Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another really good "I quit" thread...

gholstongholston Member Posts: 83

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=151384

This one has the standard lifers defending the game. I thought the OP did a damn good job hammering Cryptic  :)

It has really been a psychology lesson of sorts as to how attached people are to their "investments". The lifers still defend this game to the death and it absolutely amazes me.

Comments

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

I just read all 18 pages of that thread (yeah, i'm bored), and there are many who are reasonable, blue name or otherwise. It's the truely pathetic fans (one or two especially) that call people liers and debate what a "fact" is that make me laugh derisively.

EDITTED so as not to be "excessively negative", which is not allowed here.

• JorikuzaJorikuza Member Posts: 46

I don't see why people persist on spewing so much negativity towards this game. I bet you if CCP had made STO, and made the EXACT same game, it would've recieved much better reviews.

I do not play STO, I tried the beta and it wasn't for me, wasn't bad, just not for me. I' am not a fanboy of STO as you would like to label me.

"I went to the store to buy a candle holder. They were out, so I bought a cake." -Mitch Hedberg

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by Jorikuza

I don't see why people persist on spewing so much negativity towards this game. I bet you if CCP had made STO, and made the EXACT same game, it would've recieved much better reviews.

I seriously, seriously doubt that. If any company made this crap pile of a game that company would have been laughed out of the MMO industry in the same manner Cryptic is. How do I nknow this? Because I'm a huge City of Heroes fan. Look at my XFire profile in my sig, look at my screenshot gallery, I love my CoH. Based on City of Heroes alone, I was excited that Cryptic was making STO. Based on City of Heroes I was hoping this game would be as fun and unique as I've found City of Heroes to be.

But, as I learned more and more about STO I knew more and more that this game would not be close to the standards set by CoH, it wouldn't be close to the standards set by any game, this game was simply going to be lacking. I tried my hardest to influence Cryptic in the direction I thought would be good for STO. When the only STO info coming out of Cryptic was nothing but combat, combat, combat I posted a thread on the official forums listing about 12 classic episodes of Star Trek that don't feature a single bit of combat ("The Trouble With Tribbles," "City on the Edge of Forever," "The Inner Light," "The Measure of a Man," "Duet," "The Visitor," etc) and I begged, pleaded for the Cryptic devs to watch these episodes and use them as a guide to making a Star Trek MMO and to realize that Star Trek is not all about combat. They didn't listen, they made a game focused almost solely on combat. And now one of the biggest complaints against STO is that it "doesn't feel like Star Trek" and the Cryptic devs are hurt because of this criticism!

If CCP, or Blizzard, or Bioware made this sad, sad excuse for an MMO I would be in the front line with a pitchfork and torch.

I do not play STO, I tried the beta and it wasn't for me, wasn't bad, just not for me. I' am not a fanboy of STO as you would like to label me.

• gholstongholston Member Posts: 83

CCP wouldn't have made this. They have enough sense to make an MMO that is intellectually stimulating and challenging. I know a lot of people say that Eve Online was crap in the beginning, but there is a huge difference between Eve and STO... Eve Online didn't shoebox itself into a prison with a bunch of instances like STO. Eve Online started out as a huge universe with plenty of room to expand.

But yeah if CCP would have made this game, I guarantee you it would have failed with them too. And people would be criticizing them just as fiercely.

• TheAestheteTheAesthete Member Posts: 264

I frankly think this is a bizarre claim. It's not like Cryptic was this loathed entity two years ago. Other than a few hardcore CoX players whose feelings were still hurt over "Enhancement Diversification," most people either had no opinion of Cryptic or had a mildly positive view of them. If they hate the developer now, its because they dislike the games they've released in the last year, not the other way around.

• SpiderpopeSpiderpope Member Posts: 69

Prior to Star Trek Online, i was ambivalent about Cryptic. About the only experience i'd had with their games was a 14 day trial of City of Heroes.  I neither liked nor disliked them. Then i tried Star Trek Online, and whilst the game was mediocre and largely devoid of content i figured i'd give them a chance.

Then came their preferential treatment of LTSers. Then came their patronising treatement of their monthly subscribers.Then came the realisation that rather than work on fixing the substandard game they released, they would rather produce microtransaction fluff to get more money off their customers. And then came the final blow, making a player council without even visiting the sites they were linking to. I cant say how unimpressed i was to find the main STO site linking to a blog containing more profanity than the average Merchant Navy ship along with posts about shaving their genitalia with their dads razors.

Cryptic took my ambivalence and turned it into dislike by displaying their incompetence and utter contempt for their customers. What you call "spewing negativity" i call telling the truth and making people aware of the shoddy treatment they can expect as a Cryptic customer.

Your friendly neighbourhood Spider-pope.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

I respectfully disagree.  I have not played STO whatsoever, so I'm not defending the game.   But the poster in that thread you linked had nothing but hyperbole and non-facts to say.

• bstiffbstiff Member Posts: 359

Originally posted by SwampRob

I respectfully disagree.  I have not played STO whatsoever, so I'm not defending the game.   But the poster in that thread you linked had nothing but hyperbole and non-facts to say.

Not attacking you but  if you haven't played STO at all how could you know what's hyperbole and fact. If you think he's exaggerating how badly the game is put together he's not.There's really no exploration or feeling that you're seeing something unique that you haven't seen before. I guess technically you could call some of the genesis missions unique as you probably haven't seen that combination of maps, objectives and aliens before. At the same time, you probably have seen those aliens, that map and that objective before.  It comes across as lazy and lackadaisical on the part of cryptic. Did they really think people wouldn't realize they've seen it all before. Basically mission in the entire game boil down to destroy x number of fleets, scan x number of ojects,  and pick up or talk to x person. 

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648

What a silly claim to make. If another developer developed this game it would not be the EXACT same game now would it. Of course not. It wouldn't be the same team or management. What do yout hink happens, some pubisher hands the development team a blue print to a game and tells them to get on it,  so it doesn't matter who they give it to? Nonsense. Hell we know it wouldn't have been the exact same game because it wouldn't have recycled CO's engine.

I understand what you are saying, that if any other developer put out STO it might have gotten a bigger benefit of the doubt, the problem is... that would never have happened so your example is just dead in the water.

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

• AgtSmithAgtSmith Member Posts: 1,498

Originally posted by TheAesthete

I frankly think this is a bizarre claim. It's not like Cryptic was this loathed entity two years ago. Other than a few hardcore CoX players whose feelings were still hurt over "Enhancement Diversification," most people either had no opinion of Cryptic or had a mildly positive view of them. If they hate the developer now, its because they dislike the games they've released in the last year, not the other way around.

Well said.  As to why the 'hate' for Crytpic, simple - the put out a game knowing damn well it was not up to snuff, plain and simple.  Crytpic is not stupid, they know 2 years is not enough time for an MMO, and they know darn well their engine is hardly capable of the features and elements people expect in an MMO.  Yet they went forward with their port and release plan and flat out ripped people off by design; hype, hype, hype - sell boxes - port another IP just in time for the last one to crash and burn.

--------------------------------
    Achiever 60.00%, Socializer 53.00%, Killer 47.00%, Explorer 40.00%
    Intel Core i7 Quad, Intel X58 SLi, 6G Corsair XMS DDR3, Intel X-25 SSD, 3 WD Velociraptor SATA SuperTrak SAS EX8650 Array, OCZ 1250W PS, GTX 295, xFi, 32" 1080p LCD

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Well as someone who played open beta,closed beta, and release from head start until April 8th that if CCP made the exact same game they would not be getting better reviews, they would be the same but the real problem is no way would CCP make the game as crappy and content deficient as Cryptic has.

From what I've seen of EVE it is a very complex game in it's skill systems and can be a very immersive experience.  Cryptic has never made a game that I would be bothered about turning off one way or another, I've never felt the pull to play neither CO nor STO.  I played STO because I desire a sci fi game and am sick of the sword and sorcerer stuff so I logged into STO and played it even though within two weeks I was totally indifferent to the experience waiting to see if they mentioned anything in the pipeline worthwhile and got nothing so I quit.

Another very bothersome point about STO and Cryptic in general is that a company simply should not be offering such little content and have a cash shop which so far has been beefed up around patch time more than the content has.

I for one am not totally opposed to games having cash shops but the way Cryptic does it is foolish, it's like the fast food companies why would I buy a value meal from Burger King if I only get a burger and soda (no fries) for the same price as one from McDonalds with fries included?  Cryptic is charging the value meal price and making us buy the fries seperately.

I seriously think that Cryptic is cashing in on the die hard nature of gamers and mmo players more specifically and that is a problem for me.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

Originally posted by TheAesthete

Excellent point, I had a rather positive opinion of Cryptic before the launch of STO.  I will admit I have always thought their design philosophy is inherently flawed (they like to make very shallow arcade type mmo's with very little variety) but I gave them the benefit of the doubt that they would know better than to try and fit Star Trek into their mostly mindless style of development.  I can even accept that they didn't know any better or do any better at launch, my problem now is mainly with the lack of content in the game and the steady pace of C store items offered every season (of the two so far).  They are charging for things that really should be free especially if I just consider the lack of content in the game as it is.

I simply can't trust the company in neither philosphy or excecution.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Too funny

"Wow, I'm not sure how this thread got to 18 pages without being closed.

I think that is an "I quit" thread record.

We appreciate the OP's opinions about STO and we wish them the best in all of their future endeavors.

I will now be closing this thread."

It took a Mod 18 pages to close thead. Amazing that the OP gave the game another chance so soon. Glad that I'm not playing with any of those blue suckups. I'm curious just what they find interesting in that game. By this point they HAVE to be at end game with their characters and from what I've read there still isn't anything to do once you get there. Maybe they are leveling alts though I can't see why anyone would want to replay the same missions over and over again. They were boring enough the first time around.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

If CCP made the exact same game as STO all of us EVE fans would be speechless and we would all back away slowly whispering ...the horror.....the horror. jk lol

Seriously though your post is ridiculous. 

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• mezlabormezlabor Member Posts: 133

Originally posted by ktanner3

Too funny

We appreciate the OP's opinions about STO and we wish them the best in all of their future endeavors.

It took a Mod 18 pages to close thead. Amazing that the OP gave the game another chance so soon. Glad that I'm not playing with any of those blue suckups. I'm curious just what they find interesting in that game. By this point they HAVE to be at end game with their characters and from what I've read there still isn't anything to do once you get there. Maybe they are leveling alts though I can't see why anyone would want to replay the same missions over and over again. They were boring enough the first time around.

They are all doing their dailies with teir 1 ships and gimped bridge officers to make the game harder of course!

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

Too funny

they are moderator endorsed trolls. honestly if money were no object or you could get a lifetime sub for sto for free, wouldnt it be fun once in a while to log on and be allowed to flame other people with the moderators essentially cheering you on for lying through you teeth? i posted several time before my account went inactive that the only challenging or remotely fun pvp in sto happened on there forums.... i stand by that.

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• JorikuzaJorikuza Member Posts: 46

Anyone here who wants to get attention, defend STO in anyway!

But seriously, a lot of you just jumped on my post! :'P

"GRRAWRARAWR STO DEFENDOR, ATTACK HIM!"

Ah, I kid, I kid... you're all good people... I think?

"I went to the store to buy a candle holder. They were out, so I bought a cake." -Mitch Hedberg

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

"GRRAWRARAWR STO DEFENDOR, ATTACK HIM!"

Ah, I kid, I kid... you're all good people... I think?

I hope you know we were not replying to your post because your an STO fan.....it is just your logic is so far from reality that we just had to comment. insert any game into your comment and i would have still commented on how ridiculous your post was. 

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• PermianPermian Member CommonPosts: 78

Go buy STO and form an opinion of your own then come back and compare with what has been said. Only then will you understand the source of the negativity. I guarantee once you get used to the graphics and get over the initial "wow this is cool" factor and start to experience what the game is really like you'll find: shallow game play, content implemented via the fast track method of repetitiveness, progression that is too easy, gaps in the content and the ultimate dead end of the end levels.

You'll start off on a high and end up within a couple of weeks on a low.

By that point you'll be bored and reconsidering paying a subscription and deciding it's not worth it. There is more wrong with STO than I've mentioned above, that was just an example.

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177

Originally posted by mezlabor

Too funny

They are all doing their dailies with teir 1 ships and gimped bridge officers to make the game harder of course!

Nothing in this game is hard.  When Cryptic wants to make things hard they just pour a ton of bad guys into the mission that keep re-spawning and call that makeing the game challenging.  This game has no tactics what so ever and I let my 5 year old do all my ground combat and once he can figure out how to use the icons for space he will be doing that.

• bstiffbstiff Member Posts: 359

Well now they have the difficulty slider and death penalty coming so we'll see how it goes. Has any other mmo had a diffculty slide? I think coh had something similar for task forces but It's been so long I can't remember.  All adding them did was add another faction to the forums. You had the LTS crowd, the monthlies and now you have the leet hardcore crowd calling everyone carebears.  GG cryptic way to make one of the worst communites on the internet even worse. 

It's funny, you see the LTS crowd claiming nothing has happened to the sto population but in the next post, they're giving cryptic ideas to add new players or "ramp up" the community. If the population is fine and you don't care about the numbers why feel like you have to help add new blood?  Sounds like MMO LTS stockholm syndrome to me.

There was a guy a couple days ago claiming he was trying to do one of the new fleet actions and couldn't find more than 10 people scattered across 3 instances.  The forum response was " oh no one does  that one because of x." On a week old fleet action? Way to rationalize.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

This is what I don't understand. If I am playing a game that I think is bad, and the reason it's bad is the game company doesn't care about putting out a good product, then why would they care about me posting an "I quit" thread? All that does is invite people to jeer at me lol.

If I hate the game enough, I quit and post negative reviews on other sites where they can't stop me. But telling Cryptic is like trying to explain to a bank robber why taking other people's property is a bad thing. It presumes they are interested.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Originally posted by Amathe

This is what I don't understand. If I am playing a game that I think is bad, and the reason it's bad is the game company doesn't care about putting out a good product, then why would they care about me posting an "I quit" thread? All that does is invite people to jeer at me lol.

If I hate the game enough, I quit and post negative reviews on other sites where they can't stop me. But telling Cryptic is like trying to explain to a bank robber why taking other people's property is a bad thing. It presumes they are interested.

I think I can speak to that because STO was the first and only game I ever posted an I quit thread on the boards of though the one we are discussing in this thread is not mine.  While my views of Cryptic and their business practices have changed negatively in the last few days I did not have such a grim outlook on them to start with.  I simply thought they suffered from bad design philosophy the games they have always created have always lacked depth which I thought STO would also suffer from, I was though unawre it would suffer as greatly as it does from the lack of depth.

My initialplan (which I did follow) was to order and sub knowing that the game already seemed fairly shallow and give them until their first two announced updates to add actual and true content to the game but they didn't.

What got to me though was reading the season one and season two list of features and seeing that they were equal in content from the sto store to free content and that the free content really only took the form of one or two task force missions.

That's when I realized that they in fact be more money grubbing than I was willing to allow myself to believe and as such I made it a point to let them and the player base know that this is/was my take.  Cryptic does have a pretty light exit survey where I also let them know but I certainly wanted the players to know the way I felt too.  So in essence I don't know that people who post on the boards do it just to let Cryptic know the way they feel but also the player base.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

While not an "I quit" thread, I saw a very good post along those lines in a thread dealing with the core problems of the game: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=2497085&postcount=7

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

Originally posted by Amathe

personally i posted some constructive criticism and a fairly polite i quit and this is why post. i didnt get rude and try to cost cryptic customers (thats the reason to post i quit threads on their forums, to encourage others to leave) until cryptic sent out a nice note telling us all how some of us "just didnt get it". that was rude, unproffessional and to be honest histarically funny in hindsight.

every major review "didnt get it" i guess as they were all negative.

84% of people who post on mmorpg "didnt get it" as they had cancelled there accounts.

i cant speak for others but after essentially being trolled like that, i now will go out of my way to warn others that sto is a very bad game imho. i will encourage others to try any other game first, with the hopes that cryptic and atari go bankrupt. the game cryptic produced was a blatant cash grab, and telling people that "they just dont get it" when they call cryptic on the total lack of content or playbility in sto is begging people to take offence.

with enough offended people you get what cryptic now has..... arguably the worst online community out there. and i proudly will state that after being insulted by cryptic i helped contribute to that. i dont mind being ripped off for the 50$ for the box and 30 days game time, but then being insulted?

i got news for cryptic... i do get it, it was a cash grab.

with the delightfully comical incompetence cryptic calls customer relations hopefully they will soon "get it"..............  when you piss off the vast majority of your customer's, pretty soon not enough people are sending you money to keep the doors open.

that is a message i hope cryptic just does get, and the sooner the better.

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME