Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alganon: New Look Screenshots, Logo

2»

Comments

• dsmartdsmart Member UncommonPosts: 386

Originally posted by zeowyrm

Originally posted by dsmart

[Mod Edit]

Its not the first compliment I've given you, and there's no need to be nasty about it.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/3494364#3494364

I call it like I see it.  Believe it or not, I actually enjoy it when you provide new information to us about the game.

Thats just two of the posts standing. Again, giving a compliment laced with back handed commentary is not my idea of being complimentary. Sure you are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.

But tell you what, we're done and I'm gone.

I think my posts are more meaningful over on the Alganon forums where gamers who actually like and play the game welcome information and provide commentary without the underhanded derogatory missives.

So, once again, I'm out. So have at it.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living.
    If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
    ...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179

I think it's lright, not a fan of the player/target portraits, however.

Will/is the UI be open to mod/customize?

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

[Mod Edit]

Its not the first compliment I've given you, and there's no need to be nasty about it.

I call it like I see it.  Believe it or not, I actually enjoy it when you provide new information to us about the game.

Thats just two of the posts standing. Again, giving a compliment laced with back handed commentary is not my idea of being complimentary. Sure you are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.

I think my posts are more meaningful over on the Alganon forums where gamers who actually like and play the game welcome information and provide commentary without the underhanded derogatory missives.

Really? You're going to give up because of one guy? Doesn't seem like a solid PR campaign.

Originally posted by skeaser

[Mod Edit]

Really? You're going to give up because of one guy? Doesn't seem like a solid PR campaign.

Actually, I was refering to my engaging in pointless rhetoric. Of course I will continue to answer questions and such if any pop up here.

Originally posted by Christopher8

So do all the icons skill, race and so forth have new artwork done?

No. For the most part, they are fine as they are but they blend in well with the new UI.

[Mod Edit]

Actually, I was refering to my engaging in pointless rhetoric. Of course I will continue to answer questions and such if any pop up here.

Ahh, cool, guess I misunderstood, thought you were gone.

So, back to my question, will we be able to mod/customize the UI?

I think it's lright, not a fan of the player/target portraits, however.

Will/is the UI be open to mod/customize?

No, modular customization is no longer in the works. I killed that plan back in Feb because getting the game done was far more important than spending resources on making anything customizable via modding.

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039

Looks much better. Still very similar to wows, but at least it looks a little different.

• prototypoprototypo Member UncommonPosts: 179

Okay i got a question, you said sometime ago (Or one of your people) that the in-game mounts will require feed to keep going is that going to be way to get us to pay MT's over & over again? i know someone said that some stuff can be earned in game but what will be the fine line between earning and having to to pay?

Originally posted by prototypo

Okay i got a question, you said sometime ago (Or one of your people) that the in-game mounts will require feed to keep going is that going to be way to get us to pay MT's over & over again? i know someone said that some stuff can be earned in game but what will be the fine line between earning and having to to pay?

Nope, that definitely wasn't me who said that.

Anyway, I asked the team and I got the full picture of how it currently works in the upcoming release. Let me break down from what I gathered from them as well as from the design notes.

1. There are mounts that you can buy with Tributes (our micro-transaction currency). The "Tribute mounts" are the only ones which will require ongoing upkeep; though there are some which are permanent and don't require upkeep.

2. There is no concept of "feeding" mounts in terms of upkeep. If the duration for a Tribute mount  is, say,  7 days, you have to pay the sale price every 7 days or the mount goes away. e.g. if you buy a Bronze Arvak for 340 Tributes ($1.87), you get it for 7 days and you have to pay 340 Tributes every 7 days to keep it.

Of course you can let it expire or get something better e.g. An Exalted War Charger costs 4400 ($24.20) but is permanent (i.e. no weekly upkeep payments).

3. Unlike the standard mounts found in the game, Tribute mounts have no level or cross-faction restrictions

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

Anyway, I asked the team and I got the full picture of how it currently works in the upcoming release. Let me break down from what I gathered from them as well as from the design notes.

1. There are mounts that you can buy with Tributes (our micro-transaction currency). The "Tribute mounts" are the only ones which will require ongoing upkeep; though there are some which are permanent and don't require upkeep.

2. There is no concept of "feeding" mounts in terms of upkeep. If the duration for a Tribute mount  is, say,  7 days, you have to pay the sale price every 7 days or the mount goes away. e.g. if you buy a Bronze Arvak for 340 Tributes ($1.87), you get it for 7 days and you have to pay 340 Tributes every 7 days to keep it.

Of course you can let it expire or get something better e.g. An Exalted War Charger costs 4400 ($24.20) but is permanent (i.e. no weekly upkeep payments).

3. Unlike the standard mounts found in the game, Tribute mounts have no level or cross-faction restrictions

So it's similar to the mount system of Runes of Magic then, where you can buy mounts for various periods of time?  I kind of like how RoM had that set up honestly, especially with all their various cosmetic mounts.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

the UI look better but there are allot of borders on teh UI, is there a option to turn borders transparent ?

BestSigEver :P

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

BARF @ new logo.

• prototypoprototypo Member UncommonPosts: 179

Thanx for that info, now im going to check this out when it launche's late april.

Thanx again dsmart

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Dislike the new logo, but the UI looks much better.

I do believe I may log back in on launch day to check things out. Glad to see things are improving.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

Very impressive looking UI there dsmart. I hope things continue to go as planned and will be looking to login my first character come May 1st. Not really waiting for anything in particular other than the re-launch, want to give the game a fair chance, ya know! :P But yeah, looks good. And just so I'm not mixed up here, the UI itself is customizable in-game right, e.g moving and resizing bars? If not are you guys using LUA? I'm a big customizer and did some personal mods for my guild when we played WoW back in the day and would love to get back into it. Thanks alot though for the time your spending answering questions. If anything, it shows your not just letting this game go by the wayside while you collect a paycheck, cough cough. Cheers man!

• kikinchazkikinchaz Member UncommonPosts: 562

Liking the new UI, will certainly be checking out the game when it relaunches. A pet peeve of myn is the ugly font used in the game, will you be looking at that? Seems like a very small niggle indeed, but some of the fonts used (such as character portrait ones) just look sloppy. EDIT : Seems like the team has changed some of the fonts, hard to tell for sure from a few screenshots but it's looking alot smarter :)

I don't approve of some of your interweb posts against people in the gaming community in the past DSmart, but that said I am extremely happy to see you coming here and really discussing the game and talking to the community. This is something lost in many developers at the moment, it's genuinely interesting to read about and really gives a feeling of the community shaping the experience. Keep it up, it's appreciated!

Originally posted by mackdawg19

Very impressive looking UI there dsmart. I hope things continue to go as planned and will be looking to login my first character come May 1st. Not really waiting for anything in particular other than the re-launch, want to give the game a fair chance, ya know! :P But yeah, looks good. And just so I'm not mixed up here, the UI itself is customizable in-game right, e.g moving and resizing bars? If not are you guys using LUA? I'm a big customizer and did some personal mods for my guild when we played WoW back in the day and would love to get back into it. Thanks alot though for the time your spending answering questions. If anything, it shows your not just letting this game go by the wayside while you collect a paycheck, cough cough. Cheers man!

There is an API for customizing and modding the game UI but because it was released under the "use at your own risk" type premise, I instructed the team to yank it. The last thing we need right now is for someone to mod it, mess things up - since its not even documented yet - pass it along and then we have a whole tribe of people being pissed at us for yet another foolish mistake.

In the future when things settle down, I will consider assigning resources to updating it to the latest game build, fully testing it, doing docs for it and OFFICIALLY supporting it.

But yeah, apart from that, you can move the UI elements around now.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Alivada

But I was like WTF? Why do I need to kill things to mine?

ROTFLMAO!!!

Well, I can clearly see the problem there. Anyway, I've added it to my list of things to discuss with the team. We'll see how it goes; hopefully we can find a way around that as long as it is within the premise of the game and doesn't break anything.

Quite frankly, you shouldn't have to go killing things in order to mine. Design flaw there. Am on it.

OK, good news!! This was already revised for the upcoming release. So now  you can mine and get crafting skill-ups all the way up to the next tier.

Hey Derek....

I was one of the original pre-paid buyers of the game, so...does that mean that, provided I don't put in for a refund (I don't intend to) that I'll be able to just re-download the client and start playing again?  I'm assuming there was a character wipe though, right, and we can just start over?

But I won't have to RE-purchase the game again, right?

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

yeah looks better than the old one.

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• HakiemHakiem Member Posts: 35

Originally posted by girlgeek

ROTFLMAO!!!

Well, I can clearly see the problem there. Anyway, I've added it to my list of things to discuss with the team. We'll see how it goes; hopefully we can find a way around that as long as it is within the premise of the game and doesn't break anything.

Quite frankly, you shouldn't have to go killing things in order to mine. Design flaw there. Am on it.

OK, good news!! This was already revised for the upcoming release. So now  you can mine and get crafting skill-ups all the way up to the next tier.

Hey Derek....

I was one of the original pre-paid buyers of the game, so...does that mean that, provided I don't put in for a refund (I don't intend to) that I'll be able to just re-download the client and start playing again?  I'm assuming there was a character wipe though, right, and we can just start over?

You'll be able to play just by redownloading the game client and cranking it up.  If you have problems, I'm sure a helpful CS person at QOL will be happy to help and these can be found on the forums most anytime of day.

There has been no character wipe since "Soft" Launch Dec. 1, 2009.

Just Me,

Tim

If rainbows only come out in the rain then I would like it to rain at least once a day.

Originally posted by girlgeek

ROTFLMAO!!!

Hey Derek....

Thats right. As long as you have your MyAlganon login info, you can just fire up the game - wait for what seems like an eternity while it downloads ALL the updates to bring the client current - then just go play.

There are no character wipes. In fact, your character is tied to you, not the game. So even if you were in the trial, then purchase the game, you can use the same characters, roll new ones etc.

As to the refunds, the current plan is to process them automatically. There is no opt in/out.