Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: "Celestial Steed" Brings in $2 Million in Four Hours

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Yesterday, Blizzard announced two new additions to their Blizzard Pet Store, a new "Celestial Steed" flying mount, something that has never been sold on the Blizzard store before, and a "Lil XT" companion pet. The real story here is the flying mount, which even while running a steep $25 a pop, managed to generate $2 million in sales over a four hour period.

Can you say "cha-ching"?

Check out the original story over at 1UP.

Comments

• SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126

And thats why companies nickel and dime. And I bet some of the people who complained here about it on blizz forums. Went right online and got them one lol....

• SilacoidSilacoid Member UncommonPosts: 237

I find it pretty amazing that people would pay $25 for a change in graphics.

• CladhopperCladhopper Member UncommonPosts: 30

Well at 20 a hit thats only 100,000 people. When you have millions of subs thats really not a lot of people. So this really isn't that impressive.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Originally posted by Cladhopper

Well at 20 a hit thats only 100,000 people. When you have millions of subs thats really not a lot of people. So this really isn't that impressive.

If this isn't impressive then I don't know what is. How many man hours do you think they spent on this? Do the simple math income / man-hours and tell me at least one thing with a better profit ratio.

REALITY CHECK

• KuriakosKuriakos Member Posts: 27

I wonder what all the item shop nay sayers will have to say about this.  Especially the ones that play WoW.  I think Blizzard sees that cash shops do generate money and this will be a trend that continues.  Not to a point where anything crazy is put up there like the best weapon in the game.  Though it is a 310% flying mount and a 100% land mount that is bound to your account so that every single character you have or will create will automattically have one of the fastest mounts in the game.   Usually to get this type of mount you have to work at it now you can pay $25 and move at top speeds.  Interesting.

This is just a thought.  So please don't blow flames at it. I am not for or against item/cash shops.  This mount looks pretty cool and even had me thinking of getting one just so that I can collect it.  

• FraxtureFraxture Member UncommonPosts: 121

It's their money, why would you care how they spend it?

• CladhopperCladhopper Member UncommonPosts: 30

Thats not what Im saying and I think people are taking it WAY out of porpotion. How much money they are making yea everyone knows they made it and they made it fast. Im saying it should have been more. Last tiem I cheched they had somewhere around 10 millions subs. Or something like that. They should have sold more in a less time.. The ratio isn't that great is what im saying and yea they probley took all of 10 mins to make it than sold it.

Either you like it or not its not going to change all the hell bringing people are trying to do lol its not going to matter.

• gradysangradysan Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by Kuriakos

I wonder what all the item shop nay sayers will have to say about this.  Especially the ones that play WoW.  I think Blizzard sees that cash shops do generate money and this will be a trend that continues.  Not to a point where anything crazy is put up there like the best weapon in the game.  Though it is a 310% flying mount and a 100% land mount that is bound to your account so that every single character you have or will create will automattically have one of the fastest mounts in the game.   Usually to get this type of mount you have to work at it now you can pay $25 and move at top speeds.  Interesting.

This is just a thought.  So please don't blow flames at it. I am not for or against item/cash shops.  This mount looks pretty cool and even had me thinking of getting one just so that I can collect it.  

Not the case.  It will only go as fast as your fastest mount.  I wonder how many people bought it thinking that though.....lol!

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Moving 80,000 units in 4 hours isn't impressive? Sheesh. The 10 million subs they have are not in North America, but combined from around the globe. Getting 80,000 people in North America to participate in microtransactions on a single item (which is entirely fluff and has absolutely no gameplay functionality) at a high cost is impressive in of itself, getting that amount of people to do so within four hours is even more impressive.

That's just my opinion, though.

• KuriakosKuriakos Member Posts: 27

Originally posted by gradysan

Originally posted by Kuriakos

Not the case.  It will only go as fast as your fastest mount.  I wonder how many people bought it thinking that though.....lol!

You are right Gradysan.  I misread that myself.  Makes me wonder how many people did too. lol.  =)

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

I think it's safe to say that we'll be seeing more mounts available from the Blizzard Store. I'm not a fan of cash shops, but at least those of us who don't want to be joined at the hip with others, running the same instances over and over will have a chance to get decent items too. It should be remembered, though, that Blizzard is looking at their payment model. Is this another step in WoW going free-to-play?

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• GamerAeonGamerAeon Member Posts: 567

I just hope the F2P folks don't get any bright ideas from this.

newsflash to them they're not Blizzard nor do they have a hugely successful game.

But I hang my head in dismay that Blizzard is not ONLY charging you to GET the game itself, They also charge a Sub fee and then have the gaul to put up an Item Shop too?!

MMOs are just going downhill steadily *sigh*

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

So, lets take the maths global.

In micro transaction games it is the industry standard to expect that 10% of the playerbase will buy from the shop, so if 10% of WoW's playerbase buys the mount from the shop, that is a cool $25,000,000 which is pretty much pure profit.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Originally posted by GamerAeon

I just hope the F2P folks don't get any bright ideas from this.

newsflash to them they're not Blizzard nor do they have a hugely successful game.

But I hang my head in dismay that Blizzard is not ONLY charging you to GET the game itself, They also charge a Sub fee and then have the gaul to put up an Item Shop too?!

MMOs are just going downhill steadily *sigh*

Don't many of the F2P games offer mount "rental" from their cash shops? Or for a higher price, permanent ones?

Many of the F2Ps I've tried do this... don't know how Blizz doing this would give them an idea they haven't already had.

Seems to me like Blizz is taking a leaf out of the F2P play-book here.

• Originally posted by Thillian

If this isn't impressive then I don't know what is. How many man hours do you think they spent on this? Do the simple math income / man-hours and tell me at least one thing with a better profit ratio.

I bet it was 10 hours of 1 graphic artists time, and maybe 1 hour of time to over lay the skin ontop of the invincible mount reigns that drop off of HM LK25.

So i'd go with a liberal estimate of 11 hours total time spent on it.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

That was in only the first 4 hours.... It will be interesting to see what their haul is after the first two weeks.  There is obviously a demand for this, so they are simply supplying that demand.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

now that is so awesome marketing also proof that ppl are wiling to sped some money on virtual items that have no effect on gameplay, will wow sell sant clauss hats on xmas for 5$ ? if they do that i bet will beat this 

BestSigEver :P

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558

Originally posted by Thillian

You win the thread.

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829

it's beacause of things like this that make me hate this game even more... now you don't even have to earn anything, you can just buy your mount off the internet....

• FraxtureFraxture Member UncommonPosts: 121

My wife made a good point.

If she bought a WOW T-shirt, she should feel guilty wearing it because you couldn't buy one?

It's merchandise, you aren't forced to buy it.

If someone has the funds to get what most players have the time to get, then so be it.

My wife is a mom, an employee and a volunteer. She can pull off getting this mount with out being a child living in their parent's basement playing 12 hours a day to get all the cool things.

• illanadanillanadan Member Posts: 314

Originally posted by FreddyNoNose

Originally posted by Thillian

You win the thread.

I completely agree!

- Case: Thermaltake Kandalf Black Chassis
    - CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz (OC'd 4.2GHz on Water Cooling)
    - Memory: Mushkin 8Gb (4x 2Gb) DDR3 1600Mhz
    - HDD: Dual Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM
    - GFX: (2) XFX Radeon HD 5870 in CrossFire - New upgrade! :)

"I like wow, I like aion and I like AoC all for different reasons.....the later cause i get to see boobs, but still its a reason!!" - Sawlstone

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

If Blizzard made it so that somehow a player could get this mount in game w/o paying for it in the cash shop I'd say no big deal. (even if it was a stupidly tough quest).

But this once again sets a bad precedence and you'll see other developers emulate this hoping to score big.  Worse, while Blizz might keep it benign, (imparts no real benefit) other shops won't be able to resist making such an item 5% better than anything in game.  And you're on the road to hell after that.

[Mod Edit]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• InterestingInteresting Member UncommonPosts: 972

Originally posted by Katilla

it's beacause of things like this that make me hate this game even more... now you don't even have to earn anything, you can just buy your mount off the internet....

"Dont want to do what it takes in-game to get a mount?"

BUY IT NOW! JUST $25!

YOU DONT NEED TO PLAY THE GAME TO GET IT IF YOU DONT WANT TO!

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

When I bought mine yesterday morning shortly after the story broke on wow.com, the queue to checkout my purchase had 3352 people in it. As more and more folks learned about the mount, the queue got longer and longer. By prime time last night, many people had acquired the mount yet the queue had grown to 165,432 and counting. All with no pre-marketing or leaks. Good day for Blizz cash flow, good day for players who like pretty mounts or collect them.

I'm one of the folks against cash stores with items that buff your toon or somehow provide a competitve edge. So far anyway, Blizz has managed to run a successful store with fluff items and that's win/win for interested parties.