Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play (again) with more population?

Well, I read many threads where Vanguard was praised as a really good game. I did try it myself a few weeks ago and have to say that it has some interesting concepts. A huge array of interesting classes and races to choose from, a beautiful world and a diplomacy system that I have yet to completely get the hang of. It does have some weaknesses (I didn't like the User Interface and the character models seem kind of "dead" to me), but I think it deserves a lot more attention that it currently has, both from players and the developers.

It's really a shame. With some adjustments, this could be a very good MMO. Now, my question. Would you play it if

a) population became healthy again

b) it would be given to some company who would continue to develop it?

Comments

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519

Originally posted by reijan

Ok which question are you asking? because if population did somehow become healthy again why would it have to be given to another company to continue to develop? and if it was given to another company that would develop it doesnt mean that the population will become healthy either. So what are you really asking? and Why?

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

and if they fix the animation + toon models.

It is really the only thing i don't like about Vanguard.

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• skvaderskvader Member UncommonPosts: 16

I last logged on a few weeks ago and the pop on Seradon was the lowest I've ever seen it. But the main reason I quit was not wanting to put more time in - knowing the game is basically on life support at this time. So I guess I an actual dev team and a better population is needed for me to come back.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

If it was sold on to a developer who would show it some love. yeah I would give it another spin.

• Originally posted by Goldknyght

Originally posted by reijan

Ok which question are you asking? because if population did somehow become healthy again why would it have to be given to another company to continue to develop? and if it was given to another company that would develop it doesnt mean that the population will become healthy either. So what are you really asking? and Why?

At the moment, from what I saw, Vanguard has pretty much stopped developing. Thus, for the population to increase, possibly another company would have to work on it to make it more attractive again. The population would never increase if all people know that this game will pretty much stay like it is.

Of course, you can also leave out option b if it bothers you, I just included that because many say that even if the population were to increase, nothing new would be added to the game.

And I'm asking the question so that Vanguard possibly gains a bit more attention and because it interests me.

• japojapo Member Posts: 306

Yeh...the only thing that is keeping me from going back is the lack of support from SOE.

MMORPGs require a rather large commitment from from players....both in paying for it and taking the time to play it.  I'd like to see the same level of commitment from SOE that I would give to them....again.,

Either that or drop the monthly sub to about $7.99.  This game gets less then half the support of EQ and EQ2....how they get away with charging the same for a monthly sub I'll never figure out.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Well, I play now and I have to say that I have the closest experience to what I thought mmo's would be in Vanguard.

It's the closest to my morrowind experience which is really what I was looking for to start with.

Now, before someone says "what  are you talking about man, Vanguard is nothing like Morrowind, I played morriwind for years and made mods and insert berating (#356 (B)" I would say that Vanguard offers the sense of discovery.

I realize that some players would offer the idea that Vanguard is just another quest grinder but I think that is them being their own worst enemy.

You don't have to play these games like that if you don't want to. I know I certainly don't.

Vanguard offers me a sense of actual exploration which sometimes just yields a cool new place to see and sometimes can yield quests.

I had to laugh last night as I had a rather unique experience and a confirmation of my idea of grind without being asked to grind. I recently rerolled my namesake character and was in the Elf City of Leth Nurae.

I had every intention of taking my horse around the city when I ran into two characters who claimed that sometning was going on in the library of the Arcanium. Well, first I fing the arcanium entrance where there is this cave-in so to speak, giant (and very cool looking) spiders and make my way into it. After fighting my way thrrough spiders I'm inside, collect what I need but die as I go deeper in.

I then realize that there must be an entrance (and if I paid more attention to the bottom of the quest text I might have seen this - oops) closer to the quest givers and after entering this stout tower notice a part of the wall that has a crease in it. At first I just thought that this was Vanguard sloppiness but I click on the wall and to my delight it opens to a stairwell.

And I proceeded to kill many things (and die a few times in the process) to get to my objective.

No one asked me to kill x amount of y (though that would come later) but I did kill a lot of mobs all the while being very intent on my objective. And all the while I wasn't counting mobs I was trying to figure out the best way to get to where I needed to be.

Vanguard is the only game that has offered me a sense of delight at actually discovering something. And something surprising. Say what you want of the devs, they might not have had the ability to get the game right but they got the concept right.

So I could sit in the stands and say "well, I'm not going to play until x, y and z" or I could just accept that its issues are its issues and enjoy it for what it is.

And it is enjoyable and the classes are very interesting.

But it's not for players who expect wow's level of polish nor is it for players who expect to grab 5 quests, do them and run back for more.

As far as population, Seth and Xeradon (is that the second name?) were medium late last night eastern standard time. On Saturday there were plenty of people talking in global chat (or whatever the chat was called) so there are people playing and enjoying themselves.

But it is a catch 22. IF players don't make a concerted effort to just throw themselves into the game then the population wont' raise. Pop doesnt' raise more money won't be put toward the game.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

No, even if they cleaned up the game, I've moved on from traditional class/level based games that utilize quests and dungeon grinding as a form of progression. 

Couple that with poor support for PVP and VG just isn't a game I'd return to.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

If I had the money, SOE would actually sell the game, and I could get a decent development team together, sure I would buy the game myself and develop it into my personal idea of a "perfect" MMO.

- Reduce all stupid grinds, add more interesting quests to them

- Make leveling much slower so people actually can see all the content of the game

- Add more boss monsters

- Reduce all "class" equipment, instead give people options such that not everybody wears exactly the same stuff.

- Change PvP. Give Players PvP hitpoints (much more than PvE HP), balance the classes for PvP, add meaningful PvP to the gameworld, add town castles and castle sieges to the game.

- Make Diplomacy more interesting, make diplomacy a requirement for every character to enter "opposed" cities. You can do without, but it will be much harder.

- Add more raid dungeons.

- Remove a lot of stupid details, such as the racial mount silliness.

• Edge78Edge78 Member Posts: 6

i would love LOVE to get back into this game, but the feeling like they might pull the plug any minute keeps me hesitant about reinstalling it.  Just all around a great enjoyable underrated game.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

In a second.

But I would eventually unsubscribe again, because the end game content is lack luster. I don't want ANOTHER raid happy game. If they added some overworld guild vs guild PvP, or naval combat/territorial control like they said they would 3 years ago, I'd be there to stay, but that won't happen until theres more population. Not to mention the current devs seem to be wanting to make it all a carebear WoW clone. 

The quests and world content is amazing enough to get me back though. 

• GaxusnGaxusn Member UncommonPosts: 77

I personally loved the game.

What made it that bit extra special was how alike it was to EQ1. 

Having played it again only a few months ago, I have decided to move on and forget about it. Its clear to anyone that the game is only going in one direction, rapidly. 

How I miss "raiding" RI (sp?) with my Necromancer before there was any real end game content. 

Playing: Nothing
    Played: EQ1, EQ2, VG:SoH, WoW, AoC, LoTRO, Aion, L2, DF, WAR.
    Favourites: EQ1, VG:SoH, Original WoW.
    Waiting: Pantheon: ROTF

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

Aside from things that some money and skill would solve, such as bugs, I had no complaints about Vanguard.

With that said, the ship has sailed on this game. Even if the population was at its max limits, I wouldn't return due to many newer games being out and coming out.

• cujo603cujo603 Member UncommonPosts: 103

Vanguard is a decent enough game and the world was fun to explore, but i only play mmo's to play with other people.  Vanguard will never have enough players to offer enough teaming to keep my interest.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

No. I beta tested this game and I hated it. And after the way Brad behaved, I would never shell out a penny towards this title, even now that he is gone.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

I think Vanguard could easily be one of if not the top MMO on the market today. It is a shame that SOE doesn't share this belief. I don't know what else to say . I have turned a lot of my real life and virtual friends on to this game (many have never even heard of it) and every single one of them couldn't believe how good a game it was. And many still play but the lack of updates and the apparent "unknown" future def does not inspire folks to continue... It really makes me sad .

Originally posted by Amathe

No. I beta tested this game and I hated it. And after the way Brad behaved, I would never shell out a penny towards this title, even now that he is gone.

Mind elaborating? The game is quite different from how it was in beta, and I don't think Brad did anything wrong, from what I can recall.

Vanguard is the ONLY game in recent memory that people grouped just for the sake of grouping, hunted some overland mobs and talked and socialized while having a blast. 

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

Originally posted by Garvon3

Mind elaborating? The game is quite different from how it was in beta, and I don't think Brad did anything wrong, from what I can recall.

Vanguard is the ONLY game in recent memory that people grouped just for the sake of grouping, hunted some overland mobs and talked and socialized while having a blast. 

Brad was a druggy for one, and he was guilty for mismanaging the companyd during development, which is why Vanguard had such a sorry release. All the reasons to dislike Brad was common knowledge back during release. I don't remember all of it, since it was so long ago.

Originally posted by nate1980

Originally posted by Garvon3

Brad was a druggy for one, and he was guilty for mismanaging the companyd during development, which is why Vanguard had such a sorry release. All the reasons to dislike Brad was common knowledge back during release. I don't remember all of it, since it was so long ago.

Yes yes, we all remember the drug allegations which were never actually proved, but angry rage at the releases turned it into truth, much the same with other celebrity rumors. 

And mismanaging a project is hardly a reason to hate someone, the man very obviously loved the game. There are lots of detailed accounts as to WHY he was out of office so often, trying to curry favor with investors and the like. 

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486

I think Vanguard is one of the best designed MMORPGs I can actually recall playing.  They may want to consider giving the game the "DDO" treatment.   Grouping strongly encouraged MMORPGs are hard to come by.

• shmashedshmashed Member UncommonPosts: 18

Yeah, this game was pretty solid I thought.  I played the beta and thought it might end up being one of the best games around.  Then they announced that they were rushing a release due to funding issues and I realized the game was toast.  I didn't buy it because I knew, like all the beta testers knew....the game wasn't going to make it without another half a year of work.

Later on when the game was dirt cheap, I picked it up just for laughs.  I almost regret I didnt play sooner.  The graphics were fantastic with the new video card I had gotten.  The combat system was ahead of its time.  However, the population of the game....was....just abysmal.  A world that sizeneeds fewer servers and more people per server in order to feel right.

• wazaapwazaap Member UncommonPosts: 19

Well, i just got back a few weeks ago and im loving it. I guess ive gone from the typical "hurry up and get to max lvl and gear" to "hey, this is actually an exciting world with lots of quests, stories and exploring to do" 

Yeah the population is kinda thin, but wouldent it be even thinner if i quit too? everybody makes a difference.

You might say that im wasting my time because the game is dead and they wont develope more on it. If my goal was to max lvl and have the best gear, sure i would. But i doubt i will find a game i will play forever and as long as i enjoy the journy of my deathknight through the Vanguard world, it wont be a waste of time. Your life will end too, but will it be a waste of time?? 

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

My friends and I recently resubbed and we are enjoying it so far. I've seen people saying that the population is dead and that the game is slowly dying off yet every time I play I run into others and have always found others wanting to group. If you want to try the game out, there is a free 14 day trial that takes less than an hour to download and install. If you enjoy it, play it and actually help the population instead of worrying about what others think.

• oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863

I played Vanguard from beta 2 up until 3 months after release.. I have a level 41 Phoenix Shaman and a 25 rogue.. I quit the game due to SOE taking over and ruining the awesome item equipment system, screwing up the loot system, and basically changing the game similar to how the SWG vets fliped out when the NGE was implemented.. Then a bunch of people started to quit because of the restructuring of the game being done right under our noses, among other issues such as broken and lack of content past level 40. I was forced to quit as well...

Now, If SOE sold the rights to a company who understood what Vanguard was supposed to be to mainly the vets of EQ, then went about making changes to how the game was "feature" wise at release, and worked on an expansion which would be similar to a re release of the game with a bunch of new implemented features that would draw thousands more into the world, I'd definitely play again..

But the way the game is going now, it's just going to be left on life support and no real significant changes and newly implemented features will ever be added in Vanguard...

I don't understand why SOE wont show this game any love and put a dev team together to help make VG successful.. It's been out since january of 2007 and the only things the dev team has done was just fix some software performance issues and add in one =end game raid dungeon "APW" that was just thrown together overnight, lol..

If there was a Dev team committed to making VG successful again, there would have already been an expansion released.. But 3 and a half years later, I doubt any real significant progress will ever be made with Vanguard.. It's like SOE has chained and locked the game down in the deepest dungeon while watching it slowly drown and fade away into nothingness.. 

Such a shame too..

Rallithon Oakthornn
    (Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)

• wazaapwazaap Member UncommonPosts: 19

Originally posted by Murashu

My friends and I recently resubbed and we are enjoying it so far. I've seen people saying that the population is dead and that the game is slowly dying off yet every time I play I run into others and have always found others wanting to group. If you want to try the game out, there is a free 14 day trial that takes less than an hour to download and install. If you enjoy it, play it and actually help the population instead of worrying about what others think.

I couldent agree more!