Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Exclusive Interview

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

MMORPG.com's Garrett Fuller gets the ArenaNet team to spill the beans on Guild Wars 2's combat system, technology, social activities, and more in this exclusive interview.

MMORPG.com:

You have a large number of races in the game, how will they work together?

Eric Flannum - Lead Designer:

In our lore none of the five races are at open war with each other but none of them are close allies either. The exception to this is the City of Lion’s Arch which is an independent city state that welcomes all races equally. In Lion’s Arch you can see charr technology working hand in hand with asura magic and the resulting teamwork has turned Lion’s Arch into the preeminent mercantile power in the world.

When it comes to gameplay all of the races bring something unique to the table. We use racial skills to give each race its own flavor and also to bring players a wider breadth of options to consider when building their character. An asura player will always have a way to blast enemies with magic while a Sylvari player can always choose to heal their allies.

Read the full interview here.

Comments

• XKhallusXXKhallusX Member Posts: 31

the game SOUNDS amazing, however i have been burnt way too many times by game developers telling me what i want to hear.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Sounds good!

Though I'd like to see some more ingame footage on GW2 soon.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Are five new videos enough new footage for you? ;)

• jzuskajzuska Member Posts: 418

"We do have instancing of course which we use both for dungeons and in helping to tell a character’s personal story."

Is it a seamless world? Can I run from one side of the map to the other without hitting a portal? Do they have "copies" of the world? ie: You are and your friend are in Zone A, bit he is in copy 1 and you are in copy 15,345.

• XKhallusXXKhallusX Member Posts: 31

Originally posted by MikeB

holy crap thats very impressive.

the more i read about GW2 the more i like, wtb info on their archer class!

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Those were certainly very cool, though I'd like some footage that shows a couple of situations where they're busy playing the game like they normally would as well.

It can wait though.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• NudlesNudles Member UncommonPosts: 54

It's easy to be deceived nowdays with developer promises of features in their games, but i don't think that's the case with Anet judging by the GW releases.

Like Mike O'Brien said :

"...We’re a company of passionate gamers with one mission: to make Guild Wars 2 the best MMORPG ever created. We are a 150+ person development team and we’re betting our company on Guild Wars 2."

If you played the previous GW games you'd know they are really passionate about what they do and know what make players tick ;)

The videos look great, very smooth animations, good skill mechanics and nice eye candy - keep them coming :D

• VaultFairyVaultFairy Member UncommonPosts: 566

OMG!

I'm glad i have finally got to see some video clips although the Water Trident video goes back to Phoenix though. Either way, i'm impressed can't wait for Guild Wars 2.

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

Those were certainly very cool, though I'd like some footage that shows a couple of situations where they're busy playing the game like they normally would as well.

It can wait though.

You may be able to wait, but I don't want to have to wait.  I have been waiting for years already.  I guess this beggs the question "How does it feel to want?" to be asked.

• jmh1981jmh1981 Member Posts: 16

Originally posted by VaultFairy

OMG!

I'm glad i have finally got to see some video clips although the Water Trident video goes back to Phoenix though. Either way, i'm impressed can't wait for Guild Wars 2.

Here is the link to the Water Trident video: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/videos/play/1698/Elementalist-Water-Trident-Spell.html
  • neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

Both Guildwars 2 and Heroes of Telara have me rather excited. Its really great to finally see mmos moving forward with dynamic content as mmos have remained stagnant for far too long. Finally I might find myself liking and playing mmos again. I just hope they live up to their promises.

Oh and those Guildwars video clips are very impressive indeed.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by VaultFairy

OMG!

Fixed the Water Trident link, thanks!

• lethyslethys Member UncommonPosts: 585

Guild Wars was my first true love in the MMORPG world and I will highly consider preordering this game.  Haven't found a decent MMO since this and since I quit WoW nearly two years ago.  WAR and Aion just didn't do it for me.

• baal80baal80 Member Posts: 18

Please ANet - DON'T release GW2 before it's ready...

• LeechxLeechx Member Posts: 44

Don't worry.. they definitely will NOT release it before it is ready.  Look forward to more changes as the months come.  Tomorrow: Weapons, Professions and Races **In the combat tab for "The Game"**

=] =] =]

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Very nice! Guild Wars 2 is one of the games I'm really looking forward too. Even more so now, after reading the interview and watching those videos. Pretty cool looking stuff.

• theMuseztheMusez Member UncommonPosts: 4

Man, I totally can't wait for this game :D

• dwarflordkingdwarflordking Member Posts: 265

so... its still auto aim... no missed fireballs or arrows flying everywhere... fuckin  gay

• KirinShadowKirinShadow Member Posts: 50

GW's always been auto aim, but anything classified as a projectile would fly in a more or less physically-based arc. You already could move to dodge arrows and fireballs unless they were fired at very close range, so I don't understand the complaint.

OT: I like the new way they're doing skillbars. As much fun as it was to make screwy builds with no main-class skills, giving characters at least some definition of a role based on their class and weapon choice seems like a good direction to take things.

--------------------------
    Society: Reaching new lows every day.

• TektonTekton Member UncommonPosts: 86

Originally posted by ricefarmer

so... its still auto aim... no missed fireballs or arrows flying everywhere... fuckin  gay

Go play Counter-Strike, shoo.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Originally posted by ricefarmer

You couldn't aim in GW bot you could dodge arrows and fireballs..

Troll.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Im interested to know, and please point me in the right direction if its been talked about, if Guild Wars 2 will be incredibley empty as far as other players go.  In other words... am I only going to see other players at towns and never in the field of battle unless I add them to my party?  Or will I see others running about, doing their quests and killing mobs as I run past?

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Instanced will be dungeons and story missions the rest is open world.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

They went a different course for GW2 than they did for GW: GW2 will not be heavily instanced anymore but an open world MMO.

This means you see others running around and questing, even more, there are public quests or 'world quests' where together with other players that don't have to be in a group with you, you can do those quests together and still share the loot, like for example defending a village from it being overrun or winning the village back again.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Originally posted by TwilightEdge

Instanced will be dungeons and story missions the rest is open world.

I see.  Im not a huge fan of instancing, but if its not overused then I guess I dont mind.  Thanks for the reply.