Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What you make you quit WoW for another MMO permernantly?

Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572

To those that play WoW, obviously. What would be the top criteria for you to go to another MMO?

Comments

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

Originally posted by Tutu2

To those that play WoW, obviously. What would be the top criteria for you to go to another MMO?

Well I don't currently play WoW anymore but to answer your question....WoW. WoW will make me move to another game permanently. The games been around long enough to have given me my fill of it.

• LethanderLethander Member Posts: 54

I didn't quit WoW for another game. I quit WoW because it ceased to be the "WoW" that I origionally fell in love with. Blizzard has ruined WoW to me and it is just an abomination of its former self in my eyes. Once it stopped being fun I quit went back and checked on it a few times since then (7months ago) and each time I try again I'm further dissapointed with the direction its gone.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

I will quit WOW when everyone thinks its cool to play something else. Farmville maybe. I hear thats becoming the game to play.

-kidding, i dont play wow and never will

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

They'd have to beat WoW's combat system.

I charge a group of four, intimidating shout to scatter them, intercept their healer, hamstring her, whirlwind to chop her down, I turn to face her comrades.

See what happened there?  I'm the hero.  In most MMOs everyone would have far too much health and do far to little damage to pull that off.

No, you can't pull that off everday, smart players will counter it, but when you can pull it off, it sure feels great.

WoW's lack of lag helps the combat too.  When you cast an instant spell in WoW, it's instant.  You don't have to worry about the image of your foe not being where he is.  You don't have to worry about dying due to lag stun where you can't move.

And then there's the content and lore.

Maybe free beer would get people to leave.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• Originally posted by Lethander

I didn't quit WoW for another game. I quit WoW because it ceased to be the "WoW" that I origionally fell in love with. Blizzard has ruined WoW to me and it is just an abomination of its former self in my eyes. Once it stopped being fun I quit went back and checked on it a few times since then (7months ago) and each time I try again I'm further dissapointed with the direction its gone.

Me also, mostly. Once you get to max level there simply is not much to do of any interest unless you raiding. I just got totaly bored with it

I quit MMO's totally for about a year, now back to playing EQ2 for the 3rd or 4th time.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

I quit Wow because of it's endgame design.   I'm a soloer and Wow is moderately solo-friendly until the endgame, then it's group up or give up.    I despise that type of bait and switch and to be fair, Wow isn't the only one guilty of it.    If there are any MMOs out there that have mechanics that let me enjoy the endgame content without grouping, please send me an email, you have a good chance of getting some subscription money.

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941

Originally posted by SwampRob

I quit Wow because of it's endgame design.   I'm a soloer and Wow is moderately solo-friendly until the endgame, then it's group up or give up.    I despise that type of bait and switch and to be fair, Wow isn't the only one guilty of it.    If there are any MMOs out there that have mechanics that let me enjoy the endgame content without grouping, please send me an email, you have a good chance of getting some subscription money.

If you want to solo everything then why do you want to play a mmo game?

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

WOW is the best cooperative multiplayer game on the market.  When a superior cooperative game comes out, I'll play that.  I can't really nail down specific features that such a game would have, because there are so many potential ways you could craft a superior coop game experience.

TOR, GW2, and Diablo 3 all have high potential to have better coop than WOW.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

The OP is assuming that we gamers ONLY play one MMORPG. I am baffled by this. I personally, play WoW off and on through the years. I also play EQ2, LOTRO, AoC, WAR, Eve, Darkfall, etc. off and on as well. The beauty of these games is I can stop them for awhile, go play something different or new and come back later and enjoy it just as much.

For me to permanently stop playing any of these they have to either close shop or hit some imaginary line in the future where the game is too old for my taste...but I have no precedence for that yet so at this point it is just conjecture.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

Originally posted by Edli

Originally posted by SwampRob

If you want to solo everything then why do you want to play a mmo game?

There are a great many reasons to play an MMO that have nothing to do with teaming-up.   You should be able to easily find them in numerous threads with a quick search.

• BlueharpBlueharp Member Posts: 301

The ability to actually kill goldspammers.

In real life.  That would make me switch in a heart-beat.

Seriously, as I see it, there's at least two ways to look at this question, one is "What does an MMO have to do to get me to play it?"  and the other is "What should your MMO do that WOW doesn't, or should do better?" and well, the two may not have the same answers.

Ultimately though, whatever you did, I'd want you to do it well with a minimum of stupid annoyances.   Don't just say "Hey, WOW's not doing this thing, but we are, you want it" and expect much.

That's a hollow claim at best.   A killer of any potential reputation at worst.

• brutalGOREbrutalGORE Member Posts: 21

are you serious??? FF11 was the best coop mmo out there......wow is nothing more than a game for kids and their epeens.

• BlueharpBlueharp Member Posts: 301

Originally posted by uquipu

WoW's lack of lag helps the combat too.  When you cast an instant spell in WoW, it's instant.  You don't have to worry about the image of your foe not being where he is.  You don't have to worry about dying due to lag stun where you can't move.

Except in Wintergrasp and other large BG events.  And occasional AOE-fests in 25-mans.  And on patch days sometimes.

But fixing that is tricky.   Maybe it's the protocols used, maybe it's people's networks between them and the server.

• spydermr2spydermr2 Member Posts: 336

WoW's combat the best?   Um... IMHO, no.  Not even close.

Vanguard's class design and combat is far more interesting and involving.

LOTRO has in its Warden alone a more interesting combat dynamic than anything in WoW.

Original Star Wars (pre-stupid-game-ruining-update)

And on and on...

To the original:  What drove me from WoW?

-- unrelentingly crude behavior on the part of the community

-- neverending elitist crap from the community

-- no addition of systems that flesh out the world, like housing.  They're interested in feeding people new instances and RAIDs, not fleshing out what otherwise could have been a fascinating gameworld.  Give me a stake in the world, a place to hang my hat and show off my kills; give me a capacity to wage politics (a la Vanguard's diplomacy system, for instance) as well as warfare.  Tons of things they could be doing  with all their record-setting subscription income... and they're not doing any of it.

-- Better games:  Vanguard (even in its still-buggy state), LOTRO, hell even F2P's give the same experience as WoW (like PWI) and i havent' spent a dime on it. 

-- Better crafting:  again, Vanguard's crafting is much more interesting.  If they aren't going to create a mechanism to represent your efforts better, they could at least polish it up and add some spice at all levels, some customizability.  LOTRO's crafting I consider to be close to WoW's, but slightly higher because there is at least a tiny method for creating "not just the same copper sword".  Hell, PWI's crafting offers more customization than WoW's.  Again, it's about the focus:  WoW's audience has no interest in a fleshed-out gameworld, they just want the same thing they already have but in new colors and layouts (more RAIDs, yeah! - not).   In the ultimate insult:  heck, Horizons, or whatever they're calling it now, had vastly superior crafting to WoW's.  Pity they never built a game to go with it (sarcasm intended).

Enough for now.  Have fun.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

They'd have to beat WoW's combat system.

I charge a group of four, intimidating shout to scatter them, intercept their healer, hamstring her, whirlwind to chop her down, I turn to face her comrades.

See what happened there?  I'm the hero.  In most MMOs everyone would have far too much health and do far to little damage to pull that off.

No, you can't pull that off everday, smart players will counter it, but when you can pull it off, it sure feels great.

And then there's the content and lore.

Maybe free beer would get people to leave.

Dark Age of Camelot already has a better combat system, just too many people haven't played it.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

i left wow when they implemented the dungeon find feature and wow lost the world in

WORLD OF WARCRAFT!

now you can all call it warcraft!like it was before!

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Whoops. Got distracted by some replies, and didn't answer. I don't play WoW, so can't answer.

Originally posted by drbaltazar

i left wow when they implemented the dungeon find feature and wow lost the world in

WORLD OF WARCRAFT!

Well, half the world feel was already gone just having instances instead of regular public dungeons like real MMORPGs have. But yeah, the dungeon finder was the last nail in the coffin. Might as well play Diablo. 

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

I'm not sure really. I really enjoy my time in WoW, if I didn't I wouldn't be playing when I do. That being said, I play several games (online and off) so I'm not 100% stuck on any game.

Honestly, I think if a game pulls me in it simply has to be a subject matter which interests me, of quality development, interesting premise and something that can hold my attention.

I have high hopes that CCP's WOD Online might take my full attention when it's finally ready to come out but that's just because of my extremely high interest on the genre and with obviously very little knowledge of what they are planning.

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

WORLD OF WARCRAFT!

I don't understand.

You don't have to use the Looking for Dungeon tool.

Join a good guild and go on guild runs.  If you can't find a guild tank or healer?  Use the LFD tool to get one.

Can you explain why you think the LFD tool is a bad idea?  How did it lose the world?

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

Player freedom with consequences.

"World", instead of "storyline."

More realistic graphics.

Animations as smooth as WOW.

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

WORLD OF WARCRAFT!

I don't understand.

Join a good guild and go on guild runs.  If you can't find a guild tank or healer?  Use the LFD tool to get one.

Can you explain why you think the LFD tool is a bad idea?  How did it lose the world?

The "Looking for Dungeon" tool, like any path-of-least-resistance implementation will get used whether it is liked or not.  If someone created a Wild West MMO, for example, and implemented a portal in Boston to Denver, Colorado, folks would step through it despite it being more fun to take the wagon train West.

Remember,

Path of Least Resistance   !=   Most Fun

• NeVeRLiFtNeVeRLiFt Member UncommonPosts: 380

WORLD OF WARCRAFT!

I don't understand.

The LFG was a nice feature but its also had several draw backs that has hurt the game even more than its helped it.

First off the community which was already bad has went even futher down hill because no one cares, they will see a person from another server and act like douche bags or just silently run the instance making the random comments about gear score and or their poor luck with bosses not dropping the items they want, and then never see that person again.

People stand in town now and que up and do nothing else, you can literally have a new character to level 80 in 8-21 days depending on how you play the game. And then if you're a tank class you can be geared out for ICC 10man in 3days maybe more if you unlucky. And even a dps class can be geared out for ICC 10man in less than 3wks.

WoW is serious easy mode right now and has no end game or challenge to it except ICC and trust me that place gets boring real quick even if you have not downed the lich king.

And to answer the question I quit WoW for LotRO.

And there's always Starwars: TOR or FFXIV coming down the road.

Played: MCO - EQ/EQ2 - WoW - VG - WAR - AoC - LoTRO - DDO - GW/GW2 - Eve - Rift - FE - TSW - TSO - WS - ESO - AA - BD
    Playing: Sims 3 & 4, Diablo3 and PoE
    Waiting on: Lost Ark
    Who's going to make a Cyberpunk MMO?

Originally posted by pencilrick

WORLD OF WARCRAFT!

I don't understand.

The "Looking for Dungeon" tool, like any path-of-least-resistance implementation will get used whether it is liked or not.  If someone created a Wild West MMO, for example, and implemented a portal in Boston to Denver, Colorado, folks would step through it despite it being more fun to take the wagon train West.

Remember,

Path of Least Resistance   !=   Most Fun

Most people don't realize this. They go "if you don't like it don't use it" and have no ability to comprehend how it changes the game. It's very frustrating. Same with making soloing more viable than grouping. They say "well then just group no one is stopping you" not realizing that it''ll be almost impossible to find a group in a game that rewards soloing. 

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

WoW's lack of lag helps the combat too.  When you cast an instant spell in WoW, it's instant. 

No, it's not instant. I played back before the 'spell haste' was put in. Then instants were instant. Not anymore.

I do agree that the combat is generally very smooth, but there are issues - like terrain not blocking channeled spells.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2