Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Earthrise: Game, Combat Video Delayed

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Masthead Studios has announced that Earthrise will not be making its Q2 2010 release date, and that the highly anticipated Earthrise combat video would be delayed as well. No date was provided for the release of either the game or the new video, however we can say for sure that the video will not be arriving before April 16. The announcement was made through an elaborate stunt on the official Earthrise forums featuring the demolition of the Earthrise development team by a vicious Jaberwokie.

Why the Jaberwokie? The Jaberwokie originates from an April Fool's Day stunt that Earthrise guild Gallowglass pulled in an attempt to gain new information about the game. As it would turn out, the mechanized assassin "Jaberwokie" has decimated the Masthead team, and has thus delayed the game. These things happen.

View the original announcement here.

[Thanks Joker2240 for the tip!]

Comments

• Joker2240Joker2240 Member Posts: 664

LOL! This was SOOO funny I applaud Masthead Studios!

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Thanks Masthead for both making a good decision for your game and being entertaining.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

This is the game i am most looking forward too. of coarse i'm excited for new information but i am glad they are taking their time to make this game right. Maybe they can break the cycle of indie MMO's being very buggy and incomplete at launch........a man can dream right? lol

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• VypreVypre Member Posts: 180

Originally posted by Nethermancer

Maybe they can break the cycle of indie MMO's being very buggy and incomplete at launch........a man can dream right?

*cough* As opposed to supposed established studios; SOE with Vanguard, Turbine with DDO, Cryptic with Champions/STO, Funcom with AoC, Mythic with WAR. 

Anywho, it's certainly good that it is delayed if Masthead  isnt confident with where they're at.  And this certainly does not only pertain to an established or indie stucdio, but it seems that Masthead and Realtime Worlds have more astute devs that realize the reality of crap out is followed by crap subscribership.

Striving for Silver Stars since Gold is so effeminate.

• strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 284

Originally posted by Vypre

Maybe they can break the cycle of indie MMO's being very buggy and incomplete at launch........a man can dream right?

*cough* As opposed to supposed established studios; SOE with Vanguard, Turbine with DDO, Cryptic with Champions/STO, Funcom with AoC, Mythic with WAR. 

Anywho, it's certainly good that it is delayed if Masthead  isnt confident with where they're at.  And this certainly does not only pertain to an established or indie stucdio, but it seems that Masthead and Realtime Worlds have more astute devs that realize the reality of crap out is followed by crap subscribership.

SoE made VG? Please get your info str8. Publisher and developer are 2 different things. SoE took over from Sigil 5 months AFTER the game was launched already. 

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

I guess...though I doubt I'm the only one I just haven't seen anyone say it, but, I would think part of the delay not only has to do with game issues that others of you more knowledgable than I have brought up but also that they have now been contracted by Interplay to make the Fallout MMO and have sunk considerable resources into working on that.

Just a thought. *shrug*

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

Originally posted by strykr619

SoE made VG? Please get your info str8. Publisher and developer are 2 different things. SoE took over from Sigil 5 months AFTER the game was launched already. 

Well, I'll agree with you that Sigil made Vanguard but I'm not naive enough to think SOE hadn't taken over VG until 5 months after it launched. No, Smedley and company had their fingers full into that game one it was announced that SOE was the new publisher before launch. Behind the scenes anyway. Course, my views are based on my past interactions with SOE and they are one zebra that most assuredly isn't changing its stripes. At least not while Smedley is still there.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Well, I'll agree with you that Sigil made Vanguard but I'm not naive enough to think SOE hadn't taken over VG until 5 months after it launched. No, Smedley and company had their fingers full into that game one it was announced that SOE was the new publisher before launch. Behind the scenes anyway. Course, my views are based on my past interactions with SOE and they are one zebra that most assuredly isn't changing its stripes. At least not while Smedley is still there.

This is why nobody takes SWG vets seriously.

SOE had nothing to do with Vangaurd. VSoH failed because the dev team ran out of money. It's as simple as that, it doesn't get any simpler, conspiracy theorists need not apply.

• WepdesignWepdesign Member Posts: 31

Why not say Spring 2011 like SWTOR. Case closed and we'll see updates everyday of the game like SWTOR and expecting atleast 2 mill. subscribers.

• jrs77jrs77 Member Posts: 419

I guess...though I doubt I'm the only one I just haven't seen anyone say it, but, I would think part of the delay not only has to do with game issues that others of you more knowledgable than I have brought up but also that they have now been contracted by Interplay to make the Fallout MMO and have sunk considerable resources into working on that.
    Just a thought. *shrug*

Masthead don't make the Fallout MMO, they only provide Interplay with their developer-tools and game-engine.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Shame. Easy to read too much into things but I am surprised that they can not (or will not) produce a combat video. It would be easy to (rightly or wrongly) draw the conclusion they are not happy with combat.

Originally posted by Gorilla
    Shame. Easy to read too much into things but I am surprised that they can not (or will not) produce a combat video. It would be easy to (rightly or wrongly) draw the conclusion they are not happy with combat.

Releasing a combat-video is not an easy decision, as seen last year this time around. So it's no wonder, that Masthead wants to get it 100% right this time. ;)

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

Arent their players in the beta? How come they dont leak videos?

Originally posted by mCalvert
    Arent their players in the beta? How come they dont leak videos?

The current beta-status is "family and friends".

So no outsiders are involved so far, and the reason why nothing leaks.

Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

SOE had nothing to do with Vangaurd. VSoH failed because the dev team ran out of money. It's as simple as that, it doesn't get any simpler, conspiracy theorists need not apply.

If this is an example of "nobody" I can certainly live with that.

It's well known that publishers insert a heavy hand in the games they sign on to publish. It may not be a "coding" hand but they are indeed involved in key decisions with respect to the product (lauch dates, certain milestones, etc.).

Chavez y Chavez

Originally posted by jrs77

Just a thought. *shrug*

Masthead don't make the Fallout MMO, they only provide Interplay with their developer-tools and game-engine.

Ahh, I was under the impression that they were signing on to make the game too. Oh well, nevermind then. Thanks for the correction. image

Chavez y Chavez

• postmanGGpostmanGG Member Posts: 7

Well one thing is for sure, we had a lot of fun at Gallowglass putting Project Jaberwokie together, have to hand it to Masthead, they responded beautifully.

Our intention was to have fun with it, and fun was definitly had, but now Gallowglass must press foward and begin our next evil plan.

GG Masthead :) Looking forward to ER!

• BelegStrongbowBelegStrongbow Member UncommonPosts: 296

IM buying this game just because of this article.  

*Claps Hands*

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

If this is an example of "nobody" I can certainly live with that.
    It's well known that publishers insert a heavy hand in the games they sign on to publish. It may not be a "coding" hand but they are indeed involved in key decisions with respect to the product (lauch dates, certain milestones, etc.).

So it's your contention that SOE "heavy handed" Vanguard even though it was only months from release at that point?

The issue never was the behavior of publishers, it was the timeframe. A fact that continues to escape you.

• OaksteadOakstead Member Posts: 455

Despite the creativity behind their announcement the fact remains that they have lost some key devs and no longer have a release date.  This is not a good sign although I hope they can pull through.

• HarabeckHarabeck Member Posts: 616

Originally posted by Oakstead

...they have lost some key devs...

Umm, that was just part of the joke. They haven't lost anyone.