Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: EVE Survivor Guy, Part Three

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com's Adam Tingle sets out on his second week of exploration in EVE Online as he writes about this adventures, good and bad, coming into the game for the first time.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy- My time in Eve Online had become and endless pursuit of wealth and musings of my own explosive death; I had become dull and over-dramatic, greedy and reserved. My first handful of weeks in Eve Online had focused solely on foundation building, but the next step in my survival required something else. There was only so much can mining and conservative thinking I could muster without finding myself at weary odds with the game, the time is now to branch out and seize the day. Having built an important foundation from which to grow I could now dabble with the game as comfortably as a new comer without clue can, would I pursue combat or otherwise? Now was a time for choice-nay, for heroes.

Read EVE Survivor Guy, Part Three.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

At least three things you still need to learn:

1) People leave cans of ore around to try and bait "ore thieves" who are usually not ore thieves at all, but rather, people trying to get miners to fire on them so they can kill the miner.

2) DON'T PAY TO REPAIR YOUR SHIP AT A STATION. This is insanely costly. Buy a small armor repairer and a small hull repairer, leave them in a station. Dock, fit them, undock, and repair using them. Sure its slower, but it saves you OODLES of cash.

3) As a 3 week newbie who focused on gunnery, your tanking skills are non-existant/suck. Don't try to tank beyond shields. Get yourself a shield booster, and fight until your shields are nearing being depleted and warp out. This saves you from a) paying oodles to repair at stations and b) waiting a long time to repair amor and hull. Dock and undock and your shields are fully repaired automatically.

Many people will suggest you use short range weapons early on. I heartily DISAGREE. The only effective tanking technique newbies have is speed/range tanking. SNIPE from 20km and you'll never get hit. "Keep at Range" is your friend.

All you need to be a sniper in Eve as a newbie is the right ammo, the right long range guns, an afterburner, and a shield booster (in case of "oops!"). And its easy to know when to leave: When your shields are below half.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

hi, on the next episode can you post some images whit your ship and stuff

BestSigEver :P

• VexeVexe Member Posts: 549

Awesome story and a good read. I'd give advice, but I don't think you'd see this anyway. :P

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

Yeah have to say if your gonna can flip someone, be sure there is no one nearby and second the moment you do steal the ore, either get out of the system or dock until the timer runs out.

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

Not sure what ship you were in (there is no Ravager Class), But I can tell you that you had it fit wrong. Lasers and Shield boosters never mix. Make sure you pay attention to the bonuses and the slot layout on the ship the ship your fitting. Laser boats only have about 4 mid slots and very low base shield hitpoints making shield boosting on them worthless. If your on a shield tanking ship more and likely it won't have the bonuses or the raw capacitor to handle the draw of the lasers sucki9ng your cap dry way too quickly.

• Lol "I sat in that station a broken man"

That made my day.
  • MMOShadowMMOShadow Member Posts: 1

A couple of misrepresentations are present in your otherwise decent article:

1. There is no ravager class ship/vessel.

2. No ship (especially any ship a new player can own and operate) has a dozen or more weapons (lasers on it) not even the huge captical ships.  The most any ship can operate is 8.

Now having said that, the ship models present in EVE Online show their guns "Doubled", so as to cover any arc while in combat.  However this does not mean you need to purchase double the guns or anything like that, it's just a game mechanic to ensure you can shoot in any direction and have it not look silly.  Most figate class ships (usuable by new players) have anywhere from 2 to 4 weapon systems usable on them.  There is one ship if you train for it early (that is in reach of a new player) that has more (the max of 8) and that is the destroyer class ship.  However most very new players even using that ship cannot fit more then 5-6 guns on it before their skills make it impossible to mount more.  So perhaps this is the ship "class" you are using and by apprearances it looks like you have a dozen or so weapons.  If you are buying a dozen or so weapons you're wasting your iskies, since you can't mount them all.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

LOL!

I'll give this guy credit he makes running a newb epic mission arc sound interesting lol.

Grats on the theft and glorious death.

Hopefully this guy roams low sec before hes done lol.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• DizsenDizsen Member Posts: 27

Great read. The npc corp they toss you into can be as helpful (more so imo) as the rookie channel .

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

*facepalm*

Seriously any normal person, in ANY game would at some point realise they were doing something very wrong if they had to run away, repair and come back that many times.  At least you'd think about putting on more armor!  Not more weapons.

And turning to the rookie channel for help, when your already in a corp full of other people in the same situation?..hmmmm...

I come to the conclusion that people who decide to try eve that are in any way like this person (who I still maintain is fictional)  are just plain stupid.  

And whats this?.. someone kill you at a station?.. it seems you've confused an NPC for a real player.. *even more facepalming*

If this guy does join a corp, he is just going to be abused.  I think its time to put the game down, its clearly not for him.

• SUMB44SUMB44 Member Posts: 182

I can't believe he wasn't podded in week three.  That would have been another lesson entirely.

Originally posted by sadeyx

*facepalm*

Seriously any normal person, in ANY game would at some point realise they were doing something very wrong if they had to run away, repair and come back that many times.  At least you'd think about putting on more armor!  Not more weapons.

And turning to the rookie channel for help, when your already in a corp full of other people in the same situation?..hmmmm...

I come to the conclusion that people who decide to try eve that are in any way like this person (who I still maintain is fictional)  are just plain stupid.  

And whats this?.. someone kill you at a station?.. it seems you've confused an NPC for a real player.. *even more facepalming*

If this guy does join a corp, he is just going to be abused.  I think its time to put the game down, its clearly not for him.

heh that npc at the end of the sisters of eve epic arc is pretty hard for low skilled players. Obviously the guy was setting his ship up wrong (Shields on amarr?) 

He's trying to do it on his own, honestly when i first started i remember warping in and out on world collide lol.

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

*facepalm*

FYI, this is the kind of response that keeps many new players out of EVE Online entirely. It's probably not best to berate the one person who's willing to try the game out cold and write about his successes and failures publically.

Your assertion that if you haven't figured it all out and done everything "right" straight away, the game isn't for you is part of the disconnect between theme park and sandbox players. just saying.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• Aki_RossAki_Ross Member Posts: 166

Ah, the joys of been a newbie. I remember those days well!  image

Originally posted by Stradden

*facepalm*

FYI, this is the kind of response that keeps many new players out of EVE Online entirely. It's probably not best to berate the one person who's willing to try the game out cold and write about his successes and failures publically.

Your assertion that if you haven't figured it all out and done everything "right" straight away, the game isn't for you is part of the disconnect between theme park and sandbox players. just saying.

Stradden you and I both know Eve players don't think like that.

If you aren't willing to join a corp pre eve client install, willing to read telephone directory sized game guides and know exactly what your goals are for the next four years within thirty seconds pre-tutorial attempt you need to go play wow lol.

With that said I kinda wish the guy atleast asked how to properly tank his amarr cruiser lol but thats just me being picky.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I have to admire his courage.  From reading his 3 articles it appears he's playing EVE w/o bothering to read even so much as a new player guide and literally just "playing" it from start. 

I woudn't recommend anyone do this, your experience can be so much better if you prepare in advance and research/read as you go along. 

And joining a corp isn't actually optional if you want to get some good answers to your queations early on.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by Nicoli

Not sure what ship you were in (there is no Ravager Class), But I can tell you that you had it fit wrong. Lasers and Shield boosters never mix. Make sure you pay attention to the bonuses and the slot layout on the ship the ship your fitting. Laser boats only have about 4 mid slots and very low base shield hitpoints making shield boosting on them worthless. If your on a shield tanking ship more and likely it won't have the bonuses or the raw capacitor to handle the draw of the lasers sucki9ng your cap dry way too quickly.

Well, there is the Nightmare to prove that rule isn't absolute. And plenty of people shield tank their harbingers and Zealots for PvP.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

Originally posted by Malcanis

Originally posted by Nicoli

Well, there is the Nightmare to prove that rule isn't absolute. And plenty of people shield tank their harbingers and Zealots for PvP.

heh toss a Large shield extender and Invul in mids and DCUII in low and you could make any ship BC sized and under a gank boat with a decent buffer.

I fly Gallente and everyone these days is shield tanking. I fear CCP may nerf passive shield tanking soon.  your almost a moron if you stiick to ship bonuses on alot of ships. I dont think CCP intended most of those ships to be setup like that.

I mean is it me or is everyone using projectiles on gallente boats? lol   Shield tanking and using projectiles on hsips meant as armor hybrid platforms...

CCP nerf inc. or a buff to armor and hybrids maybe?

Anyway... back on topic.

OP good write up.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

The beginning of this installment reads as a direct rebuttal to all the advice offered in the discussion on the last two articles as much as to any comments in Rookie chat. To that I would say, regardless of the tone that may be inferred, people are actually offering decent advice and trying to help. Why ignore it?

The author wants to experience the game as a true new player and he would get all the same advice that he is being given here. Now, if he is adamant in ignoring the advice then, like so many others, there is a good chance he is not going to get the most he could out of this game.

I suppose the question for the author is; Do you want to be another new player who gets bored and quits or do you want to really get into the game and learn why others enjoy it so much? If the latter, then I would say start listening to the advice being offered. The people offering it have been there before and have the benefit of hindsight. There may be some differing or conflicting advice offered, but there are enough voices to come to a reasonable consensus and make an educated choice on your next course of action.

I suppose it strikes me as a bit humorous because there are a number of boiler plate responses that are given out as advice to just about every new player that hits the NPC corp and those who listen already have an advantage when it comes to getting the most enjoyment from their time in the game.

edit:

Also, I agree with cosy; could the OP post screenshots of his adventures in the article rather then stock images. It could only add to write ups which, despite any criticism, I have enjoyed reading.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• RodentofdoomRodentofdoom Member Posts: 273

If he's getting different coloured weapon effects, im guessing he's got multiple ammo's loaded (and/or different guns)

If he does check these comments, DONT MIX AMMO TYPES or WEAPONS, it's bad mkay ..

Help My Mission Channel is a good thing to know about too.

Originally posted by Rodentofdoom

If he's getting different coloured weapon effects, im guessing he's got multiple ammo's loaded (and/or different guns)

If he does check these comments, DONT MIX AMMO TYPES or WEAPONS, it's bad mkay ..

Help My Mission Channel is a good thing to know about too.

Yeha it's obvious he's not looking at the info on the ammo. Im picturing a cruiser with a mix of Beam and pulse lasers maybe even a mix of frigate and cruiser sized guns.

Yikes...

heh I guess we were all new once aye?

shit I think he maybe fitting a civi shield booster on that thing with how fast he got killed...

• ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314

Like we said in the first article comments:

Eve University.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• MGShogunMGShogun Member Posts: 10

Sounds like one had to research a lot before one can actually start to play EVE online. I tried the trial twice but I just feel very lost everytime I started up. 

• 41eX41eX Member UncommonPosts: 99

Originally posted by Rockgod99

If you aren't willing to join a corp pre eve client install, willing to read telephone directory sized game guides and know exactly what your goals are for the next four years within thirty seconds pre-tutorial attempt you need to go play wow lol.

lol

What is this some sort of ego compensation?

You know what? Write your goals and acchievements in Eve, publically.

Show the world how you advance to achieve your 30 sec goals.

I agree on the corp thing, tho.

Originally posted by 41eX

Originally posted by Rockgod99

lol

What is this some sort of ego compensation?

You know what? Write your goals and acchievements in Eve, publically.

Show the world how you advance to achieve your 30 sec goals.

I agree on the corp thing, tho.

It was a joke post lol.

Just saying we kinda expect too much from new players.

Even in regular single player games rarely will a new player even read the in box manual.

Here we expect a player to mess with out of game guides, third party programs and all types of shit to "Enjoy the game".

I honestly think the tutorial missions, Rookie and regular help channels, and NPC corp chat are enough to get a new player started atleast the first few weeks.