Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another really good "I quit" thread...

Comments

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177

One of my Fleet members got an infraction for posting this;  I deleted his name and any links that were in the message since they were linked to his account by his request.

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL!

Dear XXXXXXXXX,

You have received a new private message at Star Trek Online Forums from Kwoance, entitled "You have received an infraction at Star Trek Online Forums".

To read the original version, respond to, or delete this message, you must log in here:

This is the message that was sent:

Dear XXXXXXXX,

You have received an infraction at Star Trek Online Forums.

Reason: Mildly Obscene/Vulgar/Inappropriate Objectionable Material

-------

"Hi  XXXXXXXXX, One of your postings in the What happened to Cryptic? thread has resulted in this moderation. Please take a moment to review our Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines and Cryptic Studios Infraction Policy to help ensure no further missteps with your postings.

If you feel that anyone has posted content that warrants moderation, please use the REPORT feature and one of the moderators will look into the matter further. Report violations, do not quote them or reply to them. Responding to a violation in an inflammatory manner is a violation in itself and will result in appropriate action. If you feel this moderation was an error, please send an e-mail to [email protected].

We look forward to your continued support and participation in our community! Thanks!

Kwoance

-------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires.  Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:

---Quote---

---Quote (Originally by Rekhan)---

What exactly was this trying to achieve, other than to make someone feel bad? You talk about being real people. The devs are, too. I doubt you'd appreciate getting spoken to like that at your job.

As always, feedback is great. Even if it's negative feedback. But getting personal is just silly and doesn't help anyone.

---End Quote---

Yes, they need to feel bad because I feel  bad every time I log on and think what a pile of stuff a dog drops and you can see by my sig that I spent my money.  I guess if they put a Phaser that shot out purple beams is the C-Store you would be happy and stroke their ego and tell them how good a job they have done.

---End Quote---

All the best,

Star Trek Online Forums

Again, please do not reply to this email. You must go to the following page to reply to this private message:

All the best,

Star Trek Online Forums

I may be wrong, but I do not see anything in his reply that is  Mildly Obscene/Vulgar/Inappropriate Objectionable Material.  He sent an e-mail to their above link to have them explain what was wrong and as of today he has not got a rreply back,

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Yes the truth as I see it is Cryptic is basically tearing down anything critical of them on the forums, I posted an I quit thread (wish I had saved and posted it too)  and mine was even more tame than the one above and I got an infraction for it.  What I really found funny was I quit the day I would have been charged again so after the post I lost access to STO and found the email a few days later when I went to the main site and noticed I still had thirty in game emails, don't know why I even checked since to this day they have all been exclusively gold spammers but right in the middle was the Cryptic warning amidst the other pathetic gold selling posts.

Cryptic is a pathetic company which is an assessment I usually reserve for people who do a little worse than just having no clue about how to design a successful mmo.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

Originally posted by jaxsundane

Yes the truth as I see it is Cryptic is basically tearing down anything critical of them on the forums, I posted an I quit thread (wish I had saved and posted it too)  and mine was even more tame than the one above and I got an infraction for it.  What I really found funny was I quit the day I would have been charged again so after the post I lost access to STO and found the email a few days later when I went to the main site and noticed I still had thirty in game emails, don't know why I even checked since to this day they have all been exclusively gold spammers but right in the middle was the Cryptic warning amidst the other pathetic gold selling posts.

Cryptic is a pathetic company which is an assessment I usually reserve for people who do a little worse than just having no clue about how to design a successful mmo.

I remember your "I quit" post.  Funniest part was a mod edited out the entire content but left the thread open for a while so the CDF could troll it.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by Dinendae

While not an "I quit" thread, I saw a very good post along those lines in a thread dealing with the core problems of the game: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=2497085&postcount=7

Take a look at the entire thread. Those who subscribe monthly agree with the thread's premise and try to offer good solutions to fix those problems.

And then we get snarky bashing comments from the lifers...

I'm becoming convinced that the lifers will be the death of this game while also being the only people subscribing.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by PoopyStuff

Originally posted by Xondar123

Originally posted by Jorikuza

I don't see why people persist on spewing so much negativity towards this game. I bet you if CCP had made STO, and made the EXACT same game, it would've recieved much better reviews.

I seriously, seriously doubt that. If any company made this crap pile of a game that company would have been laughed out of the MMO industry in the same manner Cryptic is. How do I nknow this? Because I'm a huge City of Heroes fan. Look at my XFire profile in my sig, look at my screenshot gallery, I love my CoH. Based on City of Heroes alone, I was excited that Cryptic was making STO. Based on City of Heroes I was hoping this game would be as fun and unique as I've found City of Heroes to be.

But, as I learned more and more about STO I knew more and more that this game would not be close to the standards set by CoH, it wouldn't be close to the standards set by any game, this game was simply going to be lacking. I tried my hardest to influence Cryptic in the direction I thought would be good for STO. When the only STO info coming out of Cryptic was nothing but combat, combat, combat I posted a thread on the official forums listing about 12 classic episodes of Star Trek that don't feature a single bit of combat ("The Trouble With Tribbles," "City on the Edge of Forever," "The Inner Light," "The Measure of a Man," "Duet," "The Visitor," etc) and I begged, pleaded for the Cryptic devs to watch these episodes and use them as a guide to making a Star Trek MMO and to realize that Star Trek is not all about combat. They didn't listen, they made a game focused almost solely on combat. And now one of the biggest complaints against STO is that it "doesn't feel like Star Trek" and the Cryptic devs are hurt because of this criticism!

If CCP, or Blizzard, or Bioware made this sad, sad excuse for an MMO I would be in the front line with a pitchfork and torch.

I do not play STO, I tried the beta and it wasn't for me, wasn't bad, just not for me. I' am not a fanboy of STO as you would like to label me.

The fact you think so highly of COH just proves how low your standards are.

That fact that you chose to personally attack someone for their choice of entertainment just proves how low you are.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

While not an "I quit" thread, I saw a very good post along those lines in a thread dealing with the core problems of the game: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=2497085&postcount=7

Take a look at the entire thread. Those who subscribe monthly agree with the thread's premise and try to offer good solutions to fix those problems.

I'm becoming convinced that the lifers will be the death of this game while also being the only people subscribing.

To be fair, there seemed to be quite a few blues agreeing that the game is severely lacking in that thread.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Thats the irony, isnt it. Because they're not subscribers.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

I don't see why people persist on spewing so much negativity towards this game. I bet you if CCP had made STO, and made the EXACT same game, it would've recieved much better reviews.

I do not play STO, I tried the beta and it wasn't for me, wasn't bad, just not for me. I' am not a fanboy of STO as you would like to label me.

I can't speak for CCP as I've not given EVE a fair shake, but I can tell you before STO I had a really good opinion of Cryptic.

I really enjoyed the CoX games and felt while they were quit simple, they were pretty fun to play (this of course was immediately after SOE dropped the NGE bomb on us, so ANYTHING was fun to play at that time... but I digress).

Fast forward to the STO beta and I was horrified at what Cryptic had delivered with full knowledge that it wasn't up to snuff.  It's a blatent rip off. No if's, and's, or but's about it.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

saying someone has low standars is a personal attack?

Yes. It's not much on the internet scale of insults, but yes.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• PoopyStuffPoopyStuff Member Posts: 297

Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

I can't speak for CCP as I've not given EVE a fair shake, but I can tell you before STO I had a really good opinion of Cryptic.

I really enjoyed the CoX games and felt while they were quit simple, they were pretty fun to play (this of course was immediately after SOE dropped the NGE bomb on us, so ANYTHING was fun to play at that time... but I digress).

Fast forward to the STO beta and I was horrified at what Cryptic had delivered with full knowledge that it wasn't up to snuff.  It's a blatent rip off. No if's, and's, or but's about it.

buyer beware.

All you had to do was do your research about STO and if you decided to give them money for such a pos, then its on you.

if you played the beta and thought the released game was gonna be way better, than you nieve at best.

companies will sell you a turd with ice cream sprinkes on it, and if you smell the turd, but ignore it, its all your responsiblity.

You gotta vote with your dollars.

and sadly there's a lot of stupid voters, both in actual politics, and in the gaming industry.

• PoopyStuffPoopyStuff Member Posts: 297

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Yes. It's not much on the internet scale of insults, but yes.

If its true, its not an attack.

It's a statement of fact.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by gholston

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=151384

This one has the standard lifers defending the game. I thought the OP did a damn good job hammering Cryptic  :)

It has really been a psychology lesson of sorts as to how attached people are to their "investments". The lifers still defend this game to the death and it absolutely amazes me.

I'm amazed that the post has not been deleted and the poster banned. Don't they have a strict no I quit message policy now?  Its too bad that STO turned out the way that it did. With that IP they would have had a gold mine on their hands if they had used a better design, and made sure that the elements actually worked together and more important. that they were fun.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

buyer beware.

All you had to do was do your research about STO and if you decided to give them money for such a pos, then its on you.

if you played the beta and thought the released game was gonna be way better, than you nieve at best.

companies will sell you a turd with ice cream sprinkes on it, and if you smell the turd, but ignore it, its all your responsiblity.

You gotta vote with your dollars.

and sadly there's a lot of stupid voters, both in actual politics, and in the gaming industry.

Unfortunetly I have to agree with you. We wouldn't be seeing these threads if people would just NOT PUT UP WITH THIS S***!

(btw: Thank you Cryptic for letting me into the open beta... saved me $50)

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

CCP would NOT have made all of the mistakes that Cryptic did, thus the situation is unrealistic. Eve is a far superior game.  If CCP had made STO it would have had a great deal more depth, better graphics and would have actually been fun to play.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."

Originally posted by ktanner3

I seriously, seriously doubt that. If any company made this crap pile of a game that company would have been laughed out of the MMO industry in the same manner Cryptic is. How do I nknow this? Because I'm a huge City of Heroes fan. Look at my XFire profile in my sig, look at my screenshot gallery, I love my CoH. Based on City of Heroes alone, I was excited that Cryptic was making STO. Based on City of Heroes I was hoping this game would be as fun and unique as I've found City of Heroes to be.

But, as I learned more and more about STO I knew more and more that this game would not be close to the standards set by CoH, it wouldn't be close to the standards set by any game, this game was simply going to be lacking. I tried my hardest to influence Cryptic in the direction I thought would be good for STO. When the only STO info coming out of Cryptic was nothing but combat, combat, combat I posted a thread on the official forums listing about 12 classic episodes of Star Trek that don't feature a single bit of combat ("The Trouble With Tribbles," "City on the Edge of Forever," "The Inner Light," "The Measure of a Man," "Duet," "The Visitor," etc) and I begged, pleaded for the Cryptic devs to watch these episodes and use them as a guide to making a Star Trek MMO and to realize that Star Trek is not all about combat. They didn't listen, they made a game focused almost solely on combat. And now one of the biggest complaints against STO is that it "doesn't feel like Star Trek" and the Cryptic devs are hurt because of this criticism!

If CCP, or Blizzard, or Bioware made this sad, sad excuse for an MMO I would be in the front line with a pitchfork and torch.

That fact that you chose to personally attack someone for their choice of entertainment just proves how low you are.

so if he didn't care how a girl looks to date her, and decided to date ugly chicks, and someone said he had low standards that would be an insult?

you make no sense pal.

Just stating the obvious.

CoH is a pretty good game, and overall most people would agree with me. No need to be a jerk about it.

(By the way, your analogy is flawed. If I liked Asian chicks and you didn't, could you say I have low standards because I think an Asian chick is hot? Some games can be objectively said to be bad, STO is an example of that, CoH is not.)

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

so if he didn't care how a girl looks to date her, and decided to date ugly chicks, and someone said he had low standards that would be an insult?

you make no sense pal.

CoH is a pretty good game, and overall most people would agree with me. No need to be a jerk about it.

(By the way, your analogy is flawed. If I liked Asian chicks and you didn't, could you say I have low standards because I think an Asian chick is hot? Some games can be objectively said to be bad, STO is an example of that, CoH is not.)

Very few games can be objectively said to be bad.

Oh, and Asian chicks ARE hot.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• MeTedMeTed Member Posts: 129

Originally posted by gholston

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=151384

This one has the standard lifers defending the game. I thought the OP did a damn good job hammering Cryptic  :)

It has really been a psychology lesson of sorts as to how attached people are to their "investments". The lifers still defend this game to the death and it absolutely amazes me.

You know a game is bad when people get more entertainment value from the forums than actually playing the game. It's really bad when people quit or continue to read the forums over there to post comments made from there to here. I have to admit the forums provided way more entertainment value than the game ever did :D. +5 for Cryptic for forum entertainment!

• ThrawlThrawl Member Posts: 271

CCP doesn't even charge for expansions. They sure as hell don't charge for emotes nickel and diming their community.

Our spirit was here long before you

Long before us

And long will it be after your pride brings you to your end

Originally posted by Rohn

you make no sense pal.

Very few games can be objectively said to be bad.

Sure there are, Master of Orion 2 is a classic, Master of Orion 3 is generally agreed to be a bad game. Dante's Inferno got horrible reviews. Plaqyers and reviers generally agree that STO is a bad MMO, either not worth the subscription rate, or generally unfinished and needing a few more years of development time. It's generally agreed that CoH is a good game. It pioneered a lot of stuff that was never seen in MMOs before such as achievements/deeds/etc. which are a direct rip-off of the CoH badge system, CoH was one of the first games to use sidekicking to allow low level players play with high level players, and the fact that CoH was a non-fantasy MMO in a market glutted with fantasy MMOs. Six years ago when CoH came out you could plrobably count the number of non-fantasy MMOs on one hand.

I fully agree, just ask my girlfriend. But some people don't think so, and they're welcome to that opinion. But because someone says "I don't find Asian chicks hot" does not mean Asian chicks aren't hot or there aren't hot Asian chicks out there. That's why the analogy "so if he didn't care how a girl looks to date her, and decided to date ugly chicks, and someone said he had low standards that would be an insult?" is a bad analogy. Those people saying I have low expectations because I like City of Heroes either don't know anything about City of Heroes, they are trolling me, or they don't like City of Heroes for whatever reason (or hold a grudge against it,) in the last case they are like a guy saying "you're dating an Asian chick? You must have low standards because I think Asians are ugly."

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

I fully agree, just ask my girlfriend. 

I could care less about the rest of the posts.  You're girl friend likes asian chicks?  It's a double blessing if your girl friend is asian and is open. :) Lucky guy.

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

I could care less about the rest of the posts.  You're girl friend likes asian chicks?  It's a double blessing if your girl friend is asian and is open. :) Lucky guy.

Nah, my girlfriend doesn't like chicks at all. :( However, she is Asian, so she can attest to the fact that I like Asian chicks.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

To borrow a quote from the movie Dodgeball: "That's what I like to call the jackpot."

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

I think if a customer has legitimate cause for complaint then they  have the right to express it. 

If that customer is then diciplined for expressing discontent then its only human to get emotional about it, it really isnt that difficult to understand when you think about it.

When a company consistently and consecutivly (CO and then STO) produces poor quality products followed with poor quality customer service and mistreatment of customers then, again, it really is not that hard to understand why customers build up a picture in their mind and develop a personal hatred.  Its virtually impossible for the mind not to express such feelings.

I neither bought CO or STO, but did beta test both and followed their performance after release.  While I dont get emotional about it I really do feel for its customers.  I have felt the same way for other products both computer orientated and otherwise.  I truly beleive that such an organisation should not be rewarded and that other potential customers should be aware.

Cryptic should be made aware that both its products and its treatment of customers is entirly unnaceptable!  Even if you havnt experienced negative events and even if you accept the quality of their product then you must still understand why the treatment of your fellow community should be corrected, if not for your futures sake then for the sake of your chosen proprietor.

• AttackoAttacko Member Posts: 40

"standards and norms of modern MMOs"

"fellow gamers" 

MMo;s   are a dying art form

the best thing any company  can do is the exact opposite of following outdated mmo's and their structure

pander to the trek crowd- they do not care about leveling or loot or crap

leave that to the self proclaimed experts of the genre- which seems to be jumping aorund to different games

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by AgtSmith

Originally posted by TheAesthete

I frankly think this is a bizarre claim. It's not like Cryptic was this loathed entity two years ago. Other than a few hardcore CoX players whose feelings were still hurt over "Enhancement Diversification," most people either had no opinion of Cryptic or had a mildly positive view of them. If they hate the developer now, its because they dislike the games they've released in the last year, not the other way around.

Well said.  As to why the 'hate' for Crytpic, simple - the put out a game knowing damn well it was not up to snuff, plain and simple.  Crytpic is not stupid, they know 2 years is not enough time for an MMO, and they know darn well their engine is hardly capable of the features and elements people expect in an MMO.  Yet they went forward with their port and release plan and flat out ripped people off by design; hype, hype, hype - sell boxes - port another IP just in time for the last one to crash and burn.

Yeah, reading what they're up to these days, they seem to be falling into some "mass-production" mode of MMOs (relative to the time typically alotted to developing a MMO that is). Someone said it elsewhere... quantity, not quality.

I have yet to read or see an industry review that was complimentary of it... they were mostly quite harsh, and usually for the same reasons (pointless ground missions, no exploration, etc).

I think it's safe to say that, though there is the dissent from some fans, that STO is pretty much universally being panned as a sub-standard product.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops