Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Prophecy vs the rest

2»

Comments

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360
    Originally posted by Rayx0r

Ive got a close eye on Black Prophecy as well as Jumpgate Evolution.  I really like the artwork and style of Black Proph, however in the FAQ it mentions an experience based system.  I hope its not a level system.  Also, a game revolving around a universe in conflict with only 2 playable factions?  On the upside, the ship customization system sounds awesome.  I hate to get hyped up so much about it, but it sounds like we'll have more ship options than Eve to customize.  I also like their ideas on clan space stations and resources.
    Jumpgate has revealed a lot more about the game than BP has, also has 3 playable factions.  I'll be honest the one thing that turns me off from it is its artwork.  This could change when in-game though, but BP seems to have an edge on its universe design, art and backstory.

There is actually a lot of info out on BP, although it's all still subject to change at this point.  The HD gameplay video sheds some light on the attribute system.  It looks like receive points to distribute between your attributes, although it isn't clear exactly what skills those attributes govern, it doesn't appear to be level based.  There are some pretty informative screen-caps from the HD video on the official forums, showing the attributes and even the requirement on some of the gear.  

So far it looks like what I was hoping Eve would be....

• BoombadiLBoombadiL Member Posts: 50

Reminds me of Homeworld , a space RTS which is still one of my favorite games.  The graphic style of it anyways

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360
    Originally posted by Guillermo197

Originally posted by ScreamerMM

Jumpgate looks nice, but not as good as this. Only two sci-fi space MMO's worth paying any attention to.

I agree with the first sentence, but if you havnt already go check out Earthrise.  It may possibly be the next BIG sci-fi game.  Its drawing a lot of attention from fans of Eve because of its crafting and resource system as well as anarchy online.

I agree.

The moment I found out you are bound to your ship and space. Having no character avatars, not being able to dock and walk around. I instantly lost all my interest.

I am not interested in paying a monthly fee for a glorified space shooter.

So I have indeed more hope for Earthrise then this game.

So.. a glorified space shooter isn't worth your subscription dollars, but a mediocre FPS is?

• HarabeckHarabeck Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Salvatoris

Originally posted by Guillermo197

Originally posted by ScreamerMM

Jumpgate looks nice, but not as good as this. Only two sci-fi space MMO's worth paying any attention to.

I agree with the first sentence, but if you havnt already go check out Earthrise.  It may possibly be the next BIG sci-fi game.  Its drawing a lot of attention from fans of Eve because of its crafting and resource system as well as anarchy online.

I agree.

The moment I found out you are bound to your ship and space. Having no character avatars, not being able to dock and walk around. I instantly lost all my interest.

I am not interested in paying a monthly fee for a glorified space shooter.

So I have indeed more hope for Earthrise then this game.

So.. a glorified space shooter isn't worth your subscription dollars, but a mediocre FPS is?

Earthrise isn't an fps, it's an rpg. Although it does do away with Wow's hard lock system, so you do have to aim. Sandbox territory warfare and open pvp along with a player driven economy and in depth crafting with no instances at all sounds, better than an extremely casual, heavily instanced space shooter. But it's all a matter of preference.

• nuififunnuififun Member Posts: 123

The latest BP trailer was better than the recent JGE ones - it just seems cooler.. better music etc.  Ive been waiting for the next elite since I played it on the speccy many many years ago..

The 1st game that gives  planetary landings, actual space station landings (not loading screens) and the ability to get out of the craft will be a massive draw for me.

• solnicarissolnicaris Member Posts: 148
    Originally posted by nuififun

The latest BP trailer was better than the recent JGE ones - it just seems cooler.. better music etc.  Ive been waiting for the next elite since I played it on the speccy many many years ago..
    The 1st game that gives  planetary landings, actual space station landings (not loading screens) and the ability to get out of the craft will be a massive draw for me.

That game would be Infinity :)

But I agree that BP's trailers have out done JGE in every way.

Come and checkout my website:
    SpaceSimCentral.com - Your Space Sim Community Gaming Resource
    Discuss EVE, JGE, BP, Infinity, Taikodom, FL, FS, HW, WC, X and more

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

First impression I had was BP being miles ahead of JGE in the race for my money ... but then I read the JGE first look preview here and now I'm not so sure anymore. Nothing bad about having a tough choice to make in this regard though :D

• lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by DarkPony

First impression I had was BP being miles ahead of JGE in the race for my money ... but then I read the JGE first look preview here and now I'm not so sure anymore. Nothing bad about having a tough choice to make in this regard though :D

ya but we don't know when BP is going to be released... where as JGE comes out the end next month. (if it doesn't get pushed back, which is always possible with any game)

There is still a lot of information missing from both games. Only good thing I can say about BP is that there isn't a confirmed release date so they get a pass for now. JGE on the other hand gets hopefully released in June and information isn't really getting put out.

• WargoleMWargoleM Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by solnicaris

Personally it shouldn't be much of an issue on avg most people have a broadband connection. Space games are easier to render because they use backgrounds and really the only rendering goes into the ships, planets, stations and weapons fire. This is still a DX9 game so Nvidia 8800+ type video cards should do just fine. I play Crysis Warhead on full settings and works great on my 8800 and BP isn't even close to that complex.

you also dont understand that Reakktor are not an experienced company at developing or optimising graphics :P 

Save a Tree.... Eat a Beaver

Originally posted by WargoleM

Originally posted by solnicaris

Personally it shouldn't be much of an issue on avg most people have a broadband connection. Space games are easier to render because they use backgrounds and really the only rendering goes into the ships, planets, stations and weapons fire. This is still a DX9 game so Nvidia 8800+ type video cards should do just fine. I play Crysis Warhead on full settings and works great on my 8800 and BP isn't even close to that complex.

you also dont understand that Reakktor are not an experienced company at developing or optimising graphics :P 

Optimising graphics... they look pretty damn good if you ask me. Those screenshots are not fake because the in-game video is quite good.

• XerathuleXerathule Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by Cometer

Well it seams to me space sims interest has picked up again as companies have had some sucess with this type of games in the mmo world.
    There is Jumpgate Evolutions. Star Trek Online, Vendetta Online and so on.
    Each with they're strong and week points. But most of them do appeal to a like minded player base.
    Star Trek Online for instances promisses a more tactical oriented combat system, and who wouldn't like to sit on the commanders chair. Jumpgate provides that fast-paced Freelancer like kind of combat. Black Prophecy from what I gatther will provide a Freespace kind of combat system and it brings the concept of player run stations like it is possible in games such as Egosoft's X series or the classic game Elite.

So what do you guys think is most likely to succed as a sci-fi space based MMORPG?

Elite!!!  I forgot all about that game!  Those were the days!

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

I wish a game came out that was like this one:

It really sucked me in.

You had explorers (mesmerizer buffs), Traders (healers) and Warriors (tanks).   God I loved that game.  I wish one would come out like that one.  I was a level 136 Terran Trader.  150 was the highest level (I think).  You can dock at a space station, walk around, meet friends, buy stuff, craft weapons, armor, engines, missles and more.  

Looks like it may be coming back?

• Inverness910Inverness910 Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by outfctrl

I wish a game came out that was like this one:

It really sucked me in.

(snip)

You had explorers (mesmerizer buffs), Traders (healers) and Warriors (tanks).   God I loved that game.  I wish one would come out like that one.  I was a level 136 Terran Trader.  150 was the highest level (I think).  You can dock at a space station, walk around, meet friends, buy stuff, craft weapons, armor, engines, missles and more.  

Looks like it may be coming back?

You'll want to check out the E&B Emulator: http://www.enb-emulator.com/

• enoch777enoch777 Member Posts: 6

Black Prophecy looks to me to be a damn good game worth waiting for. Hopefully I get selected as a CB tester, but if not; I'll wait patiently until it comes out.

This is what I expected EVE to be like when I signed up for it... (boy, was I dissapointed. Still played it though cause it is addictive... Kind of like 3D chess :) )

• JDGalisJDGalis Member UncommonPosts: 143

I'm looking foward to this game none the less ^.^ Looks like a mmo version of X3

Introducing the best signature ever!

[signature] Best Signature [/signature]