Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alganon: Quest Online Announces Official Re-Launch

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Alganon 2.0 has officially launched according to an announcement released by the game's developer Quest Online.

Derek Smart's comments on Alganon's relaunch below:

"The completion and much anticipated official launch of Alganon is finally here!," said Derek Smart, President of Quest Online, LLC. "We appreciate the valuable feedback from the testers as well as those who bought and played the original December 2009 release. The continued enthusiasm and dedication of players around the world, and the help they gave us in helping to finish and fine tune the game is very much appreciated"

"Traditionally, massively multiplier online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars - combat, exploration and character progression," Derek Smart continued. "In Alganon, in addition to these we've added the fourth pillar to the equation; a story. We delivered a fun, immersive adventure that gamers expect in a top quality massively multiplayer online game. To top it all off, we're not done yet. A whole new adventure with new updates will follow soon, starting with a consignment house, new classes, PvP and much more."

Earlier this month we reported on the massive changes that would be coming to Alganon as part of the game's relaunch, you can view the full list here, or read below for a short breakdown of Alganon's features:

Game Features:

• Adventure together with thousands of other players simultaneously.

• Journey through an epic world filled with dungeons of different styles and depths.

• Explore two massive continents and their huge capital cities, which serve as major hubs for the races inhabiting them.

• Choose from two races and several classes - with more to come.

• Encounter hundreds of interactive characters and monsters.

• Learn the continuing story of Alganon by completing a wide variety of challenging quests.

• Practice various trade skills to help locate reagents, make and enhance custom items, acquire wealth through trade with other players, and more.

• A robust guild system with extensive management ability for community managers to establish rewards and ranks to suit their own tastes.

• Enjoy hundreds of hours of gameplay with new quests, items, and adventures in static and instance areas.

• Buy items, beef up your character etc using the Tribute micro-transaction system.

• All current and new Alganon players will start with 250 free tribute. This applies to purchased Alganon versions only!

Are you playing the newly re-launched Alganon? Let us know your thoughts on the game's improvements below!

Comments

• warwonwarwon Member UncommonPosts: 23

Shurgs nothing to see here

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

There is a "trial", and you can download the client, but I can't find any information on if the trial has any limitations, how long it is, or if it's even "free". If it is free, lasts a reasonable amount of time, like 10+ days and has no restrictions, I might be tempted to give Alganon another shot. I was there early in the beta for the previous version, and while it was clear right away that the game was headed towards oblivion, I would be willing to set that early experience aside and give it a fair shake after this supposedly total revamp of the game... If it is indeed a different game from the original and markedly better, I will be the first to say so. A $20 price point for the client and nosunscription fee is tempting, but it remains to be seen what the item shop will be like... 

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• BlazinglynxBlazinglynx Member Posts: 13

Your kidding me, their president can't even sell the game to consumers without using the exact same words that BW have used for The Old Republic, "Traditionally, massively multiplier online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars - combat, exploration and character progression"..."in addition to these we've added the fourth pillar to the equation; a story." That's just lazy, the game might have some kind of depth to it but the first impressions is everything, and if their using other companies advertising as their own as well as visuals that look strikingly similar to WoW then why would anyone look any further into the game?

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

Originally posted by Darkholme

There is a "trial", and you can download the client, but I can't find any information on if the trial has any limitations, how long it is, or if it's even "free". If it is free, lasts a reasonable amount of time, like 10+ days and has no restrictions, I might be tempted to give Alganon another shot. I was there early in the beta for the previous version, and while it was clear right away that the game was headed towards oblivion, I would be willing to set that early experience aside and give it a fair shake after this supposedly total revamp of the game... If it is indeed a different game from the original and markedly better, I will be the first to say so. A $20 price point for the client and nosunscription fee is tempting, but it remains to be seen what the item shop will be like... 

If I remember right, the trial is unrestricted beyond a 10 day limit.  At the very least, give the game a try.  Who knows, you might like it.

• PurpleCliffPurpleCliff Member UncommonPosts: 156

Originally posted by Blazinglynx

Your kidding me, their president can't even sell the game to consumers without using the exact same words that BW have used for The Old Republic, "Traditionally, massively multiplier online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars - combat, exploration and character progression"..."in addition to these we've added the fourth pillar to the equation; a story." That's just lazy, the game might have some kind of depth to it but the first impressions is everything, and if their using other companies advertising as their own as well as visuals that look strikingly similar to WoW then why would anyone look any further into the game?

ROFL, you're right. But somehow I don't think BioWare needs to be concerned about Alganon :P

• OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568

As my great gran' pappy used to say: "You can shellac a turd, but it's still a turd."

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

I attempted to sign up for a trial account but didn't receive an activation email. Used the designated link to request that they send it... still nothing.

If they can't even bother to make sure that a basic account registration script is working properly, I have the feeling that I'm not missing anything by passing this game by.

• motorunmotorun Member UncommonPosts: 29

Derek Smart-

"Traditionally, massively multiplier online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars - combat, exploration and character progression," Derek Smart continued. "In Alganon, in addition to these we've added the fourth pillar to the equation; a story."

Bioware- http://www.swtor.com/news/article/press-release-001

"Traditionally, massively multiplayer online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars - combat, exploration and character progression," said Dr. Ray Muzyka, Co-Founder and General Manager/CEO of BioWare and General Manager/Vice President of Electronic Arts Inc., "In Star Wars: The Old Republic, we’re fusing BioWare’s heritage of critically-acclaimed storytelling with the amazing pedigree of Lucasfilm and LucasArts, and adding a brand-new fourth pillar to the equation – story."

Remarkable.

Originally posted by motorun

Derek Smart-

"Traditionally, massively multiplier online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars - combat, exploration and character progression," Derek Smart continued. "In Alganon, in addition to these we've added the fourth pillar to the equation; a story."

Bioware- http:// http://www.swtor.com/news/article/press-release-001

"Traditionally, massively multiplayer online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars - combat, exploration and character progression," said Dr. Ray Muzyka, Co-Founder and General Manager/CEO of BioWare and General Manager/Vice President of Electronic Arts Inc., "In Star Wars: The Old Republic, we’re fusing BioWare’s heritage of critically-acclaimed storytelling with the amazing pedigree of Lucasfilm and LucasArts, and adding a brand-new fourth pillar to the equation – story."

Remarkable.

Shhh, he'll show up up and start screaming libel and calling you out for comments like this.

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977

Derek Smart-

Remarkable.

lol, thanks for that. Really. 

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Originally posted by Blazinglynx

ROFL!

I wonder if he gave himself a pat on the back for being so creative and original for coming up with that line....

/facepalm

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• ElmarollyElmarolly Member Posts: 60

"The completion and much anticipated official launch of Alganon is finally here!," said Derek Smart, President of Quest Online, LLC. "We appreciate the valuable feedback from the testers as well as those who bought and played the original December 2009 release. The continued enthusiasm and dedication of players around the world, and the help they gave us in helping to finish and fine tune the game is very much appreciated"

Really?...... Go take a peek at the forums. Smrt will delete your post if it has anything in it that points out bugs in the game or if he feels it might be flamebait. And he used to or still does log onto forums just to piss people off. Really, he even said he did that <-- Wow talk about calling the kettle black.

I do play the game and still have hopes that Smrt will be booted by the Investors and that most of the amazing community returns but I am afraid it is too late for that.

Try the game it is worth $20.00 bucks, but if you have any morals about how people should be treated as customers. You would not drop a red cent into the game. Try the trial if it floats your boat. then drop the cash. You can spend $20.00 dollars on a few worse things..... not many but a few.

Yeah it is 6:40 MST and there is 61 players in total playing from all the servers. So not a lot of people to play with or talk to.  But then Smrt said he is happy with  no more then 100 players because of the network code. Funny way he deleted that in his post on the forums.

Oh well I have posted in the forums here about the game play. So I will not double post about the gameplay. Try it you might like it......

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

Derek Smart-

Remarkable.

Remarkable... maybe, I'd choose another word to describe it.  Pathetic.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• BetabooBetaboo Member Posts: 384

Think i will pass on this one Mike i was a paid customer at the First soft launch a few months ago and i was less then impressed and i really dont see what a few months of coding could do. it also went F2p so that was the final nail in the coffin for me.

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Derek Smart-

Remarkable.

Plagarism at it's finest.

Maybe not.  Could be Derek's talking math here.  Multiplier online games, so like sudoku with lobbies?

• VotanVotan Member UncommonPosts: 291

LOL, This is  taken from his blog:

"WARNING: This blog and all posts within are my property and are thus protected by copyright. It is also subject to revisions as things progress. Unless you really – truly – want to hear from my attorneys – DO NOT reprint it. If you must, just link to the URL."

Least he could have done is include the link to the Bioware site :)

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Originally posted by Votan

"WARNING: This blog and all posts within are my property and are thus protected by copyright. It is also subject to revisions as things progress. Unless you really – truly – want to hear from my attorneys – DO NOT reprint it. If you must, just link to the URL."

Oh no!

I hope you got his permission to copy/paste that....

And yeah, even a shout out or citation giving credit to Bioware for using pieces of their press release (specially using a whole line word for word...) would be nice.

Hell, if I did that when I was in college without citing the original author I would have been accused of plagarism and possibly booted from the school...

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by Votan

Maybe he ought to get better attorneys. Because if the one he has isn't laughing his ass off right now, he's worthless.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• MMOrUSMMOrUS Member Posts: 414

I managed to give the trial a go, ugh it was bloody horrible, it will no doubt appeal to some ppl but it certainly did not float my boat at all.

I can see they have tried to emulate WoW but have just not managed it.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Derek Smart-

Remarkable.

I suspect Smart did not even write it. Why? Two paragraphs without mentioning himself. 

• cjy420cjy420 Member Posts: 27

An MMORPG has to state the obvious as one of its features?  Filler i guess:

Adventure together with thousands of other players simultaneously

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039

Derek Smart-

Bioware- http://www.swtor.com/news/article/press-release-001

Remarkable.

Ridiculous. What is the story in Alganon anyway?

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

"Anticipated" by whom? You can take that feature list, add some more features to it, dress up the existing features on that list and you'll have WoW, LoTRO, EQ2, and many other fantasy quest based games already on the market. There's absolutely no reason to buy Alganon. Nothing to really set it apart from its competition.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

I actually downloaded it last night. My first quest was to get wolf pelts. Unoriginal quest, unoriginal combat. Just a very boring game.

• jotulljotull Member Posts: 256

Wow ...what a horrible game...there is simply no reason to play this over  WoW unless of course you like playing really poorly done rip offs. A good friend of mine remarked after playing a few quest that every devloper that touched this game should be put on a list and never hired again in the industry anywhere.