's range at least now anyway. As it's the toughest tier by far before you reach 80. Most likely due to the free lvl 50 everyone receives.

AT this level range the mini games are very active and world pvp is harsh as most want to reach pvp lvl 3-5 by 59. I've only reached 2 so far (70) as I spend a large amount of my time questing with others in my guild at this point. We PVP here and there but we also enjoy the questing in the game as a group. If you do get to do the group content (epic) it's challenging and highly rewarding I really do enjoy it, I'm stoked there's a lot more to come as of may 11th. As I've yet to finish the content present in game already, there will be tons of it by the time I reach 80, I play a lot of course so i may hit 80 a few days before may 11th.

I will say AOC is defintely a game that requires guilding. Without it, you're missing a lot of the better aspects of the game.

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

Originally posted by Ozreth

Obviously a jaded MMO player who just wants to run through everything quickly just to toss it out, throw some insults and move on to the next thing. Seriously, who wnats to play through an MMO for the first time in 10 days? What a waste of time and money.

I think you're crazy. The post you've sited as jaded had legitimate concerns and a nice overview of then with relevance to the post at hand.

Can it fanboi, trolling good posts makes you look like an idiot.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• levsixlevsix Member UncommonPosts: 363

Good little preview. I played at launch and went on for several months and had two level 80's.

It was a mess, really. Too many bugs, inconsistent performance, etc. You've all heard it before.

I'm thinking about checking it out AFTER the expansion goes live for a while.  I will wait to hear from other gamers whether it is another bug laden diaper abomination or not.

"But alas, once you finish out the Gateway, it won't be until you reach your upper 70s before you see the beauty of Khitai again, again, at least from what I can tell so far."

You should remove one "again" in the above sentence!  I thought I'd be annoying and point that out.

Thanks for the write-up.

Have a winner and don't go on a game over! Does your avatar make you powerful in real life? Check out the Mystical Enders gaming community. www.mysticalenders.com

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by eburn

Originally posted by Ozreth

I think you're crazy. The post you've sited as jaded had legitimate concerns and a nice overview of then with relevance to the post at hand.

Can it fanboi, trolling good posts makes you look like an idiot.

Ozreth makes a real good point , If people want end game in 10 days just go play an Arena game, the new direction and content  is a real step in teh right direction. A game to enjoy.

Each to their own, but people who are just out to beat the World are exactly the types that are currently ruining the MMO genre and communities, which is a real shame.

• mukinmukin Member UncommonPosts: 80

'When Age of Conan was released it look as though it was set to become a Guild PvP player's dream, but the new path of the title seems to be more along the lines of LotRO than Darkfall. It's the casual MMO with a hardcore look...'

Now that is an interesting statement!  I am a huge fan of PVP and it's the reason I tried AoC at release (beta, too), but I must admit I am thinking of coming back for entirely different reasons.  A good story is a great substitute for hardcore PVP...at least for while.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Originally posted by toddze

I agree 

I feel the game has broken mmo core features that can never be fixed. It is missing that soul feeling. it has a great story, great graphics , and great lore, but that doesnt save the game. Its to much like an online hack and slash game. I personally cant stand alts. especially when I would be doing 95% of the same content that I had already done. 

Some of you will not agree with me, and I realize that some of you like AoC, and I repsect that. I am not saying my opinion of the game should be everyones opinion. Its just one gamers opinion.

I just think Funcom should have concentrated on making one element of AoC great rather than having many elements, none of which excels. The game is very instanced, which I would have thought excellent for trying to build an immersive plot-filled game world, and after all they have the books from Robert E Howard to draw upon as inspiration. However, wahtever plot is present in the game makes less and less sense as the game goes on sadly.

Originally posted by mukin

'When Age of Conan was released it look as though it was set to become a Guild PvP player's dream, but the new path of the title seems to be more along the lines of LotRO than Darkfall. It's the casual MMO with a hardcore look...'

Now that is an interesting statement!  I am a huge fan of PVP and it's the reason I tried AoC at release (beta, too), but I must admit I am thinking of coming back for entirely different reasons.  A good story is a great substitute for hardcore PVP...at least for while.

Well if you're experience is like mine you won't be disappointed. I too only PVPed in mmo's everything else was a side track to reach it IMO. With AOC I'm enjoying the journey and I'm taking my time, even going back to help guildies on quests I didn't complete before I moved on. I get immeresed in the story and objective being presented. Espescially the voiced npcs which I still find plenty of throughout any given zone.

The main story itself isn't so original or awe inspiring, it does its job well enough IMO. The side quests on the other hand can be fun as well as interesting. With quite a few standouts, that reminded me of Biowares more interesting work ( I enjoyed them as much).

Originally posted by Illyssia

Originally posted by toddze

I agree 

I just think Funcom should have concentrated on making one element of AoC great rather than having many elements, none of which excels. The game is very instanced, which I would have thought excellent for trying to build an immersive plot-filled game world, and after all they have the books from Robert E Howard to draw upon as inspiration. However, wahtever plot is present in the game makes less and less sense as the game goes on sadly.

It actually makes perfect sense, I could tell it to you in about 5 sentences lol. It's really that simple of an overall story. At 60 it all comes together...I'd say more but I really don't want to spoil it for anyone who may be looking forward to it.

The story quest itself is rather short, the bulk of it takes part on tortage. You see a little more (one quest) at 50, one at 60 and one at 80.

That's not where Howard's work shines within the game. You'll find that more throughout your journeys leveling. Learning about Hyperboreans, Pict, Cannibals, Vanir, Atzels etc... which are all taken directly from howards work. This is the only MMO I"ve played ( didn't play much LOTRO) that I have actually been immersed within the story I'm watching (spoken dialogue) (It's a myth that it only happens on Tort) or reading (text).