Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

you guys still stuck in mmorpgs?

man ive been out of mmo world for so long. been playing ps3.. tekken 6 online and demon souls. getting super sf4. look back at my mmos days.... why the heck i wasted so much time on it? on something so boring. i dont know. just reality check. see if someone is out of mmo world like me.

Comments

• ScalperOneScalperOne Member Posts: 281

I am an on and off MMO player. sometimes I try a new MMO for a few months. I still have hope for that one ultimate MMO.

Besides that I play all sorts of games, but these days the gems that can become classics are few.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

You still stuck on your ps3?

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Originally posted by brostyn

uh...yeah, this.

I did the console thing when I was a kid, man.....kinda grew out of that.

• dirtyjoe78dirtyjoe78 Member Posts: 400

Originally posted by Pinkerl

man ive been out of mmo world for so long. been playing ps3.. tekken 6 online and demon souls. getting super sf4. look back at my mmos days.... why the heck i wasted so much time on it? on something so boring. i dont know. just reality check. see if someone is out of mmo world like me.

If you are so out of the MMO world why are you here posting

• viddsterviddster Member UncommonPosts: 220

Nah I doubt anybody reading these forums plays MMORPG's. I think most people browse round these forums for Wii sports information.

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

I play MMOs for the social element.

Yes, stand alone, solo games are better in nearly every single way except for the social element.

Nothing like hanging out with gildies talking about stuff and most of it not game related.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

I was stuck on consoles for too long so i upgraded to MMO's. To me it seems that you have gone few steps backwards.

• HarabeckHarabeck Member Posts: 616

Originally posted by Shastra

I was stuck on consoles for too long so i upgraded to MMO's. To me it seems that you have gone few steps backwards.

Originally posted by dirtyjoe78

These.

• Kaelano1Kaelano1 Member Posts: 375

Originally posted by Harabeck

Originally posted by Shastra

Originally posted by dirtyjoe78

These.

Agreed. 

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Show me a 360 or ps3 game thats like Eve and ill totally leave mmorpgs forever.

Until then ill play Eve and enjoy my consoles.

OH and SSF4 is going to be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

I'm interested in the idea of mmos but unfortunately I dont see any that are currently worth playing, so I either stick to single player games on the pc or play other forms of online games. There are a few mmos on the horizon that give me hope for this genre though.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

I hope you're enjoying your console time.  Most people grow out of those at puberty though.

• dax01dax01 Member Posts: 5

Lol funny how the OP wrote on " mmorpg.com " about " why we are still playing mmos.

I would like to play MMOs but none fit my taste as of yet. And none seems to release soon either. So, Im playing console game while I wait for a mmo that I like.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

uh...yeah, this.

This!  I'm too old to appreciate console games, they're something my children play. 

Never saw a single game that held a torch to games designed for the PC.

And since finding MMORPG's, I haven't really played a single player game since around 2001 for any length of time.

Can't understand why anyone would want to. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PinkerlPinkerl Member Posts: 123

uh...yeah, this.

well i grew up with video games. back in late 80s my family bought the original nintendo. own super nintendo. own genesis but sold it. own ps1. own ps2. own ps3.

when i was a kid i always play video games then i saw many adults play games on pc so i thought it was cool and then i got into it. from fps to rts to mmo. yes mmo i spin on it the most. lineage 2 2.5 years. silkroad 1.5 years. guild wars 9 months. wow trial. eq2 trial. aoc trial. try all mmo floating around both free and subscription.

now grow older realize mmo is so boring no depth... run around retirve this retrieve that kill this kill that. pvp in mmo is not skill base so no fun on pvp either. i grow out of mmo...

its like i think whatever adults do is automatically cool.... cause a kid like myself dont know how to think intelligently yet. mmo was never my type grow up and notice.

comparring mmo to console games.... mmo is so boring. if i want online play... todays gen console has kick ass online. u can even kick someone ass online on tekken 6, sc4, super sf4. i can play modern fps on console without breaking my wallet due to hardware. mmo is so classic. mmo is out of style. unless new breed of mmo is born.... maybe blade and soul.

i am not going backward... im evolving. experience and learn.

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589

uh...yeah, this.

well i grew up with video games. back in late 80s my family bought the original nintendo. own super nintendo. own genesis but sold it. own ps1. own ps2. own ps3.

when i was a kid i always play video games then i saw many adults play games on pc so i thought it was cool and then i got into it. from fps to rts to mmo. yes mmo i spin on it the most. lineage 2 2.5 years. silkroad 1.5 years. guild wars 9 months. wow trial. eq2 trial. aoc trial. try all mmo floating around both free and subscription.

now grow older realize mmo is so boring no depth... run around retirve this retrieve that kill this kill that. pvp in mmo is not skill base so no fun on pvp either. i grow out of mmo...

its like i think whatever adults do is automatically cool.... cause a kid like myself dont know how to think intelligently yet. mmo was never my type grow up and notice.

comparring mmo to console games.... mmo is so boring. if i want online play... todays gen console has kick ass online. u can even kick someone ass online on tekken 6, sc4, super sf4. i can play modern fps on console without breaking my wallet due to hardware. mmo is so classic. mmo is out of style. unless new breed of mmo is born.... maybe blade and soul.

i am not going backward... im evolving. experience and learn.

You lost me after you used the words depth and console.

,Everyone have their different tastes and needs out of their entertainment,   I like Eve for its depth and find other MMORPG,s and Pc games to be shallow, and find consoles to well crap, I got a free PS3, used it for blu ray, then gave it away, thought it was junk, slow clunky terrible interfaces in everything it did.

As for evolving, hardly, its just another avenue into gaming, but has well drawn over limitations, its an offshoot, not progression.

True evolution will come very soon in the form of PC like games you connect through to, without the need of any PC hardware your end, just a foxtel looking type set top box, tech was demo a few years back, bandwidth is limiting factor at present .

Consoles are cut down pc,s , the gap is narrowing but still a large gap, just look at all the load times on a bloody PS3 to realise that.

• PinkerlPinkerl Member Posts: 123

and if i miss roaming around with massive amount of players in mmos..... i got resistance 2 60players and MAG 256players. massive! yes i know some of you pplay mmo mainly for the community and massive amount of players but the gameplay is jus no depth and feel like working no fun plain... resistance 2 and mag is fun with huge amount of players!

these days consoles is all about networking, community and online multiplayer. its 10 folds better than typical boring mmo on pc.

but yeah i think each of its own. just felt like reality checking thats all. didnt mean to offend still-mmo-players.

• darkeviadarkevia Member Posts: 43

Yes.

• Toquio3Toquio3 Member Posts: 1,074

and if i miss roaming around with massive amount of players in mmos..... i got resistance 2 60players and MAG 256players. massive! yes i know some of you pplay mmo mainly for the community and massive amount of players but the gameplay is jus no depth and feel like working no fun plain... resistance 2 and mag is fun with huge amount of players!

these days consoles is all about networking, community and online multiplayer. its 10 folds better than typical boring mmo on pc.

First of all, there are way to many numbers in that post. Second of all, all that "whatever" you're into is the best for you, not for everyone else.

What was the point of this again?

If you stand VERY still, and close your eyes, after a minute you can actually FEEL the universe revolving around PvP.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Originally posted by Dibdabs

I hope you're enjoying your console time.  Most people grow out of those at puberty though.

Actually, Surveys show that is far from the truth,PC elitists often have this misconception about console gaming.

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319

My best friend got back from traveling the world for years, seeing the wonders of the world, having sex with countless exotic and willing women, and helping to support and teach the citizens of a few third world counties. He asked me if I was still playing MMOG's. It made me feel small. Small enough that I took a couple years off to do the same.

Someone that has been playing a PS3 asking if I am still stuck playing MMOG's doesn't seem to have the same effect. If anything I feel sorry for him.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

At the end of the day, PC gamers and PS3 gamers are all doing the same thing.  They're sitting in a chair moving polygons around a computer screen.  The only difference is PC gamers have the delusion that what they're doing makes them in some way intelectually superior to the console crowd. 

• greymanngreymann Member Posts: 757

Originally posted by SuperXero89

At the end of the day, PC gamers and PS3 gamers are all doing the same thing.  They're sitting in a chair moving polygons around a computer screen.  The only difference is PC gamers have the delusion that what they're doing makes them in some way intelectually superior to the console crowd. 

Oh I don't know... the ability to play non-arcade-ish games that never reach console, being able to create hacks and other enhancements for your games and the realization that a keyboard is a much better controller than what you use (what else am I forgetting?) might have something to do with your suspicion that we are a tad more intellectual than your typical GTA hoodrat.  There's alway the exception but obviously the average pc crowd is going to be a step up from the average console gamer because of more than one factor.

And to the OP, nice troll thread... seriously.  I think you'd find though that a lot of people are like yourself: kind of hanging around here but not subscribed to any game atm.  Thing is if there was no such thing as a fun mmo you wouldn't have played it for so long.  You were under its spell because it was FUN.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Originally posted by greymann

Originally posted by SuperXero89

Oh I don't know... the ability to play non-arcade-ish games that never reach console, being able to create hacks and other enhancements for your games and the realization that a keyboard is a much better controller than what you use (what else am I forgetting?) might have something to do with your suspicion that we are a tad more intellectual than your typical GTA hoodrat.  There's alway the exception but obviously the average pc crowd is going to be a step up from the average console gamer because of more than one factor.

And to the OP, nice troll thread... seriously.  I think you'd find though that a lot of people are like yourself: kind of hanging around here but not subscribed to any game atm.  Thing is if there was no such thing as a fun mmo you wouldn't have played it for so long.  You were under its spell because it was FUN.

The mention of exclusives is rather silly when there are also many consoles games that are not available on the PC.

The keyboard is a much better controller than a console controller? Not at all.A keyboard is designed for production, not for gaming and it shows. A mouse and keyboard only work well with a few genres, while a console controller works well with pretty much every genre.

I also don't see how the average PC gamer is more intelligent than the average console gamer.

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

Originally posted by Kyleran

uh...yeah, this.

This!  I'm too old to appreciate console games, they're something my children play. 

Never saw a single game that held a torch to games designed for the PC.

And since finding MMORPG's, I haven't really played a single player game since around 2001 for any length of time.

Can't understand why anyone would want to. image

You cant understand why anyone would want to play a single player game? How about the higher level of immersion, the higher quality graphics, the more involving and fluid gameplay and the "quality over quantity" approach which I prefer a hell of a lot more. Sure not all single player games have this (some of them are dreadful!) but it seems to me that I have a much better range of quality products to chhose from in the single player department than I have in mmos. Besides a lot of mmos these days play like really bad single player games anyway.

Yesterday I completed the more recent Stalker game, Call of Pripyat. Its an fps roleplaying game. Very immersive indeed. Skulking through the very realistic looking wilderness with an assault rifle and a flashlight in the dead of night can be quite a buzz. I hear a horrid gurgling sound somewhere nearby and decide to take cover beside a crumbling wreck of an old jeep. I wait and see a group of mutated beasts crawl across the road and disappear from view into the bushes. Its tense. Its atmospheric. I've never experienced anything like that from an mmo.

In Dawn of War 2 the single player campaign is fantastic. There is so much detail in the battles that take place. The characters voice overs are also spot on. Everything from the great visuals, the interface design, the way that units take cover and fire on enemies, the entire warhammer 40k feel that the game evokes is awesome. The focus on quality that has gone into this game is top notch.

All of the Halflife games. A great story that unfolds that I can actually participate in without a single shitty text file to read that takes me out of the action. Totally voice acted and animated and it looks great. Every one of those games made me feel totally immersed in the action. There were problems to solve that involved interacting with the scenery.

Machinarium. A charming little side-scrolling puzzle solving game where you control a cute little robot. The game is seriously a work of art and there is always something new and amusing to see.

Risen. A 3rd person roleplaying game. A story that unfolds through great visuals, decent sound effects and interesting dialogue & characters. I can make decisions in that game which change the course of the adventure. Npcs move around and the game world changes depending on what I choose to do. I can also control how my character reacts to monsters. I can leap to the side, block attacks and time different attack moves to defeat my opponents.

All of the Baldurs Gate roleplaying games. Those were great single player rpgs. They were much more interesting to play than any of the simplified modern mmos.

All the Resident Evil games. The 4th game in the series had me glued to the screen for ages. Horrifyingly gorgeous and well thought out game.

All of these games have given me exciting, interesting or immersive experiences that I have never found in any of the recent mmos. In the current crop of mmos the only one I see that seems to be a high quality product is EvE. Despite the fact that its not quite my cup of tea, I have a lot of respect for that game. The rest of them seem to be low quality games that are more focused on quantity rather than quality. They also seem to be leaning too much towards single player game design rather than focusing on player interaction as a means of progressing and achieving things. Thats why I have a preference for single player games and other multiplayer games thats arent mmos at the moment. Oh I get the mmo itch every now and again and try and get into one of them but I find myself absolutely bored to death and appalled by the terrible production values of these games usually within a week. I used to be totally hooked on EQ1 and DAoC many years back but since then it seems to me that mmos are getting worse and worse. They have been becoming far too simplified and dull to hold any interest for me. I still frequent these forums though as I have hope that some day a decent mmo will get made by someone that will pull me back in. Perhaps Heroes of Telara or Guildwars 2 will be one of those games. Who knows.